PDA

View Full Version : Anyone pulled with...?

jsteves
05-02-2008, 12:05 PM
A dodge 2500 with 5.7 Hemi OR 8.0L V10

OR

GMC 2500 with 8.1L 454.

I don't want to be talked into a diesel, it is not an option for several reasons. I just want to know if you have pulled with one of these trucks and what you think about 'em.

I like that the GMC comes with the Allison transmisson but the Dodges seem to be cheaper around these parts.

BigDaveZJ
05-02-2008, 12:11 PM
They won't be speed demons over the passes, but they'll definitely get the job done. Buddy of mine towed his CJ with a Titan out to Moab last fall and was able to keep pretty close to my 'stroke the whole way except for coming back up Vail and Eisenhower.

jsteves
05-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Yeah I kinda figured. I guess I can tolerate being "that guy" in the truck lane. These trucks are litereally 1/2 the price of their diesel brethren right now.

BigDaveZJ
05-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Yeah, I don't get WTF is going on with diesel truck prices lately. My truck is worth the same now as it was when I bought it a year and a half and 35k miles ago. And diesel fuel is $1.50/gallon higher now than it was when I bought my truck. Makes no fawkin sense to me but I guess I can't complain too much cuz I could unload my truck in a hurry if I needed to.

jsteves
05-02-2008, 12:26 PM
You did buy at the right time for shizzie. I sure as hell don't get it either though.

BigDaveZJ
05-02-2008, 12:35 PM
My biggest concern towing through the mountains has never really been the speed that I can achieve going up the passes, but how well the truck can handle the trailer going down the passes, and through the twisties. There shouldn't be much of a difference in the way a gasser does that as opposed to a diesel. The spot I hate the most is the last decent coming down 70 back into Denver. Always has the most traffic, and its steep. But good brakes on the trailer, a good brake controller, and a good truck make it easier.

SirFuego
05-02-2008, 01:34 PM
I have a Ram 1500 Quad Cab Short Bed with the 5.7L Hemi and factory 20" wheels. It tows my ZJ/trailer really well and is very stable (handles downhill really well assuming the tongue weight is correct). I'd assume the same to be true for a 2500 since it's more heavy duty and better built for towing. It's fine going up steeper hills as long as you have the right gear at the bottom of the hill (or else it will downshift in the middle of the hill). It took me a little bit of experimentation to figure out how to "get the right gear" with it being an auto, but it didn't take long. I normally tow at around 65-70 mph, but it has no problems getting up past that if I need to pass someone.

Through Western NY (which is pretty flat), I would get about 13-14 mpgs towing at 65. Once I get down into PA, it drops to about 10-12 because of the hills.

I knew the salesman at the dealership, so between the price I paid for it and the lifetime warranty, I couldn't pass it up.

nate
05-02-2008, 01:36 PM
The Hemi will pull decent and it's reasonable on fuel mileage as well.

I know a few people with the 8.1L and they were getting 12-13mpg empty and single digits towing. It'll outpull most older stock diesels for sure, but you better have an aux tank in the bed!

Having a diesel is great when you need to tow the trailer, but it sure is sucking right now with $4.25/gal fuel!... AND of course the 98 2500 CTD I have is my daily driver.

J B
05-02-2008, 01:58 PM
My only concern would the auto trans in the Dodge.

jsteves
05-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Mine would be the driver as well, so the cost of fuel is one of the concerns. And yes, I am worried about an auto with the Dodge...which is more why I would really think about the GMC; I have much confidence in the Allison.

Really thinking about a 2003 Dodge with the Hemi and 5 speed if I could find one. Seems to be the best balance of fuel economy and ability to tow. I think Dave is right anyway, coming down the mountain is way more important than going up.

nate
05-02-2008, 08:01 PM
I would take a weaker trans over terrible fuel mileage. You can invest the money you save on gas into good parts for the trans :D

Boman6001
05-03-2008, 01:41 AM
My brother in-law owns a chevy 3500 with the 8.1 and he tows with it regularly and is very happy with it. I borrowed it from him to pick up a wrecked car I bought for cheap to use as a DD and was actully kind of impressed with it. I know you stated a 2500 but as far as power and over all pulling it did well. It was only about a 180 mile trip but yeah it did use some fuel. Around 12-15 if I remember correctly. But that versus my fathers 3500 6sp cummins, I would take the diesel. I'm a cheap ass so I let them buy the pull rigs then just use them when I need them.

