PDA

View Full Version : Snap On vs. Matco vs. Cornwell

Inavacuum
11-19-2008, 12:47 AM
Well....here's the deal guys. I'm offered a 50-60% discount by all three of these tool manufacturers because I'm a student. Snap On is by far the most expensive at around $5428 (list ~$12,000) with Matco not too far behind at about $4665, and Cornwell being the most affordable at about $3147. All three of these quotes contain a very similar line up of tools and a very similar sized box. I was just hoping somebody here who is in the field would shed some light on which company they would go with, given the student discount the opportunity, and why.

utah_ZJ
11-19-2008, 01:00 AM
Snap On is my favorite if money is no object but when it comes to a better balance between quality and price I would say Matco.

nate
11-19-2008, 01:22 AM
I'm the tool guy at work and we used to buy only Snap On until I started having issues with customer service from the rep. It was a hassle to get him to come out. Wouldn't show up at appointed times, then wouldn't answer his phone or return calls, emails, etc. I turned in some broken tools 4 months ago and still no replacement to give you an idea.
I flat out told him I was going with Matco if he didn't shape up. It helped for a few months and that was it.

Now keep in mind we spend some serious $$ with these guys. I have almost $30k of tools and 3 boxes on order with Matco right now actually.

Now it's Matco and I've been happy with them. Broken tool? I just call the rep and he ships a new one to me. Doesn't give me the 20 question routine on why it broke and hmmms and haaass about maybe not being able to replace it, etc.
I just take the broken on and throw it in the box, stick the UPS label on it and UPS takes care of the rest.

The only thing I hate is some of their stuff is neon colors, like bright orange screwdriver handles, etc. Reminds me of Harbor Freight stuff for whatever reason.

Haven't dealt with Cornwell at all. There is also MAC Tools. I know they are a student vendor as well.

canadian_driver
11-19-2008, 01:52 AM
all the guys at my shop are with matco. they say there is no diffrence between snap on and matco tools, but snap on is a bitch with customer service. any matco tool has been replaced or repaired under warrenty.

except for impact guns, all swear by Ingersol rand

JWCustomFab
11-19-2008, 09:24 AM
Matco and Snap On are both great. I have a Matco box which I love and about 80% of my tools are Matco with the rest Snap On. Snap On is known for top notch quality, but their customer service has gone down drastically. My Matco rep will replace something if I'm not happy with it, not just if it is broken. I bought the majority of my Matco when I was in school and spent about $10,000 then so now is the time to buy it.

Inavacuum
11-19-2008, 12:32 PM
The only thing I hate is some of their stuff is neon colors, like bright orange screwdriver handles, etc. Reminds me of Harbor Freight stuff for whatever reason.

I get that same feeling actually, it just makes it look cheap.

This is surprising to hear all this about Snap-On Customer Service. I'd never have guessed. Seems you'd be more than willing to help out a customer who spends that kind of money with you. Also to see this across the board instead of isolated to a few areas. Guess I should talk to some locals and see how Snap-On support is.

Mtn WJ
11-19-2008, 01:00 PM
I have a friend that used to be a Snap On franchise owner driver and switched to Cornwell. He claims that he has to sell more volume to make the same amount of money but likes the company and service better. I would suggest investigating the local drivers and see what their reps are.

rstrucks
11-20-2008, 12:48 PM
If your getting the discount go with Snap-on. I went through the same thing when I was a student. Hell, I sold my YJ and 72 Nova to buy tools at such a reduced price and I'm glad I did (sorta, wish I still had my Nova). 90% of my stuff is Snap-on.

Matco makes good stuff as well and they are more affordable but trust me there is a difference and its not just in price. A lot of their stuff is just as good but there are ergonomic, finish, durability differences.

Cornwell is lowest on the totem (sp?) poll and the they have the lowest prices as well. I think they are of similar quality to Craftsmen tools but they get delivered.

Like Mtn WJ said - check with local reps to help you decide. I never had any issues w/ the Snap-on drivers. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to track down your local rep to have a tool replaced that you need to make money.

Ryan

nate
11-22-2008, 12:59 AM
All depends. Some stuff Snap On carries Craftsman has as well. Lots of stuff is just relabeled OTC tools.

I get a laugh when I see it for sale at Sears for $25 and it's $125 at Snap On. SAME EXACT thing other than the label.

-=Lurker=-
12-26-2008, 04:03 AM
Snap on for toolboxes, wrenches, sockets, anything calibrated, most hand tools and diagnostic tools (gauges, electronics etc).

Matco has the BEST impact swivel sockets out of all of them hands down. Though they will cost you $30 min per socket, they have never let me down. The rest of their tools are good too. Don't care for their boxes though.

Cornwell is by some considered to be "up there" if not equal to Snap-On quality by west-coasters. Their tools are good. More industrial coated stuff (Black Oxide finish). Their boxes are very rugged.

Mac has some good tools too. Great boxes like Snap-On and Cornwell (Maximizer series anyway). I don't care for their wrenches though. The square edges are hard on your palms and fingers after a while.

I buy from all of them. It just depends on what I'm looking for and who has the best design. All of them warranty hand tools so it just comes down to design and preference really. Hell Craftsman stuff is as good as any other in alot of cases and cheaper too. You just gotta know what you're looking for and be smart about shopping for tools.

IR Titanium for air tools though Snap-On's are good aswell, just a bit more pricey. CP and Air-Cat are lower priced yet good alternatives.

As others have said already, alot of tools out there are made by third parties and branded as the top 4.

