PDA

View Full Version : GSE 2008 - June 6-8

Shadow
05-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Who's going, who's not?

SirFuego
05-05-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm hoping to make it this year. Hopefully I'll be on something bigger than 31s by then. I'd be coming down with a group of local friends who will be on 36"+ tires for Spring Fling, so I'll probably stick with the GSE crew for the wheeling.

BLK97ZJ
05-05-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm going. Hopefully a few others too.

MoonWorks
05-06-2008, 12:31 AM
So not only have there always been quite a few east coast guys on here but there seems to be an influx of guys signing up and posting a lot over the last few months. However, no one's posting up or even showing interest in GSE. So what's the deal? We did have a better turn out last year than the past few but what gives? To be honest, I think we had more grands in Sept than in June last year.

Anyway, its always a good time and bigdogs is always a great place to wheel and party.

So..........Who's ready and who's almost ready? I'd also like to hear what everyone wants to run. Years ago we had 3 groups. "Stockers", intermediate, and advanced. We haven't had an advanced group in years and we usually only have 3-4 in the intermediate group. And I say "stockers" b/c its much more than stock.

Yes, I will be there....intermediate. So Beerman, get your shit together and guide!

MoonWorks
05-06-2008, 12:33 AM
I'd be coming down with a group of local friends who will be on 36"+ tires for Spring Fling, so I'll probably stick with the GSE crew for the wheeling.

So what...running with the grands are second choice to you. I figured that would be one of the major attractions of coming to this event!

It would be nice to have some new faces here this year. Along with all the old ugly mugs as well! :)

SirFuego
05-06-2008, 10:37 AM
So what...running with the grands are second choice to you. I figured that would be one of the major attractions of coming to this event!
It's a damned if I do, damned if I don't type thing. I'll get shit from my friends if I go down there and don't wheel with them. I'll get shit from y'all if I go down there and don't wheel with you :)

I'll be locked F/R on 4.5" LAs by then.

Put me in for intermediate. If I'm on 33s by then I'd be interested in doing advanced if that is considered large enough. If "advanced" is meant for buggy type setups on like 36"+ tires, then I wouldn't want to be a trail plug.

MoonWorks
05-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Put me in for intermediate. If I'm on 33s by then I'd be interested in doing advanced if that is considered large enough. If "advanced" is meant for buggy type setups on like 36"+ tires, then I wouldn't want to be a trail plug.

We haven't had an advanced group in years. But the advanced runs would be tough on 33's. There are plenty of buggys on ~40's that I see run the trails that our advanced group would run and lets just say they loose a tire here and there in some of the holes that present themselves on the trail.

SirFuego
05-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Ah OK. I just wasn't sure how crazy "advanced" really was.

Intermediate sounds just fine to me :D

MoonWorks
05-06-2008, 12:17 PM
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12724

Check out Overkills pics on post #2.

Its all good though...I was just giving you a hard time. Feel free to run what ever you want but its always good to hang out, wheel and party with new grand guys.

SirFuego
05-08-2008, 02:33 PM
So I take it that those attending will be paying the "ridiculous" fee of $10 to camp there for the weekend?

MoonWorks
05-08-2008, 02:41 PM
So I take it that those attending will be paying the "ridiculous" fee of $10 to camp there for the weekend?

Keep going...it's $25 that's listed on the site but I know I paid $27 a couple weeks ago at icebreakers. That's if you pay cash. If you use a credit card when you get there...it's a $2 (I think) fee that they charge you as well.

SirFuego
05-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Yeah I can't friggin read anything today. I'm glad I'm not a newbie. I'd probably be flamed out the wazoo for the dumb posts I've made today :)

The $10 is for kids under three feet tall. Still, I'm not complaining about paying $35...

MoonWorks
05-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Yeah I can't friggin read anything today. I'm glad I'm not a newbie. I'd probably be flamed out the wazoo for the dumb posts I've made today :)

The $10 is for kids under three feet tall. Still, I'm not complaining about paying $35...

Its $25...not $35. lol You still can't read! :)

So..............anyone else in?

