PDA

View Full Version : NEW FORUM - Expedition Wheeling

BigDaveZJ
11-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Lately I've seen some interest in this aspect of our sport popping up around the board, and I know it's something that I'm really looking forward to doing a lot of, so I figured I'd start a separate forum for it. Hopefully we can foster some good discussion on the topic here.

So, anyone got any cool trips in the works, or some mods they've done specifically for expedition wheeling? Pam and I are hoping to make a week-long trek late next summer around Buena Vista, Aspen, Crested Butte, and Gunnison. Looking like around 400 miles, with only 20 or so of it on pavement.

Cody
11-13-2008, 02:13 PM
very nice! I like!

dangerousdave
11-13-2008, 02:51 PM
That sounds cool Dave. I whats the plan as far as supplies and gas?

BigDaveZJ
11-13-2008, 03:07 PM
whats the plan as far as supplies and gas?

Gas should be pretty easy actually. There will be enough civilization where we'd be able to fill up roughly every other day very easily. There's enough little mountain towns around there where we'll never get too far away from civilization. Figured that'd be a good thing for our first trip like this. In the future I want to do some trips where we won't see ANY civilization for days on end, so I'm hoping this will give us some experience and still have a safety net in place.

Cody
11-13-2008, 03:48 PM
I might be interested in joining along in your trip.....if I can invite myself ;)

CrawlerReady
11-13-2008, 04:12 PM
My ZJ will be expedition worthy come spring! Cody and Dom have been making me jealous so it's time I make a few changes to the Jeep so it can do these kinds of trips :D

Cody
11-13-2008, 04:24 PM
That'd be killer man. You need to build a buggy or something so you can go thrash, and then drop the ZJ down. I think a ZJ on 4.5" and 33's is the perfect setup for expedition stuff.

v8 obviously ;)

Gravesdigger
11-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Cool Idea with the expedition forum

I agree with Cody that's what I'm doing with this ZJ.

and more buggyfication to my XJ

Cody
11-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Mine, being 6.5" lift and 35's, and full width, is just a little bit too big. It does do well on the freeway, but not as well as a more mild build.

BigDaveZJ
11-13-2008, 04:53 PM
I might be interested in joining along in your trip.....if I can invite myself ;)

Certainly!

BigDaveZJ
11-13-2008, 04:56 PM
My ZJ will be expedition worthy come spring! Cody and Dom have been making me jealous so it's time I make a few changes to the Jeep so it can do these kinds of trips :D

I'm gonna be making some changes over the winter as well. Pam's ZJ can already go 95% of the places in CO, mine can go a few more, but not very comfortably. Gonna pull the spool for an Aussie (hopefully this weekend) and try to come up with something to enclose the back, and add a front swaybar. Still going to be a trailer queen, but it'll also be nice to know that I can actually drive it back from a trail if someone else needs my trailer.

dirty
11-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Mine, being 6.5" lift and 35's, and full width, is just a little bit too big. It does do well on the freeway, but not as well as a more mild build.

Mine is similar, I'm hoping to cut the hell out of it and lower it as much as possible, hopefully 35s wont be too big. This sounds like a lot of fun, this is more what mine was built to do in the first place...or at least my intentions, lol.

Good news is, I still have my roof! And a sweet expeditionary roof rack!

BigDaveZJ
11-13-2008, 05:16 PM
35's can easily be done at 4.5" of lift as long you have long arms and are friendly with your cutting tools!

dirty
11-13-2008, 05:21 PM
35's can easily be done at 4.5" of lift as long you have long arms and are friendly with your cutting tools!

4.5"...really, my nieghbors are gonna hate the next few months. :D

I have to stick with the 35s now, I geared for them, and I'm not re-doing that chit. I'd be running 3000+ rpms on highway with 33s, lol. Sawzall meet my good friend....beer, grinder meet my good friend....bourban...

BigDaveZJ
11-13-2008, 05:31 PM
RE 4.5" coils and 35's
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/wheelinpics/moaboct2008/moaboct200800480.jpg

dirty
11-13-2008, 05:34 PM
Got any closups of it's ass, the front I can take care of, lol. Thanks Dave!

Cody
11-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Dave, I'm sure there is a place in CO that makes canvas covers for boats and such. I bet they could put together a bitchin little soft top for that thing.

CrawlerReady
11-13-2008, 05:58 PM
Yeah I'm pulling the spool out and probably throwing a Detriot back in there...then I'll have another set of 37's on regular wheels rather than beadlocks as well. Other than that, I think it would do alright as an expedition rig. I'll still keep my eyes out for another ZJ though ;)

Cody
11-13-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm sure it would be fine. I only say 33's and 4.5 inches because rarely do you encounter terrain that requires any more than that when doing long range trails.

BigDaveZJ
11-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Got any closups of it's ass, the front I can take care of, lol. Thanks Dave!

