PDA

View Full Version : Winch Bumper Build

Z
10-27-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm still thinking about designing a winch bumper for my WK. I don't want to cut the grill, so I have two choices for winch placement:
1. Cut front crossmember and embed the winch within the general confines of the stock bumper dimensions.
2. Traditional mount - on top of the bumper in front of the grill.

If I choose option 1 the bumper depth remains roughly the same as stock but the HEIGHT of the bumper increases by 3-4 inches downward (in essence I'd be lowering the front of the bumper 3-4 inches).

If I choose option 2 the overall height of the bumper decreases but depth will increase by 4-7 inches.

Option 1 will look better and allow me to have a hidden winch which appeals to me.

Does anyone want to venture a guess as to which would be more advantageous for rock crawling?

mike007
10-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Measure and find out how each option will interfere with approach angle, I like the looks of option 1 especially on a W, and it wont interfere with air, but option 2 gives you better access to the winch for cleaning, maint., etc. Let us know Id like to see a build thread on an embedded W winch.

Cue-Ball
10-27-2008, 02:44 PM
I vote for option #1 as I think it will look better and seeing your Grand in Moab it is all about the looks.

I also think it will have less of an effect on approach angle than a bumper sticking out alot farther, but not really sure without measuring.

ArloGuthroJeep
10-27-2008, 03:00 PM
Option #1 is what I am planning on doing with my Jeep:) You should do the same.

Z
10-27-2008, 03:36 PM
Okay, assuming I go for option 1 - I'm going to have to cut the front couple inches of the subframe off (now THAT's kinda scary to do on a 2008 WK!) To make the bumper mounts - would I drill holes in the side of the subframe, stick tubing inside the subframe and weld around the drilled holes which are now filled with tubing? Of course, I'd also weld where the tubing sticks out of the cut subframe.

The bumper/winch mount(s) would then be welded to the tubing.

AprilzWarrior
10-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Okay, assuming I go for option 1 - I'm going to have to cut the front couple inches of the subframe off (now THAT's kinda scary to do on a 2008 WK!) To make the bumper mounts - would I drill holes in the side of the subframe, stick tubing inside the subframe and weld around the drilled holes which are now filled with tubing? Of course, I'd also weld where the tubing sticks out of the cut subframe.

Build it so you could remove it though... if you had to. Bolts rather than welding it down.

I say option 1, sounds like how I built mine.

SirFuego
10-27-2008, 04:19 PM

Sounds similar to what my buddy did to my ZJ. The winch plate, lower rad support, rad skid plate, internal frame sleeves and plate around the uni-frame rails are all a single piece that bolts in. It's a bitch to remove (and put in) because it's such a snug fit, but it does come off.

ZigsRig
10-27-2008, 10:34 PM
I wish someone could reproduce AEV's setup...

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/feature/2005grandcherokee/aev/wk1.jpg

http://www.wkjeeps.com/mojave/2005_wk_mojave_004.jpg

Z
10-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Hey Zig -

Thanks for that first pic, I hadn't seen it before. It kinda validates what I'm planning.

canadian_driver
10-28-2008, 07:27 PM
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/feature/2005grandcherokee/aev/images/wk1.jpg

bigger in case it helps ya

Z
10-28-2008, 07:36 PM
The bigger shot is great - thanks!