SirFuego
05-08-2008, 10:43 PM
I can read just fine :D

Big Dogs Grand Slam East, Winchester VA
June 6-8 2008

Applications for online registration for the Grand Slam East Event for 2008 is NOW OPEN

GRAND SLAM EAST EVENT AGENDA (http://www.bigdogsoffroad.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&ceid=33)

Download the registration form and select your trails from the
2008 Trail Ride page (http://http//www.bigdogsoffroad.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&ceid=14)

SIGN UP ONLINE HERE (http://www.bigdogsoffroad.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&ceid=34)
NOTE: FOR WINCHESTER events there is a $35.00 per person, land use/camping fee for this event. Kids less than three feet tall, independent of age, are $10 per weekend. Includes trail access, campsite, hot showers, rifle range, hiking, fishing, use of grounds. Paid on site. Hotel Accommodation information can be found HERE (http://www.bigdogsoffroad.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&ceid=15).

BIG DOGS OFFROAD provides experienced trail guides, plenty of action, and a good time with good "wheelers". Limited number of vehicles at each event, first-come-first served. Open to licensed 4-wheel drive vehicles, we have plenty of rugged action for you. BIG DOG T-Shirts Sold at each event.
http://www.bigdogsoffroad.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&file=index&func=display&ceid=6&meid=6

SirFuego
05-08-2008, 10:54 PM
So I have another question :smt116

What do we put down for the "Trail Choice" portion on the registration form? Looks like it's really only relevant for the spring fling folks, so is it safe to just put "GSE" in those boxes?

DieselZJ
05-08-2008, 11:08 PM
I'm going

MoonWorks
05-09-2008, 04:12 AM
Fuego...thanks for correcting me on the camping fee. Its usually 25 and was a couple weeks back so I thought you were quoting me and not the site.

With the trail selection. If it will allow for text...sure, GSE in the boxes would be fine I guess. You're looking to run an intermediate type trail so if GSE won't work than I'd put like a 6 in each of the boxes. They need to get more guides for the 5-7 runs anyway. They just use that as an idea on how many will be there and how many guides they need for what.

Diesel...good to have you.

thunderchooch
05-09-2008, 12:23 PM
I signed up a few days ago but am also going with a group of at least 3 or 4 TJ's. I haven't been on this site in a while and have never been to Big Dogs. Guess I'll see you guys out there.

OverkillZJ
05-09-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm a maybe, not sure if I'd be taking the ZJ buggy or the samurai, probably whichever is destroyed less at the time!

Those pictures were from the trail Big Dogs calls "INSANITY" - I don't care how big or how good of a driver you are, you're not taking a Grand with sheet metal through there... That was on my run with Black List Wheelers Association, not the grand crew, but it was nuts! I think 3 vehicles of the 10 or so that were on that run drove out in one piece...

SirFuego
05-09-2008, 12:55 PM
I don't care how big or how good of a driver you are, you're not taking a Grand with sheet metal through there...
Haha! Yeah I sorta figured that from looking at the pics. I supposed if someone did, there wouldn't be much sheetmetal left anyways!

Preppi -- thanks for the info. I'll fill it out with the those ratings and submit it later today.

DieselZJ and I will probably be heading down together (with others from Buffalo) on the Thursday before. Map says to go through Pittsburgh, so we might be able to meet up with peeps along the way if they are interested in convoying...

OverkillZJ
05-09-2008, 01:02 PM
If I'm going, I'm down for a convoy! I guess I should say I plan on going, just a matter of one of the rigs being wheelable at the time.

MoonWorks
05-09-2008, 02:02 PM
I'm a maybe, not sure if I'd be taking the ZJ buggy or the samurai, probably whichever is destroyed less at the time!

They're both a piece of shit...so pick one! In fact...bring both and maybe you can make it through a whole weekend. :)

OverkillZJ
05-09-2008, 02:04 PM
You could bring me a bigrig car-hauler full of buggies, and with my luck, they'd ALL be disabled and/or destroyed by the end of the weekend!

Only one fits on my trailer, probably only bringing one, but there is the possibility of having a friend drive the sammy down to have a spare, LMAO

bruce
05-09-2008, 02:20 PM
do not worry about trail selection,,,we grands will take care of that.

Preppi,,,thanks for answering questions for me,,,I am traveling too much,,,still on the road for another 2 weeks. Already logged over 50k airline miles since 1 jan and still going

Bruce

SirFuego
05-09-2008, 02:57 PM
do not worry about trail selection,,,we grands will take care of that.

