PDA

View Full Version : tools, parts, etc...

grnd93
12-15-2008, 10:21 PM
the "internal storage" thread has got me to thinking about what I need to put in that storage unit. What "ZJ specific" parts and tools do you guys think is necessary. I'm sure everyones got their own opinions, so let's hear 'em...

ATL ZJ
12-15-2008, 10:28 PM
I never leave home without a Torx set, 5.2 plenum gasket, 4.0 exhaust manifold, and d35 spider gears. :flipoff2:

Obviously it depends on the rig in question. The main ZJ-related parts I carry are spare plugs and wires, a CPS, and a spare p/s pump. I am a firm believer in carrying at least one quart of every fluid your rig takes.

As far as tools go, a set of box wrenches and a socket set will get you a long way. But make sure you have a 15mm included- it's a size absent in a lot of smaller tool sets that is a must for anything threaded into the ZJ unibody, alternator, etc.

fpkites
12-15-2008, 10:50 PM
I've found that an 18mm open/box wrench is missing from sets - I make sure I've got one in the box.

As far as spare parts go, I make sure I have front axle shafts, front driveshaft with me on all trail runs, and I should get a unit bearing. Now that I have an e-fan, a spare Taurus fan will live in the back on big trail runs (Moab, etc)...basically anything where I'm more than a couple hours from home and the wifey can't run parts to me :D

I bring a lower control arm and a couple uppers to Moab with me (stock ones, just in case).

ATL ZJ
12-15-2008, 10:54 PM
I've found that an 18mm open/box wrench is missing from sets - I make sure I've got one in the box.

x2. That size is important for checking torque on trackbar bracket bolts/nuts, and changing p/s pressure lines.

fpkites
12-15-2008, 11:23 PM
A good 3/8" flare wrench is good to have as well for brakelines. Good does not equal Autozone brand...think Snap-On/Mac/Matco/Cornwell, or maybe Craftsman - I took the grinder to an Autozone one earlier this year so nobody else would go through the hell I did :D

JohnBoulderCO
12-16-2008, 01:39 PM
I carry all the TRE's for a WJ, a spare tie rod and drag link.

Edit: The two threads in the next post are good!

Ted_Z
12-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Some good threads covering this topic

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=15918
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=15713

Cody
12-16-2008, 02:03 PM
I carry a full set of open end wrenches and sockets, and a small bag of misc pliers, torx stuff, allen stuff, screw drivers, crescent, 44 hub socket, picks, etc. It's a pretty small set of tools but gets the job done on most stuff. I also carry a meter, and a variety of wire connectors, fuses, jumper cables etc for electrical. I carry a quart of every fluid, duct tape, an ARB tire repair kit (plug kit, valve stems, VS remover etc), 20# co2 tank for air. The only parts I carry are driveline ujoints, 2 spare hubs, some hose clamps and some rubber fuel line, steering box bolts (and a few other random bolts), and sometimes I throw in dana 44 shafts (but not as much recently since I have ctm's and warns and don't really push this rig that hard..and I have hubs so it's not a big deal to run with broken shafts). I think I'll buy some spark plugs..that was a good idea.

A lot of people consider me under prepared, but I consider myself more 'selective' in the stuff I bring along. I think I can handle 90% of the random stuff that predictably goes wong and it doesn't really take up much room. No matter how much crap you bring, you always have the chance of a random sensor or part failing and you just can't carry everything.

AgitatedPancake
12-16-2008, 02:27 PM
I carry a full set of open end wrenches and sockets, and a small bag of misc pliers, torx stuff, allen stuff, screw drivers, crescent, 44 hub socket, picks, etc. It's a pretty small set of tools but gets the job done on most stuff. I also carry a meter, and a variety of wire connectors, fuses, jumper cables etc for electrical. I carry a quart of every fluid, duct tape, an ARB tire repair kit (plug kit, valve stems, VS remover etc), 20# co2 tank for air. The only parts I carry are driveline ujoints, 2 spare hubs, some hose clamps and some rubber fuel line, steering box bolts (and a few other random bolts), and sometimes I throw in dana 44 shafts (but not as much recently since I have ctm's and warns and don't really push this rig that hard..and I have hubs so it's not a big deal to run with broken shafts). I think I'll buy some spark plugs..that was a good idea.

