PDA

View Full Version : Picking up a new dd

WJJEEPIN
12-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Hey Guys,

Looks like I'm getting a 96 Jetta GLS 2.0L 5 speed for $100. :eek:

Here is the catch. It hasnt been driven in over a year.

Things I need to do to get it running:
Oil for sure.
Think the trans fluid will need to be changed?
I know fuel can go bad, anything I can do to test or additives I can add to get it going?

It has some other little bugs in it but for a car that can get high 20's mpg and I could give a crap about I think I am ahead of the game.

Thanks,

96greenxjjeep
12-01-2008, 07:08 PM
drain all fluids and go from there air filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor and stuff like that

WJJEEPIN
12-01-2008, 09:42 PM
drain all fluids and go from there air filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor and stuff like that

Really, Everything? Like a full tune up?

zj95
12-01-2008, 10:29 PM
no dont go do a full tuneup. inspect everything a replace as nessecary. get the fucker running and go from there.

as far as fluids... yes do everything.

as far as gas, best thing to do is drain it, and put in fresh gas with intank injector cleaner. replace fuel filter. and run it for a month then replace the filter again.

Spr-T-23
12-01-2008, 11:43 PM
i agree with green up there, change it all and it could rule out alot of problems, keep them arround for a spare, but change it. deffinatly drain out all the fluids including all the gas, change fuel filter, oh and change the air in the tires dont want that old air making you tires out of round

WJJEEPIN
12-02-2008, 12:43 AM
Basically I need it running so i can get it smogged to transfer the title. Im going to sign the paperwork tomorrow and start banging away at the beast asap.

96greenxjjeep
12-02-2008, 01:03 AM

thats what i do to every vehicle i have ever got, so i dont know thats just what i do, its chaep so why not.

paulkeith
12-02-2008, 09:19 AM

depends on how concerned you are about reliability/maintenance. I like doing all that stuff right away so I set a replacement interval baseline. You're going to have to do the same amount of work to inspect the parts as you would just replacing them.

That being said, if you're just looking for a beater, drain and replace the fluids and run with it.

WJJEEPIN
12-03-2008, 12:44 AM
depends on how concerned you are about reliability/maintenance. I like doing all that stuff right away so I set a replacement interval baseline. You're going to have to do the same amount of work to inspect the parts as you would just replacing them.

That being said, if you're just looking for a beater, drain and replace the fluids and run with it.

Not a bad idea. I think for step one will be to get it running to pass smog and on the road. Over the next month I will go through it and get those things ironed out. My wife isnt stoked that I am getting another car. SOOOO I will need to syphen the funds to get it up to speed. Funny thing is it will be cheaper with 3 cars than the 2 we currently have on our insurance. which was my main selling point on this dd.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Screwfly
12-11-2008, 12:19 AM
2.0 Jettas are pretty good cars.
Make sure you check the timing belt as well.

Those motors will last forever with good MX.
And turbo kits are cheap for them as well. :D

MuddyV8ZJ
12-12-2008, 03:45 PM
w00t. Welcome back to the german car club Will :)

WJJEEPIN
12-12-2008, 03:51 PM
After Oil w/ seafoam and new battery and were up and running. Not driving it yet but its moves under its own power. :smt033

Left to do:
seafoam in fuel and down the brake booster.
Change most of the hoses as the one to the heater core is leaking and need to flush the radiator
need to replace the PCV as its got oil EVERYWHERE!!!
2 new tires

Oh yeah, and clean the FUCK out of it, it is NASTY inside. Dont know what happened in there but looks like he had a grease party.

CurtP
12-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Mk III Jetta - nice. We've had VWs in the family since 1979 and one of my favorite cars that I've ever owned was a 2-dr Mk II Jetta. Dad had a '96 Golf diesel that he would regularly load 300+ lbs of rock salt into and drag the mud flaps on the ground for the entire trip home.

Check to see where yours was manufactured (driver's side door jamb, IIRC). I think all of them except the diesels were made in Puebla, Mexico. Huge quality differences between the German and Mexican built vehicles and it can make getting replacement parts interesting. It usually isn't an issue unless you need something like interior trim pieces - normal maintenance stuff is all the same AFAIK.

