PDA

View Full Version : What tires are you PSD / Diesel guys running?

paulkeith
09-24-2008, 04:27 PM
I have had a set of Mastercraft Courser AT's in the 285/75 variety on my PSD, but they've fagged out after about 18 months and maybe 20k miles with steady 8k rotations. They also chunked pretty bad, considering this thing saw 99.5% asphalt in that time.

So what are you guys running? Me and trojanman were talking about it last night, and we kind of settled on Michelin LTXs... seems like the best bang for the buck as far as ride, mileage, and wet/dry traction is concerned. Of course that unreasonable side of me wants to get some 285/75 KM2s....

So...opinions?

Paul

CrawlerReady
09-24-2008, 04:32 PM
I've always "heard" (and it's what my brother runs on his) that the Toyo MT's are pretty much the shit when it comes to a truck tire. My brother has put on ~40k miles on them and still has another 10-15k left...

Pearce
09-24-2008, 04:53 PM
Not a PSD, but my heavy ass Dodge came with Michelins that lasted 60,000 and could have gone more. Think they were E Rated. The only problem was the tire compound is too hard. They were slippery tires. As Crawler said the Toyo AT's and MT's are pretty much the shit on diesels. Also the Nitto, same tire with the tread reversed. A lot of people run BFG AT's but some have gotten DW with them. I think I'll get 40,000 out of the Toyo AT's I have now and they are a much better gripping tire. The bad thing is they say MADE IN CHINA. I know some guys have them that say MADE IN USA but around my area they are not.

paulkeith
09-24-2008, 05:00 PM
fawking sticker shock with the Toyo MT's...yikes.

Pearce, where'd you pick your tires up in ATL? So were the michelins hard enough to get a little hairy driving around? diesel trucks with an empty bed are squirrely enough as it is, let alone in the wet....

BigDaveZJ
09-24-2008, 05:09 PM
285/75R16 BFG AT KO E rated here. Been happy with 'em so far. Probably 15 to 20k on em so far, I'd say 75% tread left. They do a good job in the snow too, but that's not much of an issue for you southerners. The truck does see the occasional dirt road and camping trips too, so I wanted a bit more than your basic M/S tire.

paulkeith
09-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Does load rating play a role in mileage at all? I'm trying to think why I got so few miles out of these coursers when my buddy with a set on his zj got like 35k, but I realized they're both the D rated tire, one carrying 4700lbs around and one carrying 7200lbs around...

but really load rating should only affect sidewall plies and stiffness right? not really tread compound or softness.

I'm just pissed I'm re-shoeing the fat girl after 18 months.

Zombie
09-24-2008, 05:49 PM
33x12.5x16.5 Pro Crap ATs on the Cummins. Had the same size in AT KOs, they made it almost 50K. When the pro craps go I'll switch to a different wheel when I buy new tires, to go to a load range E. I've never had trouble with the Ds, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Pearce
09-24-2008, 07:40 PM
fawking sticker shock with the Toyo MT's...yikes.

Pearce, where'd you pick your tires up in ATL? So were the michelins hard enough to get a little hairy driving around? diesel trucks with an empty bed are squirrely enough as it is, let alone in the wet....

I got them at Discount Tire. In my experience Discount has had the best knowledge and service on truck tires. I currently am using a store that has not been great but the many others had been much better. I would also look at Kauffman. Both had similar prices and compete against each other. If you don't like the Toyo price look up the Nitto. They are both made by Toyo. I just refuse to buy a tire again that says made in china. If it was made in Japan I wouldn't care so much.

The Michelins E rated would not stop as well or would slide when I had to stop fast. The Toyo's bite more and the ABS doesn't kick on. And they rode rough. Other than that they were not to bad. But I want to be able to stop a 7000 lbs truck when I need to.

The E rated tires are a stiffer tire. They are a hard ride. D rated are smoother. Now, take an E rated tire in one size and a D rated tire in the next size up and you have the same load rating. I started with an E and went to a bigger sized D and both are over 3000 lbs rating.

Here is a Michelin LTX A/T2 example:
265/70/17E is 3195 lbs at 80 psi
285/70/17D is 3195 lbs at 65 psi

cLAYH
09-24-2008, 08:14 PM
I'm running the Firestone Transforce ATs (used to be Steeltex)on my '01 Dodge dually. Haul a camper and the jeep and do lots of gravel. They've been holding up quite well.

