PDA

View Full Version : If you thought my jeep was too bling bling your really going to hate my new rims

haymaker
05-15-2008, 03:18 AM
picked up this set of canyons locally for a good deal. by steelies just aren't going to cut it on the new setup when its done so I got these and decided to throw a little paint on em.

I was originally just going to paint the gray parts black and leave the spokes silver but due to some badly placed corrosion I decided to paint the spokes black instead.

Kind of a risky move at first because I knew the other way looked sweet but I have to say I am extremely pleased with the way these turned out. What do you guys think?
BEFORE:

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p255/juggy426/Picture2410.jpg

and after:

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p255/juggy426/Picture2408.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p255/juggy426/Picture2409.jpg

sorry about the crappy quality cell phone pics

piku303
05-15-2008, 03:34 AM
honesty it doesnt look that bad there. id really have to see them mounted in a tire and on the car before i could say theyre hideous

fpkites
05-15-2008, 08:59 AM
I really do think that's interesting. I'm with Pikachu - we need to see some tires mounted on them.

2jeepsforus
05-15-2008, 09:58 AM
I like the fact that they aren't all glossy. The flat black appearance is a welcome change to bling central..

Mount those biatches up and we shall see if they are gay..

phillyzj
05-15-2008, 09:59 AM
I may change my opinion when they are mounted but i don't think they are too bling i just don't like them.

radar95zj
05-15-2008, 11:10 AM
i dont think they look tooooo bling bling

jsteves
05-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Not bling, just ghey.

JordanA
05-15-2008, 12:15 PM
JU----->

They don't look terrible. I've seen this done with the snowflake wheels and they turned out pretty nice.

haymaker
05-15-2008, 12:42 PM
lol. Well thanks for takin it easy on me guys. For all the people that thought they looked good. Thank you very much. Painting these wheels was a shit ton of work.

Unfortunatley you probably won't see these mounted on the jeep for a while. These wheels are for my new coopers, but those won't be going on the jeep until my axle swap is done and I have a good alignment on the thing.

buuuuut in all honesty I probably won't be able to resist mounting them up and throwing them on just to see how they look. I did have my friend hold one up to my wheel now and I have to admit......it did look fuckin sweeet! I think you guys will like the look.

I'll try to get somethin up sometime for you guys. Maybe tonite I will have some higher quality pictures because they look even better in person, the cell phone camera really doesn't cut it

haymaker
05-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Here is a mock up of the wheel on the tire. I just set the wheel on the tire, its not actually mounted yet but it gives you a pretty good idea of how it'll look.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p255/juggy426/Picture2417.jpg

then here is a close up of the spokes, little blurry sorry
about that.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p255/juggy426/Picture2419.jpg

dangerousdave
05-15-2008, 04:47 PM
i like them. I think the look of your jeep will make or break them though.

5.9 ANDY
05-15-2008, 04:58 PM
they look cool.

haymaker
05-15-2008, 07:40 PM
thanks everybody! I take back some of the mean things I said in my other thread lol! You guys aren't so bad after all! :partyman:

CurtP
05-15-2008, 07:42 PM
White letters in. NEVAR out.

Z
05-15-2008, 08:50 PM
White letters in. NEVAR out.

Especially if you have black wheels.

fpkites
05-15-2008, 09:55 PM
:withstup:

If you mount them white out, you will forever be branded a douche-fag :D

sevenslats
05-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Did you use masking tape?

Cue-Ball
05-15-2008, 11:37 PM
Came out GREAT!!!

tywilson88
05-16-2008, 12:33 PM
no white! and how much time did you spend masking?

ZJ TINS
05-16-2008, 01:17 PM
I am waiting to see the purple leds in the offset holes.

Also I hope those were not mounted, the look like 25" tires on those rims in the picture.

haymaker
05-16-2008, 01:56 PM
lol thanks for letting me know its gay to have the white side out. I'll make sure to keep that in mind when I get them mounted.

no white! and how much time did you spend masking?

