PDA

View Full Version : Carnage Database Idea

SirFuego
05-13-2008, 03:56 PM
OK so here is an idea I've been having in light of some recent threads. Some people say that 35s on a dana 30 is fine, other say it isn't. Many people post based on web-wheeling "knowledge" and it's often difficult to sift through the real shit and the bull shit. There are so many variables that come into play when stuff breaks, so maybe something that could correlate these variables together would be helpful.

So what I want to do is compile a real, no bull shit database of carnage on the trails. Each user would enter in rig information, mods, etc (which would be saved for each user). Users can enter "Trip Reports" for trips they go on. Then they can enter "Carnage Reports" for information pertaining to the carnage (type of terrain, trail it happened on, parts affected, etc) and perhaps add in photos or videos. The amount of information you could extract from this I think would be really helpful.

Wouldn't it be interesting to be able to review "carnage" reports" to see under what conditions an axle broke?

Or that those running 35" tires on a dana 30 that only broke 1 axleshaft in 10 years actually only wheeled Y times?

Or that if you are running chromolloys that you are X% less likely to break a shaft, but Y% more likely to bust a ring and pinion?

Something like this would be able to bring out the real similarities...

EDIT: None of this is targeted at anyone specific either. Even when someone posts about a first-hand scenario on the Internets, it's often difficult to put most of the details into context.

OverkillZJ
05-13-2008, 05:30 PM
I think everyone said 35's on a 30 is fine depending on your driving style, and the 3 of us that have wheeled a whole fawkload said that if you lock it, it will eventually break, period.

There, first addition to your database!

The problem with your databse idea is it ends up with the same heresay of the threads and can only be as good as the input. (Garbage in, garbage out.) Many of us rarely even put up pictures of trips, let alone track what we broke when, and how...

OverkillZJ
05-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Then again it could be fun...

piku303
05-13-2008, 07:34 PM
the threads and can only be as good as the input. (Garbage in, garbage out.)

oh no does that mean somebody would have to moderate this?! i doubt people would put in false info. i think the cardinal rule is that you can not enter information unless you witnessed first hand the carnage and are aware of all the vehicle stats...ie axles, engine, tcase, tranny, terrain.....

BigDaveZJ
05-13-2008, 07:37 PM
i think the cardinal rule is that you can not enter information unless you witnessed first hand the carnage and are aware of all the vehicle stats...ie axles, engine, tcase, tranny, terrain.....

That's supposed to be one of the staples of this forum, although some people don't seem to care.

dangerousdave
05-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Not hating here but if you use the search function you can find some of this stuff. The big thing is like Matt said, the tread would only be as good as the data put into it. I think it would be fun in a way though. It would be a great place for people looking at budget ideas to see where others cutting corners have paid the price for it.

SirFuego
05-14-2008, 12:20 AM
I think everyone said 35's on a 30 is fine depending on your driving style, and the 3 of us that have wheeled a whole fawkload said that if you lock it, it will eventually break, period.
I agree with you 1000%.

The idea of the database is to separate fact from opinion. Everything posted on the Internet needs to take the poster into consideration. The unknowing person might take 20 opinions, 17 of which say that a 35's on a locked dana 30 will be "fine" with some occasional problems, 3 of which say to not do it (which may be the ones with the "real" experience).

Now (assuming proper use of the database -- i.e. no garbage in), one could query it to find out that of 100 people with a similar setup, 95 broke a shaft and average of every 1.5 trips (just making up numbers to make a point). Well, that immediately suggests that it's much more than an occasional problem based on cold hard fact and not people's opinions.

The main goal of this idea is to prevent opinion and only focus on fact.

This is not meant to undercut any efforts or to discount any forums. I go on MallCrawlin quite a bit because bullshit isn't tolerated here, but it's still sometimes difficult to put everything in context when you are taking opinions from people you don't know in person or haven't ever wheeled with.

The more I've been thinking about this idea is that it's going to be a whole shitload of work and is totally reliant on people actually entering in information. That last part is obviously the deal breaker -- garbage (or nothing) in, garbage out

cLAYH
05-14-2008, 01:08 AM
Running 31s on a D30 that was a DD I was going thru unit bearings like crazy, about one every 6 months. Tried all different brands never seemed to matter much although I did have a cheapie go out in 2 months. Can't imagaine what 35s would be like. Plus the brakes were marginal at best with the 31s and D350/35 combo. Rolled backwards more than once while pushing a hard as I could on the brake pedal.

SirFuego
05-14-2008, 09:45 AM
The 35s on a dana 30 was meant to be used strictly as an example, and was not intended to spark any discussion on that particular topic :D

OverkillZJ
05-14-2008, 09:51 AM
You mention a "30" it's going to go that route!

SirFuego
05-14-2008, 09:55 AM
You mention a "30" it's going to go that route!
Touché

OK so another example, what about locking a dana 35 with 33s? :D

OverkillZJ
05-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Don't start that!

LMAO

PassRunnerZJ
05-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Wouldn't you be wheeling ahead if you spent the time building the axles the way you intend to wheel or wheeling the way your axles are built? Statisticaly speaking, yes it would be cool to know, but we all know that we build what we can afford and then upgrade as we break. Well most do.