PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys think about this as a daily driver?

piku303
05-19-2008, 01:32 AM
its a 97 VW jetta glx...meaning has the 6 cylinder. its a pretty quick car, 0-60 in 6.9 and it gets good gas mileage. from what ive heard a lot of jettas are notorious with electrical issues but the 6 cylinders didnt have as many problems. seems like a good price for a good car.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/682794204.html

LouisianaZJ
05-19-2008, 01:34 AM
chick car

AgitatedPancake
05-19-2008, 02:08 AM
chick car

x2.

redline61
05-19-2008, 02:35 AM
x3

But I'm sure it gets decent mileage.

Matt
05-19-2008, 03:56 AM
meh, I've driven worse. Go for it.

TrojanMan
05-19-2008, 04:24 AM
Good luck with VW is all I have to say. Every one that comes in my shop is a pain. They're hell to get parts for (both price and availability), usually aren't easy to work on, have electrical issues, and often require you to go to the dealership for things like transmission flushes. They're good from a driving standpoint but not from a maintenance/driving/practicallity standpoint.

midwestxj
05-19-2008, 10:09 AM
My wife and have a 99 Passat and the electrical is garbage. The memory seats don't work, climate control has been replaced, cruise control has been "fixed" six times. the list goes on and on. the major mechanical has worked out great for us, i actually couldn't be more happy with the way it drives and the milage we get after the car having 103K on the ticker.

Ted_Z
05-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Personally I wouln't buy a car that you can only get part for from the dealership. That means guys like audi, volvo, vw and bmw are out.

Domestics plus toyota and honda have good parts availablity.

Skyline
05-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Personally I wouln't buy a car that you can only get part for from the dealership. That means guys like audi, volvo, vw and bmw are out.

Domestics plus toyota and honda have good parts availablity.

I can't speak for most of those brands, but after owning a large number of BMWs I can tell you that there are quite a number of non-dealer parts sources for them. The best is that several companies sell OEM parts at much less than dealer cost. These are the exact parts BMW sells that are made by same manufacturer but do not come in a BMW box. There are also several BMW specific junkyards/dismantlers across the country. That said, I have sworn off BMW's due to their very expensive and frequently needed non-scheduled maintenence. My last few new cars have been Japanese and have been virtually 100% reliable by comparison.

scotch hanneman
05-19-2008, 12:20 PM
If you are buying a vw the 6 is the way to go for jetta's. If you ever have parts issues or anthing let me know.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
05-19-2008, 11:32 PM
I can't speak for most of those brands, but after owning a large number of BMWs I can tell you that there are quite a number of non-dealer parts sources for them. The best is that several companies sell OEM parts at much less than dealer cost. These are the exact parts BMW sells that are made by same manufacturer but do not come in a BMW box. There are also several BMW specific junkyards/dismantlers across the country. That said, I have sworn off BMW's due to their very expensive and frequently needed non-scheduled maintenence. My last few new cars have been Japanese and have been virtually 100% reliable by comparison.

Also very true for VW and Audi stuff.

There are PLENTY of places to get OEM quality parts.

CurtP
05-20-2008, 10:28 AM
its a 97 VW jetta glx...meaning has the 6 cylinder. its a pretty quick car, 0-60 in 6.9 and it gets good gas mileage. from what ive heard a lot of jettas are notorious with electrical issues but the 6 cylinders didnt have as many problems. seems like a good price for a good car.
I'd consider a VW depending on where it was built. If it's built in Mexico, no way. If it's built in Germany, then yes. But you'll have to learn how to drive like a douchebag. Here's my "drive like a douchebag" list: VW, Scion, Prius, 3/4-ton/1-ton pickups, Hummer, Corvette, Neon, Titan, and anything riced out. There are plenty more, but these never seem to come off my list.

That said, I have sworn off BMW's due to their very expensive and frequently needed non-scheduled maintenence. My last few new cars have been Japanese and have been virtually 100% reliable by comparison.
I've had no more issues with BMW than I have any other vehicle. The only maintenance I found that was expensive was dealer maintenance and that is pretty even across all dealerships regardless of brand. Most dealerships here charge in the neighborhood of $120/hr - even the domestics. It's all ridiculous, IMO, which is why I swing my own wrenches.

That being said, you'd never catch me driving an Asian vehicle. I just don't like them.

paulkeith
05-20-2008, 01:54 PM
They're good from a driving standpoint but not from a maintenance/driving/practicallity standpoint.

you're retarded. :flipoff2:

tywilson88
05-20-2008, 03:54 PM
vagmobile. maybe like 25mpg or something. i recently purchased a milage car. you should look into something with better parts availability. i just got a saturn, it is reliable, and i just got 38mpg on the last tank. and i ran a 16.1 quarter totally stock.

