PDA

View Full Version : Checklist for GSE 2008

SirFuego
05-12-2008, 07:59 PM
So I'm copying the GSW guys with this one.

What needs to be done on your rig before heading down to GSE?

My list is long, but it's gonna get done!
- 8.8 brackets
- Measure/buy new shocks
- Muffler/exhaust
- SYE/driveshaft (already ordered, just need to wait for 8.8 to go under to measure for it)
- Tires (ordering sometime this week)
- Tweaking after test run at a friend's rock garden
- Ideally fix rust in the floorboards

MoonWorks
05-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Good luck with your list. There's always crap to do on my rig but would I'd like to do and will do are two different things.

-Change diff fluids (really hard one)
-Rotate tires (wow)
-Fix a little rubbing issue in the front
-Make brackets and install ram for hydro assist (new pump and box are already in)
-weld up antenna bracket as its starting to crack

That's about it besides getting gas and put in on the trailer. However, it usually gets gas while its on the trailer now! :)

Obviously, I'm pretty much ready to run now I guess. I need to look over everything since I got back from icebreakers. I haven't touched it since 2 days after I go back a robin made a nest between the pumpkin and the coil sping on the driver font. Laid 4 eggs a day or two later and I feel bad about detroying the nest now so I'm hoping they will hatch and run off w/in the next week. I want to do stuff on the jeep. And need to make sure I didn't break/crack anything that I don't know about yet.

However, I think I have more to do on Shadows rig than I do on mine. His rig alone will need/have done.

-WJ knuckles swapped
-WJ brakes
-New 1 ton steering made
-break down arb and find out why it only worked for 3 hrs on the last run

I think that's it...he will add to/correct me soon enough. :)

OverkillZJ
05-13-2008, 12:41 AM
Wellll I know I said I was going to build the new buggy and not wheel the old ZJuggy any more, but I lied (itching to wheel sooner rather than later, and the samurai has turned into a hell of a build in itself.)

Just spent the last 6 hours fabbing a new UCA mount to replace the crap I broke last year, this one is reinforced with 1/2" plate and uses poly bushings to absorb shocks.

Other than that, need to change fluids, filters, fab new bump stops, and get coils w/ a lower spring rate for the rear coils, and add a little bit of tube. Should probably replace the slip yoke on the front shaft and ujoint / yoke considering it's still just welded together from last years disaster.

BLK97ZJ
05-13-2008, 01:35 AM
Wellll I know I said I was going to build the new buggy and not wheel the old ZJuggy any more, but I lied

Nice maybe i'll get to see you wheel it this time.:smt023

Shadow
05-13-2008, 07:59 AM
However, I think I have more to do on Shadows rig

Don't you mean we!!!:flipoff2:

I guess I will just drop it off Friday at 12 ish and go to the beach!:)

by the way don't forget to fix the drivers rear UCA mount and do it right this time!!!!!!!:smt047

SirFuego
05-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Wellll I know I said I was going to build the new buggy and not wheel the old ZJuggy any more, but I lied (itching to wheel sooner rather than later, and the samurai has turned into a hell of a build in itself.)

I was waiting to hear that. Once I heard about you getting the 4 link conversion for the sami, I knew it was only a matter of time before the buggy was back on the trails. Is it going to be ready for the test run this weekend at the car show?

OverkillZJ
05-13-2008, 10:29 AM
Yep, as long as I get the trailer and buggy done (I'm working my ass off this week to make it happen) I'll be wheeling it Sunday! I'll be hitting it pretty hard at the car show to test it ;)

1fox2go
05-13-2008, 01:50 PM
I wish I could make it, I can only take off for icebreakers and the main jambo. My vacation accrual Its a bit on the slow side.

But if work gets slow maybe they will take volunteers to take off of work without having to use vacation. Maybe, it would be nice

MoonWorks
05-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Don't you mean we!!!:flipoff2:

I guess I will just drop it off Friday at 12 ish and go to the beach!:)

by the way don't forget to fix the drivers rear UCA mount and do it right this time!!!!!!!:smt047

Pardon! Thanks for correcting my grammer error. :)

And I did it right last time...you just broke it again! :(

Silverback
05-13-2008, 10:21 PM
- I gotta get a new spare tire first (I hit something on the interstate a couple weeks back, there's now a gash in one of my tires big enough to fit my hand thru)
- finish replacing the front brakes
- replace leaky oil pan gasket
- a good "once over" to make sure it's ready for the trail

...then I'm ready to pack. I'm out of town all of memorial day weekend so that gives me only one more weekend between now and GSE if I counted correctly.

