PDA

View Full Version : Welding setup question

ZJ TINS
07-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Problem is I live in a residential area. If I get a welder, can I setup in the garage with a fan to exhuast the gasses or do I really need to be in the open? I figure in the garage I can block the weld arc light from everyones view with a tarp and use a fan to circulate air in and out of the garage. Also are sparks and flying debris hazardous in the garage or again can a or tarp something protect everything (including gas cans, oil, etc).

BigDaveZJ
07-16-2008, 02:21 PM
I weld in my garage with the door open all the time. When you're at a decent distance from the arc, the light isn't really all that bright.

Sparks and flying debris can obviously be a hazard in the garage, so you have to be smart about what you do and where you keep things. If there's going to be a LOT of sparks and such, I would put any flammable materials in a metal cabinet and keep the doors to the cabinet shut when throwing sparks.

ArloGuthroJeep
07-16-2008, 02:23 PM
I weld in the garage. Most people know not to look at me welding in my neighborhood - then again my garage is in a sort of alley so it isn't common for people to be walking by - just parking in their garages and going inside. No fan for me, just a welding mask, basic respirator, ear plugs, and protective clothing. A fan will help but I would still wear a respirator.

Sparks can be hazardous...ie: a heap of oil soaked rags = bad. Just be smart about it;) Put your flamables on a shelf and out of the path of the welder splatter.

chadjans
07-16-2008, 02:32 PM
I am seriously considering getting a local point based fume extractor to protect myself. You could get weld screens if you are worried about the neighbors.

ZJ TINS
07-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Tnx for the info. I gotta clean up garage anyway, I think I'll create a welding area with all the flammable stuff far away or protected. I have little kids around the neighborhood so I plan on some kind of screen. Jsut wasnt sure how bad the fumes get.

ArloGuthroJeep
07-16-2008, 05:02 PM
The cleaner the metal, the fewer fumes. Weld on rusted/painted material and it'll get bad.

nate
07-18-2008, 08:34 PM
What I would do is leave the garage door open about a foot or two and open the people door as well. People door was in the back of the garage, so it worked out good.

Having the garage door wide open is better, but most neighbors don't want to hear you welding and grinding all day. Leaving the door mostly closed cuts down on the noise.

Tommy
07-22-2008, 03:57 AM
In all reality is it much louder than a lawn mower?

I weld, grind. use the chop saw, and use my plasma cutter almost every weekend it seems. My thing is the damage that it has done to my garage floor. It can get really dirty if you don't cleanup after yourself.

My garage door is always wide open, and my nieghbors aren't out much. I am beat from the last 3 weekends. It seems to be a continous wrenching party and my garage fridge seems to be empty after every saturday.

nate
07-22-2008, 10:53 AM
The neighborhood I had issues with was a subdivision where middle class folks lived, but they tried to act like upper class.... and also seemed to have an issue with military folks for some reason.

They acted like me working on shit and having a couple older vehicles was bringing the property value down.

LoganZJ
06-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Tig welder (w/ sharp electrode) + Clean steel = No fumes, no noise, and no sparks.

dp96zj
06-14-2009, 09:05 PM
^:punish:

kfab
06-15-2009, 12:32 AM
I weld in the garage. Most people know not to look at me welding in my neighborhood - then again my garage is in a sort of alley so it isn't common for people to be walking by - just parking in their garages and going inside. No fan for me, just a welding mask, basic respirator, ear plugs, and protective clothing. A fan will help but I would still wear a respirator.

Sparks can be hazardous...ie: a heap of oil soaked rags = bad. Just be smart about it;) Put your flamables on a shelf and out of the path of the welder splatter.

respirator what a puss i weld every day all day and i never wear one never seen any one in the feild if it were neccassery osha would be all over a zillion peoples asses

zj95maxx
06-15-2009, 12:47 AM
respirator what a puss i weld every day all day and i never wear one never seen any one in the feild if it were neccassery osha would be all over a zillion peoples asses

Welding all day everyday? you would think you're fab work would be better then.:finga:

ArloGuthroJeep
06-15-2009, 11:07 AM

Well don't you have a big dick? Whoopity fucking do to you:punish:

ZJ TINS
06-15-2009, 02:08 PM
I have been welding with the garage door open, only problem is when i do weld through paint, been cleaning the paint off and what fumes are created dissipate well.
Usually i block any direct view of the weld arc with my body (back to opening) or something in the way around weld height (boxes, tarp etc). No complaints so far.