ZachJ
05-20-2008, 07:27 PM
My mom drives a 98 jetta and hasnt had any major problems. especially in the electrical department. the only thing that has gone wrong was a fitting broke and it started to leak coolant. i would get one.

TrojanMan
05-20-2008, 08:35 PM
you're retarded. :flipoff2:

screw that. i'm so sick of VW repairs I almost refuse to take them in.

jsteves
05-20-2008, 09:12 PM
vagmobile. maybe like 25mpg or something. i recently purchased a milage car. you should look into something with better parts availability. i just got a saturn, it is reliable, and i just got 38mpg on the last tank. and i ran a 16.1 quarter totally stock.

Seriously? Saturns are way more chick mobiles than Jettas. I have had a lot of Audis and never seem to have serious issues.

cLAYH
05-20-2008, 11:15 PM
I've owned a few VWs and one Audi. NAPA was alway able to supply me VW parts same day on common stuff(brakes, tuneup etc) usually next day on less common stuff. Prices were not bad, more than domestic but I never had to do very much on them. Been thinking about getting a VR6 for commuting.

Audi was a different story, very expensive and always 2+ days away and something was always broke.

piku303
05-21-2008, 01:16 AM
you guys may call it a chick car but its got the same 0-60 as a 5.9.

Or i could get this salvage titled IS300 with 45k miles for $3900 bucks

http://www.ebiz-kmm53233.com/i/fsbo-s/2004/lexus/is300/

Skyline
05-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Seriously? Saturns are way more chick mobiles than Jettas. I have had a lot of Audis and never seem to have serious issues.

I would feel a whole lot safer in a Jetta than a Saturn. I was riding a fire engine that unfortunately broadsided a Saturn a few years back. It looked like someone had dropped a giant size Revell plastic kit from 1000ft up. The car literally shattered. The road had to be closed for an hour to pick up all the pieces.

Skyline
05-21-2008, 10:24 AM
you guys may call it a chick car but its got the same 0-60 as a 5.9.

Or i could get this salvage titled IS300 with 45k miles for $3900 bucks

http://www.ebiz-kmm53233.com/i/fsbo-s/2004/lexus/is300/

That's a really nice option. Low milage, and very good reliability. The problem is that it's been in a bad accident. It did not get a salvage title by itself. In this situation that title probably means an insurance company totaled it in an accident. It's good that's it's been disclosed, but if it were me, I would never want a car that's been hit that hard. It is a rare thing these days to find a body shop that's so good that you can't tell if a car's been hit and repaired. And if the 'frame" of a unibody car is bent and pulled back, it will never be 100% right.

And one more thing. That car will not get anywhere near the milage of the Jetta. You would be lucky to average around 20-22mpg with that. But it has a MUCH higher fun factor than the Jetta.

tywilson88
05-21-2008, 12:25 PM
ha, yes, so that means i will get alot of chicks...

jk i know its ghey

paulkeith
05-22-2008, 03:18 PM
i guess I could actually provide legit input.

my cousin has a jetta, which had the sunroof drain tubes (or something) clog. This then flooded the back seat, and fried the PCM. somewhere in the process something else got trashed, and it now eats PCMs.

for what its worth.
Paul

CurtP
05-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Similar issues could happen with any vehicle that has a sunroof. Clogged drains, IMO, is neglect. One of the very first things I checked on the new toy.

Tommy
05-22-2008, 11:53 PM
chick car

Not nearly as bad as what I am driving right now. Rocking an 89 Suzuki sidekick.

indy242003
05-23-2008, 01:30 AM
Not nearly as bad as what I am driving right now. Rocking an 89 Suzuki sidekick.

WOW! Now that's something uuhhhhhh, right there. Yep, Sidekick and rocking in the same sentence.

Seroiusly,
The way gas is right now I'm gonna start hoofin' my fat ass to work!

sah81
06-01-2008, 12:23 AM
Yeah, it cost me $90 to fill up my ZJ the other day. I've been riding my motorcycle to work every day for the last 2 years. I commute 21mi each way, and with gas prices, my VFR800 pretty much pays for itself. My ZJ averages about 15mpg and my VFR averages about 40mpg. I used to have an SV650 and it got about 50mpg but the VFR is a lot nicer on the highway and it has a bigger tank.