Post some pictures. Solid vehicle and I'd pimp one as a daily driver.

CurtP
12-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Just read your update - guess I was typing while you were posting.

For grease on cloth or carpet, spray it with ether (starting fluid) and blot with a clean paper towel. Once you get most of it up, apply more ether and scrub the remainder off. An old guy at a muffler shop told me that years ago and it has worked for me every time.

WJJEEPIN
12-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Nice tip, thanks. I'll give it a wack.

Cool angle.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q51/btwnmak/Jetta%2096/IMG_5212.jpg

Side view
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q51/btwnmak/Jetta%2096/IMG_5210.jpg

Floors
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q51/btwnmak/Jetta%2096/IMG_5214.jpg

Dirty as hell PCV valve
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q51/btwnmak/Jetta%2096/IMG_5216.jpg

Dont know how but dude got hella grease on the driver door panel arm rest. Plus he was like 350lbs and crushed the driver seat.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q51/btwnmak/Jetta%2096/IMG_5215.jpg

WJJEEPIN
12-12-2008, 05:23 PM
Oh and its Mexico fo sho.

dp96zj
12-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Holy hell! Did he have a story for it being that nasty? It looks like he put an engine on the passenger side floor to balance his weight out!

WJJEEPIN
12-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Dont know. Didnt ask. Had I paid more I might of. Its mostly on the floor mat which will be in the garbage once I get to cleaning it out phase. Still under the engine getting my ass kicked. My right hand is jacked from getting banged and cut up.

I am trying to get the upper radiator hose off this bitch and its one of those clamps and its way the hell deep in there. And I had to putt the stupid powersteering pump to replace the thermostat.

Hope to have it all put together by this weekend and going to get it to pass smog. Fingers crossed that I dont have to get a new cat...

WJJEEPIN
01-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Well into this girl for $700 and she is on the road. Still need two tires and to get in the doors to figure WTF is up with the windows but all in all a great beater.

CurtP
01-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Well into this girl for $700 and she is on the road. Still need two tires and to get in the doors to figure WTF is up with the windows but all in all a great beater.

Order yourself a Bentley Publisher repair manual from Amazon. It should be ISBN-13 978-0-8376-0366-7. I think your engine code is ABA.

What's wrong with the windows? VW windows are a pretty simple design so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Any recent pictures of the interior? That looked nasty as fuck. The grease on the driver's door is probably sweat and dirt from the fat ass. The window tracks are probably worn out from him going through the McDonald's drive-thru.

WJJEEPIN
01-09-2009, 11:42 AM
I've gotten a haynes manual. its been doing the job.

Well the front windows are off the track. I can grab the passenger window and pull it up or down. I have been lazy and havent pulled the door panel off yet. The rears dont move at all w/ switch or hand. Im guessing I may need new motors for the rear and the fronts hopefully need to just be put back on track.

I've used some degreaser on the interior and replaced those horrid mats with some cheapo target mats. The floors werent that bad it was just the matts that had taken the brunt. So its looking better. I will take a shot when I finish getting the panels scrubbed. Looking much better and I got a new radio so I dont have to sing to myself any more. Life is looking up. :smt045

Order yourself a Bentley Publisher repair manual from Amazon. It should be ISBN-13 978-0-8376-0366-7. I think your engine code is ABA.

What's wrong with the windows? VW windows are a pretty simple design so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Any recent pictures of the interior? That looked nasty as fuck. The grease on the driver's door is probably sweat and dirt from the fat ass. The window tracks are probably worn out from him going through the McDonald's drive-thru.

CurtP
01-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Trust me - get the Bentley manual. Well worth it. It will explain everything in absolute detail on how to fix an issue. I won't even touch a Haynes or Chilton's manual anymore. Factory manual or Bentley (which I believe is the factory manual for VW) are all I'll use.

