PDA

View Full Version : plazma cuter

speeddemon250
09-29-2008, 12:12 AM
Me and dad are eventually going to get one, but I dont know much about them other than they are sweet. Is buying an off brand a good idea? Also I only have small portable air compressors, Is a high volume compressor a must with a plasma? thanks

canadian_driver
09-29-2008, 01:21 AM
i bought a div tech one, so far the machine is good, the customer service sucks. i prefer to use a bottle of inert gas over compressed air with mine, seems to keep some of the rust down and it lets me use the cutter with only one outlet makes it a bit more portable

dma251
09-29-2008, 08:53 AM
I bought a Hypertherm PowerMax 30 for about $1000, and it is a really nice unit. Small, very portable, it can run on 110 or 220V. It is cheap and easy to buy tips for it too.

I wouldn't waste the money on a cheap import model. It wouldn't probably last very long.

Miller and Hobart make a nice unit also (I think it is pretty much the same thing) that has the compresser built in and I think it is fairly cheap too. That would be the way to go if you want a good unit that is low cost and has the compressor all in one unit.

ATL ZJ
09-29-2008, 09:07 AM
I have been borrowing a Parker Cut 40 dual voltage machine for the past month. The thing killed tips and electrodes like nobody's business. A couple weeks ago, it cut off while in use. I thought I hit the duty cycle but it hasn't turned on since then. The ESAB machine and high end Blue Point plasma I've used were far superior. Although supposedly the Parker machines work well for many people.

CurtP
09-29-2008, 11:03 AM
I was just reading some of the reviews of the Parker MP 40 over on Weld Talk because I have a buddy looking for a cheap unit. It doesn't sound like they're impressed (poor build quality, shitty cuts, not being able to sever at the rated thickness, very bad customer service, hose ends blowing off, etc). I'm trying to find him a used/refurbished Miller 375 Spectrum or Lincoln Pro-Cut 25 instead.

OverkillZJ
09-29-2008, 11:14 AM
I've been borrowing a Thermal Dynamics - Cutmaster 51... it kicks ass! Not in most peoples price range there, but this thing is unstopable.

CrawlerReady
09-29-2008, 11:16 AM
I'm using a Thermal Dynamics.....can't remember the model number, but it was definitely worth the money. From what I've heard and read, Thermal Dynamics is supposed to be the shit when it comes to plasma cutters....kinda like Miller and welders.

Edit: I believe it is the Cutmaster 51 actually (thanks OverkillZJ ;))

Skyline
09-29-2008, 12:19 PM
I bought an ESAB machine off eBay. It was brand new but a two year old model. There are a bunch of these still on eBay. Works great, and will cut close to 1" steel completely clean, and sever a bit more. I need to keep it under about 1/2' steel to work off the dryer outlet I am using. For some reason, a number of machines I have seen do not have any adjustment for amperage...a pretty critical feature in my book.

Generally, only the lower powered machines have built in compressors, but probably enough to do 1/4" steel. While I don't think you need a huge compressor, all plasma cutters do have set CFM requirements...so make sure your compressor meets the needs of the machine.

speeddemon250
09-29-2008, 12:28 PM
hypothermal Powermax 45 @ $1,570 a good deal?, good brand? Might buy it today.

Skyline
09-29-2008, 04:30 PM
hypothermal Powermax 45 @ $1,570 a good deal?, good brand? Might buy it today.

You do mean Hypotherm, I believe. And yes, it's a very good brand. That would be an excellent machine for Jeep fabrication. It can cut anything you would be up against. Do keep in mind that the specs of that machine dictate 6 cfm of air...you might need to get a bottle of nitrogen to run it if your compressor can't keep up.

But you can get better deals on eBay....like the ESAB PCM-875 I paid $1075 for, (brand new including shipping,) off eBay a few months ago. My Esab is slightly more powerful than the Hypotherm 45 (the PCM-875 is 50A) and that's a pretty good difference in price. Actually, right now on eBay, some guy is selling a one year old used PCM-875....the bid is now at $350. With the ESAB machines you do need to be sure you are getting one that will work on single phase...there is a 3 phase only version of the same machine.

I've also had even better luck buying big ticket tools on Craitg's list.

Tommy
10-11-2008, 07:07 PM
I was just reading some of the reviews of the Parker MP 40 over on Weld Talk because I have a buddy looking for a cheap unit. It doesn't sound like they're impressed (poor build quality, shitty cuts, not being able to sever at the rated thickness, very bad customer service, hose ends blowing off, etc). I'm trying to find him a used/refurbished Miller 375 Spectrum or Lincoln Pro-Cut 25 instead.

My Parker works great... Cuts everything I need and was cheap.

AprilzWarrior
10-12-2008, 12:29 AM
I'm using a Thermal Dynamics.....can't remember the model number, but it was definitely worth the money. From what I've heard and read, Thermal Dynamics is supposed to be the shit when it comes to plasma cutters....kinda like Miller and welders.

Edit: I believe it is the Cutmaster 51 actually (thanks OverkillZJ ;))

Thermal Dynamics produces Millers Plasma Cutters.

TD is less expensive than the Miller. No Brainer.