Thanks, Bruce! I just put "GSE Intermediate" in the trail selection boxes.

Just paid via paypal and submitted my registration form. Once I get the confirmation e-mail, I'll be golden :D

MoonWorks
05-09-2008, 08:17 PM
BRUCE! Long time to see/talk to. Beerman and I were talking the other day and wondering if you got sent overseas or not. Glad to hear from you and hope to see you in a few weeks.

SF...you don't even have to be that detailed as we line up seperate from everyone else at the event. As Bruce said, we pretty much do our own thing.

slim616
05-12-2008, 12:49 PM
I'll be there, not sure which rig i'm going to have though.

DieselZJ
05-12-2008, 06:07 PM
I Just got my confirmation email, so I'm all set to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MoonWorks
05-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Hells yeah...looks like it will be a good turn out this year after all.

Silverback
05-13-2008, 10:00 PM
I'll plan on being there too....running intermediate.

I have a good size list of things to do first - but I'll make it a priority after turkey season is over (this weekend).

Oh yeah, one other thing....this may be better suited for a new thread if others are interested, but all my GSE t-shirts are getting old - any chance we could get some new ones this year? I know we stopped getting them when attendance slacked off a couple years back and we couldn't commit to a large enough order. I'm in for 3 if we can get more this year.

Lookin forward to it!!!

phillyzj
05-14-2008, 08:02 AM
Hmmm i might be able to make it, i hadn't seen any information and kinda forgot about it. I will have to look at my schedule, and of course keep the tow rig running...ugh.

MoonWorks
05-14-2008, 09:42 PM
)
Oh yeah, one other thing....this may be better suited for a new thread if others are interested, but all my GSE t-shirts are getting old - any chance we could get some new ones this year? I know we stopped getting them when attendance slacked off a couple years back and we couldn't commit to a large enough order. I'm in for 3 if we can get more this year.
Lookin forward to it!!!

Yeah...I second that. The only GSE shirts I have are from '04. Of which I also got in '05 b/c of left overs. :)

So, I would love to have a new one. However, bruce is the one who organizes all that and he's been in the air traveling more this year than he has been on the ground. He's posted here once about gse thus far so lets see what he's got to say about it. If it's a green light...there's a couple issues. It's VERY close to GSE to do it first off. Secondly, we'd need a new logo/photo for the shit w/ a new design.

slim616
05-15-2008, 07:20 AM
if we could come up with a logo it would still take 10 days or so to make it happen. I could try to get the shirts made up wich would cost around 8.50 a shirt but the set up fee would be around a $100. Let me know what you want to do and i'll talk to the guy that does my company shirts.

MoonWorks
05-15-2008, 06:00 PM
I'd love to see it happen but I feel like it's too close to make it happen.

Silverback
05-15-2008, 08:01 PM
I'd love to see it happen but I feel like it's too close to make it happen.

Yeah, me too...unfortunately.

Still, I can hardly wait...really looking forward to it!

gtsom6
05-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Count me in on one too, I'll be there sitting on 35's so maybe I can save the underside some this time. And 2 thing's, I won't be last and won't follow shadow again hahaha. preppi, did shadow get the arb fixed? We'll see ya all down there.

MoonWorks
05-16-2008, 12:12 AM
We think all it was was the royal purple fluid he put in it had limited slip additive in it. There are no leaks anywhere and everything is in right. ARB asked him to check to make sure it didn't have the additive and it did so it seems to be working. We'll find out for sure soon...should be this weekend. As we're building his steering, swapping in the wj knuckles and brakes etc. If we get done early enough and aren't too drunk by then we'll test it somewhere local. But it works great on jack stands now... :)

slim616
05-16-2008, 10:07 AM
worst case senerio on the shirts if you all really want one and I can sell enough to cover the cost of getting them made, I could just mail them to you. This way we have a little more time to get a cool logo together and get them made.I'm guessing the cost per shirt would be around 13.00 shirt if we could sell 20 of them. This would be 8.50 for the shirt and $5.00 for the set up fee. ($100 divided by 20 shirts) If we could sell more shirts the set up fee per shirt would go down.