A lot of people consider me under prepared, but I consider myself more 'selective' in the stuff I bring along. I think I can handle 90% of the random stuff that predictably goes wong and it doesn't really take up much room. No matter how much crap you bring, you always have the chance of a random sensor or part failing and you just can't carry everything.

I actually really like the selection you have, especially the electrical stuff. I don't think enough people carry electric supplies on the trails like some spare small wire and some connectors. When you say meter do you mean volt meter? I might have to throw one in now, I've already had a couple scenario's where that would have been handy.

I don't bring any steering stuff anymore because of the 1 ton I have on the 44, and I have 1/2" grade 8 bolts in my track bar. I usually carry my spare set of hubs, a FULL craftsman tool set (1/4, 3/8, 1/2 ratchets w/sockets, deep sockets, 44 hub socket, snap ring pliers. Between me and my buddies we always make sure we have 2 sets of jumper cables and some rod and scrap to weld with. it has saved my ass atleast once and other guys a few times. RTV, 2-3 quarts of gear oil, a quart of two of ATF, couple gallons of coolant/water, ps fluid, brake fluid, starting fluid, brake clean, tire gauge, valve core remover. I carry a spare brake line and a fuel line crimper (it works just fine for crimping a brake line if you blow one (http://www.matcotools.com/ProductImages/hp2285.jpg).

fpkites
12-16-2008, 02:33 PM
I guess it doesn't completely fit the bill, but it technically is a tool

Spill kit.

I'm quite partial to what Dave has - one of the el-cheapo catch pans with the screw on top, and inside is a ziploc freezer bag full of oil absorbent or kitty litter, and several fluid catch pads. I loved the ones we got at GSW, but Walmart also has OilZap (something like that) pads for a buck a piece. They look just like those pads you use to potty train dogs, and they'll hold a lot. I use them when I change out radiators, and they catch the pint or so of tranny fluid that spills out of the cooler lines.

BigDaveZJ
12-16-2008, 02:44 PM
I actually got the idea from Arlo on the tub. Then it didn't make any sense to keep it empty so I added the kitty litter.

My tools have kinda fluctuated over the years. Started out with nothing, then carried a ton, now it seems to be a bit more streamlined. I've got an Action Packer tub to hold most parts and liquids, then a Craftsman toolbox that holds all the tools. Axle shafts and such go in the area under the back seat. I used to carry about half the qty of fluids that the vehicle needed, but after the Red Cone incident with Pam's Jeep I'm starting to carry the full capacity of all fluids except coolant. I've got a full assortment of axle shafts for my rig (just fronts for Pam's), spare u-joints, hubs, ECM sometimes, assortment of wires and connectors, an ammo can full of random bolts, 4.0 and 5.2 fan belts, tire plug kit. Also have the 20# CO2 for air tools and tires. Definitely still keep the stock bottle jack in there to compliment the high lift. A floor jack is nice to have (ask anyone on Poison Spider with me at GSW07) but not a necessity IMO.

Typically what I'll do at a big event like GSW is also have a box of power tools that I keep back at the hotel for any major work to be done to get rigs back on the trail or back home too.

For me it's really just a matter of getting it back to the trailer, but I also believe in the "no man left behind" approach we take at GSW so I try to bring enough parts/tools to help other people out as well.

And Jim, I did happen to find that stubby 9/16" wrench we were talking about in October buried at the bottom of my tool box.

The big PITA for me isn't really what to bring, but how to organize it for easy access.

fpkites
12-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Organization is the bitch. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do there. Right now I've got the loose tools in a 3-drawer Crapsman steel box, Well stocked socket set, and then my trail kit has some tools that don't fit in the box plus recovery and such. Air bag has my old MV50 compressor, hoses, chucks, plus the hose for my 10# CO2.

Fluids are in an ammo can, and I'll be getting a second one soon, then fabbing something into my roof basket to get them out of the cab. ATF reeks when it leaks in the bottom of the ammo can.

