PDA

View Full Version : GSW 2008 Carnage Thread (dial-up= not recommended)

fpkites
06-08-2008, 12:31 PM
I had a pretty good stuck on Cliffhanger at GSW last weekend, and I'm sure glad I went with this beefy armor. Take a look at what I did:

Coming up on the offending rock
http://www.fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/GSW2K8/Friday/Resized/GSW%20201%20[1024x768].jpg

Had to take a strap to get off of it. I was balanced on the KOR Crossmember and TC Skid :eek:
http://www.fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/GSW2K8/Friday/Resized/GSW%20202%20[1024x768].jpg

And now for the carnage....

That skid is not supposed to be curled like that
http://www.fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/GSW2K8/Carnage/TC_Skid/Image%20014%20%5b1024x768%5d.jpg

Note the rock rash on the support bar going from the unibody rail to the skid
http://www.fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/GSW2K8/Carnage/TC_Skid/Image%20016%20%5b1024x768%5d.jpg

My TC is actually sitting on the skid - normally there's about 1/4" gap between the case and the skid.
http://www.fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/GSW2K8/Carnage/TC_Skid/Image%20017%20%5b1024x768%5d.jpg

http://www.fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/GSW2K8/Carnage/TC_Skid/Image%20018%20%5b1024x768%5d.jpg

More rock rash
http://www.fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/GSW2K8/Carnage/TC_Skid/Image%20019%20%5b1024x768%5d.jpg

I'm yet to confirm this with KOR, but it appears that I actually opened up the L-bracket on the leg that goes from skid to "frame" rail. This let the skid come up just a smidge, and makes some interesting sounds.
http://www.fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/GSW2K8/Carnage/TC_Skid/Image%20022%20%5b1024x768%5d.jpg

It actually got forced into the unibody rail just a smidge
http://www.fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/GSW2K8/Carnage/TC_Skid/Image%20024%20%5b1024x768%5d.jpg

Proof positive that drivetrain protection is of paramount importance when working on your build. Always, always, always plan armor into your budget - you won't regret it!

trashman
06-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Hey i'm a cheep basterd any body around made that t case skid i would like to steal some ideas on a bild cuz i need me one of those

AprilzWarrior
06-08-2008, 12:41 PM
I hate to say it, BUT I think if you had the TOP 2 bolts in the supporting arm it would not have deflected like it did. Not to say that the Unibody wouldnt have just crushed.

Thats alot of force directed at a single spot of the Uniframe, not enough dispersement.

fpkites
06-08-2008, 12:47 PM
That arm is actually a 3rd connection point, holds the skid portion to the rail. I have a feeling (need to confirm it with KOR), that I'll be able to just replace that leg and give the skid some BFH lovin' and I'll be gravy. I'll be using an additional 2 bolts into the unibody to give it some more beef. Drilling the holes will suck balls, but should be doable.

AprilzWarrior
06-08-2008, 01:06 PM
I hate to say it, BUT I think if you had the TOP 2 bolts in the supporting arm it would not have deflected like it did. Not to say that the Unibody wouldnt have just crushed.

Thats alot of force directed at a single spot of the Uniframe, not enough dispersement.

That arm is actually a 3rd connection point, holds the skid portion to the rail.

Where do you see 3 points on 1 supporting arm ? I was not talking about the crossmember, thats not the problem.

You are going to have a helluva time bending that plate down without heat.:smt033

Drilling those 2 holes with a Right Angle Drill should really help you out.

fpkites
06-08-2008, 01:17 PM
The arm is in addition to the crossmember portion (3rd leg). The skid is attached to a 2x2 tube crossmember.

I've got an email in to Kevin to see what I need to do. Hopefully I'll be able to avoid replacing the whole assembly.

BigDaveZJ
06-08-2008, 04:34 PM
You still think I'm such a good spotter??? :-)

AprilzWarrior
06-08-2008, 04:36 PM

:smt046

Its only iron :smt036 If fact it did its job saving that TC. :funny:

AprilzWarrior
06-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Since this is a Carnage thread, anyone else have anything to offer up ?

I dont have pics yet, Moab dust killed my camera :(
But I took some heavy sheetmetal damage on the passenger side, 1 side wall to my left front tire, and left rear shock is blown out... edit hammered my CB Ant.

I need to install a better radiator as well, had some over heater issues as well.