Hope to see you all there.

BLK97ZJ
05-14-2008, 12:18 AM
All i have left to do is
-finish up the tire carrier,
-front swaybar mounts
-longer bump stops
-steering stabilizer

OverkillZJ
05-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Build new UCA bracket... DONE! Need to cut off the old one, and weld on the new one now.

OverkillZJ
05-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Crap, adding to my list.

I put the buggy over at full throttle yesterday, and somehow managed to blow the PSC steering pump... again. Looking into other options, because there's no reason for this to happen so often.

MoonWorks
05-18-2008, 02:36 PM
So you were just reving it and the pump blew?

ILikeMud
05-18-2008, 03:02 PM
No he flopped the buggy at full throttle showing off.

What about AGR or Performance Off-Road Matt?

slim616
05-18-2008, 05:32 PM
I think my list is as follows
-fab skids for 8.8, TC
- bleed brakes
-weld last rock rail on
-install 8.8 spool
- weld up new UCA for rear when the parts come in.
I think that should just about cover it to get her down the trail for her maiden voyage. Hopefully not to many parts will fall off.

OverkillZJ
05-18-2008, 06:54 PM
No he flopped the buggy at full throttle showing off.

What about AGR or Performance Off-Road Matt?

I'll look into it, might just try a stock style 1ton pump that should bolt up to my current setup. All I know is the pump I have on the Buggy is almost identical to the one on the Suburban, and the Suburban's lasted 250,000 miles, while the buggies has lasted about 10 ;)

OverkillZJ
05-18-2008, 06:56 PM
So you were just reving it and the pump blew?

I spent a lot of the day bouncing off of the rev limiter; but it's not like the tires were pressing up against rocks and the system was overheating. I can't figure out why this would cause the pump to give out; again. Last time the shaft broke, I called that a defect. This time, it just stopped moving fluid until rev'd over 2,000. Makes no sense to me, but I'll consult those that know hydro more than I do. Changing the fluid and checking the check valve resulted nothing but the same...

SirFuego
05-19-2008, 07:33 PM
So I'm copying the GSW guys with this one.

What needs to be done on your rig before heading down to GSE?

My list is long, but it's gonna get done!
- 8.8 brackets
- Measure/buy new shocks
- Muffler/exhaust
- SYE/driveshaft (already ordered, just need to wait for 8.8 to go under to measure for it)
- Tires (ordering sometime this week)
- Tweaking after test run at a friend's rock garden
- Ideally fix rust in the floorboards
8.8 brackets are on! Going under the ZJ tomorrow. Also ordered some trxus mts. I wimped out and only went with 33s...

OverkillZJ
05-20-2008, 09:24 AM
My steering pump is off and getting shipped to Karl at PSC, he thinks I blew a ring on it when I flopped it full throttle; whatever that means!

Need to wheel... Different year, same crappy but fun buggy, and bringing a girl who hasn't been in the rig yet, I think I should start with Insanity again don't you? :finga:

Shadow
05-20-2008, 10:57 AM
I think I should start with Insanity again don't you? :finga:

Did you J-B weld the crap out of the passy UCA bracket? If so your golden. :-D

OverkillZJ
05-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Did you J-B weld the crap out of the passy UCA bracket? If so your golden. :-D

Haha, no, I built a new one out of 2x4" 1/4" box, 1/2" plate, and an old Claytons rear upper (for the bushing sleve.)

It could be designed better, but I did what I could with what I had before the event on Saturday!

OverkillZJ
05-20-2008, 11:18 AM
My steering pump is getting sent to PSC for repair today, other than that, I also am adding some tube to the front around the windshield area (even though I don't intend to wheel this for more than another year.) - safety stuff, and passengers need something to hold on to. Also adding a fluids / tool box so I'm not so naked on the trails tool wise!

OverkillZJ
05-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Safety harnesses are fixed... Were mounted in a way that the shoulder straps never worked for thin folks. 175 rate coilovers are now on, think I fixed the leaky diff cover with a hammer, and I started to mount a tool box.

MoonWorks
05-28-2008, 10:54 PM
and I started to mount a tool box.

I'm suprised you never had a tool box on there in the first place. I couldn't imagine not having tools, spairs, etc.

Got the abs pump pulled the other night. Need to bend the new lines and plumb everything out. Finish my switch panel. Tranny fluid change and if I'm lucky...check out the brakes on the tow rig. Finishing the abs pump removal is the only have to though. Looking forward to it. Everything except the cost of fuel to get there.

