PDA

View Full Version : CB recommendations?

Ted_Z
04-15-2008, 11:26 AM
I need to pick up a CB for GSW. I'd like to find some thing realitively inexpensive since I don't normally use CB's. I'd also like it to be compact so I'm not taking up a bunch of leg room or even mount it inside the center console. What about hand-helds?

fpkites
04-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Handhelds would be fine for on trail use. Distance is not great with them, but we're in close quarters on the trail (always keep the rigs in front/back in view). Otherwise, a Cobra 75WX is a hidden unit that only has a handset in plain view.

Other than that, you'd probably be fine with a Cobra 19 or something like that. The one you saw in my Heep (Cobra 25 LTD Classic) is probably not what you want to get. New, they run $80-120 :D

Mine's peaked, tweaked and modified, and I've had it for about 12 years.

Cody
04-15-2008, 12:22 PM
I have a cobra 75 WXST and it's nice and compact, but it's pretty old and beat up. I get a ton of static on it...but that might be a product of the magnetic antenna I use. I'm going to try and fine a 1/2 din sized unit and dash mount it...

My buddy uses this one, and he has much better range than me
http://cgi.ebay.com/COBRA-18-WX-ST-II-CB-RADIO-40-CHANNEL-10-NOAA_W0QQitemZ380017603400QQihZ025QQcategoryZ40055 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

JBN311
04-15-2008, 01:53 PM
I just picked up a small one from RadioShack.
Does fine for what I use it for.

ArloGuthroJeep
04-15-2008, 02:03 PM
x2 on 75 WX ST...have run one for 3 years now and has worked well for me. No static although I do have to turn up the squelch with the engine on (alternator noise I suspect).

grandmaster
04-15-2008, 02:04 PM
I just barely picked up a cobra (unsure of the model) at my friends brother in law pawn shop in St. George. Have only used it once and sounds really good, but i would like a bit more range. I only paid 30 bucks for the cb and antenna. Retail for the CB is $75. And im pretty sure its on cobras website in the last page of CB radios.

fpkites
04-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Crazy good deals can be had at pawn shops. Most of the time, the company running the shop has not a fucking clue what they have, so you can get some incredible pricing.

Ted_Z
04-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Crazy good deals can be had at pawn shops. Most of the time, the company running the shop has not a fucking clue what they have, so you can get some incredible pricing.

I bet. The problem is that I don't have a fucking clue about CB's either :)

Right now I'm looking at the Radio Shack TRC-503 'cause its, cheap, small and readily available.

fpkites
04-15-2008, 02:21 PM
Jot down some notes of what you see at pawn shops - I think you've got a Jumping Jack Cash down in your area, don't you?

Also, Big Lots a few months ago had a screaming deal on a Cobra 18-ish CB. Like 20 bones or something. Take a look at their ad.

grandmaster
04-15-2008, 06:16 PM
I agree, pawn shops are the way to go if you can find them there. And they usually have something there so you can test them and make sure they work.

DJJordache
04-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Uniden 520XL got it cheap off of ebay and it works great!

vinny4130
04-15-2008, 11:36 PM
i saw cobra 19s at a biglots store about a month ago. they were 30 or 35.

PassRunnerZJ
04-16-2008, 02:14 AM
Honestly, I think it is more in the antenna and proper mounting than the radio unit. Also, find a SWR meter and get the antenna set for the radio. I used a hand held for a couple of years with a magnetic antenna from wally world, but wasn't real happy with the bulk, but it worked. Spend some money on a better antenna though. I understand that line filters are good too, I need one as I'm getting some extra static.

jsteves
04-16-2008, 10:43 AM
$20 unit from Wally World. Works fine but I heard they are not selling 'em around here anymore. My brother has the small (cheapest) one Radioshack sells and it is the worst cb I have ever used in my life. Half the time he talks all I hear is aweful noise and half the time when we talk to him it cuts out.

Cody
04-16-2008, 11:09 AM
I used to not really care about the CB, but as I do more of these long range trips, I've found it very handy.

Last fall we had a group of 11 vehicles, 3 of us had pretty good range so we spaced out front/middle/rear. At some times the front and back were 20-30 minutes apart, but we were able to call out and confirm important turns via CB which was critical to making good time.

I think the antenna is a big part too, and from what I know of them, the only useful part of the antenna is the part that extends above the ground plane of the vehicle (the highest point of ground, which for us is the roof). I'd really like to find a dual CB/HAM radio and get HAM licensed. We had a couple HAM radios in the backcountry last year and I can see how those would come in handy. Crazy range.

fpkites
04-16-2008, 12:26 PM
A HAM radio can save your life. Certification isn't that hard either - basic electronic knowledge and memorize the rules and frequencies, and you can get it. Equipment's not cheap though, at least the good stuff. Even a simple handheld HAM rig can do some amazing stuff.

