PDA

View Full Version : changing out power leather seats for cloth seats

BigDaveZJ
07-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Are the wire harnesses the same? Meaning the one that comes out of the floor board into the seat. Looking at changing out Pam's seats from leather to cloth and just want to make sure we won't run into any major issues. She's got heated seats and the memory crap in there, just wanted to see if there was a difference in the harness plug.

canadian_driver
07-07-2008, 03:47 PM
whats wrong with her seats? if you want i can take a picture of the wiring harness i got from the cloth seats brackets i bought

BigDaveZJ
07-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Neither one of us really cares for the leather seats.

ajmorell
07-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Too bad you are in CO Dave, I would gladly trade you my cloth seats for Pam's leather seats. When I get home tonight I'll see if I can get a picture of the connection from a cloth seat for you

TrojanMan
07-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Yep, same connections, except the heated connector will hang out on the floorboard. I had no problems when I did the opposite swap.

If you lived closer i'd give you a set of perfect cloth seats fo free. I need them out of my garage

hkszx2
07-07-2008, 09:05 PM
yeah id go the the jy and get a nice seat of cloth ones for you but your too far , im looking to do the heated seat swap ...

bshows73
07-08-2008, 01:25 PM
I have these seats we are trying to get rid of make me an offer if you want them I will get you a good price on shipping. They came out of a jeep with low miles there are no rips or anything they are a little dusty from being in storage.
Bryant

Cody
07-08-2008, 01:38 PM
I have these seats we are trying to get rid of make me an offer if you want them I will get you a good price on shipping. They came out of a jeep with low miles there are no rips or anything they are a little dusty from being in storage.
Bryant

Hey......those were supposed to be mine and I forgot!

I'm calling kevin right now!

...but they look like manual seats. Are the rails the same for power and manual seats?

CurtP
07-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Yep, same connections, except the heated connector will hang out on the floorboard. I had no problems when I did the opposite swap.
I think that's only on the 93-95. On the 96+, the connections for the heat and CCD bus are all in the same connector. For the 96+, it's a plug-n-play. The connectors are the same, but the pins for certain options won't be there.

AFAIK, the seat frames are all the same, with maybe the exception of the 5.9 seats (I'm pretty sure they're the same - just the foam and covers being different). You could take the seat covers off of the cloth-covered seats and use them on the leather frames if you want to retain your memory seats. Heated seats are another story though.

CurtP
07-08-2008, 01:57 PM
...but they look like manual seats. Are the rails the same for power and manual seats?

Rails are different, but the mounting points are the same for all 96-98. I'm not sure about the earlier ZJs.

canadian_driver
07-08-2008, 02:25 PM

Rails are the same throughout all years, i have 93 seat sliderson my 98 which came with power seats

bshows73
07-08-2008, 06:58 PM
You can have them I just want them out of the way! LOL. The passneger one has the electric stuff on it but the driver side does not. It was something Kevin was messing with not sure why.
Bryant

BigDaveZJ
07-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Already got a set lined up, going to pick them up here in a few hours.

TrojanMan
07-08-2008, 10:01 PM
I think that's only on the 93-95. On the 96+, the connections for the heat and CCD bus are all in the same connector. For the 96+, it's a plug-n-play. The connectors are the same, but the pins for certain options won't be there.

AFAIK, the seat frames are all the same, with maybe the exception of the 5.9 seats (I'm pretty sure they're the same - just the foam and covers being different). You could take the seat covers off of the cloth-covered seats and use them on the leather frames if you want to retain your memory seats. Heated seats are another story though.

I have a 96 and put in 98 5.9 seats. The heated seat connector was seperate if I recall, maybe only on my side... the 98 might have been integral. It's been about a year and I didn't hook it up because it was about -20 degrees outside and I was tired.

CurtP
07-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Two wires on the '96 - one for the seat (power, heat, memory) and one for the seatbelt (that doesn't have to be connected).

'98 only has the seat connector - the seatbelt is integrated into the retractor.

I put 5.9 seats in my '96 as well and replaced the entire interior/dash wiring harness so I could make the memory and heat on the seats functional (and I converted the HVAC to ATC while I was at it). I don't have the FSM in front of me, but I'm 99.999% sure. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd go outside to check! I've had these seats apart more times than I care to remember :(

TrojanMan
07-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Two wires on the '96 - one for the seat (power, heat, memory) and one for the seatbelt (that doesn't have to be connected).

