PDA

View Full Version : Best way to carry spare gas?

Tenow
11-26-2008, 04:29 AM
So I'm just kind of rambling off ideas here, it's the way my brain works.

Long story short, I want > 1000 mile range in my grand. The obvious answer is to just carry more gas.

The original idea I had was to just have 10 jerry cans to bring total fuel capacity up to 75 gallons. With 10 of them, it's super compartmentalized so if there is a leak the most I could lose is 5.28 gallons (20 liters), in a pinch I could grab one or two and walk out for more gas, and it would be easy to take them all off and toss them in my shed when I don't need them.

The downside of that was when I figured out I'd need to put them somewhere, and the only place I really can fit them would be the roof. Even if I put 4 on the rear bumper, that would still leave 6 up top, and that's somewhere over 200 extra pounds in the worst place possible. I'm already planning on having a ton of stuff on my roof, what's a safe weight limit?

I don't mean when will the roof start caving in, I mean when will I start rolling over when I try to change lanes and fun stuff like that.

AgitatedPancake
11-26-2008, 04:45 AM
You knew the question was coming, Why?

Or better yet, where?

Katesdad
11-26-2008, 07:33 AM
Its really not realistic. But a 32 gallon racing cell where the stock one is, would be a good start. Some lift springs in the rear.

IndyZJ
11-26-2008, 10:21 AM
The most realistic solution I can come up with would be a big flat secondary fuel cell in the cargo area. I have no idea how many gallons that would be, but something about the size of the floor back there and about 6" tall should hold quite a bit. I'd think it would have to be custom.

Again, why?

canadian_driver
11-26-2008, 11:49 AM
zip lock bags, they're smaller and you can stuff em anywhere

BigDaveZJ
11-26-2008, 12:00 PM
The most realistic solution I can come up with would be a big flat secondary fuel cell in the cargo area. I have no idea how many gallons that would be, but something about the size of the floor back there and about 6" tall should hold quite a bit. I'd think it would have to be custom.

Again, why?

You would also need to make sure it was properly vented if it's inside the cab.

The only thing I can think of is some super insane expedition wheeling, or some mad max end of the world type stuff, so I'll move this to the expedition forum.

Tenow
11-26-2008, 12:02 PM
I guess I can deal with having a couple on the bumper, but more would be better.

The whole idea was to have a ton of gas so I can pass through either areas with no gas at all or hostile gas prices.

Next year I have to be in Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego Argentina for a trip to Antarctica. That's already set in stone, I'm going no matter what. I still have to figure out how I'm going to get there. I want to drive, and I'm pretty sure that's how I am going to do it. If I'm going to drive to the southern most city in the world, I figure I might as well start in Prudhoe Bay, so I get to cross the entire panamerican highway. I'm researching the hell out of crossing the darien gap, if I can find a cheap enough way to ship the car around it I'll do that.

The bigger question right now is if I'm going to drive my jeep or not. One of my friends is trying real hard to talk me into using the new FJ Cruisers for the trip, and I'm a sucker for a working AC.

Tenow
11-26-2008, 12:11 PM
You would also need to make sure it was properly vented if it's inside the cab.

The only thing I can think of is some super insane expedition wheeling, or some mad max end of the world type stuff, so I'll move this to the expedition forum.

I didn't even know there was an expedition forum.

Cody
11-26-2008, 12:39 PM
That sounds like an epic trip. You may want to jump over to www.expeditionportal.com for some info on planning.

As for carrying that much fuel, I'd suggest a small expedition trailer. If you're going to be that far out there and that worried about hostile areas, you're going to want to carry a lot of spare stuff and a lot of food/water. I would look into a small trailer like an m416, m101 or some of the Adventure Trailer stuff.

Ted_Z
11-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Wow, 1000 miles? At 15mpg that's 67 gallons. With a 20 gallon stock tank you'll still need to tripple your capacity.

