PDA

View Full Version : "Crystal" headlights???

StinkoMan20X6_
06-15-2008, 03:03 AM
Saw some unusual clear, ricer lookin headlights on fleabay the other day. Wondering if they are actually decent or not. They come in clear or black. They're advertized as crystal headlights. I also saw some Altezza look alike rears that are blacker than the real ones and thus look less ghetto..They're also cheaper. Anybody got any pics and/or helarioius comments?

zj95
06-15-2008, 05:58 AM
:popcorn:

redline61
06-15-2008, 01:09 PM
jeepsunlimited.com

Northwoods 5.9
06-15-2008, 02:22 PM
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/northwoodszj/P1010150.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/northwoodszj/lights2.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/northwoodszj/P1010167.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/northwoodszj/P1010164.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/northwoodszj/P1010166.jpg

haymaker
06-15-2008, 02:45 PM
I have the black ones on mine. They are decent. the quality is acceptable other than the mounting clips. you'll definatley want to fight the clips they give you out and put the stock ones in (HUGE pain in the dick). other than that I am pretty happy with them. They look decent and have good enough output I guess. We'll see how they do after my 9007 bulb swap. the lense is plastic tho don't let the word crystal fool you.

OverkillZJ
06-15-2008, 03:41 PM
I don't dislike them, but I would smash those on a tree in .02 seconds :finga:

matts96zj
06-15-2008, 10:07 PM
some good comparison feedback on these would be great. Since the ZJ's are showing age now, the yellowing is taking it's toll & the old "rubbing compound" trick doesn't make 'em like new anymore... it'd be nice to have headlight options other than factory replacements or e-codes, even if it's not an "upgrade". I personally would only like the "crystal" style headlights, not the rest.

goose2125
06-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Has anybody tried wet sanding them and then clear coating them?? I have done the ones on the wifes wj about a year ago and they still look good.

haymaker
06-16-2008, 12:29 AM
I would definatley get these again over stockers I can tell you that much

CurtP
06-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Where would you like me to begin to tell you how shitty those lenses are? With no diffraction lines cast into the lens, there's no way those are putting useful light in the road without excessive scatter. Unfortunately for the ZJ, there's only a few options. Polish the stock plastic lenses, replace them with OEM-style lenses, upgrade to the Crown aftermarket EU repops or come up with your own custom setup using halogen/Xenon projectors.

Not to mention, those look like shit.

Z
06-16-2008, 11:22 AM
Where would you like me to begin to tell you how shitty those lenses are? With no diffraction lines cast into the lens, there's no way those are putting useful light in the road without excessive scatter. Unfortunately for the ZJ, there's only a few options. Polish the stock plastic lenses, replace them with OEM-style lenses, upgrade to the Crown aftermarket EU repops or come up with your own custom setup using halogen/Xenon projectors.

Not to mention, those look like shit.

The focusing "lines" are in the mirrors at the back of the unit, not on the lense themselves. I've seen this used on many new vehicles. Do you have specific industry knowledge that states this is a horrible way to go?

Besides, you really could not do worse than the crappy stock ZJ headlights - they are truely an abomination.

CurtP
06-16-2008, 12:23 PM
The reflectors can only do so much by themselves, which is why you typically see diffraction lines in the lens. I can tell you for a fact that those do not meet DOT requirements. Doesn't even look to have DOT markings and if there are, I bet they're either a generic code which doesn't apply, or a code that's been copied from the OEM lens. And, for the record, there is no such thing as "DOT approved". If there are DOT markings, let me have them so I can look them up.

If you look at most vehicles that have clear lenses, you'll see that the lens is only protecting the internal focusing system (typically a lens/projector). Those housings have a cap, but aftermarket vendors typically use them only to mask the lamp, not focus the light. Light output has probably improved with those lenses, but where is that light being thrown? The reflector looks symmetrical, so light has to be going everywhere. Light being reflected up into the trees and way out to the sides doesn't help you see down the road. There's no way there's any cut-off lines with those lenses and I bet the hotspots on the road are ridiculous, provided you could even get any semblance of aim from those things.

Those lenses are purely cosmetic. Probably about the only thing you can do to make them worse is to use one of those shitty aftermarket HID kits. And they still look like shit.

dirty
06-16-2008, 08:41 PM
DOT certified or not, I picked up a pair of these (the clear ones, not black) to replace my terribly yellowed stockers and the improvment is amazing. They seem to focus ok for me. The clear ones have a reflective background that seems to focus the light pretty well. Probably more cosmetic than anything, true, but better than '97 OEM still IMO.

