PDA

View Full Version : Howling on the dub

rrubio
11-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Yes this is a noobie question. Front end hows when in 4-Fulltime only.If I put it in 2wd the howling goes away.Could this be my TC or the hub bearing when powers goes to it in 4-fulltime? Anyone incounter the same problem or any ideas what it could be?I already took out the driveshaft and just like being in 2wd the howling goes away.The howling seems like its on the driverside but ofcourse im driving it so its hard to tell if the passenger side howls or not.Kim said "what now" when I told her something was wrong with the Jeep,she was just joking ofcourse.

nierace
11-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Your hub is probably shot...jack up the wheel then check for play by grabbing the tire and jerking it around.

Try not to get turned on.

rrubio
11-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Forgot to add that Nick.I did that before I pulled my driveshaft out.Hub seems to be ok.
I also recently put in new shaft axles that I got off of craigslist.Could it be possible that he sold me diff shafts since I have and open front diff not quardra-drive.Or does it even make a difference.I compared them together and they looked excatly the same in length and all.These were brand spanking new and got a smoking deal on them.

rstrucks
11-06-2008, 11:54 PM
If you can't find it in a reasonable amount of time try to find a shop that has a Chassis-ear. It is a set of headphones with four or five receivers/channels so you can put individual mics at different spots on the chassis, drive around and listen, and at least get the area that the noise is coming from figured out. It could be anything between the t-case and the hub and it can be a PITA locating noises like that.

ArloGuthroJeep
11-07-2008, 12:43 AM
You can try swapping the hubs from side to side and see if the noise moves. If it movies, blame the hub. If it doesn't, it either means both hubs are bad, or it isn't the hubs.

Does it change with acceleration at all or is it a constant noise regardless of acceleration/constant speed/deceleration? If it changes with acceleration/deceleration, I suspect pinion bearings. If it is constant it could be wheel bearings or carrier bearings.

-Ryan

rrubio
11-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Good call Ryan.It does change on acceleration.The more I give the louder it gets.Once I let of the gas the howling subsides.

ArloGuthroJeep
11-07-2008, 01:59 PM
I vote pinion bearing then...

rrubio
11-07-2008, 02:03 PM
I vote pinion bearing then...

Even though it only happens when im in 4-fulltime?In 2wd the howling is not there.

rrubio
11-07-2008, 03:16 PM
If it turns out to be the pinion bearing I might as well re-gear,finally.

ArloGuthroJeep
11-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Yep...if it gets really bad you'll be able to grab the pinion yoke and move it around (wiggle it).

nierace
11-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Regear = bigger tires !

You can finally get rid of those shitty tires :D

rrubio
11-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Regear = bigger tires !

Thats what Kims says,she has been asking when am I getting 33's.I told her once I get a rear axle and get gears.

nierace
11-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Just skip the 33's and go right to the 35's :D

rrubio
11-07-2008, 06:38 PM

So far I have been very lucky that I have not had to cut any of my fenders at all.35's with a 6" lift will require trimming to my fenders.

WJJEEPIN
11-07-2008, 06:42 PM

X2

Your going to go to 33 for a year or so and want 35's. So save yourself some greif and just make the jump right now. That is what i've decided, I wanted to do 33's but if I'm going to have to regear anyways why make two steps when 1 is cheaper and easier....

rrubio
11-07-2008, 06:45 PM
X2

Your going to go to 33 for a year or so and want 35's. So save yourself some greif and just make the jump right now. That is what i've decided, I wanted to do 33's but if I'm going to have to regear anyways why make two steps when 1 is cheaper and easier....

Trust me I know that bug.I told myself many years ago that a BB would be more than enough for my needs.But pushing 35's on a 4.0 that is my DD is just too much.

nierace
11-07-2008, 08:55 PM
I hardly trimmed anything, just get longer bump stops. You will also be able to run longer travel shocks too...

You'll prob need front LA's though to get away with them and minimal fender trimming however.

35's aren't gonna help your gas mileage very much though...but if you cared about that I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have lifted your jeep :D