BigDaveZJ
06-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Lost a brakeline, and the marginal dry rot I had on my tires finally lead to a cracked shoulder on one causing some air to rapidly uninstall itself from inside the tire.

wannabe_offroad
06-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Yeah, that's the last time I listen to dave...my 16 hr tcase skid is in about the same condition. I'd post pics, but my camera seems to have a sand infection and won't turn on :poke: . Remember that rock I was trying to get up???? He was the only one telling me to keep trying it!!!! Way to go Dave......

just screwin with ya...nothing a little bottle jack, BFH, and a few more hours of work (adding more pieces)....of course then I'll have to rename it...

K2
06-08-2008, 06:07 PM
LOL, Dave you have quite the track record. Here Dave spotted me to smashing my skid into my t-case. Not to mention the time he spotted a tree into my driver door! :)

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g252/copbob/misc%20online/10-14-06Moab050.jpg

BigDaveZJ
06-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Not to mention the time he spotted a tree into my driver door! :)

That was like 5 years ago, why you gotta bring up old shit?!?!? :flipoff2:

Pitch
06-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Carnage? Isn't this what skids are for?

And Putz, you got every minute's worth of effort out of that "16 hour skid" with your repeated attempts at that obstacle on Cliffhanger. You rammed on it like it was a beater, and throttled it like it had a bulletproof drivetrain. Your skid did it's job and then some.

ArloGuthroJeep
06-08-2008, 07:47 PM
I have some pics to post...need to find camera though:)

rrubio
06-08-2008, 07:51 PM

My front bumper does not think so Dave lol lol..Just kiddding bud you are a great spotter.

Cody
06-08-2008, 09:43 PM
I broke nothing. :D

fpkites
06-08-2008, 09:53 PM
That's right Cody - Dave didn't drive your rig this year :finga:

Cody
06-09-2008, 01:27 AM
Thats true. My rig did most of the optional obstacles so there is no way Dave would have been driving!

oooooohhh Burn!!!!!!!

K2
06-09-2008, 06:50 AM
That was like 5 years ago, why you gotta bring up old shit?!?!? :flipoff2:

Just saying you haven't changed. And I still haven't changed that door!

Z
06-09-2008, 08:13 AM
WK Carnage:
1. CB.
2. Corner of trim plate on custom hitch receiver cover, cover of trailer wiring harness is gone.
3. Sidewall of 1 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor - bought certs from Discount Tire especially for this purpose, replaced for free. Time for some MTRs.
4. Big-as-an-oil-barrel muffler was tagged and I think is creating a racket. Time for a Magnaflow.

That's it. Every piece of armor has dents and dings in it EXCEPT for the rocker protection which don't even have a scratch. It helps a lot that the rocker panel covers on the WK are just plastic and can be completely removed and replaced with 4xGuard's skids - nice and tight compared to the WJ or ZJ rockers where you have to add a couple inches below the rocker panels.

Biggest problem with the WK? IFS was not nearly as big of a detriment as I thought it would be, but the rear lower control arm hangers just act as anchors sometimes.

Ted_Z
06-09-2008, 09:40 AM
3. Sidewall of 1 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor - bought certs from Discount Tire especially for this purpose, replaced for free. Time for some MTRs.
FYI, I've punctured the sidewalls of 2 GY MTR's. I've heard similar reports from others. If you're worried about sidewalls look elsewhere.

ajmorell
06-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Jim, That is the same thing that happened to my KOR skid at GSMW this year. I talked to Kevin and we both agreed that the bracket that bolts to the unibody there just isn't thick enough to take that kind of abuse. I'm headed down to JCR this weekend to have them take care of it. I also had the problem of the skid being in contact with my t-case and it was causing some nasty vibration back through the chassis. I tried to bent that arm back with a BFH but just mangled it in the process. If you want me to forward you the email correspondence between Kevin and myself PM me your email address.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/ajmorell/Jeep/P5120011.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/ajmorell/Jeep/P5120010.jpg

That is AFTER I tried beating it back....

SirFuego
06-09-2008, 10:04 AM
I was expecting to see a flop, severe body damage, or a snapped axle....

