PDA

View Full Version : CHEAP JEEP DD

Cue-Ball
07-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Well as most of you know I have been looking for a decent DD for a while now, the problem was that it had to fit into my very small budget.

Well thanks to my good friend AW for finding it for me, and for napajeep for hooking me up on the parts it needed, I am getting ready to start driving the CHEAP JEEP.

Now before anyone gives me any crap about it not being the best fuel economy vehicle, I know, but it is going to be alot better than the stroker in the ZJ, and the price was right.

So here it is:

89 XJ
Pretty much BONE STOCK other than aftermarket wheels and a GRant steering wheel.
169,xxx miles
HP30 w/ CAD
Iron 44
231 TC

So anyway it is down at AW's shop on the lift as it does need a few parts to get it road worthy, but I am picking those up from napajeep this week and perhaps the weekend of the 12/13th I will be down at the shop putting the parts in.

As I told Scott (napajeep) he is not allowed to sell me anything from the store that is NOT a STOCK REPLACEMENT part, this Jeep will NOT go off road, will not get anything other than the cheapest stock replacement parts.

This is simply to get me to and from the office, nothing more.

The bonuses are that it is really clean and in great shape for the age. Once we replace a few parts and get it on the road, buff out the hood and roof a little bit then it will be pretty much good as new.

I will get some more pix once we get it on the road in a week or two.

Dirk

TrojanMan
07-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Nice find. Should have bought a truck like mine though:driving:

grnd93
07-06-2008, 07:23 PM
this Jeep will NOT go off road, will not get anything other than the cheapest stock replacement parts.

This is simply to get me to and from the office, nothing more.

Yeah right! have you seen how much more aftermarket support there is out there for the XJ's? I know you'll give in and start playing around with it. I would!:cool:

Great looking XJ tho, Dirk!

dp96zj
07-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Can't go wrong with that! My brother's got an '89 XJ also with over 200k (stock) and still runs better than my ZJ.

jfowlzj95
07-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Nice find Dirk, looks really clean!

Sure ya don't wanna mod it any, especially since it has a real 44 instead of the turdyfive? ;) haha jk

Cue-Ball
07-06-2008, 08:29 PM
NO NO NO, trust me NOTHING is gettting done to the XJ.

The only NONSTOCK replacement for it might be some brighter headlights, but that is only because of where I live.

NOTHING else will be done to it, trust me I can't even finish the ZJ so I am not about to start on something else.

I need to keep it as a nice DD PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!

grnd93
07-06-2008, 08:56 PM
The only NONSTOCK replacement for it might be some brighter headlights, but that is only because of where I live.

And it begins....

Hell, I've still got my Mustang project going, my Jeep, and a boat that needs alot of work. Is there such a thing as too many projects?

napajeep
07-07-2008, 12:58 AM
And it begins....

Hell, I've still got my Mustang project going, my Jeep, and a boat that needs alot of work. Is there such a thing as too many projects?

NO, it won't be allowed! If he even THINKS about anything aftermarket, his wife gets a call. He MUST finish his Jeep before anything else!!

Matt
07-07-2008, 01:16 AM
Nice find Dirk.

midwestxj
07-07-2008, 10:40 AM
How bad is the fuel economy on the stroker?

Cue-Ball
07-07-2008, 10:49 AM
NO, it won't be allowed! If he even THINKS about anything aftermarket, his wife gets a call. He MUST finish his Jeep before anything else!!

Honestly that is the kind of support I need.

And yes in my mind there is such a thing as too many projects.

Cue-Ball
07-07-2008, 10:50 AM
How bad is the fuel economy on the stroker?

I am consistantly getting 14.x mpg on the stroker.

dirty
07-07-2008, 11:21 AM
I am consistantly getting 14.x mpg on the stroker.

Tell them what kind of gas you have to buy, lol. Maybe I should have thought longer about my new engine build.:-D

Cue-Ball
07-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Oh and that is on 91 octane from Chevron, any other brand or octane rating pings and knocks like crazy.

Remember though that I have a high compression engine 9.5:1+, so I am more prone to issues than a stock compression stroker.

I have also not had the money to do any dyno tuning or computer reprograming which I am SURE would help with the driveability of it.

Last week gas cost me $4.73 a gallon here in Napa.

dirty
07-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Oh and that is on 91 octane from Chevron, any other brand or octane rating pings and knocks like crazy.

Remember though that I have a high compression engine 9.5:1+, so I am more prone to issues than a stock compression stroker.

I have also not had the money to do any dyno tuning or computer reprograming which I am SURE would help with the driveability of it.

Last week gas cost me $4.73 a gallon here in Napa.

Move to KS, $3.86. :booya: I'm looking for a motor cycle, seriously, both of my Grands are killing me (and I work in oil).

Good looking XJ though, my friend has a stock one and can usually coax 20 mpg out of it...depending on the wind.

CurtP
07-07-2008, 12:42 PM
You should have bought my 5.9 as your daily driver!

:(

Cue-Ball
07-07-2008, 03:15 PM
I saw you were selling yours, but it was not in the price range Curt. Sorry.

Cue-Ball
07-07-2008, 03:16 PM
I will be happy if I can get 18mpg+/- out of her.

Between the better mileage and the cheaper price I will be in MUCH better shape, then hopefully I can get moving on the ZJ again. It's killing me to have so many parts laying around the garage and not be able to start putting them on the Heep.

Dirk

Cue-Ball
07-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Okay picked up the parts today from Scott, now I just need to call AW tonight and see what his schedule looks like for getting the stuff installed.