I work at an airport and we do regular "friction" testing of the runway. Truck drives down runway with the ABS disabled and then HAMMERS the brakes. An onboard decelerometer records how quickly the truck stops.

The only tire that we have found that stands up to that abuse was the Transforce HTs.

OverkillZJ
09-24-2008, 08:26 PM
I've been running BFG Commercial AT's from Sams Club, class E and dirt cheap with a 60,000 mile warranty, but will only work on a rig that only tows on the street. They do OK on slick / gravel / even slight mud, but it's a very "street" pattern.

nate
09-25-2008, 02:22 AM
BFG M/Ts on my Dodge. Have 40k on them and they are about 40%. Not bad for having a Detroit in the rear and several burnouts, some sled pulling and racing.

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r316/USMC_YMMOT/2008-09-12%20Club%20Challenge/?action=view&current=DSCF0016.flv

Were around $300 ea 3 years ago.

ZJ TINS
09-25-2008, 08:51 AM
I have XTX tires, available from independent tire dealers, Made in USA. Love them in snow, rain, quiet on the highway, wearing very well. It looks like they have changed the tread slightly. Definitely comparable to LTXs but much lower price.
Other choice is Cooper ATR's (made in USA also), several people really like them also, again comparable to the LTXs but less expensive.
Alot of guys locally are running these on their big rigs, tow vehicles etc.

TrojanMan
09-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Michelin LTX. By far best mileage you'll get out of any tire. As I told you before, I get tons of customers getting 80k+ miles, ive seen a few tahoes/suburbans getting 100k miles. Best riding tire. Unlike an AT or MT they actually have water channels so even though the compound is harder (that's where you get your mileage from) water has a place to escape. I hydroplane not incredibly often but more than i'd like to with my BFG AT's. I'd go with a 285 D range. Will give a little more than the E's and still should carry all the weight you need.

And about Discount tire, i'm sure it depends location to location. As a company they are all the same - you just happen to have found good personnel at that particular Discount Tire. You'll also run across a lot of people who don't know shit about individual tires but know enough about tires in general to sway you in one direction or another while sounding intelligent. That's the name of the game. I hate working in tire retail:rant:.

Anyway, i've never heard any complaints about the LTX M/S. You'll also get a little better fuel economy with an LTX versus any other tire, especially versus an AT or more agressive tread.

nate
09-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Larger tires usually = more mileage out of them... course less mpg I'd imagine.

I've had 35s on my truck since I bought it, probably will run a 37" when I need tires next.

paulkeith
09-25-2008, 11:58 PM
soo...

I've settled on size at least, 285/75. Tires I've narrowed it to that I think will fall within ~200/set of each other, with the Toyo AT probably being the cheapest, KM2 being the most..:

D rateds:

Toyo AT

E Rateds:

BFG AT KO, BFG MT KM2, Mich LTX M/S

So where are these tires made? Toyos are a China product? Is it a total douche move to buy a set from the 4WheelParts in marietta?

TrojanMan
09-26-2008, 12:28 AM
Not necessarily on the MPG.. with the exception of putting on like 42" tires, a slightly larger tire lowers your effective gear ratio which in theory should give you better fuel economy. I noticed better economy when I went from 31" to 33" in my ZJ, but I digress...

Unless i'm mistaken, toyo tires are made in Japan. Michelin / BFGoodrich / Uniroyal are made in Laurens, SC.

Pearce
09-26-2008, 07:41 AM
Unless i'm mistaken, toyo tires are made in Japan. Michelin / BFGoodrich / Uniroyal are made in Laurens, SC.

You are mistaken, my toyos say made in china.

Not all toyos are a china product. You'll have to check them out first. Some are made here in GA. But not the AT's.
As for buying them at 4WP, I'm not sure. Never bought street tires from them. As long as you can get in and out for a rotation and balance like you could at a typical tire store, why not.

CurtP
09-26-2008, 09:56 AM

You have to check the sidewall of the tires you're buying. Almost all tire manufacturers have moved at least some of their production to offshore 3rd party companies. Walk around tire displays and read the sidewalls - it's depressing :(

paulkeith
09-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Not necessarily on the MPG.. with the exception of putting on like 42" tires, a slightly larger tire lowers your effective gear ratio which in theory should give you better fuel economy. I noticed better economy when I went from 31" to 33" in my ZJ, but I digress...