piku303
06-01-2008, 03:11 PM
i went ahead and bought the V-dub. i got it from the guy for 2 grand cause the VW dealership said it needed a 2 thousand dollar repair of the abs pump and module!! however after research ive discovered that it can be repaired for much cheaper by myself. he didnt tell me until we were about to buy it that it had a cat back and chip, and i saw the cold air under the hood. now im really excited. its very quick. now i just need to learn to drive stick:D i will post up some pics and vids as soon as i learn to drive it like a non douche...well that might be impossible according to curt. and you may call it a vagmobile, but i would take a broken down, busted ass VW over a saturn any day ty:cool:

CurtP
06-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Very quick? :spit:

Welcome to the world of douchebaggery :smt082

piku303
06-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Very quick? :spit:

Welcome to the world of douchebaggery :smt082

:smt022
i bet its faster than your DD

tywilson88
06-02-2008, 12:29 PM
i went ahead and bought the V-dub. i got it from the guy for 2 grand cause the VW dealership said it needed a 2 thousand dollar repair of the abs pump and module!! however after research ive discovered that it can be repaired for much cheaper by myself. he didnt tell me until we were about to buy it that it had a cat back and chip, and i saw the cold air under the hood. now im really excited. its very quick. now i just need to learn to drive stick:D i will post up some pics and vids as soon as i learn to drive it like a non douche...well that might be impossible according to curt. and you may call it a vagmobile, but i would take a broken down, busted ass VW over a saturn any day ty:cool:
thats cool... enjoy yourself with that.

CurtP
06-02-2008, 01:41 PM
:smt022
i bet its faster than your DD

All of my vehicles are daily drivable. I'll tell you what - I'm going to be moving to Georgia before too long. Let's line them up on a Friday night T&T. Loser pays the entrance fees for the track. I'll bring either the shortest or the longest duration of ownership vehicle I have and we'll see how you fare. I'm an autocross nut too - want to see who has the FTD at an event?

And believe me when I say this - VW drivers are douchebags. I don't know if it's the blue glare of the dash at night or if every VW has an exhaust leak or that ya'll think it's "just like a Porsche" that makes you guys retarded. I'm glad the Audi and Porsche guys aren't like that...

J B
06-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Curt, I think the Audi and Porsche guys are douchebags too....just a different kind. It seems like about 80% of the drivers of any car that's semi-expensive are douchebags. Hang around on any forums for cars that cost $50k+, and you'll probably see that.

CurtP
06-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Curt, I think the Audi and Porsche guys are douchebags too....just a different kind. It seems like about 80% of the drivers of any car that's semi-expensive are douchebags. Hang around on any forums for cars that cost $50k+, and you'll probably see that.

Hey now - you're throwing a wrench into the works. I wanted to prove how huge my e-cock is and you've gone and ruined it :mad:

I believe the general rule is anyone on the road, other than me is a douchebag. Cost of the vehicle is really irrelevant. Douchebaggery has no boundaries.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled pissing match :D

nate
06-03-2008, 11:14 PM
What's the location on that IS300? That looks like my old roomates car. Looking at the mileage and damage listed as well. He was T boned on the pass side and it got fixed. He traded it in afterwards.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the IS300s are anything too special.

sah81
06-04-2008, 03:54 AM
I don't know if it's the blue glare of the dash at night or if every VW has an exhaust leak or that ya'll think it's "just like a Porsche" that makes you guys retarded. I'm glad the Audi and Porsche guys aren't like that...

It's the flower holder on the dash...that's gotta be it:poke:

CurtP
06-05-2008, 07:56 AM
It's the flower holder on the dash...that's gotta be it:poke:

That's on the New Beetle n00b.

J B
06-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Hey now - you're throwing a wrench into the works. I wanted to prove how huge my e-cock is and you've gone and ruined it :mad:

I believe the general rule is anyone on the road, other than me is a douchebag. Cost of the vehicle is really irrelevant. Douchebaggery has no boundaries.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled pissing match :D

No, you're confused. Everyone on the road is a complete dumbass with his head up his ass.

Add in the superiority complex of owning an expensive/rare vehicle, and that results in the douchebaggery* you speak of.

*Ricer douchbaggery is a seperate concept on its own and will only further complicate this discussion, thus its explicit exclusion from the thread.

piku303
06-05-2008, 08:59 AM
No, you're confused. Everyone on the road is a complete dumbass with his head up his ass.

Add in the superiority complex of owning an expensive/rare vehicle, and that results in the douchebaggery* you speak of.

*Ricer douchbaggery is a seperate concept on its own and will only further complicate this discussion, thus its explicit exclusion from the thread.

ricer douchbaggery results from mexicans thinking that a body kit thats glued on and about to fall off adds to the performance and aesthetics of their vehicle.