PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about auto locking hubs

TrojanMan
12-09-2008, 09:50 PM
For reasons I do not want to disclose I'm now in the market for an outer hub assy and lug nut cover http://www.thewolfweb.com/images/biggrin.gif

I've seen tons of aftermarket manual locking hubs by warn, etc. Does anybody make an auto locking hub? I have a jeep for being rugged, I want my truck to go into 4wd when I hit the switch without having to get outside to lock the hubs. I have a feeling the warn hubs are going to be the same price as a single auto hub from the dealership so I might just have to go with the manual ones if I don't have any other options http://www.thewolfweb.com/images/frown.gif

What to do?

2001 f250 7.3, d50

rstrucks
12-09-2008, 11:47 PM
FWIW my wife's Explorer only had one issue when she owned it. A blown auto locking hub. She was the one that did it too - wheelin in the snow. Seemed to give up kinda easy. I'm sure full size hubs would be stronger, but I thought I'd mention it.

paulkeith
12-09-2008, 11:49 PM
http://diy.despair.com/output/poster58770360.jpg

TrojanMan
12-10-2008, 01:05 AM
This one wasn't blown, and stfu paul :D

Technohead
12-10-2008, 09:20 AM
In my experience automatic locking hubs are junk. Unreliable and they break. For many years on several different vehicles I used Warn premium manual locking hubs. I would oftentimes just leave them locked for months at a time. No problem.

Spr-T-23
12-10-2008, 09:28 AM
i agree with techno, i had a suburban that had locking hubs, they are difficult to engage,disengage and they dont last long under any kind of wheeling. and i dont think they would last a day the way some people arround here wheel

thanks, T

paulkeith
12-10-2008, 10:17 AM
we're talking DD's here, not wheeling.

In that frame of reference, leaving the locking hub locked for months at a time defeats the purpose of having locking hubs.

I stand by my advice last night, scour the forums for a set that someone swapped out.

paul

ATL ZJ
12-10-2008, 11:07 AM
So do the 250s use the same 30 spline outer shaft that old school Dana 60s do? I know the D60 and D50 hubs interchange... I just gave a set of 30 spline hubs away.

TrojanMan
12-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Dammit, I hate you Cam :D

I'm going to hit a local pull a part that is pretty good about having full sized trucks tomorrow. Too bad it's going to be pouring rain and the junkyard is all dirt/mud :smt019

And yeah, DD. The only times I use 4wd are in incliment weather and when I need to pull out onto a road quickly (with the chip and supporting mods this truck really gets away from you if you gun it).

paulkeith
12-11-2008, 12:15 AM
now try it without your slushbox

TrojanMan
12-11-2008, 01:31 AM
I tried to find a 6 speed, this was the best I could hold out for.

BigDaveZJ
12-11-2008, 01:34 AM
Wuss. I drive mine around in 2wd in snow and ice all the time!

TrojanMan
12-11-2008, 03:13 AM
I have yet to encounter snow or ice with it, but I do know it sucks pulling into traffic in the rain like tonight :mad:

paulkeith
12-11-2008, 09:55 AM
hooks up like no other in 4wd. I was just rippin on it pretty good on the way to work in the rain, not even a chirp.

Clutch is the weak link now. sadface.

You find any used hubs on the forums?

BigDaveZJ
12-11-2008, 11:29 AM
You use 4WD in the rain? wtf mate! I can break the back end loose on wet pavement on purpose, but have yet to have it happen accidentally.

paulkeith
12-11-2008, 12:57 PM
i'll end up pointing the wrong direction just catching 2nd if its wet outside and i'm not careful about it.

i even had her get loose on a banked onramp in 3rd gear at maybe 1/2 throttle 1400rpm one time. scared the crap out of me.

trying to pull out in traffic/merge on atlanta streets gets pretty dicey. luckily it doesn't rain all that often. the KM2s are sticking a little better than my old mastercrafts too.

TrojanMan
12-11-2008, 06:05 PM
There are a lot of poorly designed intersections where I live.. I have to put the pedal to the floor to get out in front of people sometimes. When its dry I can control it but when its really wet outside I have to baby the throttle way too much. I can put it in 4wd and give it all the throttle I want. I definately know what you mean paul.. sometimes when i'm trying to merge and I punch it in 2nd or even 3rd if the ground is a little wet I can definately feel the rear end kicking out. In the rain if I floor it from a stand still I can guarantee you doughnuts :axe:

Didn't find anything on the psd forums but actually a guy on the ncsu forum i'm on is picking up an excursion next week and he plans on swapping warns in on day one.. he said he'd let me have the ones off of it cheap.