Provided you don't take the engine out of its powerband with the RPM change for a given cruise speed...

I'm going to hit up 4wp in marietta and see what they can do for me on the BFGs and Toyos, and see if they've got some 285/75s in the back. I'll report back on what I find as far as manufacturing location. I'll try some standard tire shops too, see what kind of quotes I can get.

thanks for the help fellas.

TrojanMan
09-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Some michelins are made in france but I think that's more just the pilot line.

Stroked X
09-28-2008, 03:11 PM
right now im running some big Mickey Thompson MTZ'z 38x15.5x20 i have run the BF Goodrich AT's they worked out good for me.

JordanA
10-01-2008, 01:49 AM
My 32's are my street tires and are Bridgestone Dueller APT III's. They are my second set and I put 74,481 miles on my last set according to the purchase paperwork. I currently have around 10K on my new 32's and they're showing little to no signs of wear (they still have the little nipple things on them... well on the sidewalls at least).

My 35's won't last nearly as long as my street tires, and they see maybe 1K street miles a year. I plan on getting another set of APT III's in 285/75r16's for my next set of street tires.

paulkeith
10-01-2008, 06:16 PM
word...thanks.

I'll be honest though, It had bridgestones on it when i bought it as did my CJ, and those tires blew major sack. Hard, loud, shitty traction in all conditions. BUT...those were the Dueler AT's

JordanA
10-01-2008, 06:49 PM
I've heard the same before. Michelins are great too (had those when the Jeep was stock... LTX M/S I believe) but they seemed really soft.

Goosed76
10-02-2008, 12:40 AM
The standard Dueler A/T, or the Dueler A/T Revo's? The Revo's are a pretty decent tire... save some time, research on TireRack.com...

spykosshow
10-27-2008, 02:23 PM
The tow rig is in need of some new tires. It currently has 315/70-17's on it, and they rub when I turn close to full lock. I'd like to step down in size. I'm having trouble finding anything above 265/70's in the load range E. Those michelin's sound good, and I've been looking into a set of them. The Michelin LTX A/T2 has a weight per tire of "Maximum Load 3195lbs. @65 psi" that's in a 285/70-17. The next size down is a Load range E but it's a 265/70-17.

Would The 285/70-17's Range D suffice for my tow rig? I won't be towing more than my ZJ on a bumperpull, possibly a goose neck starting next year.

Pearce
10-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Yes they will be fine. Same weight rating:

Michelin LTX A/T2:
265/70/17E is 3195 lbs at 80 psi
285/70/17D is 3195 lbs at 65 psi

TrojanMan
10-27-2008, 05:45 PM
When you step up in size you get a higher weight rating. A 265 E will generally be the same as a 285 D.

It will also be a better ride because you have a larger sidewall and you are running a lower tire pressure.

paulkeith
10-27-2008, 10:50 PM
yeah man, just make sure the weight ratings have what you want.

I'm leaning towards some KM2s right now. I'd pull the trigger if i could sell my friggin CJ.

paulkeith
11-03-2008, 01:36 PM
so, pretty much in keeping with the above post,

sold the CJ friday, just ordered KM2s. Will have em mounted up saturday morning.

:rock:

spykosshow
11-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Ok, I can get the Mich LTX AT2's for about 30 bucks more than the Pirelli Scorpion ATR's. Pirelli put's a 60k tread warranty on it, and mich doesn't.

I'm looking at 285/70/17's. D's for the mich's and D1's for the pirelli's. Pirelli's have a higher speed rating as well.

paulkeith
11-05-2008, 03:58 PM
NTB offered me a 60k warranty on the LTX M/S. Something to consider....

BLACK&TAN
11-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Im running procomp ATs on my 06 super duty and have had good luck so far even with high speed heavy trailering

spykosshow
11-05-2008, 11:15 PM
NTB offered me a 60k warranty on the LTX M/S. Something to consider....

Yeah, that's on the At2's as well, but not on the 285/70-17's and they don't make the MS is that size.

TrojanMan
11-06-2008, 12:09 AM
Michelin. Dont buy seperreli, ever, for any reason.

They probably don't offer that size because it is most commonly used as a dedicated commercial/towing tire. It is pretty common to see that. They don't offer a mileage warranty on the LTX M/S in certain sizes either. I do think that if you had any issues, however, you could call michelin and they'd take care of you. I can't say the same about pirelli.