Which camp are you all staying in? I'm normally in 6 because its easy to get my camper 2 tow rigs and everyone elses suff in the field without a real hassel. Also I will be heading down thur night from the baltimore area if anyone is comming from that direction.

SirFuego
05-16-2008, 10:35 AM
You can put me down for a shirt if they get made. XXL (or XL if that's the biggest size). Let me know the price. I would offer to design it, but it would probably look like stick figures in a stick Jeep. Art was never my thing...

Out of curiosity, what did the previous logo look like?

EDIT: I'll be in whatever camp they put me and my friends in. I've never been there, so I have no idea where I will be. DieselZJ and I are coming down in his dually towing both of our rigs, so I would assume we need some extra room. Recommendations for a camp?

OverkillZJ
05-16-2008, 10:38 AM
If you tell them you're with GSE, they'll put you in the GSE camp. I'm not sure if I'll be camping with GSE or BLWA, but probably GSE!

slim616
05-16-2008, 10:44 AM
which camp was gse last year? Sirfuego when you get there you can actually tell them what camp you want to be in. Also their real leanant down their, so if you don't have enough room in the one camp you can move and no one will say anything to you. I'll be in 6 either way just because i do all the cooking for the club i'm in, since I got the camper and grills and stuff.

MoonWorks
05-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Camp 4 is where we were last year (and most other years) but we were stuck in 3 one year and it sucked. If we can't all get into 4 then I"m going to camp 5. Which is where I've stayed the last 2 trips out there. 4 and 5 are my two favorites...don't like 6 but it is super easy to get in and out of. Hopefully Bruce will contact the campground and have know what camp ground we're in and post up before we all leave like he has in the past.

I'll be down thrusday at some point as well.

MoonWorks
05-19-2008, 12:45 AM
In case a few of you want to see a few pics...I stole some links from few guys from the past couple years.

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m308/DRBemis/Grand%20Slam%20East%20-%202006/

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m308/DRBemis/GSE-2007/

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v118/emilee225/gse/

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v172/silverbackwj/Grand%20Slam%20East%202006/

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a4/Skyclad696/GSE%202005/

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a4/Skyclad696/GSE%202006/

http://rides.webshots.com/album/554276162PELwIi

And even a couple of videos

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/vapilotda/GSE%2006%20Video/

Got a little carried away with the links...there's quite a few out there.

phillyzj
05-19-2008, 05:56 AM
On second thought i can't commit to coming down, too much going on around that weekend.

JordanA
05-19-2008, 10:47 PM
I've got two ZJ's we're thinking of bringing down, but they're both running SA's and 32's. I figured that puts us in the "stockers" category, but are there many rigs that run in that group with similar specs? I just don't want us to be the only ones on the friggin trail!

slim616
05-20-2008, 09:08 AM
my girl runs on 32's and i'll be running with her for the first day or two so your more then welcome to ride with us. Probly sunday if the rig hasn't fallen apart i'll try the harderstuff to see what I can break.

MoonWorks
05-20-2008, 11:03 AM
I've got two ZJ's we're thinking of bringing down, but they're both running SA's and 32's. I figured that puts us in the "stockers" category, but are there many rigs that run in that group with similar specs? I just don't want us to be the only ones on the friggin trail!

That's probaby about an average build in the "stock" group. There is usually a few on 30-31's and 1-2 on 33's at times. We've got guys locked w/ LA's run the stock group before. Its all in how comfortable you are with your rig and how much wheelin experience you have. You'll have a good time either way. But in general, most have a better time if they are within they're "comfort zone" meaning they aren't breaking/denting their shit all day. Not saying you can't do that in the stock group but more likely the more you step up.

OverkillZJ
05-20-2008, 11:16 AM
I am REGISTERED! WOHOO!

I have this idea of running Insanity again, but since I think I'll put the rig over again, I won't run it first!

Shadow
05-20-2008, 11:29 AM
I'll be there sitting on 35's

what are you doing with the 33's. I might be interested. Were they for 16's?

The locker seems to be actin' right now, we'll see! The steering probably won't happen. I had a head space and timing issue. When I was redoing the tapper I grabbed the drag link end instead of the tie rod end and ended up sinkin' them way to deep. Getting the knuckles will be no problem but I still have a clearance issue. I guess I could just get the WJ tie rod and drag link for the time being so I at least have the brakes and knuckles installed! I really want to get the 1 tons on, those things look twice the size of the stock crap.