I had the same mounting issues with my skid row skid. A couple good blows and those self tapping screws come right out. Although my skid row skid was in MUCH worse shape than the kevins one -- and it sounds like a similar situation that really did my skid in.

piku303
06-09-2008, 10:41 AM
really the ideal way to mount it on the frame rail is not to use a 2 sided piece of angle iron but three sides like a sleeve. that way you could continue to disperse the load to the other side. also making the sleeve wider down each sides of the rail than the kevins one will continue to disperse the load.

fpkites
06-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Jim, That is the same thing that happened to my KOR skid at GSMW this year. I talked to Kevin and we both agreed that the bracket that bolts to the unibody there just isn't thick enough to take that kind of abuse. I'm headed down to JCR this weekend to have them take care of it. I also had the problem of the skid being in contact with my t-case and it was causing some nasty vibration back through the chassis. I tried to bent that arm back with a BFH but just mangled it in the process. If you want me to forward you the email correspondence between Kevin and myself PM me your email address.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/ajmorell/Jeep/P5120011.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/ajmorell/Jeep/P5120010.jpg

That is AFTER I tried beating it back....

PM will be sent shortly - thanks bro. I should hear back from Kev this week as well.

ZJ TINS
06-09-2008, 12:53 PM
I'll try to get a pic but I picked the wrong line and bellied up on the KOR skid. Bent the unsupported corner of Kevin's crossmember so its hitting the transfer case. Stopped the noise by reusing the Mopar hitch plug that was ripped off and wedged it between the transfer case and Kevin's plate.
Kevin was their, and I talked to him a little, didn't seem too interested in a mod beyond what he has because the design has to fit everyone Jeep (can't say as I blame him). For now the plate just can't support the weight of the ZJ without some help. I am thinking of either triangulating against the box beam, or straight up into the floor with a 'big' spreader plate.
I never did hit any other part of the KOR xmember, so support the corner and it's a two thumbs up. Also much lighter than stock with mods for same issue.

I did the install with 2 bolts sideways through each corner brace into the box beam due to rusted (re: broken) factory bolts. Nothing else moved. Get a right angle drive for the drill, spent $50 at ACE and it worked beautifully. Its and Easy Power 81544.

Finally trimmed both stock plastic bumpers, front one was almost falling off anyway, specially after widowmaker.

Z
06-09-2008, 02:20 PM
FYI, I've punctured the sidewalls of 2 GY MTR's. I've heard similar reports from others. If you're worried about sidewalls look elsewhere.

Hmmm, the MTRs on my ZJ were still going strong after 25K miles. I took chunks out of their sides, but never big enough chunks to require replacement.

Maybe I'll just keep running the Silent Armors since I have free replacement.
(Kinda wierd - the other 3 Silent Armors looked brand new, but I put a deep gash in the 4th.)

Cody
06-09-2008, 02:34 PM
I went through 3 MTR's on my old buggy. I took out one pulling onto my trailer, and another time I put a hole the size of my big noggin in the sidewall.

Overall, a pretty good tire and at least as strong as most everything in it's class. I really liked my Bighorns though and will likely get a set of those when my MTR's bite the dust.

Z
06-09-2008, 02:40 PM
I went through 3 MTR's on my old buggy. I took out one pulling onto my trailer, and another time I put a hole the size of my big noggin in the sidewall.

Overall, a pretty good tire and at least as strong as most everything in it's class. I really liked my Bighorns though and will likely get a set of those when my MTR's bite the dust.

Cody - what specifically do you like about your Bighorns and why are they better than MTRs? Seem more durable? Better traction?

Cody
06-09-2008, 03:10 PM
At first, I thought they looked like a generic knock off of MTR's (and, honestly they kind of are lol) but they seemed to work really well, and I would have to say they at least contributed to how unusually well I felt that black ZJ I had worked--all things considered.

I never had a problem with them, and haven't heard of anyone else but you have to take it with a grain of salt since there are probably 500 sets of MTR's on the trail for every one set of bighorns. You see lots of flat MTR's, but you see a LOT of MTR's period.

I didn't have them long enough to get a good idea on milage, but I'm hard on tires and I thought that they seemed to hold up at least as well as the MTR's I've had. My buddy ran a set on his taco and it seems like he got about 35-40k out of them, with lots of dirt milage on fairly mild terrain.

Plus, they are cheaper so all things being equal I tend to spend less money.

I really like the looks of the KM2's, but I don't like the look of the price.

ArloGuthroJeep
06-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Like Cody said, there are a TON of MT/R's on the trail so when people come on and start bashing their sidewall strength you have to take that with a grain of salt. I ran mine for 2 years w/o any issues. The bigger issues with MT/R's is the chunking of the tread after a while - you're missing quite a few lugs. Then again I think my TrXus MT's are going to do the same thing:)

BigDaveZJ
06-09-2008, 04:23 PM
I was pretty disappointed in Pam's old MT/R's. Never displayed any real good traction, wore really fast, and was damn near impossible to make them wear even. Is there a BFG A/T in the size you need Tom?

