PDA

View Full Version : Installed Shop Air!

Pearce
01-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Finally I have some shop air. This is going to be so nice for the build. I just did a very basic system. There was no need to run pipe all over the garage since I'll be using a 50' hose. But I was wondering, the IR tools I have run at 90 psi and when you pull the trigger the pressure at the regulator naturally drops. Does anyone set the regulator a little higher so when the tool is in use its closer to 90?

MoonWorks
01-06-2009, 09:23 PM
It's a little more than basic! lol Damn nice compressor!

Yes, I've got my regulator set a little high like you were saying. Just pay attention to where your impact is set b/c if you've got a good impact (of which I assume you do with that compressor) it can really tear some shit up if you aren't careful.

Mtn WJ
01-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Looks a lot like my shop air. Only my air compressor is a horizontal unit and I put in the garage rafters to0 get it out of the way.

Nice

Gaze
01-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Ugh... I'm jealous. I have a 80 Gallon tank that I have to keep outside of my shed.

CurtP
01-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Pipe does a lot more than just get air from point A to point B. That is a very strange air drop and I'm not following the logic of the layout. This is the diagram I've always used: http://www.tptools.com/StaticText/airline-piping-diagram.pdf
I also like this write up: http://www.tptools.com/StaticText/AirConsum.aspx

That is one of my favorite entry-level compressors - it's the exact same one I have (SS3L3). Learn from my mistakes - replace that little air filter with a Solberg. The filter is very small and it plugs easily. Mine plugged up, got hot and sucked in melted plastic from the inside of the filter housing (the outside of the filter looked fine). It would run continuously and only get up to 30 PSI. I had to pull the head off, replace one of the reed valves, and replace the head and valve plate gaskets. I used this air filter assembly: http://www.tptools.com/p/797,41_Solberg-Intake-FilterandSilencer.html

I also removed the drain valve and plumbed it so it stuck out the side of the tank with a ball valve so I could drain it easily. I did that after sticking my hand under the tank right into mouse turds.

paulkeith
01-07-2009, 12:21 AM
ok, so when do i get to mooch off your shop..? :flipoff2:

Kraqa
01-07-2009, 02:08 AM
i ran my last comp at 110.

even though the tools said 90. i just kept em well oiled. amazing what a cheep die grinder can do at 110 PSI. gets fawking COOOOOLD>

Kraqa
01-07-2009, 02:08 AM
oh and fuckgin awesome set-up.

rccolacc
01-07-2009, 09:57 AM
I think the shop here at my work is about 110. We use all IR tools and they hold up well. Anvils get broken off sometimes, but that's from someone hammering down on a bolt for more than 10 seconds. I don't think you're going to hurt the tool running more than 90psi to it.
-RC

Pearce
01-07-2009, 10:16 AM
CurtP, good call on the compressor filter. I will look into that. I'll probably also get around to extending the drain as well. I hate reaching under it.
I have a very short run so I didn't get fancy with the drop. I just made sure I had a low drain point before the fliter/regulator/oiler and then straight to my air hose connection. I need to go back and swap out the end cap on my low point and put a valve in, but I ran out of parts at the time. I had originally looked at the same diagram you posted a link to for help in doing this. The key part I did not do the first time around was put a union in like they suggest. That totally would have made things easier when I tried it first with all hard line. But I ended up with the short run of rubber line to keep wall vibrations down and ease of installation.

And thanks for the responses on pressure, I'll give it a try.

Pearce
01-07-2009, 10:25 AM
ok, so when do i get to mooch off your shop..? :flipoff2:

Bring the plasma cutter by anytime, you welcome to it :D

paulkeith
01-07-2009, 11:53 AM
where are you? within atlanta i mean.

Pearce
01-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Just west of downtown Roswell.

CurtP
01-07-2009, 01:08 PM
I was looking at buying a house in Roswell. My company was relocating to Atlanta, but they're firing all of us instead.

chadjans
01-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Iron pipe?

Pearce
01-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Yup, 1/2" black iron. Almost went copper but I don't have a torch, and have never sweat pipe before.

chadjans
01-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Iron pipe is not rated for potential pressures seen in compressed air applications. Only water or poo. It turns to shrapnel when it bursts.

Switch to copper. (at least anything before a PRV valve) Sweeting is easy. Heat it up and put some soder on it. Check for leaks. Repeat as neccessary.

CurtP
01-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Iron pipe is not rated for potential pressures seen in compressed air applications. Only water or poo. It turns to shrapnel when it bursts.

Are you fucking kidding me? You're going to tell me schedule 40 SA 53 ERW with threaded ends is less desirable than thin-walled soft copper tube with soldered joints? It's not really black iron.

Want scary? Most of the guys I know use schedule 40 PVC.

AprilzWarrior
01-08-2009, 12:11 AM
Are you fucking kidding me? You're going to tell me schedule 40 SA 53 ERW with threaded ends is less desirable than thin-walled soft copper tube with soldered joints? It's not really black iron.

Ummm yeah... I agree here... we've have used old pipe fittings on hydraulics. You would be surprised what alot of old timers would do and work just fine. Just not todays standards be any means, its almost third world to us these days. Sometimes simple works.

Mtn WJ
01-08-2009, 01:59 AM
So reading this thread gives me and Idea. I have a similar set up as noted previously with my air compressor in the garage. I am now thinking of putting on another T and extending a line to the front of the garage beside the garage door. This way I do not need to drag the air hose out through the garage to air up vehicles in the drive way. I know it sounds lazy in in reallity I am always dragging a hose outside and sometimes its to blow out the sprinklers and other things not car related.

Thanks for the inspiration. Oh and in my opinion with an air compressor and running air lines around. As long as it works and is safe who cares what you use.

nate
01-08-2009, 04:35 AM
That's what is in my Dad's shop. Been that way for 10-12 years now. Never had an issue even when it's -35 outside. (shop is only heated when he is in there working)

Gaze
01-08-2009, 12:33 PM
You officially inspired me to go out and buy a handful of new fittings and a new regulator last night so I can finally get my compressor up to potential.

Pearce
01-09-2009, 10:14 PM
ROCK ON!!! :rock: I go away for a few days to Miami and see the ALL MIGHTY GATORS WIN THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, WHOO HOOO, GO GATORS. And this thread gets more intersting! Still drinking............:partyman:

dp96zj
01-09-2009, 10:59 PM
ROCK ON!!! :rock: I go away for a few days to Miami and see the ALL MIGHTY GATORS WIN THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, WHOO HOOO, GO GATORS. And this thread gets more intersting! Still drinking............:partyman:

x2 Great game! The better team came out on top.

Go Gators!