JordanA
05-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Sounds good Matt. We're still debating which place to go, so we'll see. When does registration close?

MoonWorks
05-20-2008, 09:20 PM
Sounds good Matt. We're still debating which place to go, so we'll see. When does registration close?

It doesn't really. You could show up on saturday and probably still get in.

Beerman
05-24-2008, 04:12 AM
It doesn't really. You could show up on saturday and probably still get in.

Just show up and we can sqaure everything up then.

MoonWorks
05-27-2008, 12:22 AM
Only one weekend left! I've still got a couple things left to do. What about everyone else?

BLK97ZJ
05-27-2008, 12:37 AM
I'm doing good. just a few things left to tweek. Depending on who/ how many of my friends come is whether or not I ride with the GSE group.

OverkillZJ
05-27-2008, 09:03 AM
Only one weekend left! I've still got a couple things left to do. What about everyone else?

I've been adding to the list while I fix other things... Changing the harness mounting points, swapping in a lower spring rate for the rear, etc. Now I have leaking outer seals on the tow rig I need to repair too.

EDIT: I'll be there on time, cancelling my trip this weekend for more wrenching. GF might not make it due to sick family members, too bad, flipping girls in the buggy is my relationship test.

SirFuego
05-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Tires are getting mounted today! (33" Trxus MT)

The ZJ still needs steering, a track bar, sye, rear driveshaft, and shocks. Steering and track bar are custom, so hopefully they will work out as planned. Tie rods are hopefully getting machined today.

I'm planning to come down whether I have a wheelable rig or not, though.

OverkillZJ
05-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Is your caravan coming down 79? Depending on when I might join up with you.

bruce
05-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Camp - Camp 4 should be a go,,,as long as we don't get too much liquid sunshine the week before the event.

T-shirts,,,damn,,,let me see what I get get together. i may be able to pull it off, since the printer would be coming out anyway,,,will let you know.

Sorry to all about my lack of posting,,,2 weeks to go,,,I better check out my truck

SirFuego
05-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Is your caravan coming down 79? Depending on when I might join up with you.
I would think so. That seems to be the quickest way. I'm pretty sure that I will be coming down on Thursday and we will probably want to get there before dark. I'll give you a call as it gets closer.

JordanA
05-27-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm almost done. I've got new shocks arriving this week for both of the grands, a new shear track bar for the front of the 96, and new springs in the front as well to level out the truck. Skid plates and sliders won't be in for my 96 in time, but they should be mounted on the 97 by the weekend.

DieselZJ
05-27-2008, 06:16 PM
I still need to build a rear bumper and finish my front bumper, and install my CB. Most likely none of those jobs will get done, so i'll just fill up the tank, pack up the tools and spare parts, and go:)

MoonWorks
05-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Camp - Camp 4 should be a go,,,as long as we don't get too much liquid sunshine the week before the event.

Sorry to all about my lack of posting,,,2 weeks to go,,,I better check out my truck

Its bigdogs...it's going to rain! I've never been there yet w/out it raining atleast once. And yes, check out your zj and make sure its good to go. What is it...3 events I can recall now you getting there and not even running your rig? :(

I'm almost done. I've got new shocks arriving this week for both of the grands, a new shear track bar for the front of the 96, and new springs in the front as well to level out the truck. Skid plates and sliders won't be in for my 96 in time, but they should be mounted on the 97 by the weekend.

Glad to hear you decided to go Jordan. I thought you would end up at Uwharrie.

I still need to build a rear bumper and finish my front bumper, and install my CB. Most likely none of those jobs will get done, so i'll just fill up the tank, pack up the tools and spare parts, and go:)

I was reading your post thinking...screw starting a rear bumper. Maybe finished the front...yes do the cb. Then started laughing out loud when I saw you say...screw it...I'll just show up w/ tools! :)

ZJZJ
05-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Well, I hope everyone has a great time. I was going to make it down this year, but with the Scrambler instead of a ZJ. But, after blowing the engine in the Rubicon ($3k rebuild), rebuilding the entire front end of the Ram ($3500+), and a bunch of other expensive bullshit like water softeners, we won't be making it this year. It's been 3 years I think since I killed the Beast trying to get over that rock.

bruce
05-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Its bigdogs...it's going to rain! I've never been there yet w/out it raining atleast once. And yes, check out your zj and make sure its good to go. What is it...3 events I can recall now you getting there and not even running your rig? :(

I think only 2 years not running at all,,,,can't count the number of didn't make it to day 3.