Z
06-09-2008, 04:59 PM
BFGs were the second "offroad" tire I had my ZJ - their sidewalls ripped the first time I had them out. Just not impressed with BFGs - the Silent Armors held up much better (for me) than the BFGs.

ArloGuthroJeep
06-09-2008, 05:04 PM
I was pretty disappointed in Pam's old MT/R's. Never displayed any real good traction, wore really fast, and was damn near impossible to make them wear even. Is there a BFG A/T in the size you need Tom?

With all the tire problems you have, I am convinced that it is the drivers and not the tires at fault here:punish: :smt043

BigDaveZJ
06-09-2008, 05:08 PM
With all the tire problems you have, I am convinced that it is the drivers and not the tires at fault here:punish: :smt043

I put my 33's on in December of 2003, and the ONLY problems I had with them was after hitting a tree/rock at a high rate of speed. I've got $175 into ALL 5 tires right now so I can't complain too much.

Cody
06-09-2008, 05:33 PM
I've seen the BFG AT KO's take the same abuse as an MTR. I wouldn't consider them any less durable. They are a fantastic snow tire and for straight slickrock I don't think you'll find a stickier tread design. They load up with mud pretty quickly and don't clean as well as an MTR or traditional MT, but they deffinately have their place.

Z
06-09-2008, 06:05 PM
I've seen the BFG AT KO's take the same abuse as an MTR. I wouldn't consider them any less durable. They are a fantastic snow tire and for straight slickrock I don't think you'll find a stickier tread design. They load up with mud pretty quickly and don't clean as well as an MTR or traditional MT, but they deffinately have their place.

They must have changed a lot then. The original BFG ATs we pretty mediocre in the snow. With the original ATs, I HAD to use 4WD in snowy conditions. When I switched to MTRs I didn't have to use 4WD when there were just a few inches of snow on the ground.

Mtn WJ
06-09-2008, 06:07 PM
OK I will chime in with my experiences since this is becoming a tire thread.

Truxus MTs. I have had a set of them in a 32 inch size. Great Traction but it seemed they wear quicker than others and the treads had more chunks coming out than I prefer. Otherwise strong side wall.

Firestone MTs. I bought a new set and they did wear very well and were the quietest MT tire I have ever had. I did blow a side wall in Moab but it is hard to say if it was a fluke or a weakness.

MTRs. I have a used set of 33s and frankly they are wearing better than I expected and because I bought them from John I know they have had their share of offroad use so it appears a decent side wall.

It appears from most people I have seen the BFG AT KOs are a great tire but you never find them on sale.

I have seen the new Good Year Silent Armors. They look good but we will see how well they last off road. I like the rim guard just like the Firestones and BFGs.

If I were to buy new MT tires it would be a toss between the MTRs and the Firestones. I were to buy ATs it would be a toss between the Silent Armors and BFG AT KOs.

I have not seen any value priced tire that has the same sidewall durability as the tires I have listed above. If one exists I would like to know about it.

Cody
06-09-2008, 06:53 PM
I have not seen any value priced tire that has the same sidewall durability as the tires I have listed above. If one exists I would like to know about it.

http://www.maxxis.com/products/automotive/product_detail.asp?id=5477

:D

I wonder how loud and how road friendly these are....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-MAXXIS-35x12-50R15LT-6PR-M8060-Trepador-TIRES_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el12 47QQcategoryZ66473QQihZ001QQitemZ110260308983QQrdZ 1QQsspagenameZWD1V

BigDaveZJ
06-09-2008, 07:35 PM
http://www.maxxis.com/products/automotive/product_detail.asp?id=5477

:D

I wonder how loud and how road friendly these are....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-MAXXIS-35x12-50R15LT-6PR-M8060-Trepador-TIRES_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el12 47QQcategoryZ66473QQihZ001QQitemZ110260308983QQrdZ 1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Maxxis is really coming to market with some good products. The Creepies have always impressed me, as did the Bighorn's when I drove your rig last year. Right now the biggest issue is finding someplace close by that carries, and that will give me a road hazard warranty on them. The Trepadors are looking like a VERY good candidate for my next set of tires.

Mtn WJ
06-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Interesting. I will need tires at the end of the summer. I will look into the Maxxis as well. Anyone know where they are made? US?

