PDA

View Full Version : Seat Mounts

SirFuego
11-21-2008, 10:53 AM
So I'm looking to pick up some new seats for the ZJ and was wondering what the best way to mount them would be. If you had a full roll cage and solid stock seat mounts, would you:
1) Just use the seat adapters for the aftermarket seat and mount to the floor (would provide adjustability)
2) Run tubing across the floor that ties into the roll cage for seat mounts (would probably put the seats in a fixed position)
3) Do something else

In terms of safety, is there really a difference between 1 and 2?

paulkeith
11-21-2008, 11:03 AM
If your rollcage is tied to the unibody very well, i dont think there is much of a difference between 1 and 2.

All I'd recommend is that you mount the belts to whatever you mount the seats to. If you go the 2) option, I'd but in a belt bar too. You could find a way for the seats to still be adjustable on the cage too.

my 0.02
Paul

SirFuego
11-21-2008, 11:15 AM
The cage will be tied in very well.

Good point about the harness mounts. I'm going to run a bar at the proper height across the B pillar for the shoulder mount(s) (undecided on doing a V or H style harness yet), but I still need to figure out what to do for the other 3 mounts, so that seems to be a good idea.

ATL ZJ
11-21-2008, 11:33 AM
The seat adapters are probably easier. Strengthwise, they'd be OK unless you are a really heavy guy and plan to roll the rig once a weekend. A side benefit of the unibody design is that you get a pretty strong floor.

The downside to those stock seat bracket adapters is that they may put your seat higher than it needs to be. Which could make your cage taller than it needs to be. Which could marginally raise your COG. And lessen garage clearance, etc. My seats are mounted in a fixed position to the cage and are tied into the floor too.

SirFuego
11-21-2008, 11:37 AM
The downside to those stock seat bracket adapters is that they may put your seat higher than it needs to be.
Yeah I wasn't sure about that either. I'm about 6' tall, which isn't that tall, but still tall enough to where I don't need the seat really high. Garage clearance actually is a concern, too.

zj95maxx
11-21-2008, 01:42 PM
For mine, I just unbolted the stock seat from the track, ran some angle iron over the track with holes drilled out, welded tabs for seats. Boom, aftermarket seats on stock track, works great. I can show pics if you want.

indy242003
11-21-2008, 03:10 PM
For mine, I just unbolted the stock seat from the track, ran some angle iron over the track with holes drilled out, welded tabs for seats. Boom, aftermarket seats on stock track, works great. I can show pics if you want.

Just becareful when you measure to hold the tracks parallel to each other, and do not incorperate a twist in them when doing this. I am an automotive engineer for a seating company and it can easily be done. Just a few millimeters out of square will cause a binding in the tracks. If you have to force it back on the track studs, it's wrong. They will bind and if you're running power seats quickly toast the drive motors. Take your time to square the frame that you are bolting on the tracks.

You can even keep your sliders if you want them on the cage. Just cut the riser to the floor and weld it to the tube. Just like Maxx said, boom, power aftermarket seats. :-D

zj95maxx
11-21-2008, 03:27 PM
nah, mine arent on electric tracks, all manual

SirFuego
11-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks, Maxx. I'm pretty sure I know what you mean.

I guess I'll just decide when I get the seats how the best way to mount them will be since it looks like there are multiple "safe" ways to do it.