ZJ TINS
04-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Cody you might seriously look into antennas and antenna mountings first. A 102” whip is the best, several top brands out there. If you can’t live with that height then properly designed coils can make up for the height.
Where you place the antenna on a vehicle is also critical. The sensitivity is affective by the vehicle metal. So if you place the ant on the rear the front signal is much stronger than the rear and visa versa.
Ham radios run different freqs and power.
I don’t know what distance you want but a well designed CB system can go quite far.
At some point you might also check your SWR. If you system is out of tune you can be losing power to internal mismatches.

fpkites
04-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Speaking of SWR, I'll make sure to have my meter in the Heep for GSW if anybody needs assistance with a tune.

PassRunnerZJ
04-18-2008, 10:34 PM
I too have heard good things about the new HAM radios, but unless everyone has one it makes it tough. But a good thought. If Radio Shack still made their FSR with the power in the antena base, those are great. My borther and I have a set we use and can get over two miles of clear commication, but alas...

fpkites
04-18-2008, 10:45 PM
I can clear 2 miles with my CB, but you won't get that out of the box :smt040

BigDaveZJ
04-18-2008, 11:36 PM
I can clear 2 miles with my CB, but you won't get that out of the box :smt040

Only 2?? I was at 470 and University one night talking to a trucker at 70 and Genessee. There was somethin funky going on there though.

I run the cheapie unit from Wal-Mart in both the truck and the Jeep. FireStik antennas in both as well. Works good enough for me. The setup I used to have in the Jeep worked REALLY well, but the CB didn't care for the exposure to the elements all that much.

fpkites
04-18-2008, 11:52 PM
Dave, that would be a skip - I've definitely had those in my day.

We did pretty good when I was catching up with you, Scott and Putz on the way home last year.

BigDaveZJ
04-18-2008, 11:59 PM
Dave, that would be a skip - I've definitely had those in my day.

We did pretty good when I was catching up with you, Scott and Putz on the way home last year.

Yeah, I was pretty sure it was a skip. I can usually get 1-2 miles range easy around town, more in the flatland west of GJ on the way to Moab.

Ted_Z
04-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Update: I picked up a Uniden PRO 510XL and a magnetic antenna off ebay. $26 shipped, woot. I might invest in a better antenna at a later date but this should get me buy for now.

BigDaveZJ
04-30-2008, 07:29 PM
That should serve you quite well on the trail. I wanna say Pam's is a 510, but it's also been peaked and tweaked. I re-ran the coax for the CB in the ZJ after 7 years. Something tells me the spots where the rubber shielding around the cable had worn off and bare wire exposed was negatively impacting my CB's performance.

fpkites
04-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Ted - that should do fine on the trail. If it's a tunable antenna, head north a bit and I'll throw my meter on it and tweak it for you.

Dave - that could definitely cause some issues :rofl:

BigDaveZJ
04-30-2008, 08:26 PM
Dave - that could definitely cause some issues :rofl:

Yeah, I kinda figured they would, lol. The coax was run under the back seats in that little trough, and over the years it's either been my Hi-Lift under there before I built the mount for it, and then my spare axle shafts. I was honestly suprised it looked as good as it did!

indy242003
05-01-2008, 10:36 PM
I run a Galaxy 93 peaked, tuned, witha kicker linear. Yeah it's way overkill but if you want to get out, you can talk loud and proud. I use it alot more than a normal offroad rig would. If you really don't know much about CB's you would be pissed off trying to run a unit like this, but it does give me something to do on long trips. It's about 3 hours to the closest wheelin' park in the delta. I have no trouble talking to someone clear across the park. As it was stated earlier a good antenna is worth it's wieght in gold. Buy a cheaper radio and spend good money on the antenna. You'll be glad you did.

Ted_Z
05-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Well I finally got my CB. Mounting the CB should be pretty straight forward. I plan on hard mounting it to the tranny tunnel on the passenger's side. Wiring is easy with the use of an "add a circuit". http://www.littelfuse.com/data/en/Data_Sheets/FHM02FHA02.pdf

How do most people route the antenna wire to the outside? I'd rather not pinch it in the door jam. I was thinking of coming out the bulkhead above the rear hatch, but I dont think I have enough wire length.

fpkites
05-14-2008, 12:19 PM
You should have 18 feet of coax - Shouldn't be a problem