I think Stan figured out the perfect way to get at that POS top nut on the transfer case. Worked like a dream when I did my 242 swap a few weeks ago. 3/8" ratchet with a universal and a shallow well 9/16" socket.

AgitatedPancake
12-16-2008, 02:52 PM
I almost forgot, I throw in a jackstand also, so between it and the high lift you can get a lot done. Right now I have a 1000W power inverter, so we usually bring battery powered tools and keep them on my charger. I've been thinking about running a 2000W inverter as it would be able to handle an angle grinder. I know about getting to tools dave, it seems that whenever I need something it's the first thing I tossed in the jeep so its under EVERYTHING....such a pain.

That no man left behind mentality is the only way to go, Ramon and Eric saved my ass by sitting with me for like 3 hours on hell's revenge when they hadn't even met me before.

grnd93
12-16-2008, 10:35 PM
Organization is the bitch. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do there.

I guess that's what I was getting at. If I can figure out what I need, then I can build a storage unit to accomodate that stuff. I plan to have a fairly large, deep drawer on the bottom for the tools, and a hinged compartment on top for the spare parts, etc. Not sure what to do with fluids yet, would like to have them in something that I can seal in case there is a spill.

I can remember when I was a mechanic in the Air Force. We used to prepare spare parts kits for vehicles we were shipping over seas. The idea was to provide the basics for at least 30 days of operation without maintenance support. Everything from air filters, to belts, to headlights went in those boxes. I also used to run our mobile maintenance truck. I converted a Chevy G-30 cube van into a mobile shop. Full set of tools, work bench, 12/24 volt jump start system...Had a little air compressor that I could tow behind if I needed air tools. It was nice to work out of that van when there was a vehicle broke down on the flight-line in a NoCal downpour.

fpkites
12-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Wow - you've dealt with a lot more difficult storage and organization than most of us have then.

It really boils down to how self-sufficient you want to be. It also depends on how you want to spread the load between yourself and your wheeling crew.

ATL ZJ
12-16-2008, 10:55 PM
It really boils down to how self-sufficient you want to be. It also depends on how you want to spread the load between yourself and your wheeling crew.

Bingo. It also depends on the location of your trip. If you are on a true desert expedition with only a few other rigs, or ALONE, you will need to bring a lot more than if you're just at a 500 acre ORV park with a parts store 15 minutes down the road. I pack differently for every trip depending on where I am going and who else is coming that uses common parts. ...But I won't even drive my tow rig around the block without a ratchet and socket set.

Cody
12-17-2008, 01:14 AM
I figure I only bring tools I know how to use, and parts I know how to change lol. I bring more than the average assortment of electrical, because that is one of the few things I consider myself better than average at. Craftsman makes a super compact multi-meter that is perfect for most trail repairs. this one (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03482345000P) ...it's about the size of an iphone. It's no Fluke, but it tells you what you need to know.

I also believe in the "no man left behind" approach we take at GSW so I try to bring enough parts/tools to help other people out as well.Ya, you guys know I'm that way too, although many times I'm more of a facilitator than fixer but I've spent plenty of hours in the dark getting rigs off the trail.

This is going to sound tacky, but I think the absolute most important thing you can bring on the trail with you is a good attitude. Not everyone is a mechanic, or has a ton of experience rescuing rigs or solving problems on the trail. But if you have a good attitude and you go out on the trail fully willing to accept even the worst practical consequence of your shortcomings, then you will never have a bad time and you will always find good people willing to wheel with you--no matter how much of a "liability" you might be.

I'll stick with good people until the dying end to make sure they get off the trail--even if I'm just a recon driver and the comic relief during the repair process. But people that feel entitled to help for one reason or another, or have a bad attitude I'm much less inclined to do anything for.

AgitatedPancake
12-17-2008, 01:26 AM
This is going to sound tacky, but I think the absolute most important thing you can bring on the trail with you is a good attitude. Not everyone is a mechanic, or has a ton of experience rescuing rigs or solving problems on the trail. But if you have a good attitude and you go out on the trail fully willing to accept even the worst practical consequence of your shortcomings, then you will never have a bad time and you will always find good people willing to wheel with you--no matter how much of a "liability" you might be.