After 1 1/2" a wrench is a wrench. I've been working on big-rigs and HE for a while now and I've never seen anybody fork over $250+ for a 2"+ wrench when a $5 China wrench of the same size can back up a bolt just as well.

redline61
12-26-2008, 03:00 PM
It is all about luck in most cases. The Snap On rep in my area is a great guy and really nice. Plus he has always replaced anything for me, but I hate how he drills me on how it broke. If something is going to cost four times as much as Craftsman then it should at least come with Craftsmans service. At work we have Snap On and Matco. Good products and Matco had better customer service but was not reliable on getting here when he was supposed to. At home there is very little of the two and a lot of Craftsman. There is nothing better than to have a screwdriver with a pipe over it prying on something and after it breaks going to Sears and they give you a new one with a smile with no questions at all. Although I am not a big fan of there boxes. They are pretty nice but I don't thinkthey will last like a Snap On or Matco box will. Good luck.

rob92xj
03-05-2009, 07:08 AM
Old thread but had to chime in.
I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER SNAP-ON TOOLBOX. When 3 of my draw slides fell apart(very common) my local Snap-On dealer wanted to charge me $125 per draw to get me new slides they are a lifetime warranty, called Snap-On customer service and they wouldn't do anything.

I have replaced my Snap-On box with a Matco, better customer service, when my tool box was damaged moving into our new shop they took care of it as if it was warrantied. I did consider a Cornwell since I've become very good friends with our Cornwell dealer but even he said that I was better off with the Matco box for the size of box I was getting but there new boxes are sweet.

As my Snap On tools break they are being replaced with Matco and Cornwell tools. The reason for the florescent colored screwdrivers is to make them easier to see underhood.

I would have to say I would go with the Matco set personally unless the Cornwell set has there new series of tool box.

Goosed76
03-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Up until last week, I worked for a stealer ship. I own a Matco(lower end) box for now, was hoping to upgrade into a 6S series box, 2 bay, 28", maybe 31" deep. I own a lot of Matco Tools just because the box was financed and it was easier to make payment to one guy for the credit line and the truck account.
Dealers vary- first shop I worked at, the Snap-On rep was a real tool himself(pun intended). Had tools he wouldn't warranty(had him actually try to sharpen a pair of chipped side cutters to avoid warranty) and was just pushing and rubbed all the guys wrong. Our Mac dealer was super cool and was always there every week, and had a good variety of tools on board. I ended up with a Matco box after attempting to get financed through Sears for a starter box(2 bay, top and bottom, w/ side cabinet) on promo for $1700. Sears wouldn't give me a credit line, so the Matco dealer had a Proformance Series box that was being discontinued(Updated to 4S badging) and just wanted it gone, so he knocked $1000 off, and had a promo of 10% interest and $500 in tools with the purchase of a box- I was sold. Now, after changing shops- my Matco guy is alot different(took a month and a half to get 1 screwdriver, a month for a side shelf for my cart, etc.)(priced a Bosch bit driver kit- Matco said $280, Mac said $165- who do you think I bought it from?)so I was paying off my account and moving more towards Mac and Snap-On because the dealers were better guys.
Hey, i spent $8500 on tools in 2007, and $5500 in 2008- for that money, I want to be treated fairly.
Alot of tools are relabeld OTC stuff and the like. Find out what stuff this is(guaged, pullers, special tools) and find the cheapest place to get them- it'll literally save you thousands in the long run. I have kits from Matco that are identical to kits from Snap-On and Mac except for the label on the case.
I agree, Matco universal/swivel sockets are great(but not cheap). Like the Mac 'Edge' sockets, Snap-On wrenches- They all make great tools. Get the better rep and you'll be happy.

adgroza
03-15-2009, 10:42 PM
i mostly buy mac. when i was in the body shop i spent iver $4000 in one year, just to get some basic tools and a tech series box. the edge line of sockets and wrenchs is awesome. i was on track to spend another $6000 the next year on the bigger priced items, but started work for directv and hate myself everyday for it. i do really like snapon ratchets more though. anyway just look at the tools you will see what quality you will get. with those names you only have to buy it once, unless you lose it!

rob92xj
03-20-2009, 01:39 AM
We have had a new Snap On dealer for awhile and he is a really cool guy and he is always asking me to buy something from him I told him it is not personal against him as he is a great rep(rare for a Snap On dealer) but I just don't want to do business with a company that treated me like another jack a** off the street after spending @70K in 10 years with them. I have never had a problem with any other tool company I have a roll cart that a draw roller fell out of from Mac and I called them I have a new one coming no questions asked.

The thing that really sux is that my Miller welder ran out of gas and wire, so I used a friend and co-workers new Snap On Muscle Mig 110 welder and it welded really sweet now I want one but I cannot justify the cost of the Snap On unit over $3000 for a 110.

nate
03-20-2009, 02:51 PM
I wasn't aware of the lifetime warranty on the toolbox.

I had a few slides that were stiff so I replaced them. It cost me $20 for 4 of them through Snap On.

Old thread but had to chime in.
I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER SNAP-ON TOOLBOX. When 3 of my draw slides fell apart(very common) my local Snap-On dealer wanted to charge me $125 per draw to get me new slides they are a lifetime warranty, called Snap-On customer service and they wouldn't do anything.

I have replaced my Snap-On box with a Matco, better customer service, when my tool box was damaged moving into our new shop they took care of it as if it was warrantied. I did consider a Cornwell since I've become very good friends with our Cornwell dealer but even he said that I was better off with the Matco box for the size of box I was getting but there new boxes are sweet.

As my Snap On tools break they are being replaced with Matco and Cornwell tools. The reason for the florescent colored screwdrivers is to make them easier to see underhood.

I would have to say I would go with the Matco set personally unless the Cornwell set has there new series of tool box.