BigDaveZJ
06-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Interesting. I will need tires at the end of the summer. I will look into the Maxxis as well. Anyone know where they are made? US?

Maxxis has its U.S. headquarters in Suwanee, Georgia, with other U.S. facilities in California and Texas. Internationally, Maxxis has facilities in Taiwan, China, Thailand, Japan, Germany, and Canada. Worldwide, Maxxis employs more than 15,000 people, with distribution in over 130 countries.

BFG's, and ginormous balls, got Putz up the right line on the creek obstacle on Cliffhanger. BB, 265's, and an Aussie. Pretty damn impressive IMO.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z36/pareichert/GSW%202008/gsw200800028.jpg

KevinF
06-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Yeah, when we have some time, I want to redesign that skid plate. We should have used 3/16" L bracket on that leg, rather than the 1/8" L, or even 1/4" material. It's the foot we use for the Rock Sliderz, and it was convenient to grab off the shelf when we were designing it the first time, and we just never dealt with upgrading the strength.

I think said "new design" will also be a 2-pc. design...both a crossmember and a skid, however, they bolt together, rather than being welded. And, it will cover most of the area left to right, rather than the area just under the t-case.

I'm sending Jim (FPKites) a new third-leg for free, and will be more than happy to do so for anyone else who has one that looks like the one in the photos.

On my own personal carnage, I only had a semi-bashed taillamp and a bent hard-line on my drivers side front brake (somehow). The Jeep never worked better with it's new height...everything was outstanding!!

All in all a GREAT trip!! I had more fun this year than I think any other year for some reason. Maybe it was all the great company?

Take great care you guys,
Kevin

fpkites
06-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Kevin, you're the best! Thank you! I was perfectly willing to pay for the support, as you may have seen in my email today. Thanks so much! I thought that skid had saved me before, then I saw that it really saved my ass on Cliffhanger. It's actually amazing how much you can thrash those things.

ArloGuthroJeep
06-09-2008, 11:40 PM
Back on topic here.

I was with the Golden Spike crew and Friday morning, probably a couple hours into the trip we were on Poison Spider and going over some giant speed bumps. The first one we hit (going just a couple mph) I heard a weird noise. Two bumps later I heard a giant clank and Tom Wood gets on the radio and goes something like "Wow I have never seen a driveshaft just fall out like that". It was actually my rear driver LCA pulling apart and the driveshaft slipped off as a result.

These pics are after I got home, cut off the trail welds, and rewelded them up. We were off about 1/2" on the length. Welded both sides.

Pics: http://www.arlojeep.com/Trip-Reports/GSW-08/Carnage-5-30-08/

http://arlojeep.com/Trip-Reports/GSW-08/Carnage-5-30-08/Weberized/IMG_0011_resize.jpg
http://arlojeep.com/Trip-Reports/GSW-08/Carnage-5-30-08/Weberized/IMG_0016_resize.jpg

AprilzWarrior
06-10-2008, 12:53 AM
All in all a GREAT trip!! I had more fun this year than I think any other year for some reason. Maybe it was all the great company?

Take great care you guys,
Kevin

Must have been, I too had a blast. Im not sure how many beers you fed me but I kept at it.

:D :D GSW 09 :D :D

zj95
06-10-2008, 01:00 AM
Tom Wood gets on the radio and goes something like "Wow I have never seen a driveshaft just fall out like that

Lmao, thats great:D

wannabe_offroad
06-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Carnage? Isn't this what skids are for?

And Putz, you got every minute's worth of effort out of that "16 hour skid" with your repeated attempts at that obstacle on Cliffhanger. You rammed on it like it was a beater, and throttled it like it had a bulletproof drivetrain. Your skid did it's job and then some.

Oh, I totally agree, but of course, it couldn't be my fault!! :D It really won't be that hard to fix. I do have to say that my KOR sliderz took a beating on this trip too (yeah, so maybe I am a little hard on my rig) and came through with shining colors!!!

.....those shining colors are the shiny steel that is now showing through after I scraped all paint off of them as possible.

I had a blast as well. Glad to meet some new faces and I'm REALLY looking forward to another GSW!!!

fpkites
06-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Finally got the chance to drop the tweaked support arm for my KOR TC skid - Thanks again to the KOR crew for sending me a new arm.

