PDA

View Full Version : DIY Diff Protector??

Z
07-17-2008, 08:08 AM
Bent the lip on the rear diff cover, diff is now weeping fluid.

When I fix it (trim the cover to be a little smaller than the diff) I'd like to install a diff protector. But, being a WK, no one really makes a diff protector. (4WPW allowed me to place an order for a Superlift protector, but I heard from another WKer that he ordered the same thing and after a month 4WPW).

I have access to a plasma cutter & welder (and grinder of course). Has anyone made their own diff protector - do you have any tips?

BigDaveZJ
07-17-2008, 10:16 AM
We were planning on making one for Pam's 44A. That's all I really have to add.

Gravesdigger
07-17-2008, 10:54 AM
1. buy a gasket for the diff from the dealer
2. trace the gasket onto steel
3. cut it out with your plasma cutter
4. build your own diff cover out of 1/4" or better plate steel

Happy Wheelin'
dang I wish I had a plasma cutter

grandmaster
07-17-2008, 11:37 AM
That sounds like a good plan to me, just make sure you cut it a little big, because you can always grind it down.

I also wish i had a plasma cutter

tywilson88
07-17-2008, 12:21 PM
it is really hard to make one. i made just a rock cover for my 8.8, and after like 10 hours of work i finally got it. but it still doesn't sit flush. when you burn the pieces together, the ring likes to warp.

ArloGuthroJeep
07-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Yep, you'll want to have the mating surface machined flat ideally.

JohnBoulderCO
07-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Being an aluminum center section it will continue to grind away.

When I had my D44AL I tried grinding the steel diff cover, to keep it from catching the lip. It worked for a trip or two, but the aluminum would grind some more and catch the cover again. I tried a bolt on skid plate but mangled and twisted it so bad I had to take it off.

I would fab up a ¼” slider for the bottom of the housing, with tabs that extend up to the axle tubes to weld it. It could also as a bit of a truss if you do it right. Obviously leave enough room to remove the diff cover. I think that is what Scott did for his D44AL.

Z
07-17-2008, 01:20 PM

When I had my D44AL I tried grinding the steel diff cover, to keep it from catching the lip. It worked for a trip or two, but the aluminum would grind some more and catch the cover again. I tried a bolt on skid plate but mangled and twisted it so bad I had to take it off.

I would fab up a ¼” slider for the bottom of the housing, with tabs that extend up to the axle tubes to weld it. It could also as a bit of a truss if you do it right. Obviously leave enough room to remove the diff cover. I think that is what Scott did for his D44AL.

Not sure the Chry 8.25 has an aluminum center section or not. Need to test. Good info though, John.

BigDaveZJ
07-17-2008, 02:30 PM
If it's a Chry 8.25 shouldn't there be a good selection of aftermarket covers out there with the # of those in XJ's?

Z
07-17-2008, 02:39 PM
If it's a Chry 8.25 shouldn't there be a good selection of aftermarket covers out there with the # of those in XJ's?
XJs don't have QDII.

Interesting - i just called Superlift and they have the protector in stock. So either 4WPW is just lousy at logistics, or the other WKer just ran into a bad out-of-stock situation when he placed his order a while ago.

JohnBoulderCO
07-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Or...

Do they know the 8.25 is in a WK using QDII which makes the housing wider?

Most shops wanted to sell me a D44 diff cover for a D44AL.
I got tired of explaining the diff (no pun intended) between the two axles.

matts96zj
07-17-2008, 11:50 PM
get some 3/8 flat bar 3" wide, have a local fab shop roll it to the desired radius & weld it right to the cover itself.

as was stated before, the trace & cut out style that bolts on, sucks to fab!!!

Steve98
07-18-2008, 04:56 PM

Your idea sounds a lot like what the guys at mountian valley customs have for the 44A. I searched over on jeepforum and found a few pics of it, there is one of the axle on jackstands, but it is upside down. The "truss" part runs along the bottom of the axle. It never goes any lower that the bottom of the pumpkin, and tapers up as it goes toward the hub. It would protect the pinion, diff, and be support.

Is anyone here using one, or what do you guys think of it? Seems pretty nice for $150.

ROCK!
12-21-2008, 03:57 PM
go on http://www.nthdegreemobility.com and check out there diff guards. it wont be easy, but you may be able to build something similar. they go under the whole diff, and act as a skid. it would be awesome on the aluminium 44, no more grinding! heres a direct link https://secure.aev-conversions.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NTH24200AA&Category_Code=

CrawlerReady
12-21-2008, 04:37 PM
hmmm....hopefully he's already taken care of the leaking diff...been about 6 months now ;)

93ZeeJ
03-05-2009, 02:34 PM
dont know if anyone is still looking at this post but heres pics of my 44a on my ZJ

Mountain Valley Customs truss/skid
Blue Torch Fabworks Diff Cover ( first of its kind )

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn102/clninja/amsoildiff.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn102/clninja/101_0881.jpg

greengc4x4
03-05-2009, 03:03 PM
dont know if anyone is still looking at this post but heres pics of my 44a on my ZJ

Mountain Valley Customs truss/skid

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn102/clninja/amsoildiff.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn102/clninja/101_0881.jpg
that looks like it would catch on alot of rocks and stuff

Goosed76
03-05-2009, 03:19 PM
wouldn't this cure said concern? or you guys think these are a little weak and would just bend? Buddy has them on both front and rear axles of his Rubicon TJ
http://www.turbocity.com/product_info.php?cPath=17_33&products_id=130

MoonWorks
03-05-2009, 03:29 PM

MVC has made a diff cover for the 44a for a couple years now.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m308/DRBemis/Diff%20Cover%20-Truss/HPIM2586.jpg

It is a well made truss but it does hang up on everything possible.

jborushko
03-05-2009, 03:48 PM
of course it gets hung up! its an extra 3-4 inch wall hanging on the bottom of the axle... maybe if it was ramped up a little... idk

93ZeeJ
03-05-2009, 04:35 PM
btw the Blue Torch fab covers are nicer and half the price of the mountain valley customs diff covers

MoonWorks
03-05-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm not a vendor for either one so I wasn't saying one was better or cheaper than the other. Just correcting your statement that BTF was the only vendor for 44a covers.

The are both nice covers. The MVC is on a buddies rig. They used his rig a couple years ago to test side rock sliders, and the rear truss/cover for the 44a

93ZeeJ
03-05-2009, 06:40 PM
when i said first of its kind i meant that the cover that is on my axle is the very first one BTF made for the D44a...im the one who sent them a stock cover and asked them to start producing it

MoonWorks
03-05-2009, 07:47 PM
when i said first of its kind i meant that the cover that is on my axle is the very first one BTF made for the D44a...im the one who sent them a stock cover and asked them to start producing it

Ahh...We were on two different pages. lol

Its always cool having the first one of something a company puts out though. Especially when you see others running it and you know where it started!

getlost4x4
03-05-2009, 11:30 PM
i have a stock QD2 diff cover if you want to use it to copy the bolt pattern. just pay shipping. right now its just laying in my office. i used it to make the pattern for the ones i make.