PDA

View Full Version : New Project

Mtn WJ
04-30-2008, 01:46 PM
I stole a pop up trailer yesterday. Well it was such a good deal I went for it.

I bought a 97 Viking 8.5 foot pop up that really does look like new inside and some very minor scratches on the outside. It happens to have everything I wanted and nothing I didnt want. I bought it in Northern Colorado from a retired couple who bought it new.

I plan to flip the axle for more clearance and put on some skids and sliders. I will also put on some Ebrakes. It came with the 12 inch wheels and heavier axle with the Ebrake flanges on it. I do not want it too tall to make it impractical to tow behind the XC90 but decent for mild trail use.

It towed pretty good down I25 behind my WJ. I was concerned about speed but was able to keep up with traffic. I70 west bound will create a challenge for the 4.0 dub but I wont really be in a hurry anyway. The Volvo will have no problem for long trips to the National Parks and such.

Looks like Ol Rusty is going to have to be put on hold till the fall now.

fpkites
04-30-2008, 02:11 PM
My family and I have really liked our popup - 93 Fleetwood, springover from the factory, brake flanges are there, but no brakes. Back in the 90s, brakes were an option (on the sub-2k lb models) - they're standard now.

It's nice being off the ground, and the heater is great when you have a toddler. Tricia actually was camping when she was mere months old. Tent once, and camper the rest of the times. Camper makes a huge difference.

PassRunnerZJ
04-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Sounds like you are doing what I have been planning for a while. I'm ready to give up the ground as well. I would like to see if enough room can be clearanced for taller tires and maybe angle cut the rear to reduce some dragging, but I have to get one first.

I'll be watching to see how your project goes.

fpkites
04-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Starcrafts come from the factory with Dunlop Muds and alloys...bling bling baby :D

Mtn WJ
04-30-2008, 10:45 PM
I have been wanting to do this for a long time. If you only have a couple people you could get an older Coleman Colorado model popup. It really only sleeps 3 or 4 max but in my opinion would make a really great off road camper for smaller families. I needed something that sleeps 5 comfortably and 6 in a pinch. My kids and I are ok with the tent scene but my wife will not camp in a tent.

The pre-built off road type pop ups are cool except for two things. Very Very heavy and pretty pricey. There are several out there and they look pretty cool. They really should be pulled behind a truck because of their weight. Some are 4-5000 lbs.

I chose this one for several reasons. 8 foot box and the water tank is inside instead of underneath like many of the shorter box models. The heavy axle is a plus including ebrake flanges. The mid 90s to early 2000s have the front and rear beds the same size. Many of the newer 8ft boxes have a larger rear than the front, which makes one bed too small for two people comfortably. It came with a stainless steel manifold furnace instead of cast and has an electric pump for the water along with the hand pump. When I was a kid we had a furnace in a pick up camper that had a bad manifold and my family almost lost 5 kids as a result. Never buy a camper furnace with a cast manifold. I really wanted something light weight. This things weighs 990lbs with water in it and is rated up to 1500 fully loaded. Still pretty light. I paid 1500 for a trailer that is like new inside and was owned by a very meticulous old man. I have looked at a lot and the one thing I cant stand is a messy interior with mold or mildew smells. That is the reason I did not want a built in ice box. They always leak and smell. Give me a portable cooler. This one has a dual position stove to allow inside and outside cooking. It also came with an awning. I wanted leaf springs to simplify the lift with a spring over. The torsion bar units typically run smaller tires with smaller openings and require large brackets to lift them. Sorry for the long run on of features but just to give you some thoughts on what I was looking for to make a light duty trail camper. I tend to do my research and then jump in.

I plan to remove the step and put some square tube sliders on the sides with a skid on the rear between the frame and bumper. As for wheels I will stick with the 12 inch rims but go with a beefier tire. 13 inch wheels are a nice way to go but I figure I will be ok with taller tires on the 12s. Keep in mind when doing a spring over you will need to weld in spring brackets with bevels to compensate for camber. They are made to allow flex in the springs enable them to be true down the highway.

Some food for thought