BigDaveZJ
05-03-2008, 09:23 AM
I would take a weaker trans over terrible fuel mileage. You can invest the money you save on gas into good parts for the trans :D

A weak tranny can leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere. Worse fuel mileage leaves you with slightly less coin. I'd rather have a solid tranny. Says the guy with a 4R100, LOL.

IndyZJ
05-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Since it's going to be a driver, would a 6.0 in a chevy/ gmc be an option? It wouldn't have the power of the 8.1, but it's comparable to the dodge with the hemi. That's my impression from driving a couple '04s anyway. It would sure as hell get better mileage (being a driver) than the big block, but it wouldn't have as much power and afaik doesn't come with the allison. A friend of mine averages 8-10 towing/ driving his chevy with the 8.1. How often do you plan on towing? Either way I'd go with a solid drivetrain over mileage any day of the week, especially if you're going to be towing.

redline61
05-03-2008, 01:05 PM
I think you should drive one of the 6.0L Chevys. My last job had an 03 2500 and we towed a 3500lbs trailer with it. I think it will be kind of slow on the grades (with a Jeep behind it) but it was really impressive with 3500lbs behind it. It never had any problems on the steep hills we encountered on the high way we did do. We towed only in town and short highway runs and averaged 11mpg,

jsteves
05-05-2008, 10:40 AM
How reliable are the 6.0 Chevy's? I am know the magnum blocks and I am comfortable working on them which is part of why I like the Hemi. I will have to look more at the numbers too but I would guess the Hemi has better low end torque.

I would only tow 1-2 times per month most likely. I would be drinving around town far more often.

CurtP
05-05-2008, 01:14 PM
How reliable are the 6.0 Chevy's? I am know the magnum blocks and I am comfortable working on them which is part of why I like the Hemi.

I have both a Magnum engine (5.9 ZJ) and Hemi (WK) and they're nothing like each other. Changing plugs in the Hemi is a serious PITA and you'll need 16 of them.

Forget about using the familiar analogy. Go drive the trucks you're interested in, look at the service interval recommendation and see how much it costs to do the service (either in parts or what the dealership charges). I'd go with the newest my budget would allow and probably opt for some sort of warranty - at least for the powertrain.

I like the GMC the best - even over the Chevy counterpart (just because GMC looks more like a truck and is less obnoxious looking than the Chevy).

I didn't think the gasser GM trucks had the Allison - only the diesels.

And what kind of load are you towing? A 1/2-ton may be more than sufficient for your needs and would be easier on the wallet in more ways than one. Most of the 1/2-ton trucks offer a towing package which gives them a decent towing capacity. I know GM offers a 1/2-ton which will tow 10,500#. Almost everyone I know with a 3/4 or 1-ton truck could get by with a 1/2-ton. Shit, most of them would be better served with an S10!

jsteves
05-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Well, like you said familiarity is out. I have driven all 3 but it is one thing to drive and another to tow. From driving I actually like the Hemi the best but not sure if it will produce enough torque to get the job done.

I need a 3/4 ton. I want to be able to pull a goose with 2 ZJ's. So while I wish I could buy a 1/2 ton cause they are dirt cheap that just won't work.

The only gasser that had the allison as an option is the 8.1.

naturalbornmudder
05-05-2008, 11:54 PM
my tow rig is an 06 GMC 1500 crew. I tow my 18 ft dovetail and whatever loaded rig I want with little to no problems. It has the 5.3L(295 hp) which, on the highway, is getting right over 21 mpg. With just the empty trailer back there it's almost like there was nothing at all atached. The mpg drops to 17+.
Last fall I drove up to Grants Pass,OR to tow back a buddies stranded diesel Suburban. At just a shade over 300 miles 1 way, I got 13.8 mpg with the heavy Chevy on the trailer. No problems with power whatsoever. My only complaint was the sponginess of the springs. Now I am ordering Firestone air bags to help with that.

Bang for the buck, if you are not buying a dedicated tow rig, don't overlook a 1500 series GMC with the 5.3 and some air bags.

naturalbornmudder
05-05-2008, 11:56 PM
I need a 3/4 ton. I want to be able to pull a goose with 2 ZJ's. So while I wish I could buy a 1/2 ton cause they are dirt cheap that just won't work.

my bad.
All that yapping, and I missed this portion of your last post. Sorry for the re-direct...

Sporer65
05-06-2008, 01:16 AM
How reliable are the 6.0 Chevy's?

Although I don't have any direct experience with them, the 6.0 is just a bored version of the 5.3L, which are very reliable. With a 2500, it should be the LQ4s.