I'll stick with good people until the dying end to make sure they get off the trail--even if I'm just a recon driver and the comic relief during the repair process. But people that feel entitled to help for one reason or another, or have a bad attitude I'm much less inclined to do anything for.

x eleventy billion. I've been on the bad end of a lot of trail breakage being the smallest truck in my normal group, and I'll tell you havin a good group of people to keep the mood up and make some entertainment makes the trip. Like on our trips, unless we are REALLY pinched for time, if someone breaks we just consider it a good time to take a break for a beer or some lunch. On the trail you just gotta go with the flow. I mean some of the times i've broken I can laugh back about because we werent getting frustrated, angry, or trying to rush it while trying to get the truck fixed, just kick back and get it fixed.

Thanks for the link.

SirFuego
12-17-2008, 01:36 AM
Some folks call me weird, but I bring a floor jack (secured of course). Hi lifts personally scare me and the bottle jack just doesn't get it done. I've used it numerous times on the trails -- and others were thankful I brought it.

I have a socket set and rubbermaid that contains various tools and fluids. I also am sure to bring a 36mm socket since my spare shafts don't have the hubs already on them (spare parts are worthless if you don't have the tools to install them). I also like to bring spare parts of stuff that I think might be on the way out (battery and alternator are the two most recent examples when I was having electrical issues that I wasn't sure were cured by swapping the ECU).

The good attitude about breakage is definitely a good thing to bring as well.

AgitatedPancake
12-17-2008, 01:39 AM
Yeah high lifts are scary, I've had mine flexing pretty well before, I just keep resetting it until I can get it to lift as high as I want without bending.

BigDaveZJ
12-17-2008, 01:41 AM
I couldn't agree more on the attitude Cody. I've seen both sides of the attitude, and definitely know which one I'd rather help. There's been a few times where I didn't keep my attitude in check, and I think Ted_Z was kinda afraid I might throw him off the ledge on Cliffhanger at GSW08, LOL. In all honesty though I was only pissed at myself because the failure was 100% my fault and I didn't have the equipment with me to repair my rig on the spot; and as a trail leader, I felt I had an obligation to the group as well. I hate to be "that guy" that holds everyone up and isn't able to survive off his own gear. I let out a little frustration on the skinny pedal on the way out though and all was well again.

Now the multimeter, is it pretty good one for more than just trail use? I'm an electrical retard and have been looking for a decent multimeter for a bit now. I was working on a ceiling fan in the house here, and had to sacrifice one of those cheap ass 12v light bulb electrical testers on a 110v line to find out if there was power there or not. And I like the price too.

Cody
12-17-2008, 02:06 AM
Meh, it gets the job done for most basic 12 volt stuff. For most of what we do, if it's within a volt or two of the actual number it's probably enough info to tell you (sometimes all you need to know is voltage or not). It does continuity and impedance so it can tests circuits and make readings on CPS/TPS etc plus all the other normal stuff. My only complaint is that it's so light and small, when you're using it and you have it resting in view, any slight tug on the leads will move it or make it fall off of your knee/bumper/fender whatever. It can become aggravating when you have two hands tied up with the leads and you can't keep the meter in view. The day I was testing my dead 4.0 for CPS, the tolerance for good vs. bad was close enough that I might have been a little hesitant to put all of my trust in that little craftsman, but in reality it's spec'd to be plenty accurate.

If you were buying a meter to use for home electrical, trail, and whatever and you wanted to have it for a long time, I would just pony up and buy a nice one the first time. The little craftsman is nice because I don't really care if it gets beat up or dust gets in/on it.

There was a cool Fluke meter we used to use that was pretty compact, but I can't find it on their website. I'll see if I can track it down tomorrow when I'm looking for things to do at work. The 115 is a good versatile meter, but I swear the other one I liked was only like 79 bucks.

edit: Fluke 17b is the one that I used to like. My buddy has it but I always used it instead of the higher end one that I eventually shipped in a customers car. It's also one of the smaller Fluke's, but much larger than that little craftsmen one I have now.

cLAYH
12-17-2008, 09:05 PM
I have two ammo cans, one has an assortment of wire, crimps, connectors, battery clamps, etc and my multi meter. More often used for trailer repairs but with more people having elec fans I've been pulling it out more often on the trailer. Many people don't seem to realize how big of a fuse and relay they really need.

