PDA

View Full Version : Roof rack cargo solutions.

albersondh
12-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Trying to decide what I want up top. Originally I was dead set on a safari rack. Now I’m starting to rethink this idea. Nothing says I’m ready for Armageddon like a safari rack but I’m questioning the true functionality. I’m actually considering one of these:
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s150/albersondh/roofrackbox.png

Definitely not rocking much testosterone but maybe not a bad idea. The one I’m looking at is a monster at 54"L x 39"W x 19.5"H and 18cu-ft of space. Apparently they stay bone dry and are lockable. I measured out the ZJ tonight and it looks like it will not cover any part of the sunroof. So anyways, what’s everybody running and how do they like it? Your thoughts on the plastic roof case?? I wish they made a black one shaped like a coffin…..

fpkites
12-25-2008, 02:09 AM
I normally rock a basket, but when we're on trips that I need to pack the wife and kid (and all the kid's shit), I use a Sears box that I picked up last year sometime.

http://www.fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/MallCrawlin_Fall2008/Image%20452%20[1024x768].jpg

I'm not a huge fan of wheeling with it (if you flop, it's fucked), but for highway duty, I love it.

The newer ones are much more aerodynamic than the old ones. They fawk your fuel economy, but not too horrible. Sure is nice to get shit out of the cab and cargo area though.

From a security standpoint, I wouldn't put too much faith in it. Stick a screwdriver in the latch and it'll probably come open, or if you don't feel like being stealthy, you can take a BFH to it. I most definitely wouldn't put anything of value in there.

As long as you take care of them (store inside, replace the seal when it rots, etc), everything inside will stay nice and dry, even in the heaviest downpour.

Gaze
12-25-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm in the middle of weighing the same options. While a safari rack is certainly the more manly of options, I've been able to locate turtle shell cargo carriers much much cheaper!

albersondh
12-25-2008, 03:40 PM
I'm not a huge fan of wheeling with it (if you flop, it's fucked), but for highway duty, I love it.

From a security standpoint, I wouldn't put too much faith in it. Stick a screwdriver in the latch and it'll probably come open, or if you don't feel like being stealthy, you can take a BFH to it. I most definitely wouldn't put anything of value in there.

I just scored one of these: http://www.amazon.com/SportRack-A90095-Explorer-mounting-Included/dp/B000UULZMW
for $30. I think Ill man it up with the some UV proof camo paint, and rivet in a long hasp with a locking bar and a pad lock. Should help with the security/stability issue. A few reviews I found people are adding wood supports to make the bottom more ridged as well. We sleep in the back of the ZJ so the more space I can free up the better.

fpkites
12-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Just want to remind you about the BFH comment. You could put the biggest hasp and padlock you want on it, and some tweaker will come by with a BFH and smash the shit out of it.

Locks keep honest people honest. If somebody really wants to get in, they will. That's why I just put the bulky yet replaceable stuff in my cargo box when I use it.

Mine is normally hung up in the garage until I go on a trip with the wife and kidlet. Forget about parking in a carport or garage with it installed. My basket fits the carport, so it's up top for normal duty.

albersondh
12-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Just want to remind you about the BFH comment. You could put the biggest hasp and padlock you want on it, and some tweaker will come by with a BFH and smash the shit out of it.

Locks keep honest people honest. If somebody really wants to get in, they will. That's why I just put the bulky yet replaceable stuff in my cargo box when I use it.

Mine is normally hung up in the garage until I go on a trip with the wife and kidlet. Forget about parking in a carport or garage with it installed. My basket fits the carport, so it's up top for normal duty.

Of course. I know as well as anybody that if some D-bag wants in bad enough my lock is not going to stop them. But the least I can do is make it a more challenging. The same a-holes that would steal my junk are typically the same lazy a-holes who would not go the extra mile to come with bolt cutters. I don’t plan on leaving this thing on all the time, it will get used for trips and then live in my garage rafters the rest of time, and when it is in use it will carry mostly expendable gear. My ZJ is a daily driver in bad weather so I’m planning on keeping things as modular as possible for quick'ish removal when were not on trips. I’m planning the same logic for my winch. I need bumpers with integrated 2” receivers so I can pull the winch for daily driver use.