PDA

View Full Version : death wobble

Brybarzj
08-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Alright i tried to search but cant find anything i have a 1996 zj 4.0 a 3 in rustys lift, KOR track bar converstion, rear JKS track bar, currie sterring, iv checked all the TRE's, hubs, ball joints there all good and just replace all of my lower control arm bushings and aligned it nothing i do will stop the wobble i get going about 60 and it goes crazy any ideas?

BigDaveZJ
08-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Tires balanced?

rayray
08-21-2008, 02:27 PM
it happend to me before and i had to put a double steering shock off a tj on my 96 zj

Brybarzj
08-21-2008, 03:16 PM
yeah i just balanced all of em, could it have something to do with the front track bar not adjed right?

idahos_zj
08-21-2008, 03:20 PM
i had the same problem not too long ago. went over everything!! wheels were balanced. fresh alignment. than one night just put the front tires in the back and the backs up front. never had a problem since. i have 4 inches of lift and a rustys offroad track bar with a KOR drop bracket. i would try that.

JordanA
08-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Yes, the front track bar being adjusted incorrectly could be your problem. I proper alignment is key, that's for sure. I don't know about your Rusty's lift, but that in itself could be your problem.

Seriously though, your axle could be shifted in any number of directions. Do you have adjustable control arms?

Brybarzj
08-21-2008, 03:25 PM
nope no adj arms, i just went out side and looked at the axle it looks like its right in the middle, all of this death wobble stuff just stated i have had the lift for 2 years now

CANADIAN ZJ!
08-21-2008, 04:46 PM
trac bar bracket is tight? (4 bolts @ the frame end?) mine used to come loose 3 times a year until I welded it up solid. Caused some gnarly DW

also check the axle side bracket for cracks etc. I managed to rip it right off

utah_ZJ
08-21-2008, 05:12 PM
my issues were bad ball joints in the litttle d30, I replaced those and got a waggy stearing box and I have been solid since even without a steeing stabilizer

you may want to jack your front wheels up to see if you can feel any play by wiggling your tires by hand in your ball joints

BigDaveZJ
08-21-2008, 05:15 PM
it happend to me before and i had to put a double steering shock off a tj on my 96 zj

You didn't solve your DW problem then, you simply masked it. I don't even have a steering stabilizer on mine and I have no issues.

Brybarzj
08-21-2008, 09:56 PM
the ball joints are fine and the trac bolts all 4 are tight no cracks. Could it be the streeing box? It is leaking alittle fluid...and i dont know if this would matter or not but could the caster be to high i know spc is +7(thats where its at now) mine seemed to do a little better down near 6 thanks for all the help guys

utah_ZJ
08-21-2008, 10:18 PM
your steering box leaking I dont think would matter but any play in your box might be the source, check how much play you have when you turn the steering wheel back and forth with the engine off.

if you do have some slop then try adjusting the bolt on top of the box.

Brybarzj
08-21-2008, 10:34 PM
ill try that at work tomorrow thanks

bshows73
08-22-2008, 10:50 AM
How long have you had our TBC and did you buy the super hard durometer bushings? Check for play in the trac bar bushing. Also do you have after market control arms or stocks? Check this Death wobble check list out http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/techarticles/deathwobble.html.
Thanks,
Bryant

Brybarzj
08-25-2008, 08:08 PM
i have had the TBC for about a year i would say and no i did not get that other bushing, and stock control arms

Fish1200
08-31-2008, 11:02 PM
i got the super hard and still get dw, i think its control arm bushings

pilot5865
06-30-2009, 05:09 PM
I'd just like to throw this out there: death wobble may not be such a bad thing depending on your situation.....for instance, yesterday this 60 year-old lady at work gave me this sap story about how she had to give her car to her daughter for a month, so she asked me to carpool for almost a month! But am I going to be the jackass that tells a 60 year old to F-off? No. So what did I do? I picked her up this morning in my WJ (6.5" lift) and ligned it up with every pothole I could find until I got the DW. She about crapped her Depends each time I did it. She came up to me at lunch today and told me she found another ride. win-win for me!

just sayin'

DJJordache
07-01-2009, 09:33 AM
hahaha nice!