PDA

View Full Version : Tips for how to place all axle mounts in the right place?

redhatman
12-21-2008, 08:32 PM
My 8.8 Is pretty much ready to drop in, I just need to buy mounts. I am looking for some tips or a write-up on how most people get the mounts in the right place. I would measure off the old dana 35, but They are different specs so there is not too much to measure from.

Any tips are appreciated...Thanks guys.
-Pat

BigDaveZJ
12-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Why can't you measure off the D35? Determine your center point on both axles (remember the diff is offset on the 8.8) and go from there.

zj-monster
12-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Why can't you measure off the D35? Determine your center point on both axles (remember the diff is offset on the 8.8) and go from there.

X2

Measure twice or several times then weld. Can't go wrong.

CrawlerReady
12-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Just because the widths of the axles are different doesn't mean you can't measure off of them. Like Dave said, just find the center of each axle and then measure OUT to the mounts from the center.

redhatman
12-22-2008, 01:13 AM
Oh wow I wish I would have thought of that before I posted.... :/ Thanks guys.

Anyone know where to get some 8.8 mounts? I dont want to re-use.

racerx145
12-22-2008, 02:43 AM
Oh wow I wish I would have thought of that before I posted.... :/ Thanks guys.

Anyone know where to get some 8.8 mounts? I dont want to re-use.

Ballistic fabrication makes a ton of different mounts

redhatman
12-22-2008, 02:47 AM
Ok.....But If I am measuring from the center of the axle, I would want a flat part so I can have a straight guideline. However, the only way I can think of is the face of the diff where the cover goes. Am I just supposed to eyeball it everytime I make a measure from the "center"?

CrawlerReady
12-22-2008, 03:35 AM
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/Catalog/Mounting%20Hardware-Axle/8.8installkit.html

DJJordache
12-22-2008, 10:08 AM
tips for how to measure are in the 8.8 thread.....

Ken L
12-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Make yourself a jig to locate each set of parts. Lower control arm mounts, upper control arm mounts, etc. Something like a sleeve that goes in each mount that you can hold in place with just a bolt thru where the control arms mount, and then weld some stuff to them that you have laying around--flat stock, rebar, doesn't matter what, just so you have a jig or template as to the actual distance these parts are apart.

You'll notice that the mounts are the same distace from the brake backing plates on each side. So now that you know the length between the lower control arm mounts for example, take the parts and your jig to the new axle and measure equal distance on both sides from the backing plates.

indy242003
12-22-2008, 11:35 AM
I think you are way over thinking this. Determine the center line of the 35 and measure to the brackets. Find your center line on the 8.8 and measure your brackets out from there. Take everything from the center line and you will be fine.