The other box has u-joints, and tools to pull an axle shaft on my D44 front. As well as a complete set of new bearings(already greased), seals and spare spindle. Driveshaft u-joints and a tube of grease, wad of paper towel and latex gloves.

Tool box has various size wrenches, breaker bar(3/4" w/1/2" adapter), 3/4 socket set(imp only), 1/2" socket sets(imp and metric), punches, hammer, file, GOOD quality multi-driver with Torx bits, Large flatblade......

And then a Stanley 1/2,3/8,1/4" socket set in plastic case with allen keys.

Also carry a spare rear driveshaft, alternator and tire plug kit with a small 12V compressor. Bottle jack with screw out extension. Cann't get a tire off the ground on my rig with a highlift so don't bother carrying one.

Trailer has more stuff in it, stuf to but a new end on a winch cable, propane torch and solder for repairing rads, spare fluids(4l jug of brake fluid), spare stock control arms and trac bar(for other people).

More than I like to carry but I'm a mechanic by trade so everyone looks to me when things break.

Oh yeah, booster cables and spare serpentine belt.

ATL ZJ
12-17-2008, 10:05 PM
3/4 socket set(imp only)

How are you running a 3/4" impact on the trail?

Ken L
12-17-2008, 11:28 PM
I carry a selection of tools and stuff that I've found I've needed over the years...

1/2" impact gun with 1/2" SAE and metric deep sockets
3/8" air ratchet-actually the impact and the air ratchet are part of a kit that also has a die grinder and an air hammer. Both have been used on trail fixes also.
3/8" and 1/4" SAE and metric tool set. It's a blow molded thingy that holds everything pretty well in place and takes up minimal room.
Screwdrivers, allen wrenches, torx sockets, vice grips and pliers
2' long 1/2" breaker bar
Wrench roll with both SAE and metric combination wrenches, including 15mm and 18mm.
Electrical test probe. Like Cody said, for most of the trail fixes that I've been involved with, electrically we've needed to see if there was juice there. It's worked for me.
Assortment of electrical wire, connectors, splices and tape.
36mm socket to take the hub bolt off
Spare outer axle shaft and spare unit bearing
Hub sockets for both CJ D30 and D44 axles. Axle u-joint.
Grease, oil, trans fluid, water
radiator stop leak
torch and solder
Garbage bags.
Spill kit. My state association started requiring these on all our organized runs and work days, and it's just a good idea.

The bottle jack has taken the place of the stock POS, and the hi-lift is on the back bumper. I also carry 3 snach straps-one is under the back seat "just in case" and 2 are in my recovery bag, along with the snatch block, winch controller and a couple of clevis'.

I carry the tools and electrical/soldering stuff in a tool box, recovery and odds and ends are in duffle bags. They all get ratchet strapped down and they don't move much. I can still throw all my camping gear on top of it.

Attitude has been mentioned. I don't mind helping people out, and generally people are appreciative. Sometimes you can't fix -or help- stupid though.

ATL ZJ
12-18-2008, 12:02 AM
I can't stay away from this thread... keep it going.

The attitude comment is so true- there have been a lot of times when an easy trail fix was made miserable simply due to my terrible attitude at the time. It's not hard to be easygoing when you drop a coil on a sunny 70 degree day, but how do you act when it's 35 degrees, getting dark and starting to rain and you pretzel a driveshaft? I can think of a few times when I've been guilty of complaining loudly when I should have put that energy into fixing the problem. Plan for the worst and stay positive and you'll have more fun than whining yourself into misery.

Also, it's more fun to help other people fix their breakage than to stand aside and tell them to hurry up. The guys I wheel with like to work on their own junk, but I always try to give away my spare parts, even to people I don't know. I love making someone say "holy shit, how do you have this with you and what made you want to give it to me?"