Did you use masking tape?

yes I used masking tape and it took forever to mask them. I'd say about an hour per rim. Had to lay the tape down then CAREFULLY cut the edges with a razor blade.

I am waiting to see the purple leds in the offset holes.

Also I hope those were not mounted, the look like 25" tires on those rims in the picture.

you'll be waiting a while if you want to see LED's because they ain't comin! The tires are 31x10.5x15 btw. they weren't mounted either I just set the rim on top of the tire to take the picture

ZJ TINS
05-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Ah to each there own, seriously though they remind me of the old matchbox cars, all their rims look like blacked out 5 point stars just like what you did. Wonder how long paint will last, I gotta do something with mine, the clearcoat's peeling and the oxidation looks like frack.

Jeeperoni91
05-16-2008, 05:05 PM
look like some of those like freedom edition or whatever they are WJ's with black/silver rims on them stock

OverkillZJ
05-16-2008, 06:06 PM
I prefer white letters out, ya'll can STFU!

2jeepsforus
05-19-2008, 02:30 PM
I think the rims look good... and the whole white letters thing is just preference... it depends on the vehicle

JordanA
05-19-2008, 05:20 PM
Ah to each there own, seriously though they remind me of the old matchbox cars, all their rims look like blacked out 5 point stars just like what you did. Wonder how long paint will last, I gotta do something with mine, the clearcoat's peeling and the oxidation looks like frack.

Looks like someone has been watching Battlestar Galactica.

OWL sucks. Definitely mount them blackwall out. You won't regret it, or have to clean the fraking letters to keep them white.

haymaker
05-20-2008, 03:11 AM
Well I got them mounted and balanced today. I specifically said white letters IN. But when I went to pick them up they were mounted with the white letters out. I didn't say anything and I wasn't even really pissed even though I was pretty clear about it. I think it will look allright. I had a set of these coopers on my old XJ too and they had the white out. Always seemed to hold up fine and look decent. ah whatever.

zj95
05-20-2008, 03:13 AM
/lies

CurtP
05-20-2008, 09:50 AM
Yep lies. I negative rep'd your ass just because you put the while letters out.

tywilson88
05-20-2008, 12:40 PM
pics of mounted tires

haymaker
05-20-2008, 12:57 PM
jesus you guys are some conclusion jumpin to mofo's! Sorry guys no lies, I honestly could care less weather you agree with what side letters I have facing outward. If I wanted the white out I simply would have been like welp fuck you guys I like white out. I have no need or desire to cover up anything lol.

buuuut thats not how it happened and I didn't lie about it but go ahead and think I made up a silly story to impress you guys. Maybe I lied about painting these wheels myself too. Maybe I bought them like this. Yah that has to be it!

tywilson- I'll get you some pics later today good sir

Jeeperoni91
06-09-2008, 11:10 PM
rims look cool, want to see them on the jeep though before final decision

zj95
06-09-2008, 11:16 PM
LMAO

Its so funny how butthurt no0bs get after a seemingly harmless comments

ILikeMud
06-10-2008, 08:46 AM
:worthles:

tywilson88
06-10-2008, 12:18 PM
10 days short of a month... where the heck are the pics.

haymaker
06-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Hey sorry about the delay shits been pretty crazy here for me lately. The weathers been crazy and I've been scramblin to find a new shop to do my 8.8 swap for me. If anybody close by wants to help me with my project I'll trade em my briarwood plus maybe a little more haha.

anyways I went and snapped this pic today. Obviousley they are still not on the jeep but heres what they look like mounted and balanced. its raining again today so theres some water on the wheels in this picture.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p255/juggy426/Picture2429.jpg

MotoX5874
06-12-2008, 10:30 PM
i kinda like those tires...

and ps, get some razr 2's for w/e is in the background :)

fpkites
06-12-2008, 11:08 PM
Put some Krylon on 'dem white letters! :finga:

