PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where I can get tube clamps?

Steveindajeep
07-09-2008, 03:49 PM
They look like tie rod clamps. Like this http://www.waltstractors.com/acatalog/UT0116-CLAMP.jpg

Im planning on putting another steering stabilizer on my WJ and the kits are $100+ and all they are 2 tube clamps with longer bolts and a stabilizer.

I cant see paying $40+ extra for a tube clamp?

Anyone know where I can find these clamps in varying sizes? My local auto parts stores ain't got em.

CurtP
07-10-2008, 08:21 AM
Probably from www.mcmaster.com

Steveindajeep
07-13-2008, 06:42 AM
thanks,
I sifted through their catalog and couldn't find them however. I see advanced adapters has them but looks to be only one size. I need one a little larger as it has to go on the JKS track bar.

Anyone else?

ZJ TINS
07-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Why not use those clamps that hold a u joint on? Kinda like a flat u bolt.

Nonstop
07-13-2008, 09:41 AM
I just welded some tabs where I needed them, also couldn't loacate the brackets, but I only made one phone call to the dealer, figured I'd get lucky and didn't.. But other than that, if you haave a junk yard by you they will likely havfe hundreds of them to choose from, that is the best choice if you can't find them new...

Steveindajeep
07-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Well I thought of a junkyard too. But see the problem is im wheelchair bound and although I pretty mobile crawiling under trucks all day trying to get the correct size clamp is going to be a pain in the arse for me.

There is a garage near me. Maybe I can coax them into getting them for me. Ive given them enough business over the years by referral so this should be a problem.

BTW I tried Grainger as well no luck.

bshows73
07-15-2008, 02:07 PM
That is why the Kits are 100+ the clamps are not cheap and are not easy to come by. Besides the fact that most companies provide the hardware to go with it and the R&D it takes to find what works. It kind of sucks when someone comes by and steals your hard work. Thats why musicians hate illegal downloads or software companies hate pirated software! At least if you are going to rip someones design off make it a little different or better not just a direct copy. End of Rant!
Thanks,
Bryant

Steveindajeep
07-15-2008, 02:37 PM
No offense buts its a nothing more then 2 freakin' tie-rod clamps? You arent the first one to add another stabilizer to a vehicle in this manner which is why other companies offer a similar set up. If it was yours, in every sense of the term, maybe you should have patented it? But you cant cause its not yours is it?

And to say that the clamps arent cheap is ridiculous. I have found them online for like $5. to $15. a piece in various sizes. A quick call to the tractor store should get me the parts I need. Thanks.

http://www.tractorpartsasap.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=tie+rod+clamp&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

bshows73
07-15-2008, 02:55 PM
First off to patent on any off road part is a waist of time all anyone has to do is change it 10% and it is no longer a problem. And no offense but you are wrong it is more than just "2 feakin tie-rod end clamps" We proved the right length hardware and proper sleeves and items to space it correctly and keep the SS from clunking. Do what you will I am not trying to stop you. Good luck trying to find the right clamps(We did a lot of research to find the ones that fit best) and they are not inexpensive. We do our best to keep cost down for our customers. Believe me when I say you won't find what you are looking for very cheap if you find it.
Bryant

No offense buts its a nothing more then 2 freakin tie-rod clamps? Youre arent the first one to add another stabilizer to a vehicle in this manner which is why other companies offer a similiar set up. If it was yours, in every sense of the term, maybe you should have patented it? But you cant cause its not your is it?

Hurricane 4x4
07-15-2008, 04:55 PM
No offense buts its a nothing more then 2 freakin' tie-rod clamps? You arent the first one to add another stabilizer to a vehicle in this manner which is why other companies offer a similar set up. If it was yours, in every sense of the term, maybe you should have patented it? But you cant cause its not yours is it?

And to say that the clamps arent cheap is ridiculous. I have found them online for like $5. to $15. a piece in various sizes. A quick call to the tractor store should get me the parts I need. Thanks.

http://www.tractorpartsasap.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=tie+rod+clamp&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

Nice find! I understand how kevin's can charge extra for folks that don't want the hassle... but it ain't rocket science. I've saved a ton of money by sourcing my own hardware. I bought all of the grade 8 hardware to mount my ARB and it was $15. ARB charges $45 for the hardware kit, not incl shipping.

ArloGuthroJeep
07-15-2008, 06:45 PM
No offense Bryant, but I agree with Steveindajeep & dell30rb. It isn't rocket science. What customers (and I bought it from you a couple years ago) are really buying is the convenience of not having to shop for the right parts. The cost of parts isn't high;) Arguing that you provide the correct spacers and what not isn't anything special other then a convenience (which people will and do pay for) but all you provide are the right size washers & nuts to use as spacers. Nothing 5 minutes of trial and error won't solve.

Nonstop
07-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Maybe I'll clarify, I wanted to use tabs and have a solid mount, I would have purchased the kit if I had the time, or the desire to break my trend of building everything I can on my WJ.. Also my mounting took some test fits and length adjustments, as well as a few thick aluminum spacers..it is actually easy to screw up your turning ability by not mounting it in the right spot. I do agree that there is something more to the kit than just two cheap clamps, it is not rocket science, but it did take me some fitting to get it right.. Big thing, not everyone can or wants to make their own kit, and not everyone is mechanically inclined enough to do it, so the kit is handy for those on JU or NAGCA..