I thought the clear corners looked silly though, so I'm picking up OEM (with the orange) corners.

The black looks great on that gray ZJ though.

ILikeMud
06-16-2008, 08:52 PM
The reflectors can only do so much by themselves, which is why you typically see diffraction lines in the lens. I can tell you for a fact that those do not meet DOT requirements. Doesn't even look to have DOT markings and if there are, I bet they're either a generic code which doesn't apply, or a code that's been copied from the OEM lens. And, for the record, there is no such thing as "DOT approved". If there are DOT markings, let me have them so I can look them up.

If you look at most vehicles that have clear lenses, you'll see that the lens is only protecting the internal focusing system (typically a lens/projector). Those housings have a cap, but aftermarket vendors typically use them only to mask the lamp, not focus the light. Light output has probably improved with those lenses, but where is that light being thrown? The reflector looks symmetrical, so light has to be going everywhere. Light being reflected up into the trees and way out to the sides doesn't help you see down the road. There's no way there's any cut-off lines with those lenses and I bet the hotspots on the road are ridiculous, provided you could even get any semblance of aim from those things.

Those lenses are purely cosmetic. Probably about the only thing you can do to make them worse is to use one of those shitty aftermarket HID kits. And they still look like shit.

Retrofit HID projectors in and they'd likey me good.

haymaker
06-16-2008, 10:52 PM
and I only got mine because my stockers got busted out and I got a good deal on a brand new set. I am more than happy with them and weather you like it or not I think they look pretty good

greengc4x4
06-17-2008, 02:32 AM
i plan to buy the black ones and put hids in them within two weeks

CurtP
06-17-2008, 08:39 AM
DOT certified or not...
There's no such thing as DOT approved or certified. ONLY DOT compliant. DOT sets guidelines that manufacturers follow, they don't actually approve or certify designs.

Retrofit HID projectors in and they'd likey me good.
Projectors = good. They do a very good job of controlling light and good ones have very sharp cut-off lines. Hella is one of the better manufacturers of true projectors. If you're trying to save some money, they also make a very nice halogen projector. But don't buy the halogen projector thinking that you can upgrade it to Xenon at a later date - the focal lengths are significantly different.

...and weather you like it or not I think they look pretty good
No, no they don't.

DJJordache
06-17-2008, 08:52 AM
x10 on everything curt says! plus they look like crap and USE THE SEARCH!:D

haymaker
06-17-2008, 01:44 PM
No, no they don't.

fraid so:butthead:

CurtP
06-17-2008, 02:36 PM
fraid so:butthead:

Maybe to JUers they do, but in reality, they look like shit. Cheap ricey shit.

SirFuego
06-17-2008, 02:48 PM
I've already broken my headlight 3 or 4 times. After the last time it finally just fell off and I drove over it. I'm on my second rear driver's tail light -- which has already been cracked and "fixed" a couple times. I guess my fugly robot lights are moreso for entertainment -- everyone locally wants to see a tree or rock rip them off....

Although I was going to have a header panel and real ZJ headlights up front again, but someone happened to break it... :smt064

I'd hate to spend money on bling when it's just going to get destroyed. I guess that's what happens when ZJ's are taken off-road in the northeast...

jeeperanthony
06-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Curt, have you seen them on the road or something? With all these other guys saying what an improvement are, i cant help but wonder.

Another option though, is to mount KC DLs on your bumper, and turn them off when you see oncoming traffic.;)

StinkoMan20X6_
06-17-2008, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the pics. Those lights don't look too bad. I kinda like 'em. My 5.9 will hopefully never hit any trees as it'll be stuck to the street. This was nowhere near as helarious a thread as I had imagined but I've seen some great attempts. Thanks for all the info guys!

CurtP
06-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Curt, have you seen them on the road or something? With all these other guys saying what an improvement are, i cant help but wonder.

I can't say I've seen those exact ones, but I've seen some eBay lenses like those. No DOT markings, and I don't recall them even having the aiming nubs (the ones in the pictures do).

As for improvement - I'm sure there is an improvement over trying to shine light through a clear lens versus shining light through a translucent lens. Now if you installed a set of those, drove down a dark road, then installed a set of the Crown glass EU lights using the same wattage bulb and drove down that same dark road, then you could see the difference.

My point is that if you're going to spend the money in attempt to improve lighting performance, then make an educated decision in doing so. I've posted it several times before, but I guess I should post it again. Read the Tech, the FAQ and the regulations: http://www.danielsternlighting.com
Good read, but most people don't bother to educate themselves and will perpetually spew their misconceptions and ignorance.

