PDA

View Full Version : internal storage ideas

BigDaveZJ
12-07-2008, 02:13 AM
We were at the big Toys 4 Tots event today and saw a saawwweeeeeeeet Land Cruiser that had an awesome storage compartment custom made in the cargo area. They didn't cheap out on this thing at all. A LOT of custom work went into it. And of course it got me thinking about storage solutions for inside ZJ's.

I know Stan and Sandy both have some pretty sweet storage compartments in the back of their rigs, who else has got something cool?

I've been thinking about different designs for the back of Pam's ZJ and how we could make something work back there for both regular wheeling and expedition trips. So far what I'm thinking is have something around a 36"W x 24"D drawer divided up internally for easy organization kinda in the center of it all. It would be tall enough to hold a gallon of water/antifreeze/etc. Could also be two drawers, need to put the tape measure to the Jeep too to really find out what can be done. Since the moulding around the bottom of the rear cargo area sticks up a bit, the drawers would have to be spaced off the floor a bit. My thought here was to use the center as a cavity to fit our folding camping table. There would be legs on the side of that cavity to prop it up, and also most likely some side storage compartments with flip-open lids for access to those storage areas. That would also provide a place to bolt it to the floor, since there is no way this thing could be just left loose in the event of an accident or rollover. There would be another flip-open lid up against the seat, for some additional storage since I doubt the drawers will go all the way back that far.

The entire exterior of the box would be covered in carpet, kinda like a sub box. On the top all the handles and latches for the lids would be recessed, and there would also be recessed tie down loops as well.

I haven't decided what to do with the spare tire. Keeping it in its current location would make it a PITA to get out with the box in the way. Probably strap it to the top of the box as a temp solution until we build a rear bumper and tire carrier.

Means the dog would probably have to go in the backseat, but I think he'd like that better anyways since he can lean against the back of the seat to help him flying all over the place like he does hanging out in the cargo area.

So that's my idea that is very fluid at this point, anybody else planning something like this or already have something?

BigDaveZJ
12-07-2008, 02:20 AM
Here's a pic of the storage system we saw today, forgot to take one with the drawers open.

Jeeperoni91
12-07-2008, 02:21 AM
doesn't look terribly hard to make, just cut the wood and lay carpet over it like you would for a subwoofer box. looks about the same kinda carpet that my sub box has covering it.

just gotta figure out what configuration you want to make it

BigDaveZJ
12-07-2008, 02:24 AM
just gotta figure out what configuration you want to make it

And keep the drawers shut! The little silver things on the face of the drawers were actually locks to keep the drawers shut, and they were keyed too for extra security, pretty kickass.

BigDaveZJ
12-07-2008, 02:25 AM
Turns out it's actually a product Slee Off Road sells . . . . holy sticker shock

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/products_drawers_main.htm

Jeeperoni91
12-07-2008, 02:26 AM
And keep the drawers shut! The little silver things on the face of the drawers were actually locks to keep the drawers shut, and they were keyed too for extra security, pretty kickass.

that does kick ass, holy hell $1500!

TrojanMan
12-07-2008, 02:27 AM
Lol you could make that for like a hundred bucks.

IndyZJ
12-07-2008, 03:36 AM

They must either charge $300 an hour for labor or use some super fancy carpet.

If I were to make it, I'd divide it roughly in half width-ways and make one big drawer for antifreeze, fluids, etc. on one side (maybe 10-12" wide) and divide the other side into 2-3 shorter drawers, because once you start putting all your stuff in really deep drawers the little things get lost fast. Keep the top level so you can still put stuff up there if you need to.

CurtP
12-07-2008, 11:25 AM
It's formed and welded galvanized steel and rides on ball bearing rollers and anything that is wood is probably MDF or marine grade plywood. No way you'd be able to duplicate it for $100, but you could probably do better than their price. They don't have anything for a Grand anyway.

I'd like to build one out of aluminum with a carpeted MDF top plate across the whole assembly. I'd line the drawers with felt or carpet and use ball bearing slides. Removable compartment dividers for the drawers and a place to lock in spare axles, in front of the box behind the rear seat. I'd probably mount the tire on top of it. Build it tall, but not so tall that you couldn't see out the rearview mirror with the tire on top. A door on each side that opens from the back to make use of the dead space where the drawers don't fit. Integrate a refrigerator or have a place to strap down a cooler would be nice too, but at this point, where would all this fit?

