PDA

View Full Version : fuel cell question

slim616
09-07-2008, 12:12 PM
okay picked up a fuel cell and was wondering what would be the better way to hook it up. First option being an external fuel pump which would mean that my fuel gauge would not work anymore. Or go with this option
http://kore4x4customs.com/asccustompages/ProductImages/QlMLK-qoYFM-xnlkv-fuel-cell-rings-jpg.jpg
http://kore4x4customs.com/asccustompages/products.asp?fav=&fpage=1&categoryID=15&productID=4&cartID=469053335
This option would alow me to run my stock set up keeping all the gauges and computer working. Only thing is I would have to cut up a brand new fuel cell to install these rings.

ATL ZJ
09-07-2008, 12:36 PM
I run an RCI cell with an external pump. I haven't wired mine up yet, but the rci cells do come with a sender, which is reverse of the jeep one, meaning your gauge will read empty after filling up and gradually move toward full as you burn fuel.

Cody
09-08-2008, 12:57 PM
I ran an aluminum cell and a poly cell, both with external (e2000) fuel pumps. It kind of sucked not having a gauge, but I got used to it and I never was on the trail long enough to go through 20 gallons. I just kept it full and didn't worry about it.

I had to switch from the aluminum cell to the poly because the aluminum kept cracking and after having it fixed once and then watchin a friend with a similar cell have it crack/split at the feet on an obstacle (dumping all his fuel), I decided I was done with that route.

I know the nicer aluminum cells don't have this problem as much, but I didn't have the budget to have triangle or CE build me one.

Kirsch98ZJ
09-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Go with the ring. It makes life easier in the long run

OverkillZJ
09-08-2008, 01:07 PM
I used a BTF ring, it's actually threaded so the pump screws onto the tank, but it requires welding to aluminum.

slim616
09-08-2008, 02:35 PM
went to check out the btf ring but it looks like they have taken it down from the site because they dont have anything listed under fuelcell stuff. Only thing that has me worried is that using the ring your using the original gas pump from the jeep that is almost 14 years old and non serviceable and cost $400 or so replace with a new one. were as going with the e2000 pump its brand new serviceable as in easily replaced and cost the same as ring. damn, i guess i'll have to think about this one.

with the fuel pumps are you guys running or going to be running fuel regulators on them.

Cody
09-08-2008, 03:20 PM
No fuel regulator. I ran a little clear filter before and one after the e2000. You have to make sure the pump is only a few inches from the outlet of the tank, as it pushes much much harder than it pulls.

From what I gethered when i was figuring this process out, the 318 regulates the amount of fuel at the motor (fuel rail?) and then sends the excess back via the return line. I never had any problems with the external pump, other than constant buzzing being super annoying.

slim616
09-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Hmmm, on mine 318 (95) I only have one fuel line. so does the computer regulate the pump? Kind of like when you first turn the key on without starting it and the pump comes on for only a few seconds, then shuts off. I'm guessing to prime the system.

OverkillZJ
09-08-2008, 03:35 PM
From what I gethered when i was figuring this process out, the 318 regulates the amount of fuel at the motor (fuel rail?) and then sends the excess back via the return line. I never had any problems with the external pump, other than constant buzzing being super annoying.
93-95 318's are regulated at the fuel rail, 96-98 318's and 360's are regulated at the PUMP, which is why there's no return line on late model ZJ's, and one reason I made the stock pump work.

I suppose you could swap in an early ZJ fuel rail to a late model ZJ if needed to regulate it

slim616
09-08-2008, 03:40 PM
93-95 318's are regulated at the fuel rail, 96-98 318's and 360's are regulated at the PUMP, which is why there's no return line on late model ZJ's, and one reason I made the stock pump work.

I suppose you could swap in an early ZJ fuel rail to a late model ZJ if needed to regulate it

I guess that does it, looks like i'm going with the ring, because I really don't want to get into swapping out fuel rails and stuff. Thanks for the input guys.

ATL ZJ
09-08-2008, 03:56 PM
I know you've made your decision, but if we're talking about it, might as well contribute some tech for the archives...

Ditto on everything Cody said about the external pump. Mine is so loud that I have to shut the motor off to hear people talking if they are more than 20 feet away. I run a medium size clear filter before the pump, and the pump is about 2 feet from the tank, which I'm sure puts quite a strain on it, but it works well. Besides the stock pumps being expensive, the e2000 pumps are something that just about any rural parts store is going to stock, which really comes in handy when your pump gives up the ghost a few hours into a wheeling trip.

Cody
09-08-2008, 04:20 PM

That would make sense. Mine was a 95, but I remember Corey Bauer mentioning something to that effect.

slim616
09-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Got the rings in today, you would think for $100 they would look a little better and the the bolt holes between the two rings would match perfectly. Anyway question is for you guys running these rings did you do anything special with the pump before or once it was in the tank? If it makes a differnce I'm running the rci 15 gallon tank. Also the the roll over vent fitting did you just leave it as it was or did you put a elbow fitting on to keep out the dirt and rain?

Cody
09-12-2008, 05:36 PM
I put a fitting on the end with a hose that extended up a few feet and tied pointing down to keep rain out of it.

CurtP
09-13-2008, 01:02 AM
Why don't you guys who run the external pumps use an aftermarket fuel level sender made for a fuel cell?

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=fuel+level+sending+unit&x=0&y=0&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=700+4294925228+4294923437+115

They also make fuel pump isolators to quiet them down. You can get the same thing from McMaster Carr as well.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=AEI%2D11601&N=700+115&autoview=sku

ATL ZJ
09-13-2008, 01:28 AM
Why don't you guys who run the external pumps use an aftermarket fuel level sender made for a fuel cell?

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=fuel+level+sending+unit&x=0&y=0&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=700+4294925228+4294923437+115

Because the cell already comes with one. As mentioned, I just need to wire it up. The isolators are a decent idea but that's a lot of trouble to see if they make any difference, especially given the limited space in my mounting location.

Cody
09-13-2008, 03:56 AM

They also make fuel pump isolators to quiet them down. You can get the same thing from McMaster Carr as well.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=AEI%2D11601&N=700+115&autoview=sku

because, according to that it cost money, and yields nothing in return to me in the realm of performance. I put fuel in before the trail, it runs. Pretty easy system to be honest.

also, FWIW, my pump was mounted with rubber bushings. The noise isn't from vibrating against the body, it's form the fuel pump sucking fuel and pushing it down the line. I can't be mad about it doing it's job.

Kraqa
09-13-2008, 03:33 PM
i run an aluminum cell.

it is held down like a batter hold down. no problems with crackign yet. and i've beet this thing.

i ran a filter before the pump because the aluminum cells come with shit in them. i eventually clogged the filter to where the motor wouldn't run anymore. so i pulled out the screen.

ALT are you shure the polarity of your wiring is correct? i had that problem when i wired my propane gauge. Just a thought. The physical gage on the tank would say full the autometer one woud say emplty. as the fuel woudl be consumed the gauges woudl changed. i swapped the wires and voila they both read the same.