Cody
12-18-2008, 05:21 PM
for a tire repair kit, I picked up one of these arb kits for about 30-35 bucks

http://www.arbusa.com/Products/Tire-Accessories/40.aspx

Really nice, sturdy, compact, and self contained.

You can get them from Kurt at cruiseroutfitters.com if you're interested. he sells a ton of ARB stuff (big time cruiser guy), and is the most involved guy on earth when it comes to land use issues....so I like to buy from him when I can.

BigDaveZJ
12-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Wasn't there something like that given away in the raffle at GSW? Looked pretty kickass.

ATL ZJ
12-18-2008, 05:39 PM
for a tire repair kit, I picked up one of these arb kits for about 30-35 bucks

http://www.arbusa.com/Products/Tire-Accessories/40.aspx

Really nice, sturdy, compact, and self contained.

You can get them from Kurt at cruiseroutfitters.com if you're interested. he sells a ton of ARB stuff (big time cruiser guy), and is the most involved guy on earth when it comes to land use issues....so I like to buy from him when I can.

Neat case and decent looking gauge. They sell essentially the same thing at auto parts stores for $10. They come with a much simpler gauge but they include patches too. ...just FYI for anyone who wants one before their next trip and doesn't have time to order one.

Has anyone mentioned AIR as a tool? Tire kits are worthless if you can't reinflate. I will be hooking up my new sanden system this weekend and missing my old York dearly. But I also always carry a can of starting fluid in case the compressor doesn't have enough power to seat a bead.

BigDaveZJ
12-18-2008, 05:43 PM
I think CO2 has been mentioned a few times as an air supply.

This might have been mentioned already, but I can't remember. Pen/pencial and paper. And not for sending S.O.S. notes via homing pigeons either! This is a loosely held habit I've had since Cub Scouts. If you're camping, wheeling, whatever, and come up with something that you need or would make your life easier, you write it down so you remember to bring it next time. For wheeling I have a mental checklist, but when camping for several days there's a hard copy checklist that I have, and make sure that I have everything on the list.

Cody
12-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Neat case and decent looking gauge. They sell essentially the same thing at auto parts stores for $10. They come with a much simpler gauge but they include patches too. ...just FYI for anyone who wants one before their next trip and doesn't have time to order one.

I've had three different patch/plug kits, trust me this one is much much better.

As for the gauge...I have no idea. I've never used that one and you probably can buy a similar piece at the auto part store, but since my post was about the bitchen plug kit and not the tire gauge I'm really not sure about it. ;)

ATL ZJ
12-18-2008, 05:52 PM
I've had three different patch/plug kits, trust me this one is much much better.

As for the gauge...I have no idea. I've never used that one and you probably can buy a similar piece at the auto part store, but since my post was about the bitchen plug kit and not the tire gauge I'm really not sure about it. ;)

Nevermind then, I thought the gauge was included in the $30. My buddy spent $20 on a snap-on valve core remover. When I have access to both, I prefer my $2 one. but to each his own.

Cody
12-18-2008, 07:27 PM
lol cool man. If you're content with the cheap little 2 dollar plug kits with the plastic handles, flimsy reamer, and carrying all of your plugs/stems/remover etc all seperate, cool. I'm not making you buy it, but I thought since I have had experience pluging many tires on trail over the years I would recomend something that I have found that I thought was a quality product for a reasonable price.

The last time I tried to use the cute little $10 job I bought at Car Quest the tube-case had broken open in my tool bag, the plugs were almost dried out and covered with sand, and the handle broke off of the aul while it was in the tire. Thus, why I prefer this one.

cLAYH
12-19-2008, 09:10 PM
How are you running a 3/4" impact on the trail?

No impact, just a 3/4 drive breaker bar. I have an adapter for it to fit 1/2" sockets as well. Handy for pinion nuts and hub nuts, repairing rad hoses...

albersondh
12-26-2008, 12:48 AM
I think someone mentioned brake line and flaring kit. I have been using one of these for all my brake line and some fuel line for a few years now and I am in love with this tool:
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s150/albersondh/flaringtool.gif
I have snapped apart more than one of those BS wing nut crimping tools..... This flaring tool is the shit as far as I’m concerned and its only $29 from JC Whitney.

