PDA

View Full Version : Bought A DD

ILikeMud
06-23-2008, 08:55 PM
As many people know I was tired of spending tons of money on my Jeep in gas lately. I decided to go out and buy a DD.
Picked up this 93 Integra tonight, mint condition for the year. No rust at all.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Integra/FrontQuater01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Integra/RearQuater01.jpg

Flame away!

OverkillZJ
06-23-2008, 08:59 PM
You won't regret it, having a DD is the best thing that ever happened to this addiction!

BigDaveZJ
06-23-2008, 09:00 PM
You won't regret it, having a DD/tow rig is the best thing that ever happened to this addiction!

Fixed.

JordanA
06-23-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm hopefully picking one up this week too! I'm going for an '02 Subaru outback 4 banger, 5 speed and of course, all wheel drive.

ILikeMud
06-23-2008, 09:32 PM
You won't regret it, having a DD is the best thing that ever happened to this addiction!

For sure.
Costs less to fill then my ZJ but gets around the same mileage in the city. Only down side is it needs 91 octane.

SirFuego
06-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Very nice, Anthony. I had a Civic during my first year of wheeling and it was nice not having to worry about how I would get around if I broke the ZJ to the point where it wasn't driveable.

Like George said this weekend -- make sure to get CAA Plus or Premiere (Canadian AAA equivalent) to get your free tows when the ZJ is wheelable :)

Hurricane 4x4
06-23-2008, 10:00 PM
what an ugly pos!

slim616
06-23-2008, 10:07 PM
This is just the first step to the darkside.

ILikeMud
06-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Very nice, Anthony. I had a Civic during my first year of wheeling and it was nice not having to worry about how I would get around if I broke the ZJ to the point where it wasn't driveable.

Like George said this weekend -- make sure to get CAA Plus or Premiere (Canadian AAA equivalent) to get your free tows when the ZJ is wheelable :)

Thanks man.
I've got CAA Gold already. They've towed the old Jeep more then once.

This is just the first step to the darkside.

The built Jeep dark side?

ZJ TINS
06-23-2008, 10:21 PM
My DD is truley my ZJ, but it's only 5 miles round trip to work:D . However ever since gas went over 3$/gal, we drive the wife's '01 Camry for errands. Good mileage, fun to drive, comfortable, highly reccomend to anyone who needs more than a 2 seater.
Youngest son has '94 Civic EX (2dr) oldest has a '03 Civic LX 4DR. Both excellent on mileage and reliable. For pickup though make sure to get the VTEC very nice addition for low end torque withou screwing up the high end HP.
After youngest graduates college (in 4 yrs, gag:smt012 ) I think I will seriously look in to the CiviC hybrid 40/45 MPG now, who knows then. Not quite as comfortable as the Camry but will be used for in town anyway.

ILikeMud
06-23-2008, 10:33 PM
It's got a 1.6L DOHC VTEC in it so it's goes pretty decent. Nothing like the torque of the Jeep but when VTEC kicks in it's enough to give me a shit eatting grin.
It's comfortable but I need to get use to how low it is. Been years since I've driven a lowered car.
It's got full coil over not sleeves like most ricer use. 24 way adjustable damping and ride height adjustable.

IndyZJ
06-23-2008, 10:42 PM
should make a nice little driver. are you going to raise it back up at all? it looks like it's going to eat tires the way it sits, and raising it up an inch or 2 would do a lot to help soak up the bumps. smart move on the gas saver:cool:

ILikeMud
06-23-2008, 10:59 PM
It rides pretty nice with the full coil overs to be honest.
I am going to add front and rear camber kit in the next little bit.

Cue-Ball
06-23-2008, 11:28 PM
I am waiting on the rest of my tax money to arrive and hopefully our mid year bonuses will be here so and then I will be getting a DD also.

Yes my wife agrees and is actually going to be calling the IRS tomorrow to check on our refund.

Dirk

dirty
06-23-2008, 11:34 PM
what an ugly pos!

I love those years of Integras! Those are some of the funnest ricer cars you can own.

Don't listen to them...drive the shit out of that little beast! (The five speeds are a hoot. :D Heck...if you wanna pick on someone pick on me, I'm looking for a CRX, lol.)

ILikeMud
06-24-2008, 12:12 AM
I am waiting on the rest of my tax money to arrive and hopefully our mid year bonuses will be here so and then I will be getting a DD also.

Yes my wife agrees and is actually going to be calling the IRS tomorrow to check on our refund.

Dirk

Good luck Dirk!
DD is awesome to have.

I sold my GF on the idea, told her it would have lots of money basically lol.

I love those years of Integras! Those are some of the funnest ricer cars you can own.