The back is actually a lot easier than the front. Over the winter, I'm going to cut to where the actual door is and then plug weld the two layers (inner and outer fender) together and probably put some sort of weather strip material over it.

Dave, I'm sure there is a place in CO that makes canvas covers for boats and such. I bet they could put together a bitchin little soft top for that thing.

Oh there is. It'll probably end up being just a windjammer though to keep it cheap.

paulkeith
11-13-2008, 06:24 PM
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/wheelinpics/moaboct2008/moaboct200800480.jpg

oh my landscape. I think I need to move out west...

/unrelated post

Gravesdigger
11-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Yeah I'm pulling the spool out and probably throwing a Detriot back in there...then I'll have another set of 37's on regular wheels rather than beadlocks as well. Other than that, I think it would do alright as an expedition rig. I'll still keep my eyes out for another ZJ though ;)

funny, I need to pull my lincoln locker too and install the Detroit that has been rolling around in the back of the XJ for the last 2 weeks :smt082

Matt
11-13-2008, 07:44 PM
I think a ZJ on 4.5" and 33's is the perfect setup for expedition stuff.

v8 obviously ;)

I agree with this 100%. My ZJ was much more road worthy on 5" and 33's. My trip to the San Juans last summer in the stock XJ I realized I don't need to much to hit the passes and see the sights. I'll throw a BB and disco's and it should be able to go quite a few places and still be a sweet DD (it'll also be a nice setup for AK as well, if I choose that route).

Fish1200
11-13-2008, 08:10 PM
talkin about cuttin the rear i just did this today. getting 35s tomorrow
http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq146/fish1200/11-13-08_1548.jpg

dirty
11-13-2008, 08:10 PM
I agree with this 100%. My ZJ was much more road worthy on 5" and 33's. My trip to the San Juans last summer in the stock XJ I realized I don't need to much to hit the passes and see the sights. I'll throw a BB and disco's and it should be able to go quite a few places and still be a sweet DD (it'll also be a nice setup for AK as well, if I choose that route).

Governor Palen has one more daughter left...might want to wait a few years though, lol! :partyman:

I have always dreamed of living in Alaska...unfortunately, all thier oil rights are owned by the state...making my line of work completely useless up there. So I'm stuck in KS, OK, and Tehas.

Mtn WJ
11-14-2008, 12:26 AM
Good forum idea.

I have been building my WJ as an adventure vehicle as much as a rock crawler. I think that is one of the best things about a modded Grand Cherokee. Capable wheelers with enough room for people and gear. This could be a good forum.

Keith

radar95zj
11-16-2008, 04:17 PM
i am certainly all for it. Once i get the tranny fixxed in the orvis i plan on making it a long distance wheeler. I think there are alot of guys who would appreciate it.

haymaker
11-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Great idea. I knew the style of build I wanted to do but I never could put my finger on the name. Expedition rig! of course! I like trail boppin and all that but I want my jeep to be able to get just about anywhere in comfort and thats how I have it put together! Can't wait to post more in here as well as seeing what everybody else can come up with

Screwfly
11-25-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm planning on building my ZJ for this type of wheeling as well.
Great idea.
It'll be great for a newb like me!

Tanto
12-13-2008, 11:13 PM
Where I spend most of my time on the Internet: http://www.expeditionportal.com/

I have the same screen name there, incredible amount of information. You've just opened up a whole new world here.

cjotto
02-03-2009, 03:31 AM
I also am doing an expo build so far i got about half of it done. need a new tranny and t/c this spring opting for a 3550 and 231 see newbie tech for my question.I like the reliablity of the manual over the auto. running 2 inch spacers up front and xj coils in back 4.56s and 4340s all around. a detriot out back and arb up front. a warn m8000 on a custom bumper i built up front. need to get the sliders and skids done and the rear bumper. probably stick with the 31 destinations this year but want to upgrade to 2in spacers and 2 in old man emu and 33 next year. cant wait to get it out again. went to the black hills last year. AMAZing is all i cant say.

mav383
06-11-2009, 09:07 PM
I am in the unique postion to do some awsome expeditons. Now I just need to get my WJ up to par. Here are some links to a few I am considering.
Siberia http://www.offroadexpedition.com/siberiaoverland.html
Italian Alps http://www.xtrallusion.com/Adventure/x/4x4_by_Ref_1.html
Also a few trips self planed in Czech Republick, Romania, Poland, Austria maybe even as far as roaming through the Sahara. We will just have to see. But first some serious mods to the jeep. Everthing from a winch, roof rack, lights, more lift and tires ect. You know everything we all want! If anyone has any suggestions or have heard of anything specific let me know. I'd love to check it out.

Matt
06-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Nice bud, I think we're all drooling over here.

1 question though.... why a Grand Cherokee (when a Toyota/Rover would be a better choice)?? Different is good though. ;)