Old busted and new hotness :D

http://www.fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/GSW2K8/Carnage/TC_Skid/100_9460%20%5b1024x768%5d.JPG

http://www.fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/GSW2K8/Carnage/TC_Skid/100_9461%20%5b1024x768%5d.JPG

http://www.fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/GSW2K8/Carnage/TC_Skid/100_9463%20%5b1024x768%5d.JPG

I briefly tried putting the new one on last night, but I'll need to use a bottle jack to push the skid down a smidge and didn't have time.

ArloGuthroJeep
06-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Jim you're just going to run into the same problem as you did with the original one since the design didn't change. Replace that 1/8" angle iron with 1/4"...

fpkites
06-18-2008, 05:49 PM
1/4" angle iron will just mash further in to the unibody rail though. I'll have to get pics tonight, but the rail got mashed in a bit.

ArloGuthroJeep
06-18-2008, 05:55 PM
Install a 12" long section of angle iron then. Even Kevin thinks it should be 1/4":D

BigDaveZJ
06-18-2008, 05:55 PM
Only way to keep that from happening Jim is to spread the load out some more.

fpkites
06-18-2008, 06:18 PM
That's the other thing I was thinking of. What if I had the portion that goes up against the horizontal plane of the rail extended out a few inches on each side? Or should I extend both planes? I've got several inches of frame rail fore and aft without interfering with anything as long as I don't go outboard.

ArloGuthroJeep
06-18-2008, 06:32 PM
Like some 3" or 4" x 1/4" angle iron?

fpkites
06-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Spreading it out like that sounds like it would work pretty well. Not sure what I would do with the angle of the connection from the arm to the skid though.

ajmorell
06-18-2008, 06:50 PM
Dunno if you saw my note over on JF or not, but wait a few days and I'll be able to show you what JCR did to fix the problem for me.

fpkites
06-18-2008, 06:52 PM
Yup, I did see your note. Just tossing a bunch of ideas around in my head and on the boards.

ZJ TINS
06-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Jim you might just bolt throught the frame rail like I did. I took some huge hits and never bent like you (bottom plate still hit the transfers case).

I'll get some pics but I have a thread where you can make it out. You can also bolt through added plates on both side and its not gonna move ... ever.

I am gonna bend my bottom plate back to flat and either plate the bottom florr and run a bar up or triangulate to the rail to stiffen the plate from bending.
I think there is a reinforced area underneath I will be looking at also for tieing to.

ajmorell
06-19-2008, 01:08 PM
Yup, I did see your note. Just tossing a bunch of ideas around in my head and on the boards.

I just got off the phone with Brian at JCR. He said he just cut the old bracket off and welded a bigger one 1/4" on the end and bolted it on. I'm picking it up tomorrow so I'll snap some pics then so you can see how he bolted it to the frame rail.

ajmorell
06-19-2008, 01:09 PM
Jim you might just bolt throught the frame rail like I did. I took some huge hits and never bent like you (bottom plate still hit the transfers case).

I'll get some pics but I have a thread where you can make it out. You can also bolt through added plates on both side and its not gonna move ... ever.

I am gonna bend my bottom plate back to flat and either plate the bottom florr and run a bar up or triangulate to the rail to stiffen the plate from bending.
I think there is a reinforced area underneath I will be looking at also for tieing to.

I would be cautious running a bolt all the way through the frame rail. If you do that, put some type of plate between the bolt heads and the frame rail to even out the stress or those bolts will eventually rip right through the frame rail.

floridaZJ
06-19-2008, 09:34 PM
LOL, Dave you have quite the track record. Here Dave spotted me to smashing my skid into my t-case. Not to mention the time he spotted a tree into my driver door! :)

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g252/copbob/misc%20online/10-14-06Moab050.jpg

wouldn't you see a tree coming towards the door where you are sitting? We need more info on this one....dave?

BigDaveZJ
06-19-2008, 10:22 PM
IIRC the tree barely kissed his door handle. We were running Spring Creek and there's a little ledge in the trees that catches a lot of people off guard cuz it's about 100 yards up the trail from a faily long section of pretty nasty stuff so most people assume they're in the clear. On 31's open/open Ken couldn't quite get up it, and the line to get up it puts the driver side very close to a tree.

K2
06-20-2008, 10:15 AM
LOL It did just "kiss" the door handle, but to get off of it I had to crush the door. There was a big, I mean HUGE rock on the passenger side and in order to get around I had to drop into a hole on the drivers side. That flopped further than we both expected, and door handle met tree. I wasn't to concerned as the door was already smashed.