OverkillZJ
05-29-2008, 10:13 AM
I hear you on the fuel. My GF can no longer get Friday off of work, but I'm not going a day late to miss a day of wheelin' and spend the same on fuel, so she's driving seperately now!

Her arrival in her Nissan 350Z to that campsite and shitty roads should be entertaining on Friday night. I'm probably going to go pick her car up at the entrance with the flatbed.

I don't see this driving into the camp well:
http://www.autoplanet.co.uk/nissan350z.jpg

As for the toolbox: I usually just strapped down a crafstman box, most of what breaks ont he buggy aren't things tools fix, haha.

MoonWorks
05-29-2008, 11:44 AM
I went to bigdogs in sept 06 w/out my rig. Drove up there in my VW r32 and made it up to camp. It was interesting to say the least. Everyone kept asking me...how the hell did you get up here in that thing? Only scraped once and that was on the bump that I never considered a speed bump before in camp 3.

But yeah...picking her up wouldn't be a bad idea. There's a little parking lot right past the main house where she can park her car. I wouldn't go through the hassle of loading it, and unloading it just to move it 100 yards up the mountain.

SirFuego
05-29-2008, 11:46 AM
33s are mounted with the Stauns.

Steering is getting machined tomorrow night. The tie rods are slightly overkill. I love it.

MoonWorks
05-29-2008, 02:37 PM
What size tube is that? 1.5 w/ .5 wall?

SirFuego
05-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Yes, I believe so.

OverkillZJ
05-29-2008, 04:18 PM
I went to bigdogs in sept 06 w/out my rig. Drove up there in my VW r32 and made it up to camp. It was interesting to say the least. Everyone kept asking me...how the hell did you get up here in that thing? Only scraped once and that was on the bump that I never considered a speed bump before in camp 3.

Rear wheel drive, and about an inch off the ground, it's not making it! I took an Audi A6 in once, but that was AWD and had no issue. Her Z has trouble on clean flat gravel let alone dirt hills.

SirFuego
06-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Steering and front trackbar are pretty much ready for wheeling. SYE and rear driveshaft are going in tomorrow.

Ordering shocks tomorrow. Should be wheelable once the shocks go in after a bit of tweaking. It's crunch time...

MoonWorks
06-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Jeep is ready to go. Shadow came over yesterday and helped me bleed it all out so that's ready.

The tow rig...went to figure out what my braking problem is. Found the driver front caliper has a broken bleeder screw. So who knows what the previous owner did I ended up breaking a couple tools including an easy out trying to remove it. Looks like I'll be getting a new caliper today for it damn it.

OverkillZJ
06-02-2008, 10:45 AM
I've never been able to get a broken bleeder out, no matter what I try.

I didn't get anything done this weekend, ended up going out of town, so now I'm in rush mode again.

SirFuego
06-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Fuck overnight shipping from CA to NY...

OverkillZJ
06-02-2008, 11:49 AM
What size / kind of shocks do you need? I probably have some you can borrow for the weekend, haha

SirFuego
06-02-2008, 12:00 PM
I just bent over and paid the money. I told Eric to order them before I changed my mind....

MoonWorks
06-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Who's ready?

Tow Rig...
-Just finished installing a new master cylinder
-Adjusted the rear drum brakes
-Installed new driver front caliper
-Removed, cleaned and repacked driver front wheel bearings (waiting for the seal to come in for me to finished this up. So once that comes it...toss it in and assemble everything.
-Then I need to bleed everything out again and I should be good here.

ZJ...
-Just need to change the front diff fluid
-Check the trans fluid (maybe flush)
-There's other little things I'd like to do but none of them keep me from running so I should be good here as well.

OverkillZJ
06-03-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm hurting for time.. posting this from the garage, waiting for storms to pass through so I can keep welding on my new uber UCA bracket, but now I'm having beadlock problems, my DIY locks are destroying my Iroks to the point I don't want to run them after this event, but I need to get them to hold air.

I was going to wrench all weekend... and all day yesterday, and all night tonight, but you know, i got distracted by the fairer sex (who is now not even coming)

slim616
06-03-2008, 09:51 PM
got the tc skid plate welded up. At 3/8" thick I guess I wont have to worry about it bending. Just have to fill the TC and rear diff with fluid and should be good to go.

MoonWorks
06-03-2008, 11:19 PM
So, I just came in from finishing up on the tow rig. Or what I thought would be finishing it up.

