PDA

View Full Version : Axle Straps, which type

newman187
11-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Figure its about time I strap the jeep to the trailer properly. I saw a video on youtube a while back that I cant find on the proper technique of using 4 point strapping using axle straps, I did a search on this site but couldn't find it, i was pretty sure I saw that link here but i digress. Which type of axle straps are the best? Which type do you all use?

BigDaveZJ
11-19-2008, 02:20 PM
I just went down to the farm supply store and grabbed some straps. Think they're each rated around 3,500lbs working load and 10,000lbs break point. I've got 4 straps, 2 to each axle, and call it good. My rig is rather low though as far as trailered rigs go, so some guys will cinch the suspension down to help eliminate body roll on the trailer too. I do NOT like the method of only strapping to the body though because the suspension will still move on the trailer putting slack in the straps.

newman187
11-19-2008, 02:22 PM
I totally agree on loading the suspension thing, I usually just use 2 30' straps and call it good, however after seeing that video (wish i could find the damn thing) I think axle straps are the way to go.

newman187
11-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Great. . . .Success

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btRWr3OO-hs&feature=related

SirFuego
11-19-2008, 02:38 PM
I got my straps from Tractor Supply. I use a total of 6 ratchet straps to tie mine down. Two are criss-crossed at each bumper to eliminate body roll and one is run to each axle. Of course the ones to the axle hook to axle straps that go around the axle.

EDIT: Like the above video shows, make sure that when you are tying down the axles to leave enough slack before you start ratcheting the strap.

rstrucks
11-19-2008, 10:53 PM
You can certainly get away with using walmart/tractor supply straps - I do. The more you use them the more you will want some nice ones. The cheap ones always seem to get more difficult to operate rather quickly. Mac's makes some good straps and sells a nice bag/kit that all you'd need. I guess like almost everything else - you get what you pay for.

As for how I tie down....two front, two rear over the axle tubes, crossed if its easy.

grnd93
11-19-2008, 11:14 PM
For what it's worth...I used to load vehicles (mostly hmmwv's) on airplanes. We virtually never used straps on the axles. We usually used the tie-down points on the bumpers or frame. If we couldn't get enough restaint that way, the transmission crossmember usually did the trick.

ATL ZJ
11-20-2008, 01:30 AM
I see most of the professional haulers tying down to the body/suspension. But I think it has a lot to do with the fact that your average car doesn't have much travel in the suspension. Our modified 4x4s are a different story. There is a lot of suspension travel that could cause a strap to pop loose if the rig isn't cinched down to the bumps.

I always strap to the axles using some northern tool straps I bought about 3 years ago. The front axle gets the short straps looped around it and then the larger ratchet straps connect those to the trailer in the front. In the rear, I use a large chain binder around the center of the axle to a D ring on the trailer. Then I use the hand winch on the trailer to cinch the front suspension down a bit. But maybe I won't have to use the winch anymore since my rig rides on the bumps now ;)

mac67
11-20-2008, 10:16 AM
i drove a tow truck for 3 years and the best way i was ever taught was to use 4 straps criss crossed at each end of axle to trailer. i was always told not to load the suspension beacuse it will transfer all the movment to the trailers suspension which is very limited.just my 2 cents

ATL ZJ
11-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Two crisscrossed straps to each axle, cinched to the corners of the trailer is the best way. It's safer to have more than one strap pulling in each direction for some redundancy. I probably need to figure out how to add a second strap or safety chain to my setup, since I'd be in a world of hurt if my single chain binder in the rear came loose.

rstrucks
11-20-2008, 10:37 AM
i drove a tow truck for 3 years and the best way i was ever taught was to use 4 straps criss crossed at each end of axle to trailer. i was always told not to load the suspension beacuse it will transfer all the movment to the trailers suspension which is very limited.just my 2 cents

X2. I am under the impression that its best to let the towed vehicles suspension work. I tie my car down w/ straps through the wheels and my atv w/ straps over the tires. A lifted Jeep with lots of body roll could probably use a bit of cinching down to help that out. I just wouldn't compress the suspension too much - its not good for springs, bushings, etc...

Just my .02

newman187
11-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Well I went and bought some straps from MAC's yesterday and they will arrive tomorrow. I had them build me some custom straps though and at 7 bucks a strap it wasn't a deal breaker. I had him make the straps so I would be able to either use the hook or the L shaped bracket for the side pocket on the side of the trailer incase the trailer I was using had either one type of the other (long story short my trailer was stolen and I have to rent one till i have the cash for a new one).

Any way they were really nice at MAC's if you need a quality set of straps i'd go that way and I came out for under 200 bucks for a set of 4 straps, a bag and some velcro straps to tie up the slack.