I like the way the rims turned out - make sure to keep us posted on how it holds up.

haymaker
06-13-2008, 12:37 AM
i kinda like those tires...

and ps, get some razr 2's for w/e is in the background :)

yeah thanks, I really liked them when I had them on my xj, we'll see how good they treat me with the zj now. and btw razr 2's are on the top of my list when these klaws are finely worn out! thats just my dang old 416ex. its got a bunch of work done to it but she can't keep up with the 450's nowadays. I pretty much gave up on the jumping and racing thing anyways and let me tell ya she makes a hell of a woods quad! you can see my POS predator behind the tires in the pic too.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p255/juggy426/1101071729.jpg

everybody else thanks for the kind reply's, when I get them on and stuff i'll be sure to let you guys know all about them

Four Play
07-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Not a bad look. As a personal preference I probably would have shot them the same color as stock but to each his own.

White letter out preference... I was rodding before wheeling so white letters out for me (probably more so out of habit than anything else). If I had to make the choice again I'd go white in, Bleach White doesn't play nice w/non-clearcoat aluminum wheels.

haymaker
12-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Gott-damn this thread is old now lol. Well my axle swap is coming along much slower than anticipated and after getting stuck in a snowy ass ditch because my bald terrains just barely didn't have the traction to claw me out I decided to throw the new wheels and tires on today. This is the only (read: shitty) picture I have for now but I'll try to take some pictures with my good camera tommarow in the day light.

BEFORE:
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p255/juggy426/Picture152.jpg

AFTER:
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p255/juggy426/Picture150.jpg

FortCollinsZJ
12-15-2008, 04:25 AM
I like the look a lot. Just not the white out.

IndyZJ
12-15-2008, 04:57 AM
I, too, call BS on the whole white out thing, based on the BFGs :D

Rims on the other hand look decent. If you're going for the black thing paint the bumper covers, too. If you care that is.

haymaker
12-15-2008, 05:21 AM
Dude, the bfg's were on it like that when I got it. No BS either I swear. I think the white out looks fine, I wasn't going to bitch about it and risk messing up my spray painted wheels having the tires taken off and put on again. The dude charges 10 bucks a tire, I can't expect too much. I was happy with them and the guy obviously did a good job balancing them so I'm not one bit pissed about it. In fact, now I'm glad they are white side out just so they can piss you guys off! LMAO:finga::D:D

But seriously thanks I'm glad you guys like em, I'm definatley pleased with how they turned out. The coopers feel great too. They ride nice and smooth and they are even quiet as hell! I forgot how quiet these things were when they are new. My bald terrains made a lot more racket than these do. Its great to finally have traction again, and the jeep just drives a lot smoother with not so worn out tires. Now I just need to get my friggin 8.8 done!!

Anyways heres one more crappy picture, the weather here latley has been rediculous. It was cold and icy yesterday, warm (50 to be exact) and rainy today, and now its like arctic cold outside with -15 wind chills for tommarow! Needless to say getting a good picture hasn't been on my priority list.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p255/juggy426/Picture153.jpg

as for painting the bumper covers, I thought about it, but I just want to get some steel bumpers in the future and didn't think it would be worth the hassle to use the herculiner on my bumpers too. It kinda sticks out I realize but honestly I'm not too worried about it. It will match when it gets upgraded.

Z
12-15-2008, 09:32 AM
If you're going to wheel (especially in rocks), I'd have stopped the black paint about an inch from the edge of the rim - the paint would be less likely to get scraped off. Then again, I suppose it's just black paint so touch ups should be easy.

haymaker
12-16-2008, 04:54 AM
If you're going to wheel (especially in rocks), I'd have stopped the black paint about an inch from the edge of the rim - the paint would be less likely to get scraped off. Then again, I suppose it's just black paint so touch ups should be easy.