Did everything mentioned above but still have a pedal that falls. Its solid as hell when the trucks turned off but once you start it...the pedal will fall. Bad booster maybe? No vac leaks by the way.

1fox2go
06-03-2008, 11:25 PM
only thing left would be swappin the booster?

it will either fix it or not but i understand the situation, im sure they are pricey

BLK97ZJ
06-04-2008, 12:32 AM
All I have left is make a TC skid.... in the rain tomorrow :mad:

MoonWorks
06-04-2008, 12:44 AM
it will either fix it or not

Wow...thanks for the tip! :)

1fox2go
06-04-2008, 01:38 AM
I try, you can only do so much after some drinks haha

SirFuego
06-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Passenger Seat: Hi, Jared, would you like to sit on me for GSE?
Jared: Nah, I was planning to drive.
Driver Seat: Hahaha, fuck you.
Jared: Oh, umm, Passenger Seat... Looks like I'll be sitting on you this weekend.

slim616
06-04-2008, 09:15 AM
preppi I'm having the same prob in the jeep right now after running all new brake lines and found whats causing mine is small leakes here in there. They would only leak when pressed super hard. Brake would be hard for a few uses then slowly begin to work its way to the floor then I would shut it down and you couldn't push the peddal down at all.

OverkillZJ
06-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Passenger Seat: Hi, Jared, would you like to sit on me for GSE?
Jared: Nah, I was planning to drive.
Driver Seat: Hahaha, fuck you.
Jared: Oh, umm, Passenger Seat... Looks like I'll be sitting on you this weekend.

WUSS!

Just got your message, was at the GF's w/out a charger and the phone died.

If shocks is the biggest concern, I have shocks that will work, and frankly since you're towing it, wheel it without shocks if you need to, just get it there you pussy! :D

SirFuego
06-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Shocks are not my biggest concern to be honest.

The rear has retarded flex and needs limited badly -- and I stress "badly". People weren't joking when they said that triangulating the shocks improves flex. Too bad the extra flex seems to go way past any usability.

Even flexing it to where limiting straps would stop the flex, the rear tires were rubbing badly on the lower part of the inner fender in the rear and would have chewed up the tire. I was able to pick up some wheel spacers from DieselZJ and that seemed to resolve that issue. I'm not gung ho about wheel spacers, but that seems to be my only choice since I don't want to drop the benjamins on a super 88 kit just yet.

I also picked up DieselZJ's old 7" springs to see if that would at least temporarily address the need for limit straps -- but no dice.

That said, I got the work done at my buddy's shop since he is a good friend and a perfectionist. He would not let anything out of his shop that he didn't feel confident with. While the issues I described above probably could be resolved by Thursday, we wouldn't be able to test it enough to where he would feel confident letting me take it on a trip 8 hours away. I trust and respect his judgment. I'd say there is still about a 1% chance I could still be taking it. But I'm coming down regardless.

MoonWorks
06-04-2008, 09:55 AM
There's no way in hell I'd wheel w/out shocks. I busted a rear shock one trip and the back end got bouncy...the next trip I busted the other rear shock and it was pretty bad. I still had a good trip but it wasn't a ton of fun to wheel. So SF...take overkills shocks if that's all you need.

Slim...I'd love it if it was only a leak. I've had it on my garage floor which was clean and no drips anywhere. And before I started working on the brakes, the fluid res never when down which it should if I'm leaking.

MoonWorks
06-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Being comfortable with taking your rig on an 8 hr drive is different that putting it on the trailer and wheeling it. Granted...wheeling is hard as hell on the steering though. So what steering issues are you having?

And I thought you were on short arms still. I didn't think short arms, 7" springs and retarded flex were used in conjunction with each other. :)

OverkillZJ
06-04-2008, 10:03 AM
If it comes down to shocks and bumpstops, get here with the rig as early as you can on Thursday, DMG and MF Steve's shop is a mile from my house (2 miles from 79) and they owe me a few favors, and between the 3 of us, we have enough spare parts to build a couple Jeeps, haha.

SirFuego
06-04-2008, 10:36 AM
My rig is on Clayton's now with a HP30, 8.8, and high clearance rear brackets on 4.5". Other than a jaunt around the parking lot in front wheel drive and no rear shocks, the thing hasn't been driven at all with the lift and axles. As for the steering, one of the tie rods needs redone, but that is getting fixed tonight. There are a lot of "little" things that still need to be done to the rig, so we'll see what happens.