Cue-Ball
07-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Well the Cheap Jeep lives.

Did some work on it yesterday and get it driving.

It is at the house now and needs a few more things (will be talking to you tomorrow Scott when you are back in the store).

There are still a few issues with it, but will a little more TLC it will be a decent DD.

The engine is STRONG for a 19 year old 4.slow.

Things left to do:

Water pump/t-stat (just to be safe)
Rear brakes need some work
New tires all the way around
A few misc. bulbs here are there
And the electrical needs a little attention

The 231 TC is jacked, but since this is a DD that will NEVER go offroad that really does not matter.

All in all it was worth the price and with another day of labor into it she should be pretty good to go.

Will keep you posted.

Dirk

CurtP
07-14-2008, 02:39 PM
You're going to run Mobil 1 in it, right? :flipoff2:

:D

Cue-Ball
07-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Damn who told you Curt.

Actually for right now I don't have any plans to change the fluids, it was recently done and depending on how much it leaks will determine what I put in to it in the future.

Remember this is CHEAP JEEP.

CurtP
07-14-2008, 06:10 PM
LOL. The exGF had a XJ and it marked its territory pretty well. The rear pinion leaked, the transmission output leaked, the front and rear main seals leaked and it drank coolant like no tomorrow - just like my '96 4.0 ZJ did.

I'm chasing some leaks on the 951 before I make the switch to AMS. I still don't know which series I'm going to run though.

Cue-Ball
08-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Well it does leak some oil, and looks like the trans is leaking also.

Right now the issue I am dealing with is it runs HOT most of the time. It has the old 'closed' type cooling system (no radiator cap) what I have heard is these are always problomatic. So I might be switching out the radiator to a 92+ model and replumbing a little bit to make it work and hopefully that will cure the issues.

Right now I am actually running cooling system cleaner in it in hopes that it will clean it out enought to make it work. It seems to do fine while driving, but idling seems to make the temps rise.

I will see how it goes once I run it a few more hours and then drain all the cleaner out and fill it with like 70% water/30% coolant and a bottle of water wetter. After all this is the CHEAP JEEP so I don't want to jump to a radiator swap that will probably run me about $300 when it is all said and done.

Although the guys on NAXJA really like this single core Aluminum radiator so I might have to go bling like that if I do need to swap radiators.

I will keep you posted. I drove it to work today we will see how it does on the drive home.

BigDaveZJ
08-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Dirk, my dad's old XJ ran hot as hell too (same closed cooling system) and I put a new rad and a 180* t-stat and it stayed nice and cool.

DJJordache
08-04-2008, 01:50 PM
yeah switch to the open style radiator and get rid of that colsed system crap! we were going through overflow bottles and caps just to make it hold pressure with the old closed style system

Cue-Ball
09-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Dirk, my dad's old XJ ran hot as hell too (same closed cooling system) and I put a new rad and a 180* t-stat and it stayed nice and cool.

Did you just do a stock replacement (closed system) radiator or did you swap it out to an open style?

Here is the thing, this is the CHEAP Jeep and the open style swap is going to run me about $300 +/- and a stock replacement HD one with my hookup is like half the price, so right now it is all about saving money.

I just don't want to do a stock replacement one and then still have issues and have to do the open style upgrade after, then I end up spending more in the long run.

BigDaveZJ
09-04-2008, 03:37 PM
The radiator was a slight upgrade from OEM from what I remember. I did this over 4 years ago, so the details are kinda fuzzy, but at most the upgrade was just an all metal unit as opposed to the plastic side tanks that the OEM unit may have had. I know most ZJ's had the plastic side tanks, can't remember on the XJ. But we did keep the closed cooling system.

Cue-Ball
09-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Right now it is actually running pretty good, there are some weird noises coming from both the front end and rear ends (I think), but right now I am basically ignoring them as I don't really have the time, money or mental capacity to deal with more crap on this thing.

I need to get it smogged so I can finish the registration and then that will be about it (other than the cooling issue).

I might breakdown and spend a day gutting the front end, pulling out the inner shafts, carrier, ring gear, vacuum disconnect, etc. etc. just to see if that is part of my noise issue, but right now I don't even have the time for that.

I will keep you posted.

Dirk

Cue-Ball
09-04-2008, 03:38 PM
The radiator was a slight upgrade from OEM from what I remember. I did this over 4 years ago, so the details are kinda fuzzy, but at most the upgrade was just an all metal unit as opposed to the plastic side tanks that the OEM unit may have had. I know most ZJ's had the plastic side tanks, can't remember on the XJ. But we did keep the closed cooling system.

Thanks, I am thinking that perhaps it is just because the radiator was neglected and is 19years old that if I did a HD 'stock' type replacement I would be in good shape.

Hopefully the weather will start cooling off and then I won't actually have to worry about it :D

DJJordache
09-04-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm pretty sure the old closed one my brother had was a GDI 3 row, but now he is open system...
maybe you can just hold out till it gets cooler.... it's almost here!

Cue-Ball
09-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Yea the one I was planning on if I do a stock type replacement is a HD 3 row type.

So maybe that would be good enough???

Remember this is just a stock 4.0

DJJordache
09-04-2008, 10:23 PM
yeah it should be fine. is it overheating badly?
with the old closed systems they were VERY dependent on the cap sealing to the overflow bottle, at least on ours it was. we went through a few caps and like 2 overflow bottles before the switch to an open system.