What really sux is,,,, work just tagged me to fly out to Seattle on Monday,,,I will get back Wed night or early Thur Morning,,,I will be there.

Sudz
05-30-2008, 04:49 PM
me and broncotony are thinking of heading down this year

i need to decide whether i drive or trailer down – with the cost of fuel, i may drive the heep and take my chances

i have one more mod to do and it’s the toughest yet – it involves a sawzall and front fenders - gulp

slim616
06-01-2008, 10:00 PM
okay it looks like I got the jeep together enough to make it down to big dogs for its first test run. Hopefully not to many parts will fall off the first day out.

Beerman
06-01-2008, 10:41 PM
okay it looks like I got the jeep together enough to make it down to big dogs for its first test run. Hopefully not to many parts will fall off the first day out.

what part of md. are you from?

slim616
06-02-2008, 09:58 PM
I live in Ruxton which right outside of Towson.

MoonWorks
06-05-2008, 12:50 PM
We should be out of here in about 30-45 mins. See everyone there! :)

JordanA
06-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Alright, almost done wrenching (doesn't seem to stop) so we may actually make it! Hopefully I'll see you all there... if not, well then shit we'll have to make another run somewhere in the next few months.

SirFuego
06-09-2008, 12:05 AM
Had a GREAT time this weekend! Thanks to DieselZJ for loading up his $500 XJ and letting me wheel it on Friday!

Saturday was a blast for me riding passenger in the "Big Tire Jobby" in the buggy group from Buffalo. Though I did hear that I missed some more difficult trails on Saturday from the GSE, but I was told that those trails have probably done the $500 XJ in since it had no skids.

It was great putting faces to all of the names I see here regularly on the board and hopefully I'll be meeting up with y'all on future trailrides (in my ZJ of course)!

Overkill -- you better post that video of the Dave going full throttle with his CJ-3A up Hell's Hole :)

MoonWorks
06-09-2008, 03:16 PM
I too had a great time this weekend and it was nice seeing some new faces up there this year.
From speaking with Beerman...sounds like the stock group got by with little damage. I heard one lost their charcoal can...I assume there was more than that but we'll wait to hear from them.

The int group had...

Pete...some fender/body dents (totally crushed the passenger front fender), cracked a rear passenger light.

Shadow...bent drag link, broke steering adjuster collar, broke short shaft down in the carrier...so he was out for the weekend.

Dieselzj...front passenger fender and cladding on the same side

BroncoTony...had some electical issue which shut him down for the weekend, thanks to sudz for getting him back to camp

Overkill...managed to get his 42 completely off the beadlock rim (your locks still suck! :) )

Myself...dropped a drive shaft, broke a heim, and it seems the steering box is f'd so my weekend was done on friday as well. And both of my favorite boots went to crap as well...and my feet hurt like hell today. :)

I ran too much this weekend and didn't really take any pics of our runs but am looking forward to seeing what everyone else got.

Hope to see all and more of you again there at future events.

DieselZJ
06-09-2008, 05:50 PM
I had a great time! I washed it today, and i'm pretty sure my ZJ has seen its last wax job :) . The trail we took on saturday was a little tight, but it was a lot of fun. I'll post some pictures later, i'm not in the mood right now.

slim616
06-09-2008, 09:40 PM
here's that video of matt losing his tire on k2

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="<A href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cigg_27UGk4&hl=en"></param><embed">http://www.youtube.com/v/cigg_27UGk4&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cigg_27UGk4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I had a great time meeting you all and finally being able to put faces with some names.

tui76
06-09-2008, 11:33 PM
I didn't know that it was a Grand Slam this time out or I would have stopped by your camp. I was in camp 2 w/ KGB. I have a ton of pics from the event you can view on photobucket (http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/tui76/Spring%20Fling%2008/). I met some of you at the field party and saw the ZJ convoy on the trail. Sweet!