I use a DMM with a AC/DC amp clamp. It comes in handy a lot especially when you’re running external electrically powered items.

I keep the IR gun close as well. You would be surprised at the things you can trouble shoot quickly just by referencing temperatures. Example: which carrier/pinion bearing is shot, or what cylinder is dead or low compression.

zjinprogress
12-29-2008, 08:47 PM
currently im homeless (PCSing in the military) and i didn't want all of my tools in storage while im at a school so my list is a little ridiculous. but here goes

-jumper cables
-1 arb 30x3 strap
-1 cheap 20x2 strap
-1 elastic super yank strap, more of a rope than strap but still cool
-2 shackles along with a plug in block for my reciever
-3 flashlights, big, medium and small
-1 headlamp
-highlift
-highlift handle all (sledge, shovel, axe, pix axe all in one tool)
-2 knives, medium and small
-3 or 4 pens and paper
-20 lb co2 (couple of chucks and air gun)
-long self coiling air hose
-stock bottle jack,
-3 pairs of gloves (im always surprised at how few people bring gloves)
-2 fire extinguisher, one ABC and one Halon
-assortment of spare fluids, at least one quart of each,
-rtv
-small paper thin one time use lock-tite packets
-assorted fuel and transmission hose lengths
-hose clamps
-zip ties
-first aid kit
-two tire pressure guages
-a much too large assortment of screw drivers
-way too many pliars including wire strippers
-small craftsman multi meter
-assortment of fuses and wires, connectors
-di-electric grease
-36mm socket
-1/4 3/8 and 1/2 socket set, metric and american deep and shallow
-assortment of extensions, and universal joints
-metric and american box wrenches
-torx bits
-1 peice of plywood about 18" by 18" for the highlift
-spare betteries and car charge for the camera
-hand warmers
-survival kit in a sardine can
-2 lighters
-1 coil of 3/8 natual fiber rope about 30 feet
-2 ratchet straps
-coil of mechanic wire
-two pry bars
-a bicycle tool kit

once im done with my school and another cross country journey i plan to do extensive fat trimming, i carry a lot of tools i dont use all the time, and i need to carry more spare parts. again my list is a little skewed becuase i have to live out of my jeep for the next 5 months but i have always wanted to write it all down.

mike

BigDaveZJ
01-03-2009, 11:29 PM
I guess it doesn't completely fit the bill, but it technically is a tool

Spill kit.

I'm quite partial to what Dave has - one of the el-cheapo catch pans with the screw on top, and inside is a ziploc freezer bag full of oil absorbent or kitty litter, and several fluid catch pads. I loved the ones we got at GSW, but Walmart also has OilZap (something like that) pads for a buck a piece. They look just like those pads you use to potty train dogs, and they'll hold a lot. I use them when I change out radiators, and they catch the pint or so of tranny fluid that spills out of the cooler lines.

I actually got the idea from Arlo on the tub. Then it didn't make any sense to keep it empty so I added the kitty litter.

May have found another good option too.

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/wedco/

Scroll down past the jerry cans and there's a sweet spill container. Some more pics at the very bottom of the page too.

fpkites
01-04-2009, 12:06 AM
Hell, for $12, I'd buy several of those bishes. Me likey

Ds4x4
01-04-2009, 01:49 AM
I started carrying a stubby US/metric open end wrench kit as well.. it sucks for leverage but great for those tight spots that are a PITA. everyone seems to have great things on hand and the spill kit is a awesome idea

cjotto
02-03-2009, 03:48 AM
i think the best tool box I ve ever owned is the one i use on trips right now it a abs plastic 4 drawer tool box from craftsmen its got almost everthing and a loose storage drawer on the bottom so you can supplement it with whatever else you can think off.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00935263000P?vName=Tools&cName=Mechanics+Tools&sName=Mechanics+Tool+Sets

San Juan Grand
02-04-2009, 01:20 AM
I always like to have a 36mm for the axle shat nut (mentioned above) and a 13mm 12point socket to remove the unit bearing bolts. A hacksaw with fresh blades has come in handy a few times as well.