PDA

View Full Version : tool box selection

canadian_driver
05-21-2008, 08:40 PM
looking to get a large tool box, don't want to spend the few grand on like a matco or snap on, what do you have, how much room do you need. i've got right now 3 of those old school portable tool boxes and they are a pain in the ass to find crap in i might as well just stick my tools in a 5 gallon bucket

Ken L
05-22-2008, 08:39 AM
I have something like this but with a riser between the two sections. It's starting to get a little cramped for space though.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_009H0371000B?vName=Tools&cName=Garage+%26+Tool+Storage&sName=Chest+%26+Cabinet+Combos

midwestxj
05-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Don't know if you guys have Costco up there but they have some pretty nice toolboxes for around $800. There is also a thread on Pirate about good toolboxes http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=615111&highlight=toolbox

CurtP
05-22-2008, 10:30 AM
What is your budget? Are you opposed to used? You can find some really nice tool boxes on Craigslist if you're diligent. I have a buddy who scored a *HUGE* Matco box for just a couple hundred bucks. Its not the prettiest - it needs to be painted, but it works perfectly. I kind of wish I had gone that route myself.

I have a 40" Craftsman ball bearing 22-drawer combo (catalog number 95755) along with an intermediate and I'm out of room. I wish I had went with the 52" wide set instead (catalog numbers 59631 and 59629).

My recommendation is to get one that has drawers that have a positive catch (having the drawers open on you while you're moving it around sucks) and ball bearing slides. I replaced the two fixed wheels on mine so all four are casters which makes moving it around easier, but it really takes two people to move it.

ajmorell
05-22-2008, 10:38 AM
What is your budget? Are you opposed to used? You can find some really nice tool boxes on Craigslist if you're diligent. I have a buddy who scored a *HUGE* Matco box for just a couple hundred bucks. Its not the prettiest - it needs to be painted, but it works perfectly. I kind of wish I had gone that route myself.

I have a 40" Craftsman ball bearing 22-drawer combo (catalog number 95755) along with an intermediate and I'm out of room. I wish I had went with the 52" wide set instead (catalog numbers 59631 and 59629).

My recommendation is to get one that has drawers that have a positive catch (having the drawers open on you while you're moving it around sucks) and ball bearing slides. I replaced the two fixed wheels on mine so all four are casters which makes moving it around easier, but it really takes two people to move it.

x2 on the ball bearing slides and Craigslist. I see nice tool boxes on my local craigslist all the time at good prices.

Skyline
05-22-2008, 12:28 PM
X2 on Craigs list. I would also check eBay. Due to the fact that these things generally can not be shipped easily, you need to find one locally. You can order your eBay search results by "nearest first". I would still search for a Snap-on, Matco, Mac or Cornwell, as those are the nicest boxes. While I do agree that the ball bearing drawer boxes are nicest, it is hard to find even small ones for under $1k.

To give you an idea, I bought my double bank Snap-on box on eBay for $1400. That is for top and bottom box about 5' wide by 5' high, and about 20" deep. This is NOT a roller bearing box, but it was in near new condition. It also came with one bank locked (no keys) and about $200 of Snap On tools that were locked inside. Sold new for about $4500. Most used toolboxes sell for about 25-35% of new price if in near perfect condition. But I recently sold a set of older Snap On boxes (with ball bearing drawers) for $750, but they were in in ratty condition.

CurtP
05-22-2008, 02:39 PM
It also came with one bank locked (no keys) and about $200 of Snap On tools that were locked inside.

So you got a #2 Phillips screwdriver, a 1/2" socket and a 3/4" wrench? SWEET! :D

I want to like Snap On, but their prices are for the true baller. A set of six XZN drivers was $165.25 and I didn't even get the nifty little box to hold them. I bought an extra 8mm bit which was an additional $22.90. AND it is such a PITA to have to chase those fuckers down when you need to buy something and they seem to have an attitude if you need warranty replacement and you don't buy anything. It's got to be hell for the mechanics who buy the tools so they can make a living.

Skyline
05-22-2008, 03:21 PM
So you got a #2 Phillips screwdriver, a 1/2" socket and a 3/4" wrench? SWEET! :D

they seem to have an attitude if you need warranty replacement and you don't buy anything. It's got to be hell for the mechanics who buy the tools so they can make a living.

Not only do I buy most of my Snap On stuff on eBay, my 15yr old son has a eBay business buying collections of professional mechanics tools and selling them on eBay. So we get lots of broken Snap On stuff, and this does not make my local dealer too happy. So my Snap On guy suggested I send the stuff back directly to Snap On. I was happy to try, but as it turns out, unlike Mac or S-K, they will NOT do this. Seems kind of unfair to the local dealer, but it is part of the dealer's obligation to Snap On to take back everything broken that is under warrantee, (most hand tools forever, and most air tools within 1 year if you bought it from a dealer and you have a receipt). After I spoke to their regional sales manager about this, (and he spoke to my dealer), I do not anticipate any further problems with returns. Kind of wierd when Snap On has a fully functional web store. Another funny thing, if you spend too much on the web store, they will cut you off and send a dealer to you.

When you buy Snap-on stuff on eBay, and pay 30% or so of new price, it's not so bad.