ILikeMud
06-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Projectors = good. They do a very good job of controlling light and good ones have very sharp cut-off lines. Hella is one of the better manufacturers of true projectors. If you're trying to save some money, they also make a very nice halogen projector. But don't buy the halogen projector thinking that you can upgrade it to Xenon at a later date - the focal lengths are significantly different.

I've got sitting here on my shelf:
Hella Gen 3 Ballast
Porsche Bi-Xenon projectors
Phillips D2S 4100k D2S bulbs

Was going to convert the jeep but I guess I'll be converting the beater instead.

haymaker
06-18-2008, 02:37 PM
thanks for your OPINION curt. I have already read through daniel stern lighting a thousand times. Anyways, I gaurentee far far faaaar more people think they look better than those who don't. Just because its not cool at mallcrawlin to have anything done to you vehicle doesn't mean it doesn't look good. Now that being said, yes they are somewhat of a low quality peice, but they are honestly not that bad. and yes your probably right, if I had used another housing instead (besides stock) I might have had a little better output but for what I payed for my set, and how good they look, I doubt you will ever hear me complaining. If you don't like the way they look fine. Maybe I don't like the way yours look. but the fact is the large majority thinks they look way better. And still better than the stockers too as far as output. at least in my experiences.

BigDaveZJ
06-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Should we put it to a poll???

DJJordache
06-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Should we put it to a poll???
yes!

Northwoods 5.9
06-18-2008, 09:13 PM
I can't say I've seen those exact ones, but I've seen some eBay lenses like those. No DOT markings, and I don't recall them even having the aiming nubs (the ones in the pictures do).

As for improvement - I'm sure there is an improvement over trying to shine light through a clear lens versus shining light through a translucent lens. Now if you installed a set of those, drove down a dark road, then installed a set of the Crown glass EU lights using the same wattage bulb and drove down that same dark road, then you could see the difference.

My point is that if you're going to spend the money in attempt to improve lighting performance, then make an educated decision in doing so. I've posted it several times before, but I guess I should post it again. Read the Tech, the FAQ and the regulations: http://www.danielsternlighting.com
Good read, but most people don't bother to educate themselves and will perpetually spew their misconceptions and ignorance.

Well since you said they're no good, it must be gospel. I'm going to go outside and lecture my Jeep for putting out more lighting than you say it should. I like 'em and I figure since its my rig, I can run whatever the fuck I want to run. What's next? The 37" tires I'm running now aren't round enough for you?
We get it, you don't like them... get a hold of your pussy and stop your whining.

CurtP
06-19-2008, 08:03 AM
OH NOES! Somebody please report me to the mods and negative rep my ass for offending the n00bs :smt044

ILikeMud
06-19-2008, 10:02 AM
What's with all the n00bs with sand in there pussies?

hkszx2
06-19-2008, 11:47 AM
I love when people get e tough

haymaker
06-19-2008, 01:28 PM
I don't know whos getting e-tough but maybe if you don't like noobs "having sand in their vaginas" you guys shouldn't be such ass bags all the time! Seriousley. I have never been on a forum with so many douchebags in my entire life. There are a lot of smart people on this board, and a lot of good info, and yah theres some nice guys (and gals I'm sure) on here too but man is there ever a bunch of fucking assholes as well. OOOO look how hardcore of an offroader I am. I make jackass comments all day long because I'm sooooo hardcore into offroading arghhh. If theres any e-tough guys on this board is mostly the guys that like to be jackasses for no reason.

As for me I'd love to just be cool with everybody and share and gain knowledge. Too bad everyone else doesn't feel that way because this could be one hell of a board.

DJJordache
06-19-2008, 01:57 PM
As for me I'd love to share and gain knowledge.
ok I'll bite..... while you and others may think those lights look cool, everyone is entitled to their opinion. here on MC we are more about function over form(most of the time).

those lights have no diffusion on the lenses at all, thus creating a ton of glare and have no real beam pattern to speak of, since the lenses are totally clear. being totally clear would not be an issue if the bulbs were a different style for example projectors that have their own beam patterns and beam cutoff lines built into them, instead of just flooding all light in some forward-esqe direction like these housings do.

The black areas inside the housings absorb the light rather than reflect it and will also reduce the usable light output even further. The "reflectors" in the housing are not designed to be used with that kind of bulb/lens combination, and put out crap for light.

sure they may seem bright, but be honest with yourself at night, the beam patterns are crap. those housings are just for looks and are about as functional as the ebay ricer "hid" drop in kits.

OverkillZJ
06-19-2008, 02:02 PM
You're all fighting about headlights.