JordanA
06-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Well guys, It looks like we MAY actually make it down! Today the fenders get cut because I got a great deal on some 35's (Dunlop Mud rovers, 80% tread). Frankly, I don't see my Jeep surviving the trip.

Beerman
06-04-2008, 01:56 PM
everything is just about done.just have to bleed the brakes.

preppi stay off the forum and fix your shit.you always wait to the last minute to do things.:)

OverkillZJ
06-04-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm almost ready! sunburned from tacking so many things, all that's left is install the new (used waterproof) CB, reassemble beadlocks, load it all up and pack.

Oh, and watch the Pens win!

SirFuego
06-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Overkill, I'll give you a call later tonight (probably during an intermission) after I talk to DieselZJ about when we are leaving.

Oh and I'm definitely riding passenger. UPS decided to "downgrade" from two-day to four-day shipping on my rear driveshaft after it accidentally got re-routed from Kentucky to Texas. So I only have a front wheel drive ZJ right now :rolleyes:

MoonWorks
06-04-2008, 03:10 PM
everything is just about done.just have to bleed the brakes.

preppi stay off the forum and fix your shit.you always wait to the last minute to do things.:)

Yeah right...nothing is ever done on your rig.

And I'm the one waiting until the last minute!? Lets see...why weren't you there in april and still working on your rig now? B/c you haven't touched a thing on that piece since sept when you trashed it (again). And you still aren't getting there until friday night now! :(

And Jordan...if you do come...I would recommend that you run with the stock guys. It would be a great breakin for you and if you're having that many problems now...it might not be the best option running with the other group. Some think of stock as straight up stock...trust us when we say that they run much more than most would ever think of.

And Overkill...what do you plan on running this event?

OverkillZJ
06-04-2008, 03:30 PM
I plan on running... well shit I have no idea, I'm just showing up and picking LOL.

JordanA
06-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Matt, we may bring the Silver ZJ and run with the stockers if my parts dont come in by thursday/friday. If we get there and my better half decides her ZJ is too nice to risk body damage, we may just ride along with some willing drivers.

Anyone going to have a few extra seats?

MoonWorks
06-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Most of the grands there are in pretty good shape. Some have a few dents, scratches etc and only beermans looks like beermans! :)

But again...most of us still don't want body damage. If you bring the wife's...you should atleast run it for a day. Even if you're part way through the day and you've had your fill you can bail and go back to camp if you want. There are generally bypasses on a lot of stuff as well if you choose.

And BTW...fuck my tow rig. I just went and got another mc (new) not reman, benched it and tossed it in. Blead the hell out of everything and the pedal still falls. I've got vacum from the pump and the booster is fine. Fuck if I know. Time for a shower now.

So I've got a buddy that was going to ride shotgun with me that is now going to tow me up there. So I'll still be there tomorrow.

OverkillZJ
06-04-2008, 06:21 PM
There's not a scratch on my rig! :finga:

bruce
06-04-2008, 08:18 PM
well here comes the rain to keep the dust down

see everyone tomorrow

OverkillZJ
06-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Done...

I don't know what's wrong, I've never been ready for an event 20 hours before leaving... need to pack tools and food, that's it, holy cow! WOOHOO!

slim616
06-04-2008, 09:42 PM
started loading the truck out today. Have just about every spare part you can think of plus all tools including torches, welder ect. For fri and sat me and my girl will both have open right seats if needed. As for groups how we breaking them down. I would like to run 4 or 5 trails on fri and sat then I was going to run the pennsakintuckian trail on sunday whick I think is a 8.

MoonWorks
06-04-2008, 10:50 PM
I haven't seen an actual rating for penntuck. I want to say its something dumb like a 7d or something but not sure. I haven't been on it before but from what you can see from the "main road" it should be an 8. Their rating system isn't spot on and it hasn't been updated in years. Up camp 8 is still rated like a 2 or 3 on the scale but its all sorts of eaten up now. The only 8 rated trail I've seen there is gulch.

If ya'll want to run with the grands...the "stockers" will hit 4's and probably a 5 or two on friday. Friday is a harder run for the stockers and generally easier the rest of the weekend depending on what everyone wants to run the rest of the weekend. Int kind of usually does the opposite since we usually always come in on a trailer and want to last the weekend. Int will be running 6-7's for the most part.

Sudz
06-05-2008, 12:38 PM
loadin' the heep now - headin' out by 2:00 http://dnbforum.com/images/smilies/speedbanana.gif