Don't listen to them...drive the shit out of that little beast! (The five speeds are a hoot. :D Heck...if you wanna pick on someone pick on me, I'm looking for a CRX, lol.)

CRXs are friggin sweet. Super light and they handle awesome. Put a swap in there and they can be real fun to drive.

I've always loved this year of Integra, always wanted one and now I've got it.
Gotta do a few things like a new exhaust, camber kits and jap spec lights and that will be it for now.

LouisianaZJ
06-24-2008, 12:13 AM
nice camber on the front wheels :smt030

dirty
06-24-2008, 12:16 AM
Good luck Dirk!

CRXs are friggin sweet. Super light and they handle awesome. Put a swap in there and they can be real fun to drive.

Gotta do a few things like a new exhaust, camber kits and jap spec lights and that will be it for now.

And get a strut bar, the ones that tie the two strut towers together...really helps out the flex...you though our unibodies where weak, lol.:driving:

ILikeMud
06-24-2008, 12:38 AM

It's on the list.

I'll be adding tie/strut bars too eventually. Just a matter of time.
I'll take some better pictures once I clean it up.

Boman6001
06-24-2008, 01:04 AM
I think my DD was the best thing I did. I couldnt resist though. '97 dodge avenger for $500 bucks. Of course I have more into it now seeing as it was put nose first into a concrete median on the highway. Overall I am more into it for hours of work though, not money. Now I just need to paint the damn front end and stop being cheap. But the way I see it I would rather drive it as a multi color car and get about 24mpg vs 10 or 11mpg with the Jeep. But yeah I agree, smart choice on the DD.

MoonWorks
06-24-2008, 01:07 AM
The built Jeep dark side?

For some but this is you we're talking about so there's a good chance there will be lots of talk with no action like usual. :)

ILikeMud
06-24-2008, 08:10 AM
For some but this is you we're talking about so there's a good chance there will be lots of talk with no action like usual. :)

I'm sure I deserve that.
The Jeep will be going into storage in July till some time next year.

ZJ TINS
06-24-2008, 08:52 AM
I'll drive my ZJ until they pry my cold dead hand s off of it! or its totalled, either off road or someone hits me, Hmmm better bumpers next methinks.

DJJordache
06-24-2008, 09:37 AM
I was gonna say that! now you just need a huge spoiler (on a FWD car) and a loud fart can exhaust!:D Folgers is the best!

redline61
06-24-2008, 01:16 PM
What makes you think it doesn't have a load exhaust. It has an engine swap.

Skyline
06-24-2008, 01:51 PM
Good luck Dirk!
DD is awesome to have.

I sold my GF on the idea, told her it would have lots of money basically lol.

First thing I would do is see how much you could raise it up with the coilovers. There is no practical reason to have a street car that low. Even if you could get the camber back into a decent street range using adjustable camber plates or some other method, (1.5 deg neg instead of the 15 deg neg you have now in the front), it's still too low. That amount of camber should cause a lot of trammeling, and really rapid tire wear will just be a bonus. Ideal camber for racetrack conditions is appoximately equal to the roll angle your car generates, but that amount is really going to be a problem on the street. But getting the camber to a good street level is critical to having a decent driving car.

You need decent wheel travel on the street, not just for comfort, but for the tires to be able to adhere to less than perfect roads. No to mention the fact that you really don't want to scrape your spoiler or oil pan on every speed bump or curb cut.

CurtP
06-24-2008, 02:30 PM
First thing I would do is see how much you could raise it up with the coilovers. There is no practical reason to have a street car that low. Even if you could get the camber back into a decent street range using adjustable camber plates or some other method, (1.5 deg neg instead of the 15 deg neg you have now in the front), it's still too low. That amount of camber should cause a lot of trammeling, and really rapid tire wear will just be a bonus. Ideal camber for racetrack conditions is appoximately equal to the roll angle your car generates, but that amount is really going to be a problem on the street. But getting the camber to a good street level is critical to having a decent driving car.

You need decent wheel travel on the street, not just for comfort, but for the tires to be able to adhere to less than perfect roads. No to mention the fact that you really don't want to scrape your spoiler or oil pan on every speed bump or curb cut.

Nice summary :smt023

With a a car that low, it's about impossible for the shocks to dampen what little suspension travel there is. I bet that car just bounces down the road.

It doesn't look good sitting that low and you're going to wipe the inside of those tires in no time.

ILikeMud
06-24-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm gonna raise it tomorrow morning.

Tommy
07-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Why? I think it looks good. How is the tire wear? Does it have a camber kit. I really like the gen2 body style...

I would drive the hell out of the beotch, especially on the freeway on and off ramps!!!!

I have my eye on an older prelude that is slammed on 17's for a DD....