I wouldn't want to give up the back seat though. It isn't uncommon for me to have 2 or 3 people with me when we go driving on the beaches.

dangerousdave
12-07-2008, 02:13 PM
The land rover design is sweet but $1500.... i agree with steel and ball bearing drawers being the nicest way to go but weight would be a small issue the same is true for any wood over 1/2".

A lock on a wood drawer is just going to be a joke for theft protection. It would be more for the safety of passengers in a roll or flop. It would be nice to have a clean look in the back of the jeep though. A place for all the tools and oils would be a big plus.

nate
12-07-2008, 02:24 PM
I have plans to build soemthing like that for my ZJ only all the way to the front seats. Would be able to put the spare tire in there along with trail gear so I'd have the top for the doggie and also for me to sleep on.

geesaw
12-07-2008, 05:03 PM
I have also considered building a similar storage compartment to this, and as a former cabinet builder I gotta point out that the slides for the drawers will be the biggest hang-up.

For usability, you will want a full-extension drawer guide (or slide if you prefer). This gets the drawer box out of the cabinet far enough to access everything in the drawer. These can get pricey, especially when you want a fairly long drawer.

Then consider what duty glide you need, you could easily cram a couple hundred pounds of spare parts and fluids etc. in there, this also brings the price of the glides up.

When if first researched it, the only glides I could find that fit my parameters were in the $300 range, and that was for one drawer, I also wanted two. Damn, that's enough to buy alot of other 4x4 parts I want first.

Not trying to discourage anyone, as I truly would like to find a good solution to this problem, home built glides anyone?

BigDaveZJ
12-07-2008, 05:15 PM
McMaster Carr has some decent ones that are around 100lbs rating for < $30.

Since you're a former cabinet maker, you might be able to answer this for me too. The slides are usually rated per pair. Let's say the drawer is 12-14" high, would it not be possible to have 2 pairs of slides to double the weight rating?

nate
12-07-2008, 05:28 PM
I wasn't even goign to waste my time with drawer slides and fancy stuff like that. Just make a lid on top to open to pull the shit out. Maybe $100 in materials all said and done

geesaw
12-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Yes, you can run doubles or triples, as long as they are a style that does not require the drawer to tip in for installation, full or three-quarter extension side mount styles like the ones that are found in better tool boxes would certainly work this way, as long as they are installed parallel.

I see what you're saying Nate, but what Dave and I were thinking is to have some storage you could access with out unloading all the sleeping bags and coolers and duffelbags out onto the trail to get at your wrench set or spare U-joints.

AgitatedPancake
12-07-2008, 05:37 PM
I wasn't even goign to waste my time with drawer slides and fancy stuff like that. Just make a lid on top to open to pull the shit out. Maybe $100 in materials all said and done

your concept is easier to be cheap because everyone else has a tire going on top, not inside =P

geesaw
12-07-2008, 05:50 PM
I may have posted too soon, originally I was thing of making a drawer that went all the way to the back of the front seat on one side of the split rear, and only to the rear of the back seat on the other. It was finding a five foot glide that was rated for a few hundred pounds that was so spendy.

nate
12-08-2008, 02:14 AM
True but how often would you need to get in there anyhow? The Rubermaid bin I have in the Jeep now I open up maybe one or twice a year.

Yes, you can run doubles or triples, as long as they are a style that does not require the drawer to tip in for installation, full or three-quarter extension side mount styles like the ones that are found in better tool boxes would certainly work this way, as long as they are installed parallel.

I see what you're saying Nate, but what Dave and I were thinking is to have some storage you could access with out unloading all the sleeping bags and coolers and duffelbags out onto the trail to get at your wrench set or spare U-joints.

Ted_Z
12-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Don't over look the storage space under the rear seats. Once you get rid of the factory amp and bottle jack (worthless once you're lifted) there is actualy quite a bit of room under there. I imagine you could go crazy and even cut/customize the floor a bit to maximize that space.