Don't know how well they will touch up. considering all the layers of primer under the black and all the layers of clear over it. Not really any rocks to wheel over here in IL. Mostly just wooded trails and what not. I realize they won't stay perfect forever but its a daily driver that also sees some offroad time so hopefully they won't get beat on too bad. Seem to have been holding up to the deep icy snow and all the road salt pretty good so far tho. I never really managed to chip the paint on my old rims so I'm hoping these will fair similarly well, although I know once the rear end is locked I'll be a lot more adventurous!

CurtP
12-16-2008, 10:16 AM
No rocks? I'm guessing you've never been to the NW part of the state.

Jeeperoni91
12-16-2008, 05:07 PM
i think the rims will look better if you take off the windsheild visor thing. that shit is ugly

haymaker
12-16-2008, 07:36 PM
No rocks? I'm guessing you've never been to the NW part of the state.

I live in the north central/north east part of the state. Right on the IL/WIS border. Not many rocks around here that I have seen, including my many MANY years riding quads around here. Either way its not built to be a rock crawler its more of an expedition vehicle.

i think the rims will look better if you take off the windsheild visor thing. that shit is ugly

yah yah I know its ugly/ makes my jeep look like its wearing a hat. Its only on there because my roof lights make a horrible horrible glare on the windshield without it. The glare is so bad that it makes the lights pretty much useless. Now I can see super far to make sure theres no deer waitin to jump out at me! Personally I don't think it looks that bad in person, but it could be painted bright pink with an airbrush of 2 guys buttfuckin on it and I would still run it so I can use my roof lights

TrojanMan
12-16-2008, 08:55 PM
I hope you bought the TJ canyons and not ZJ.

VirginiaJeep
12-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Those wheels look good. They kind of go along with the same theme as your headlights. I find that the part between the spokes (on my canyons) are the hardest part to keep clean. They collect the most brake dust and grime. If you can keep them clean, to keep the light part shining, I think it's awesome.

haymaker
12-17-2008, 12:02 AM
I hope you bought the TJ canyons and not ZJ.

Honestly I don't know what they are off of. Whats the difference? backspacing?

Those wheels look good. They kind of go along with the same theme as your headlights. I find that the part between the spokes (on my canyons) are the hardest part to keep clean. They collect the most brake dust and grime. If you can keep them clean, to keep the light part shining, I think it's awesome.

Thanks a lot, I do have a lot of black accents on the jeep right now which definatley helps. I don't think they would look quite as good on the jeep when it was all green and stock. The black grill, lights, sides, controversial visor and hopefully soon black steel bumpers keep the black theme going. Thanks for the info on the brake dust, I can definatley see that happening so I'll keep an eye on em. Have you guys ever seen the "no more dust" wheel cleaner they sell at advanced auto parts? I use that stuff on my mustang wheels and it works awesome. I'll probably give these a dose of that when its time to clean them!

Jeeperoni91
12-17-2008, 12:16 AM
Adjust the lights and move them possibly ?backwards? to stop the glare. You could mess with the position until they don't glare anymore

TrojanMan
12-17-2008, 12:31 AM
ZJ canyons are 15x7
TJ canyons are 15x8

emncfi
12-17-2008, 12:48 AM
Just a newbie here, but I think you did a great job on those rims.

ZJones
12-17-2008, 01:12 AM
Black out! Especially with a rim that has black on it. The wheels look great, good job.

haymaker
12-17-2008, 02:28 AM
Adjust the lights and move them possibly ?backwards? to stop the glare. You could mess with the position until they don't glare anymore

Tried all that with little to no success. I like my visor I'm just gonna keep it

ZJ canyons are 15x7
TJ canyons are 15x8

Damn never knew that. I didn't even think to measure the width before I had them mounted. They don't appear to be bulged so I think they will be ok. They're only 10.5 wide (the tires I mean)

Thanks to everybody for the compliments, really makes all the work and the wait worth it! Thanks!!