Pull the rear seats and have a custom tank(s) built to fit in that area. You don't want to add ~ 275 pounds of fuel over the rear springs only. Outside of that, pull a trailer.

fpkites
11-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Sheer curiosity here - are there laws in place anywhere with regard to transporting that much fuel in a passenger vehicle? State lines? Country borders? :confused:

Matt
11-26-2008, 01:56 PM
If I were to pick a vehicle for this, it'd be the FJ80. (No way I'd use the new FJ cruiser)

Sounds like a hell of a trip. Hell, just to Prudhoe Bay is a hellova trip.

Cody
11-26-2008, 02:15 PM
I would choose a toyota also...an fj80 or a tacoma. Actually, a Tacoma could solve your fuel carrying problems with it's cargo capacity.

Toyota's are much easier to find parts and service for in foreign countries, and they blend in better. The last thing you really want to do in some of those areas is stand out like a sore thumb.

CSLOFFROAD_COM
11-27-2008, 12:20 AM
Y don't you lift the vehicle and just use a set of Diesel side tanks. Those tanks can hold around 50 gallons. You do realize that you'd be adding (8.33 * 75 = 624.75 lbs). You may just want to buy one of those offroad trailers and drag that behind! I gotta tell ya, if you came back with a story about how you were arrested for smuggling fuel, I would wet myself!

nate
11-27-2008, 01:19 AM
Yes. I know you can't have a tank in a pickup bed over 100 or 110 gals without it being placarded and the truck/driver probably licensed... it's considered a "tanker" at that point. I bed something like that applies to fuel cans as well.

Sheer curiosity here - are there laws in place anywhere with regard to transporting that much fuel in a passenger vehicle? State lines? Country borders? :confused:

hkszx2
11-27-2008, 10:32 AM
i wouldnt trust the 5.2 l motor to make it that far! or the shitty trans

IndyZJ
11-27-2008, 12:55 PM

My ZJ with a 5.2 has gone 1,000 miles 190 times with no catastrophic failures... all depends on how it's maintained.

That said, I'd rather drive through Central/ South America in a 4 cyl. Toyota pikcup to blend in better if for nothing else. Those things are everywhere south of the border.

dp96zj
11-27-2008, 02:00 PM
I bet the Grand could make the trip, just stay on top of the oil changes :D

Regardless of what you're driving, take plenty of pics and share em with us.

Good Luck!

jarrod
11-27-2008, 02:43 PM
If it were me, I would build a small trailer around something like this
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/34901014_lg.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:showhide('moreimages');).
Put it low in the trailer to keep COG down. with the 20 gallon tank and this, you have 80 gallons combined.

greengc4x4
11-27-2008, 06:14 PM
i drive 1000 miles a week in my 5.2, no problems :smt017

hkszx2
11-27-2008, 06:56 PM
Im sorry im just bitter about having to replace the motor and trans a month apart from each other lol

zj-monster
11-27-2008, 07:35 PM
With the money you're gonna spend filling up those tanks, why not just hit the gas station where ever you're going?

Are there gas stations where you're going?

AgitatedPancake
11-28-2008, 02:19 AM
With the money you're gonna spend filling up those tanks, why not just hit the gas station where ever you're going?

Are there gas stations where you're going?

I guess I can deal with having a couple on the bumper, but more would be better.

The whole idea was to have a ton of gas so I can pass through either areas with no gas at all or hostile gas prices.

Next year I have to be in Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego Argentina for a trip to Antarctica. That's already set in stone, I'm going no matter what. I still have to figure out how I'm going to get there. I want to drive, and I'm pretty sure that's how I am going to do it. If I'm going to drive to the southern most city in the world, I figure I might as well start in Prudhoe Bay, so I get to cross the entire panamerican highway. I'm researching the hell out of crossing the darien gap, if I can find a cheap enough way to ship the car around it I'll do that.

The bigger question right now is if I'm going to drive my jeep or not. One of my friends is trying real hard to talk me into using the new FJ Cruisers for the trip, and I'm a sucker for a working AC.