Also, I put my spare axle shafts, tie rod and drive shafts right behind the front seats on the floor (tied down of course). This gives me more room in the way back, helps distribute the weight and is a perfect spot for long awkward shapes. The drawback is now you cant get to anything under the rear seat.

grnd93
12-08-2008, 10:10 PM
I've been kicking around a couple ideas in my head for the last year or so. Basically a 6-8" deep drawer on bottom for tools, another 6-8" deep storage area on top of that for for fluids and such. I'll have compartments on each side (the tops will sit flush with the bottom of the windows. there will also be a shelf just behind the back seat to give a spot to mount a hi-lift. Under that should be room for a couple of bazooka tubes and an inverter. I plan to carpet everything to match the factory grey, but I may also Rhino-line the top of lid for the main storage compartment. The spare tire will probably go on top of that until I get a bumper with an exterior rack. Everything will be contoured to the interior plastic panels. Probably build it out of MDF and bolt it to the floor where the factory cargo area tie-downs are riveted in.

I can picture it in my mind, just need to get started building it. Maybe it will give me something to do this winter.

nate
12-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Yeah see I would just go all the way to the 2 front seats. I do have the back seats but they are in storage and I never use them.

ATL ZJ
12-08-2008, 11:58 PM
Good thread. I used to carry EVERYTHING with me on the trail, but over time I have shifted to become more minimalist. Just one medium toolbox for selected sockets, wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers. Another small box with things like fuses, RTV, zip ties, hose clamps. Last and heaviest, one sealed ammo can with spare ujoints, bolts, fuel line/filter, fittings, scrap steel, hoses, etc. Tow strap, jumper cables, and factory jack also fit very tightly under the passenger seat.

All of my fluids are stored underhood so I don't have to start searching through boxes and moving stuff around when I need them. I carry 2 quarts of motor oil, 2 quarts of p/s fluid, one quart of brake fluid, and one quart of gear oil... manual trans so I don't need ATF anymore. I correct myself- I do keep a gallon of clean, non-potable water under the passenger seat for the radiator.

Bottom line, the more tools you can carry, the more you WILL carry.. More unneeded tools means more weight you have to get up that nasty hill that gravity doesn't want you to climb. Divide the load up by a bunch of rigs and wheel much happier. Not to mention you'll finally find the stuff you're looking for.

KDUB
12-09-2008, 12:43 AM
This is what I built to hold misc. "stuff" in the cargo area. Pretty straight forward. It's 3/8" plywood held together with 1/4" bolts, reinforced with the metal strap (angle iron) used to support garage door openers. The lid is reinforced with 1"X4" I painted the inside and carpeted the outside and bolted thru the wheel wells. http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?p=177489#post177489

dangerousdave
12-09-2008, 01:04 AM
I kinda use my back seats for things i need in a hurry like straps and air down stuff. I think cam does bring up a good point about weight. But it think being able to organize the amount of shit i carry would be nice. Right now i keep 3 tool boxes im my car a rachet box (1/4-3/4 drive), wrenches, and a box of odds and end tools. Way to many tools. I also keep a gallon of rad fluid, oil, 2 quarts of trans fluid, and a quart of ps fluid.

Cam I wondered what you were doing in your buggy for stuff like that. i figured you just kept stuff in your tow rig.

FortCollinsZJ
12-09-2008, 04:52 AM
Here's the storage box I built while staying home "sick" from school, It perfect for haluing groceries/ things from the mall :flipoff2: I liked the idea of drawers at first, but it limited the amount of weight I could hold. drawer slides were expensice, and it also limited space. I like the flip top alot more. It used to be devided in half in the inside, but it is better as one big open space.

I built a cubby on the right wheel well for fluids, cables, flash light, things of that nature. the center section holds tools, cooking stuff for camping, and my blingbling MTX, also holds tow straps and d rings in the ammo cans, and the space over the left wheel well is so small that I made it only accesable after folding down the back seat. I also left a little space between the front of the box and the hatch to put a rifle, as not to be seen by those with sticky fingers.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa231/NEILZJ/Jeep%20storage%20trunk/storage003.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa231/NEILZJ/Jeep%20storage%20trunk/storage001.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa231/NEILZJ/Jeep%20storage%20trunk/storage007.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa231/NEILZJ/Jeep%20storage%20trunk/storage004.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa231/NEILZJ/Jeep%20storage%20trunk/storage005.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa231/NEILZJ/Jeep%20storage%20trunk/storage006.jpg

SirFuego
12-09-2008, 11:11 AM
I do keep a gallon of clean, non-potable water under the passenger seat for the radiator.
Out of curiosity, why non-potable? Seems that potable water could serve a dual purpose in a pinch -- especially in the deep south where humidity is ridiculous.