I'm not even sure you can get a VW window off track. The ones I've seen are attached directly to welded mounts - there's not even an adjustment. Worn window channel guides, worn/broken rollers, glass detaching from the lift or bad motor are all I've ever seen. They don't put them together like they do domestics (thankfully).

WJJEEPIN
01-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Trust me - get the Bentley manual. Well worth it. It will explain everything in absolute detail on how to fix an issue. I won't even touch a Haynes or Chilton's manual anymore. Factory manual or Bentley (which I believe is the factory manual for VW) are all I'll use.

I'm not even sure you can get a VW window off track. The ones I've seen are attached directly to welded mounts - there's not even an adjustment. Worn window channel guides, worn/broken rollers, glass detaching from the lift or bad motor are all I've ever seen. They don't put them together like they do domestics (thankfully).

I'll keep my eye open for one on ebay or vw forums, thanks for the tip.

Also thanks for the ideas in the windows. I keep meaning to pull the doors off to get a closer look but I've been lazy. Its easy to do. If I get stuck Ill throw a pic on here. But sounds like its off track in the front and probably bad motors in rear. They dont even budge.

Do you know if I can grease tracks in the sun roof? I think since it sat for more than a year probably needs some grease cuz it groans a big when opening. And since its the only one that opens I want to keep it happy. :D

WJJEEPIN
01-23-2009, 01:06 AM
So I pulled the passenger panels. The front passenger cable snapped and that is why it moves up and down by hand. The rear pass side seems to be in order but when I press the button it just clicks. Not sure if the motor is fried or its a relay somewhere.

joys of another POS car that wants my money...

SuicideTireZJ
02-06-2009, 03:58 AM
joys of another POS car that wants my money...

I'm in the same boat you are. I'm heading down to Denver tomorrow to look at a couple early 90's VW GTi's and a Honda Prelude to pimp as a DD. Just can't afford to keep DD'ing the heep anymore since it breaks down on me once every couple thousand miles.

I'm really hoping I'm not setting aside one money pit for another.

WJJEEPIN
02-07-2009, 01:14 AM
I'm in the same boat you are. I'm heading down to Denver tomorrow to look at a couple early 90's VW GTi's and a Honda Prelude to pimp as a DD. Just can't afford to keep DD'ing the heep anymore since it breaks down on me once every couple thousand miles.

I'm really hoping I'm not setting aside one money pit for another.

What did you go with? If I were you I would have gone prelude. Unless the GTI was a MK2 which would be just as reliable. The MK3 just has too many little issues.

I still have no windows, Im working on it but I see no easy solution yet. My airbag light is on. I have no side strip on the passanger side which means I have 10 holes down the pass side allowing water to come in the doors. I have the strips and will cover soon. When I put it in reverse and turn the wheel I hear a pop.

I would NOT have gotten a MK3 had I got not got it for the price of the past due reg, $100. Im now into it $800 and I still need working windows and some new tires.

But hey I'm averaging 26mpg and most of my driving is in town and its nice to have a stick shift again. Even though its a putter engine its fun to bang around.

WJJEEPIN
02-11-2009, 01:50 PM
GOD DAMN MOTHER FUCKER!!!!!! :smt099

The Devil invented VW window regulators. I spent an hour of my life I will never get back fucking with that piece of shit.

Get this, the window is in no way attached to the cable. The pressure of the window in the bracket holds it against a ball afixed to the cable. It sits in a little plastic and metal holder.

:smt070

CurtP
02-11-2009, 02:36 PM
This is a newer model, but yours should look similar:

http://vwgolfr32.co.uk/windowregulator

The clips are probably broken and need to be replaced.

WJJEEPIN
02-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Maybe thats it. Its like VW tried to make the most complicated setup possible. Even in your link. WTF, you shouldnt need to deconstruct the atom bomb to put in a window regulator. It was the same thing with changing the thermostat, I had to pull the power steering setup to replace it.

It was my motor that was fried so I got a steal of a deal with this used setup with motor and regulator for $45 shipped. maybe the bracket on his is f'd up too.

I will take the one I yanked to the stealership and see if I can just get the window bracket or if I need the whole thing.