Yeah............

Tanto
12-13-2008, 11:09 PM
Because sometimes you go places where there are no gas stations.

One more on top and two off the rear and you are set.

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/936/cruiserxd1.jpg

ZJ TINS
03-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Try army surplus water trailers, some are quite small 200-400 gallon. You can park it and come back to it later.

400 gal army water trailer
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

ZJRuss
05-24-2010, 02:48 PM
www.thelongranger.com.au. (http://www.thelongranger.com.au/)

JolleyRoger
05-24-2010, 06:32 PM
I know I've seen an auxillary tank that fits between the drivers side unit body and the driveshaft opposite the exhaust... however, I can't seem to find my link,

ZJRuss
05-25-2010, 12:05 PM
Yeah, check out the ARB.au site, it's in the Grand Cherokee section. Check the Chrysler tab in LongRanger site to find the ZJ tanks, since Jeep's not one of the choices. With enough interest, maybe we could get a group buy together to defray the costs of shipping from Aus. I'll bet this tank could be coaxed to work with a long arm system with a little creative fabrication too!

PassRunnerZJ
05-27-2010, 12:42 AM
Where to put the extra fuel is not what I would be concerned about if you want to take your ZJ, but the 230k (looking at your sig) on a unitbody based vehicle, engine (any engine), and likely 44a. Maybe you have changed your engine and bearings on the 44a, but the unitbody is a serious concern unless you have not wheeled it much. Still all the weight of the spares and gear you would need is going to stress things more than engineers planned.

My $0.02 would be to go with a Toyota truck based vehicle unless you need a wagon for potential sleeping room, then an FJ80.

No I am not bagging on the Grand's base body, nor 5.2, but this isn't the best place to be taking a poorly supported vehicle.

PoserZJ
07-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Are there any other manufacturers of extended range fuel tanks other than the long ranger? Perhaps a larger factory style tank,like the one downey offers for a tacoma?

iluvtruenos
02-06-2011, 05:25 PM
I know I'm going to hell for resurrecting a 7 month old thread, but whatever.

On a WJ you can get a custom built tank that inserts into the spare tire compartment.

If you want to utilize the most space, then completely cut out the spare tire compartment between the frame rails and insert a square fuel cell.

As for other vehicles, how about using steel bumpers? Many Land Cruiser guys store compressed air in their bumpers, so why not fuel? You can have it separated by bulkheads so if you spring a leak in one compartment, you're not losing all your fuel.

IndyZJ
02-06-2011, 07:10 PM
As for other vehicles, how about using steel bumpers? Many Land Cruiser guys store compressed air in their bumpers, so why not fuel? You can have it separated by bulkheads so if you spring a leak in one compartment, you're not losing all your fuel.

Why the hell would you want a gas tank to be the first thing to get hit in a rear end collision?

cLAYH
02-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Probably drove a Pinto in a former life.....

cLAYH
02-06-2011, 11:09 PM
I too have seen an auxillary tank that goes on the driver's side opposite of the muffler from australia. I'm betting you could get one made at a local custom truck upfitter shop that sells to the commercial industry. They often make custom tanks for commercial/service trucks.

iluvtruenos
02-07-2011, 01:43 AM
Why the hell would you want a gas tank to be the first thing to get hit in a rear end collision?

........if you've got a lifted Jeep that qualifies a need for a steel front/rear bumper, then your gas tank is going to be hit by the Toyota that submarines under you, and the driver's head is what's going to hit your back bumper.

albersondh
02-07-2011, 01:34 PM

The bumper would need to be made from 4x4x.188 and at least 12' of tube used just to get close to 10gal. At which point, a jerry can starts to look like a pretty good idea..... Not trying to crush the idea but check out some volume calculators, and you will quickly find that the space needed to net eough volume to make it worth the effort would have you living with enormous/heavy bumpers.