PDA

View Full Version : Buying a 5.9 Grand. What to look for?

Tyson
10-15-2008, 10:46 AM
I've come accross a 98 5.9 Grand Limited for about $4k up here in AK. It's got over 200k on the ticker but "runs great" says the owner.

I've owned two 95 Grands in the past. One with the 4.0 and one with the 5.2.

This Jeep will be a DD for the next 3 years with mild wheelin' and then be built when I move back to the lower 48. (military, I move in 3 years).

What should I look at in this rig? What are problem areas to watch for? Is 200k too much for a 5.9? I know most 4.0's are still running strong at 200k.

Thanks.
Ty

ATL ZJ
10-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Double check that all eight cylinders are there... :flipoff2:

Look at the dipstick, crawl under it and check for leaks, check the serpentine belt for wear, feel the hoses for firmness. Pop the caps off the overflow coolant bottle and the master cylinder. Look at the fluid to see if it's clean or if it's black and nasty. Pull the tranny dipstick and smell it. Any Chrysler tranny is a likely problem spot IMO. Look at the date on the battery. Rev the motor by hand to see if the motor mounts could be shot. Let it run until it gets to operating temperature and make sure it isn't running hot. These should be obvious things to look for when buying any car.

The only tests that would really tell you something involve tools. If you can get an hour to look over it, pull out a voltmeter and measure for voltage drop to check for corroded cables. A compression test would also give you a ton of info. Plus these tests give you a lot of negotiating leverage.

Tyson
10-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the responce. I planned on looking at all the above and I'm going to check compression when I test drive it. The Jeep is about 45min from my house where I have all my tools. It'll be tough gettin them to let me have it for 3hrs but if they want to sell it, they will.

I have a compression tester guage, Multi meter, and many other tools in my garage.

I'm specifically looking for any "Gremlins" that are common to the 5.9 or the ZJ model in general. I've been through the XJ's in and out and I've rebuilt a few 4.0's and well as done the 231 swap on a ZJ so I have a good feel for them. Y'all are the ZJ experts so I thought I'd shout out for some advice.

Thanks again.
Peace.

2jeepsforus
10-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Check that the heated seats work, if that is a major concern for you. Check Pinion seals and DOUBLE check the tranny. When you test drive you could test the VC in the 249, if you intend to keep that in there. (slow figure 8's at full lock just idling, if you need to apply throttle to it then it probably on its way out)

The AL44 rear axle might have some serious bearing noise if it has never been rebuilt. That is one major weak point in the axle, that it retains alot of heat and likes to cook bearings if the gear oil isn't kept up to snuff with replacing it and so on. I would also check that the Limited slip is working properly, as some people on here have stated that theirs are junk when they get them.

200k depends on the maintenance of the vehicle. The magnum 360 and 318's are tough solid motors, but at that mileage I would think that it might start to have some issues with sensors, but again it may not. If the thing was driven like a turd it is probably all gunked up. Mine sure was at 89K when I bought it.

ATL already said to check everything major, but before you start it unscrew the oil fill plug and stick your finger inside the valve cover, check to see if the oil is black, chunky, etc, or if it is in decent shape and looks to be taken care of.

Dave