BigDaveZJ
12-09-2008, 11:12 AM
I think maybe he means distilled?

speedmontzj
12-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Out of curiosity, why non-potable? Seems that potable water could serve a dual purpose in a pinch -- especially in the deep south where humidity is ridiculous.

maybe he keeps it in an old antifreeze bottle. that is where i keep extra coolant water.

ATL ZJ
12-09-2008, 12:23 PM
maybe he keeps it in an old antifreeze bottle. that is where i keep extra coolant water.

Haha I love the guesses. It's hose water in an antifreeze bottle. Non potable to ensure that no one drinks it before I need it. In the summer, I never hit the trail without a few gallons of drinking water. But even with that much, the supply gets thin after a full day of sharing it with thirsty friendly freeloaders. If I were depending on my drinking water to fill a low radiator, I better hope the problem occurs early in the day.

SirFuego
12-09-2008, 12:59 PM
If I were depending on my drinking water to fill a low radiator, I better hope the problem occurs early in the day.
Yeah I wasn't clear with what I meant by "dual purpose". I mean that it could be drank as a last resort if the drinking water runs out.

Or you could always pull an Overkill and dump out the gallons of water you had at camp to "save weight" in the tow rig for the drive home. Only to have a head gasket blow just after you split off from the convoy with a broken cell phone. But I digress... :finga:

ATL ZJ
12-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Yeah I wasn't clear with what I meant by "dual purpose". I mean that it could be drank as a last resort if the drinking water runs out.

I fully understood you. I'm just of the opinion that there is an advantage to carrying some water that friends won't drink. ;)

kyle95sr5
12-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Here's the storage box I built while staying home "sick" from school, It perfect for haluing groceries/ things from the mall :flipoff2: I liked the idea of drawers at first, but it limited the amount of weight I could hold. drawer slides were expensice, and it also limited space. I like the flip top alot more. It used to be devided in half in the inside, but it is better as one big open space.

I built a cubby on the right wheel well for fluids, cables, flash light, things of that nature. the center section holds tools, cooking stuff for camping, and my blingbling MTX, also holds tow straps and d rings in the ammo cans, and the space over the left wheel well is so small that I made it only accesable after folding down the back seat. I also left a little space between the front of the box and the hatch to put a rifle, as not to be seen by those with sticky fingers.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa231/NEILZJ/Jeep%20storage%20trunk/storage003.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa231/NEILZJ/Jeep%20storage%20trunk/storage001.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa231/NEILZJ/Jeep%20storage%20trunk/storage007.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa231/NEILZJ/Jeep%20storage%20trunk/storage004.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa231/NEILZJ/Jeep%20storage%20trunk/storage005.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa231/NEILZJ/Jeep%20storage%20trunk/storage006.jpg

You need to put some sort of grills or covers over those subs. One slip with that shovel or ammo box and your going to punch a hole in your blinging subs

piku303
12-12-2008, 01:00 AM

not even that man...anybody who pays 1500 bucks for that should be slapped

BigDaveZJ
12-12-2008, 01:23 AM
not even that man...anybody who pays 1500 bucks for that should be slapped

I would venture to say that more time and precision goes into a drawer system of that caliber than your average long arm kit that sells for more than $1500.

DJJordache
12-12-2008, 11:40 AM
not mine but another idea that someone did:
http://www.jeepsite.net/jeep_story10.html

ATL ZJ
12-12-2008, 12:04 PM
I would venture to say that more time and precision goes into a drawer system of that caliber than your average long arm kit that sells for more than $1500.

I genuinely hope that isn't true. Proper suspension design and performance are infinitely more complex than cabinetry.

piku303
12-12-2008, 01:48 PM

if their junk cabinet is more advanced than a long arm system they should be slapped twice.

BigDaveZJ
12-12-2008, 02:29 PM
I genuinely hope that isn't true. Proper suspension design and performance are infinitely more complex than cabinetry.

Well the design may be more complex, the construction is much easier IMO. Having seen this drawer system first hand, I feel that $1500 is a very fair price what you get. Do most people need a drawer system like that? No, but for those who need/want it, that is an extremely fair price.

BigDaveZJ
12-12-2008, 02:31 PM
if their junk cabinet is more advanced than a long arm system they should be slapped twice.