'98 only has the seat connector - the seatbelt is integrated into the retractor.

I put 5.9 seats in my '96 as well and replaced the entire interior/dash wiring harness so I could make the memory and heat on the seats functional (and I converted the HVAC to ATC while I was at it). I don't have the FSM in front of me, but I'm 99.999% sure. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd go outside to check! I've had these seats apart more times than I care to remember :(

Maybe I have a bastard jeep then, which wouldn't surprise me:D

CurtP
07-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Maybe I have a bastard jeep then, which wouldn't surprise me:D

Or maybe between all the beer and Ambien, I'm fucked up :smt023

I drove the 'Niner in to work today. I'll try to look under the seat later. I now have my doubts if I'm right or not - I've had these seats in and out and apart so many times I can about do it in my sleep (remove bolts, tip back, push red lock over, push clip in, pull wire...).

BigDaveZJ
07-11-2008, 01:41 AM
Alright, so the CL ad said they were 96-98, but big surprise they were 93-95 seats. Got 'em anyways, figured worst case scenario I'd put them in my ZJ since my driver's seat has seen better days.

We ended up getting it to work just fine though, took us a bit to figure out how, but Jeep ended up actually doing something right for once and they were perfectly consistent on the wiring for the seats before and after the generation break.

We were originally going to just wire up the 93-95 harness and run with that, using the 93-95 rails as well. Well apparently on the 93-95 ZJ's the seat belt mounts to the unibody and on Pam's 98 it mounted to the seat rails. So that posed a bit of an issue. I couldn't find a method that I was comfortable with to move the seat belt mount over to the 93-95 rails, and the positioning for all of the controls and everything became an issue too. The trim panels on the outsides of the seats were similar, but not the same. The 93-95 uses a lever actuated mechanical seat recline, where the 98 used the power recline, and that caused issues with making the trim piece fit. Well it turns out the wiring from the 93-95 seat controller matched up perfectly to the 98 harness for the controls we were going to retain (directionality of the seat, nothing more). The colors of the wires matched PERFECTLY. I was pretty surprised at that. So we cut the 93-95 controller off its harness, and put it in place of the 98 controller and used the earlier trim piece on the seat that allowed us access to the lever to recline the seat too.

Took us a little while longer than we planned so we didn't get the pass side done too, but I would "assume" the same method will work over there too.

CurtP
07-11-2008, 07:49 AM
Uh - so how many wires going to the seat on the '98? :D

BigDaveZJ
07-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Uh - so how many wires going to the seat on the '98? :D

There were at least 7 or 8 additional harnesses over the earlier seat. Two for the power recline, 3 went up into the back of the seat, assuming lumbar support crap there, the heated seats were in there somewhere too.

From the control on the side that controls seat position there were 10 wires on the 96-98 control, and 8 on the 93-95. Two of those were the power recline, just matched up the rest and voila it worked.

CurtP
07-11-2008, 02:42 PM
How many harnesses from the floor to the seat? That's what we were debating earlier in the thread. I say there's only one main one, and certain years had a second for the seatbelt.

The underside of my 5.9 seats are crazy. Wires, modules and relays are everywhere. I cleaned and lubed everything when I had mine apart - I found all sorts of crap stuck in the seat tracks and on the screws that make the seat go fore/aft.

BigDaveZJ
07-11-2008, 03:30 PM
There was only ONE harness from the floor into the seat. Pam's ZJ has all the same seat controls as the 5.9's to my knowledge, so there was just as much crap unders ours as you saw. At one point we took the control switch apart too to try and see how it worked and identify some of the wires. If anyone's having trouble with your seat control not doing what it's supposed to, it was actually pretty simple to rebuild the entire thing after I popped it open and all the little pieces fell out.

BigClay
07-31-2009, 03:38 PM
Gonna bump this up instead of starting a new one.

I want to go the opposite way of Dave and Pam, I want to go from a cloth manual seat to an electric leather seat. Is this going to be possible? From everyone's experience should I make sure and stick with one from a 93-95?

BigClay
08-03-2009, 12:18 PM
I talking with a guy about buying his 5.9 seats, so can anyone tell me what will be invloved to get them to work in my 93?

quadratokn
01-06-2010, 03:49 AM
I talking with a guy about buying his 5.9 seats, so can anyone tell me what will be invloved to get them to work in my 93?

how many wires does the 5.9 harness have?