PDA

View Full Version : Floor Jacks... I need some input.

suburbia4X4
11-29-2008, 06:28 PM
So im looking to pick up a floor jack for my dad for the holidays. We have a little jack now thats too small for our trucks. (suburban, Jeep) Whenever we try to work on our trucks we spend half the time getting them off the ground. So i need a bigger floor jack to get him that i can use as well.

Sears has got some okay selection and dad is always down for the craftsman warranty, but i checked the reviews and didnt really get too much good feedback. i been checking out a few, 3 ton and 4 ton. should handle everything we throw at it but i read alot about the jacks losing pressure or leaking oil or going down when not supposed to.

So what are you guys rocking, how much did you spend, and how long has it lasted you?

Reccommendations welcome.

dangerousdave
11-29-2008, 07:13 PM
I dont think that Craftsmen provides a warranty on their jacks.... I have had a floor jack for over 6 years and never had a issue out of it. Ill get the name for you. The big thing is making sure you have them turned all the way. After some time the seals will get old in any hydraulic tool. You can rebuild them though.

CurtP
11-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Harbor Freight 2.5T long frame floor jack, part number 42820-7VGA. Comes with a rebuild kit, lifts to 31". Pick up their saddle base too (part number 36004-4VGA) to go along with it. While you're there, get two sets of 12T jack stands, part number 34924-9VGA (up to 30"). A few sets of their 6T jack stands are handy too (part number 38847-0VGA, 24").

I normally don't endorse Chinese crap, but you cannot find a US built floor jack these days. Well, you can, but not at any local place and not for under $500.

If you have a Northern Tool near you, they carry similar stuff as Harbor Freight, just not as cheap.

AgitatedPancake
11-29-2008, 08:52 PM
I'm on my second crafstman right now, and its starting to lose pressure and let the truck down on me just like the last one did.

both were the larger 2 ton, the newer is that aluminum speed jack

LouisianaZJ
11-29-2008, 08:57 PM
I have one from Sams/Costco it says michelin but is probably a chinese special

My last jack was a craftsman which broke down after 3yrs and was not that great.

suburbia4X4
11-30-2008, 02:10 AM
Aight, thanks guys. Ill probably go with the one from harbor freight. unless anyone says its not worth it or something.

speeddemon250
11-30-2008, 04:12 AM
Definitly had some bad luck with craftsman, only have a 1 yr warranty I believe, speaking from expirience with two of them.

auggeren911
11-30-2008, 10:30 AM
The Jack Kurt P is refering to is the way to go for the money. I'v had mine for 2 years. Beat the sh$t out of it and works good. Being that Im a warrenty tech for hft, that is buy far our best selling jack and has the least problematic history in our department of all of our jacks.

CurtP
11-30-2008, 10:48 AM
For those who have jack problems after a couple of years, this is a reminder to check your hydraulic fluid levels. Every time you use it, some fluid will seep past the seals to a certain degree. Unless your jack is leaving a puddle under it, refilling the fluid and purging the air out of the system should resolve poor performance.

All the jacks that you'll find at your big box stores will be Chinese. I don't think any of them are better than any of the other ones. I've had very good luck with the ones from HF, which is why I recommended them. I'd love to buy a US made jack, but the cheapest one I can find is $280 - made by Hein Werner (formally branded as Lincoln, which are all now Chinese). But even that one is rumored to have a made-in-China cylinder.

greengc4x4
11-30-2008, 11:45 AM
harbor frieght x3. ive had mine for well over two years and it still performs like new

nate
11-30-2008, 11:56 AM
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950156000P?vName=Tools&cName=Mechanics+Tools&sName=Lift+Equipment

This is the jack I have and I like it. Doesn't seem to have a good rating though? I haven't had any issues with it.

slim616
11-30-2008, 02:46 PM
x4 on the habor freight. I have the alluminuim one and it works great. if you get the no question warrenty for it your good to go for two years for half the price of craftsman.

AgitatedPancake
11-30-2008, 03:48 PM
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950156000P?vName=Tools&cName=Mechanics+Tools&sName=Lift+Equipment

This is the jack I have and I like it. Doesn't seem to have a good rating though? I haven't had any issues with it.

Thats the first one I had, I turned the "frame" into a case spreader =P

SirFuego
11-30-2008, 04:23 PM
I had the same jack as above and I didn't like it. The handle was pretty small and had issues with it staying up. I still need to check the fluid and figure out what the problem was, but I ended up getting another one for my garage.

I now have a Kobalt one from Lowes and haven't had any problems with it. Although I wish I would have splurged for an aluminum one since they are much lighter.

jsteves
11-30-2008, 10:23 PM
I have the Michelin/Sam's jack and love it. Much larger base than the old HF one I had and I actually trust it to old up a Jeep. Had for close to 2 years and no problems. Plus for $60 how could you go wrong?

suburbia4X4
12-01-2008, 02:20 AM
Looks like we all got our own opinions on stuff! i like it! thanks guys for the support on the HF jack. I know i spent wisely. Pops will be happy with the recommendation from all the guys who know what the fux up!

Thanks CurtP.

nate
12-01-2008, 02:29 AM
Haha!

I've had mine for about 5 years and it's worked great. Has no issues lifting up my diesel Dodge or the diesel Blazer and both of those are pretty heavy.

Thats the first one I had, I turned the "frame" into a case spreader =P