So you've actually seen this item in person then? You think it's too much, don't fawking buy it, pretty simple. I'm not buying it either because I don't need something that fancy.

C.C.Reed
12-12-2008, 02:56 PM
http://www.hollowhilloutdoors.com/tastd1dwr2tr1.html

I have one like this for my tahoe exept it has a table that slides out under the drawer. It came linex-ed, has the dividers for rifles and such, will hold over a ton on top of it, and 400 lbs (buddy sitting on it) on the drawer with it open. Got it for a little over a grand shipped. It was well worth it. It has had the shit beat out of it and still slides just as well as it did when I got it.

It is actually in my old man's tahoe now because he needed it for his business and I am not planning any trips soon. He loves the damn thing.

ATL ZJ
12-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Well the design may be more complex, the construction is much easier IMO. Having seen this drawer system first hand, I feel that $1500 is a very fair price what you get. Do most people need a drawer system like that? No, but for those who need/want it, that is an extremely fair price.

Ha, I knew you'd say that and I agree with you, as long as both are being mass-produced. Pretty much everything I build is one-off, so forgive me being stuck in that mindset. Design included, I'd wager that 10,000 clayton long arm kits take less time per kit to produce than 10,000 of these drawer systems. By producing in volume you can average out the labor-intensive cost of the front-end design. That is assuming that your average LA kit isn't just slapped together randomly.

zjrog
12-13-2008, 08:50 PM
I was wondering if anyone had made a steel insert inside the center console?

Tanto
12-14-2008, 02:19 AM
I was wondering if anyone had made a steel insert inside the center console?

Kinda like this:

http://concept.gamberjohnson.com/Image/484360411/item_master/images/7160-0102_OPEN.jpg

Or this:

http://www.gamberjohnson.com/images/product/ec.gif

Try looking here: http://www.gamberjohnson.com/products_2.0.php

zjrog
12-17-2008, 11:56 PM
Interesting stuff...

slim616
12-18-2008, 09:14 PM
heres what I came up with
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m192/md4wheelin/rebuild%20project/floor3.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m192/md4wheelin/floor4.jpg
this is before i painted it and added the latches to keep it shut in a roll over, but i can fit all my air tools and spare axels in it.

BigDaveZJ
12-18-2008, 09:24 PM
slim, what gauge sheet did you use there?

ILikeMud
12-18-2008, 10:44 PM
In my first ZJ I tried a few different things.
This was my first set up, utterly useless and if I ever rolled it, someone was gonna get killed inside.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/Build%202/Rear%20Storage/rear010.jpg

Set up number two involved 2 big ass rubbermaid bins. I put locks on them to keep people out and bolted them in place. I personally liked this set up. It meant 1 less passenger and gave said passenger an arm rest lol.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/Build%202/Rear%20Storage/Rear01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/Build%202/Rear%20Storage/Rear02.jpg

In my last ZJ I tried this rack I bought for $100.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Storage/Rack002.jpg

Plan was to build a storage unit under neither with drawers but I never did.

slim616
12-19-2008, 08:30 AM
slim, what gauge sheet did you use there?

1/8" if I remember right.

FortCollinsZJ
12-21-2008, 06:31 PM
I modified my box setup a bit. Well, alot. I realized I didn't need such a huge ass box back there, and it could be nice to actually be able to get other stuff in the back to haul around. I also mounted my co2 on top. and you can still open the lid with the tank setup in place.

I can still fit thre 50cal ammo cans, a tool box, a juckstand, jumper cables, a bottle of antifreeze, oil, steering, and brake fluid, a bag of air connectors and such, an airhose, and a few other little things, all in that box!

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa231/NEILZJ/Image007-1.jpg

BigDaveZJ
12-21-2008, 08:15 PM
I always thought you weren't supposed to operate CO2 when the tank is on its side?

dangerousdave
12-21-2008, 08:33 PM
I always thought you weren't supposed to operate CO2 when the tank is on its side?

Good call..... But it works for paintball. What would the difference be?

BigDaveZJ
12-21-2008, 08:39 PM
I think the flow is a little higher for our application than for paintball, maybe that has something to do with it? When I bought mine I asked the guy about it and he was pretty adamant about it being upright.

FortCollinsZJ
12-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Thats what Ryan said... (arlo). I can always take it out to use it... It just fit so good where it is.