Many of our rigs don't even have headlights :finga:

SirFuego
06-19-2008, 02:04 PM
How come no one suggested using robot lights? :finga:

<---

BigDaveZJ
06-19-2008, 02:09 PM
You're all fighting about headlights.

Many of our rigs don't even have headlights :finga:

I've got these weird plastic things on the front of my ZJ that kinda glow when I turn on the headlight switch. The stock ZJ headlights truly do suck, but you guys might as well be arguing about who has a cooler calculator!

CurtP
06-19-2008, 03:13 PM
I don't know whos getting e-tough but maybe if you don't like noobs "having sand in their vaginas" you guys shouldn't be such ass bags all the time! Seriousley. I have never been on a forum with so many douchebags in my entire life. There are a lot of smart people on this board, and a lot of good info, and yah theres some nice guys (and gals I'm sure) on here too but man is there ever a bunch of fucking assholes as well. OOOO look how hardcore of an offroader I am. I make jackass comments all day long because I'm sooooo hardcore into offroading arghhh. If theres any e-tough guys on this board is mostly the guys that like to be jackasses for no reason.

As for me I'd love to just be cool with everybody and share and gain knowledge. Too bad everyone else doesn't feel that way because this could be one hell of a board.

:smt044

That's some seriously funny shit.

I really don't care if I offend anyone. A question was asked, and I answered. I don't even attempt to try to sugar-coat my responses because if a straight answer offends you, then you're just a big crying pussy. My friends know when they ask me something, I'll be honest and I expect no less from them. We still swing wrenches and drink beer together and that's just the way it is. Kids these days and a bunch of fucking pansies. I blame Democrats and the PC movement.

greengc4x4
06-19-2008, 03:47 PM
back on topic.....i have a friend with the hids and clear lens and he sent me a picture of them up against his garage door and the cutoff line isnt as bad as you would seem to think. i was surprised. in two weeks he hasnt had one person flash their lights at him he says

grnd93
06-19-2008, 06:41 PM
I'll throw in my $.02

I think they look ok....considering getting them for my ZJ. The tails look like crap tho.

Alot of cars these days are using a similar design w/o HID's or anything special. The Mustang has had a clear lens headlight(with the black inside)since at least 2001 and they take a 9007 bulb. Here's what sylvania has to say about the 9004 bulb that the zj takes:
http://www.sylvaniaautocatalog.com/sylvania/ProductBrowse_halog.asp?Batchid=46&FigNumber=136

and the 9007 bulb that the Mustang takes:

http://www.sylvaniaautocatalog.com/sylvania/ProductBrowse_halog.asp?Batchid=46&FigNumber=136

They pretty much seem the same to me.

My point is this: If Ford (along with many other manufacturers, including Jeep) can use the "crystal lens" design from the factory with no detriment to lighting performance, why not the aftermarket?

In any regard they havce to be a huge improvement over my 15 year old stock lights that do nothing more than glow when I turn them on. I don't need anything blindingly bright (have my PIAA's for that), but I do need something that will actually let me see where I'm going at night. These might do the trick, and they might not. If the price is right I'm going to give them a shot.

Northwoods 5.9
06-19-2008, 06:45 PM
:smt044

That's some seriously funny shit.

I really don't care if I offend anyone. A question was asked, and I answered. I don't even attempt to try to sugar-coat my responses because if a straight answer offends you, then you're just a big crying pussy. My friends know when they ask me something, I'll be honest and I expect no less from them. We still swing wrenches and drink beer together and that's just the way it is. Kids these days and a bunch of fucking pansies. I blame Democrats and the PC movement.

Pathetic people don't offend me. I don't care to be E-tough. I've got nothing to prove, to your lame ass. By all means, state your opinion and state your reasons, but to go on and on and on.....my God! How are you going to tell a bunch of people that have the lights and are perfectly happy with them, that they don't work? All because you say so? What a fool you are. Go ahead and talk all the shit you want now. I've got thick skin. I've got a wonderful life, family, career, home, and toys. Nothing you can say could ever begin to make a dent. I feel pity for someone who has such a miserable life, that it causes him to act the way you do.
Oh, and uh, "Kids these days"? Just because I'm new to this site, I must be a kid and new to Jeeps.:smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044
How young are you, son? There's more out there than you and the tiny little corner of the universe that you live in.
You know, you really make yourself out to be an ass... but I forgive you for being who you are. Let's see now, are you going to be a boy? Or are you going to be a man...

BigDaveZJ
06-19-2008, 07:00 PM
You all need to clean the sand out of your respective vags.