PDA

View Full Version : Exterior paint

BigClay
07-29-2008, 12:19 PM
I know there is a lot already out there, but I just wanted to get everyone's opinion in one place.

It is time to paint my ZJ, the paint on the hood and roof is flaking off and there are some rust spots on the top that I will have to take care of. I have thought of everything from using Durabak on the entire outside, to just rattle canning rustoleum on it. I am planning on doing it all myself, and I have never painted a car before, so what are some suggestions/tips?

dangerousdave
07-29-2008, 12:40 PM
spray paint will give you uneven paint.

I know there is a lot already out there, but I just wanted to get everyone's opinion in one place.

It is time to paint my ZJ, the paint on the hood and roof is flaking off and there are some rust spots on the top that I will have to take care of. I have thought of everything from using Durabak on the entire outside, to just rattle canning rustoleum on it. I am planning on doing it all myself, and I have never painted a car before, so what are some suggestions/tips?

dirty
07-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Flat black baby...murder that bitch out!

dangerousdave
07-30-2008, 09:26 AM
I just did it with my cladding and in some spots there was still streaks. I like the look of it though. What are you going to cover the paint with? A spray on lacquer? I guess if you dont coat the paint in a clear coat a scratch is easily fixed.

BigClay
07-30-2008, 09:30 AM
What are you going to cover the paint with? A spray on lacquer? I guess if you dont coat the paint in a clear coat a scratch is easily fixed.

I really don't know, that is one of the reasons I am asking because I am up for anything. If I don't coat the paint with anything, will it just start chipping and flaking off (like the original paint is doing now...)?

dangerousdave
07-30-2008, 11:09 AM
I really don't know, that is one of the reasons I am asking because I am up for anything. If I don't coat the paint with anything, will it just start chipping and flaking off (like the original paint is doing now...)?
And you will start to get rust through the paint..... I had that start with my sliders thats why i went with bedliner on them

BigClay
07-30-2008, 01:47 PM
So would it be a good idea to do bedliner on the entire jeep?

dirty
07-30-2008, 01:53 PM
So would it be a good idea to do bedliner on the entire jeep?

I actually knew a guy who had his entire XJ rhinolined professionally...opinions varied, but I loved it. Looked tough as hell in my opinion. Did probably add about 100lbs to the truck though. That shit would hardly dent, it was amazing.

BigClay
07-30-2008, 02:06 PM
I actually knew a guy who had his entire XJ rhinolined professionally...opinions varied, but I loved it. Looked tough as hell in my opinion. Did probably add about 100lbs to the truck though. That shit would hardly dent, it was amazing.

I have really been thinking about the Durabak, even ordered a paint chip; but I still don't know if that is what I want to do. Did the guy with the XJ have any over heating issues? I have heard the bedliner keeps the heat in the engine compartment, and that you may have to add vents to the hood.

dirty
07-30-2008, 02:20 PM
I have really been thinking about the Durabak, even ordered a paint chip; but I still don't know if that is what I want to do. Did the guy with the XJ have any over heating issues? I have heard the bedliner keeps the heat in the engine compartment, and that you may have to add vents to the hood.

Well, as I recall the damn thing did get real hot...inside and out. However, by the time you are ready to take a step like rhinolining an entire vehicle...hood vents don't seem like a big deal anymore, lol. He was already vented, in a major way at this point.

grnd93
07-30-2008, 08:01 PM
search for my recent thread "the paint job has begun" I recommend whatever you do you take it down to bare metal to make sure you get the proper adhesion for the new paint.