FortCollinsZJ
12-21-2008, 09:05 PM
"Storage on its side is fine, but you'll have to take it out of the bracket to use it. Liquid CO2 in the regulator/valve/hose would be a bad thing.

It's my understanding that you can use it immediately after standing it up."

Jim karlin quoted from JF.

BigDaveZJ
12-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Always consider the source of information when determining its validity. :flipoff2:

FortCollinsZJ
12-21-2008, 09:25 PM
hahaha! I hope he sees that, Jim may seem crazy, he may look crazy, he may drive crazy, and say some crazy shit from time to time... but I believe him. :D

I think that crazy kite flyer may know a thing or two...

AgitatedPancake
12-21-2008, 09:53 PM
yeah you don't have to worry about waiting once you have it upright like you do with acetylene, you can rotate it to vertical and use it instantly. The only reason it's a nono to use on its side is because co2 in liquid form will insta freeze and dry out all o rings and seals leading to failure, just like in a paintball gun. Maybe if it was rigged with an anti-siphon tube that was aimed at the top of the tank according to how you have it mounted you can make it work, but right now all you have to do is stand it up and you're good to go.

albersondh
12-24-2008, 11:15 PM
I just got back from Australia and NZ. These guys are expedition rig nuts and have been that way forever. I made the old lady stop off at all the 4x shops I saw and I picked up a bunch of brochures and catalogs. This is a link to an ausie based shop that does 4x interior solutions (just for some ideas): http://www.4wdinteriors.com/index.htm

fpkites
12-25-2008, 02:17 AM
"Storage on its side is fine, but you'll have to take it out of the bracket to use it. Liquid CO2 in the regulator/valve/hose would be a bad thing.

It's my understanding that you can use it immediately after standing it up."

Jim karlin quoted from JF.

Always consider the source of information when determining its validity. :flipoff2:

hahaha! I hope he sees that, Jim may seem crazy, he may look crazy, he may drive crazy, and say some crazy shit from time to time... but I believe him. :D

I think that crazy kite flyer may know a thing or two...

Yeah, that guy's fuckin' nuts - he wanted to stack TB spacers for fuck sake!

wait...what? :rofl:

I have no idea who told me about tanks, but I do remember him/her saying don't use it on its side, but you can use it as soon as you have it upright. I thought you had to have it upright for 20 minutes or so, but I was corrected.

May have been Jerry Bransford or somebody...dunno

OverlandXJ
01-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Been wanting to make a rear cargo storage system in my rig, this my favorite design i'v come across so far. It's in an FJ-80 i found at IH8MUD.com.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d24/ExpeditionXJ/rearstoragedesign1.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d24/ExpeditionXJ/rearstoragedesign2.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d24/ExpeditionXJ/rearstoragedesign3.jpg

MoonyJohn
01-02-2009, 03:15 AM
I have already started drawing out a plan for a rear interior storage thing. Has anyone put a subwoofer on top of the system itself? I was thinking of having the system be bolted down, and then cover it with sub box material. Then put my sub on the pass. side and bolt it down so then it doesnt move or get stolen..

BigDaveZJ
01-02-2009, 10:00 AM
My thought with a sub and a box like that is the sub would just rattle everything in the box and make the sub sound like ass.

Katesdad
01-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Ive seen lots of great ideas here for storage. When Kates old/big enough for the front seat Im probably ditching the back seats and and leveling off the back with storage where the seats should be. I use my ZJ like a truck way too much to loose the space.

Jacked UP ZeeJay
01-04-2009, 12:36 PM
I built this the other day, cost me 42 bux and my friend was working at Home Depot at the time and we cut all the pieces and planned it out right on the floor in the middle of Home Depot haha.

I tried it, didnt come out too great. I want to perfect it though. Get some better doors on it, and line it up better. Nothing special, but it will do the job

http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj329/JackedUPZeeJay/CargoBox002.jpg

http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj329/JackedUPZeeJay/CargoBox006.jpg

BigDaveZJ
01-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Make sure you secure it to the floor somehow too.

FivePoint2
01-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Definately some cool ideas fellas! Obviously the possibilities are endless!