Here I am taking on boulder. I didn't make it... this time!
http://a28.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/70/l_4cf00624cc9da376f82c78add2ea9903.jpg

"Street Legal" :)
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/tui76/Spring%20Fling%2008/Before/P1002067.jpg

OverkillZJ
06-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Yo! I'm one of the guys you met by your rig at the field party, probably the one that was slurring his words the most, haha.

SirFuego
06-10-2008, 10:45 AM
here's that video of matt losing his tire on k2
Joe, it was great meeting you this weekend! Always great to see others not afraid to beat on their Mall Crawler. You might want to fix your post though as your attempt to embed the video didn't turn out too well :)

OverkillZJ
06-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Overkill...managed to get his 42 completely off the beadlock rim (your locks sill suck! :) )

+ broken tow rig on the way home (head gasket is gone, coolant spewing into exhaust and out of side of block.)

Broke my wheelin' pair of glasses

Broke my cell phone.

Lost my keys

Great trip :smt041

tui76
06-10-2008, 01:34 PM
LOL, I was pretty slurred myself! I'm really hoping to see more pics from this event. Post em up!! :)

I decided to pop my hood today to check the oil and found my ecu laying on the oil filter, :eek: thats not good! My whole engine compartment is covered in oil and power steering fluid. Guess I have more work to do before the next run.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/tui76/Spring%20Fling%2008/MYDC0079.jpg

slim616
06-10-2008, 04:20 PM
not sure why its not working but heres the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cigg_27UGk4

MoonWorks
06-11-2008, 02:35 PM
+ broken tow rig on the way home (head gasket is gone, coolant spewing into exhaust and out of side of block.)

Did you end up limping it home or did you have to get everything towed?

OverkillZJ
06-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Did you end up limping it home or did you have to get everything towed?

AAA wanted almost $200 just for the truck, not counting trailer... With my cell phone broken, I couldn't even call friends that have other tow rigs, because I don't know anyones number by heart! I called my dad from someone elses cell (mine was broken) who brought some supplies (LOTS OF WATER) and we limped it home between 30-50MPH depending on the engine temp. It was weak, but it got there.

At 234,000 miles, I can only bitch so much about a blown head gasket. It sucked, but it got the rig and I home eventually.

OverkillZJ
06-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Almost forgot: I knew something was wrong when it usually takes about 2/3 tank round trip in that thing, and I burned almost a whole tank getting down there... I should've checked on things.

Silverback
06-11-2008, 10:00 PM
I really had a great time. The wheeling was awesome and great to see everyone again and meet a few new faces.

Hopefully I can make it back in September and challenge my rig a little more - seems like it just walked over whatever I threw at it this weekend, although I did crush my steering stabilizer (not a surprise given the low-hanging stock WJ location) and nearly took out the tie rod with it (again, not a big surprise). I think the steering is definitely the weak link in my rig now, so maybe I can relocate the SS and flip the tie rod before then... we'll see.

MoonWorks
06-11-2008, 11:10 PM
I really had a great time. The wheeling was awesome and great to see everyone again and meet a few new faces.

Hopefully I can make it back in September and challenge my rig a little more - seems like it just walked over whatever I threw at it this weekend, although I did crush my steering stabilizer (not a surprise given the low-hanging stock WJ location) and nearly took out the tie rod with it (again, not a big surprise). I think the steering is definitely the weak link in my rig now, so maybe I can relocate the SS and flip the tie rod before then... we'll see.

You looking to flip the stock tie-rod or getting another one to flip?

Silverback
06-12-2008, 09:47 PM
I would love to get the OTK kit from Iron Rock, but it uses heims... illegal for street use in the good ole commonwealth from what I understand...and since I want to keep it road-worthy, then unfortunately that won't work. So I'd be happy just flipping the factory TR - at least that would get it up & out of the way.

MoonWorks
06-13-2008, 12:54 AM
I would love to get the OTK kit from Iron Rock, but it uses heims... illegal for street use in the good ole commonwealth from what I understand...and since I want to keep it road-worthy, then unfortunately that won't work. So I'd be happy just flipping the factory TR - at least that would get it up & out of the way.

PM sent!