The Dude
07-04-2008, 12:49 PM
It rides pretty nice with the full coil overs to be honest.
I am going to add front and rear camber kit in the next little bit.

ROFL this is an akward tech post here....which camber kit are you going to use, the offset ball joints or the a arm adjusters? I have a lowered CRX for a dd that i picked up with the same camber thing going on in the front lol. I have the 1.6 too, but not vtec.

Edit...just saw you were going to raise it back. I might too if i can find some stock aprings. Tire wear is already an issue on mine, and dirt roads and speed bumps are off limits for me with that

ILikeMud
07-12-2008, 10:37 PM
ROFL this is an akward tech post here....which camber kit are you going to use, the offset ball joints or the a arm adjusters? I have a lowered CRX for a dd that i picked up with the same camber thing going on in the front lol. I have the 1.6 too, but not vtec.

Edit...just saw you were going to raise it back. I might too if i can find some stock aprings. Tire wear is already an issue on mine, and dirt roads and speed bumps are off limits for me with that

Sorry, been without a computer for a bit. Moved and all that crap.

What's akward? It's got full coil overs not coil over slevees like most ricers run. 24 way damping adjustable, I'm running 16 front and 18 rear for stiffness. Rides and handles pretty damn nice.

I'm thinking about the Skunk2 kit for the car, which is a replacement A arm with adjustable billet ball joints.

I raised the car up, getting the A/C fixed. I'm too old and fat to be sitting in traffic with no A/C.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Integra/100_0228.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Integra/100_0229.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Integra/100_0230.jpg

I want to adjust it down a tiny bit more. Other then that I'm going to add 1 or 2 other things and then buy some shit for the Rust Bucket.
Also, in case anyone is wondering, I'm getting between 550-650 to a tank of premuim depending for I drive it.

The Dude
07-13-2008, 01:34 AM
I think i am going to get some better springs to lift it up but still keep it down a bit since i cant get the stock springs for mine. I just really want to get the camber right so it will handle better (no power steering) and not chew threw tires.

I wish I could get that kind of mileage per tank, but my gas tank is the size of a walnut.

ILikeMud
07-13-2008, 10:50 AM
How bad is the camber?

Looks at a set of H&R springs for the car, lowest drop is 1 or 1.5" IIRC. Should change the camber a bit too since it won't be slammed.

Hurricane 4x4
07-13-2008, 07:05 PM
looks alot better now, it was stupid low before. camber looks right too

I actually do like those integras. I don't think its a pos anymore.. only reason I said that earlier was because the camber was off and the lowering setup looked botched. Didn't know it had coil overs

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
07-13-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm with Ren,

I thought it looked rice-ish and lame first. But now that it is sitting right and is cleaned up, its a nice little car. I'd definitely DD it.

ILikeMud
07-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Thanks guys.

I wasn't happy with how low it was either. It was stupid in fact.

CurtP
07-14-2008, 07:48 AM
It does look a lot better. Looks like the front needs to come down a little and rear up a little, unless that's just the way it's sitting on the concrete pad.

We have two Integras at the house right now getting mods. One has a really shitty, very bland interior. The other one is much nicer, but it still doesn't do much for me - I'm just not an Asian car guy.

I know where you can get a turbo kit for it :D

The Dude
07-15-2008, 10:30 AM
How bad is the camber?

Looks at a set of H&R springs for the car, lowest drop is 1 or 1.5" IIRC. Should change the camber a bit too since it won't be slammed.

Its got some cheap ebay kit on it now, the only good part is it has the adjusters, but I have them maxed up and it still sits too low.

The camber is at least as negative as yours was in those first pics, if not more. I will have to look into the H&R stuff.

ILikeMud
08-05-2008, 10:48 AM
It does look a lot better. Looks like the front needs to come down a little and rear up a little, unless that's just the way it's sitting on the concrete pad.

We have two Integras at the house right now getting mods. One has a really shitty, very bland interior. The other one is much nicer, but it still doesn't do much for me - I'm just not an Asian car guy.

I know where you can get a turbo kit for it :D

You don't know how fucking tempting it is for me.
The car is totally stock performance wise now, I put a factory air box on it minus the resonators.

Its got some cheap ebay kit on it now, the only good part is it has the adjusters, but I have them maxed up and it still sits too low.

The camber is at least as negative as yours was in those first pics, if not more. I will have to look into the H&R stuff.

Make sure to run some decent shocks too or it'll ride like shit.