I've been debating the whole storage thing for years. Currently I have a lined canvas bag (roughly the same size as the seat back) attached to the frame work of the driver-side rear back seat. It works pretty good for holding tools, a 4 way, flashlight, fluids and other small items. I've thought about building a box made from MDF that would run from the floor to roughly the height of the seats. The box wouldn't be much more than 12-18" deep (front to back), maybe devided left to right, with access to shelves or built in compartments in the "front" of the box being gained by folding down the seat backs and access to the backside of the box via doors or slide-up panels that would hold larger items.

Cue-Ball
01-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Great thread.

I personally LOVE the drawer idea and have been thinking about it for a long time. I agree with Dave that $1500 is probably NOT that bad considering what you get. I also think that it could be built cheaper at home, but you have to know something about cabinetry (so that leaves me out, hahaha).

Who knows if I ever get the rest of the shit on my Heep finished I might move on to doing some storage in the back of mine, time will tell.

BigDaveZJ
01-07-2009, 05:18 PM
I think I'm leaning now towards a smaller drawer system in Pam's rig, maybe only have it take up half the back, and then leave room for a kitchen box in the other section.

FivePoint2
01-07-2009, 05:27 PM
^ That's what I was thinking... something with enough storage that didn't completely eliminate the entire cargo area. At one point I was considering just buying a Smitty TJ box & the raised rack system they offer and fitting both to the ZJ... but that kills any hope of carrying a spare inside.

BigDaveZJ
01-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Somethin like this: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22041

Cue-Ball
01-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Dave, I LOVE that!!!!!!!!!!!

FivePoint2
01-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Somethin like this: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22041

There's something to be said for "KISS", my biggest problem is over-engineering. I have to keep in mind that it is my daily driver.

Cool site by the way. I've thumbed through the pages over the past few years & I'm impressed by many of the rigs you guys & gals have built. I've only recently registered because of this new expedition section - never really felt worthy of posting beforehand, lol. The wife and I do a lot of camping & fishing so that's what building my ZJ has revolved around vs. being a hardcore crawler.

jsteves
01-07-2009, 06:13 PM
I really like what Stan built and I think I will be building one as well. I am going to make my dimensions to fit 2 footlockers under it and have lashing points on the top for camping gear, cooler, or another foot locker for long trips.

I also like that it easy to remove. Until I find the truck I want I will continue to use the ZJ as one so it needs to be removable.

FivePoint2
01-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Well, my mind has been made up for me. The wife adopted a 6wk old Boxer/Pit mix from a co-worker - now I need room to tote our new dog around as well. So, it looks like I'm going to go with the double slide out drawer idea to keep it low enough to make room for a crate or at least keep some floor space so she has a place to hangout.

Anyone else toting around dogs on a regular basis?

BigDaveZJ
01-13-2009, 04:08 PM
FivePoint2, that's been a consideration for us as well as we have a 4 y.o. lab mix. In the past he's hung out in the cargo area of Pam's ZJ, but with the boxes back there what we're thinking about doing is laying the back seats down and letting him hang out there since we rarely use the back seats. We usually leave him at home when we do the harder trails, but he seems to really enjoy camping so we want to make sure he can go with us on the easier trips. If it comes to it, he can always ride in the front seat with me in my Jeep too. As big of a PITA as it is to have 2 rigs sometimes, it does make some things easier too.

FivePoint2
01-13-2009, 04:19 PM
Heh, It's amazing how plans can change so quickly. The deeper I get into the Jeep the more other issues arise. What started out as a work, fishing & camping rig has turned into a daily driven - do everything vehicle... starting to think I need another as well!

Forgot to mention the wife is dead-set on keeping the for now pup secure as well. I don't have too many issues with her riding around in the open as my past dogs have but thanks to the Animal Channel that isn't going to work now.

violatedppl
03-08-2009, 01:19 PM
another cheaper way would be to take a sliding storage unit from the bed of a truck that would fit with the seats down than just make a fram around that with comparnments that open up. It wouldnt be to hard and all the engeering is already done and they will support alot of weight.

frumpy
05-11-2009, 05:58 PM
I know this is going a little off topic, but back to the CO2. As mentioned it can be stored horizontally but must be used vertically unless there is a siphon tube. Co2 is stored in the tanks as a liquid and if that gets into your regulator it will freeze everything up. However if you run the siphon tube it will make sure you don't get any liquid into your regulator.

fire extinguisher but same idea
http://www.setonresourcecenter.com/eefs/osha/www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/evacuation/images/cutaway.jpg