Here's a few new pics of how the car sits now, over all I'm pleased with it.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3129/2725849703_d893c3502f_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3095/2726669174_dec25686bb_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3254/2725847249_9172ef3404_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3247/2725852595_fcc40ba295_b.jpg

CurtP
08-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Dammit - can't you ever park that turd on level ground? :flipoff2:

It still looks ass low in the back. I'd raise it up about 1/2" above level so it doesn't look like you're always driving uphill. I don't like a lot of rake in the stance - 1/2" may be a bit much, but I'm having a hard time telling on that car.

From what little I can see, the cloth seats look a lot nicer than their shitty leather ones.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
08-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Looks really clean for its age.

97 zj Steve
08-05-2008, 08:00 PM
like it better now its not as low...nice

ILikeMud
08-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Dammit - can't you ever park that turd on level ground? :flipoff2:

It still looks ass low in the back. I'd raise it up about 1/2" above level so it doesn't look like you're always driving uphill. I don't like a lot of rake in the stance - 1/2" may be a bit much, but I'm having a hard time telling on that car.

From what little I can see, the cloth seats look a lot nicer than their shitty leather ones.

Yea, I'm confused to fuck with these coil overs. They are off an Integra Type R so I dunno if they sit lower in the rear or what.
Right now the rear as maybe a finger gap and the front is a 2 finger gap. I actually want to bring the front down a tiny bit but will hold off until the camber kit gets in.

Besides in a couple months I'll have to raise it for winter anyhow.

Oh, I'm happy as hell that I have cloth in my GS-R. I learned from my ZJ that leather fucking blows.

niceday2ride
08-06-2008, 09:21 AM
I like the Japanese student driver sticker

1fox2go
08-06-2008, 05:53 PM
I just got my DD last week, 1990 Civic Hatchback, I'd put up a pic but my camera is broke, anyway why is it that the ricer crew slams them down so low? It might look "good" but it fucks up your tires so fast

anyway nice ride, mine had the ZC swap done, and I have the same wheels I think, or super close to the same, I hear you on the temptation of a turbo. I was looking up stuff and it actually would be very easy. A friend got the 3 core tall radiator thats half as wide so that opens up your space for the turbo

ILikeMud
08-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Slamming a car is find imo.
However, if you leave it all cambered out, it's fucking stupid. A few degrees of camber will help handling but when you have +10 degrees, it's stupid.

ILikeMud
10-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Ok, so Curt, the reason the ass looks low as shit is because the rear wheel arch is lower then the front. The car is sitting perfectly level.

Also I've now tossed it around the road track, I might have found a second addiction now.

CurtP
10-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Ok, so Curt, the reason the ass looks low as shit is because the rear wheel arch is lower then the front. The car is sitting perfectly level.
My WK is like that. Kind of irritating, actually. Fucks up the wheel to wheel arch spacing when the car is sitting level. How much rake would you have if you set it for the wheel arches to match?

Also I've now tossed it around the road track, I might have found a second addiction now.
Were you in a sanctioned race? It does get addicting. I'm at the point now where I need to start taking DE (driver's education) courses. Great - another expensive hobby!

Sign up for a couple of autocrosses. You'll find out your driving shortcomings and issues with your car's suspension. I've found that too much lowering is really bad. REALLY bad. Nothing like hitting a bump coming around a corner with not enough suspension travel (like poly bushings going into bind or having the bump stop hit) and having the ass end of your car swing around. I'm actually raising the rear of my car so I'll have a 1° rake to add a little oversteer. This understeer is killing me on the track. I've got flat spots on all four tires because I plowed through a corner and had to BFI (both feet in - one on the clutch, one on the brake) to keep from going into the woods. I think I left a brown puck mark on my seat!

ILikeMud
10-14-2008, 08:55 AM
haha.
I think if I lower it a bit more in the front it'll look even. I haven't bothered to play with it anymore.

It was just an open track event. I'm going to try and set the car up for the local CSCS time attack class. I need a helmet and harness bar to be legal in that. Not to mention some new rims and tires as my current set up is pretty junk for the track.

CurtP
10-14-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm currently running Falken Azenis RT-615 tires and I couldn't be happier. They're doing well on the street and at the track and are actually wearing pretty well for a soft tire. They even do pretty good in the rain. I didn't want to have a separate set of tires for competition - I wanted to be able to drive to an event, and (hopefully) drive home with the least amount of fuss.

ILikeMud
10-14-2008, 10:42 PM
I hear ya there.
Only reason I will have two sets of rims is because one set will be wrapped in winter tires.

I was also very displeased with the brakes on the car at the track and under some serious spirited driving. Plans are to delete the shitty ABS system (I think the ZJ ABS is better), 2 piston calipers and 11" rotors up front and slightly bigger brakes from a newer GS-R on the rear.
I've got a few kind of dress up things planned for the car, nothing rice of course.

I'm thinking about the Autopower roll bar for it but I'm unsure.