PDA

View Full Version : Grinders

ajmorell
04-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Ran a search, didn't find shit. Looking to get a good angle grinder. Don't want to spend a ton of money, but I'm not going to buy a cheap piece of shit either. I've been looking at this DeWalt
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=10651

I can get it for $75 on ebay new

Anyone have any experience with this or have something else they would recommend for under $100?

jsteves
04-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Just don't get one that locks in the on position. I like for grinders to stop spinning when I stop pressing the button!

ATL ZJ
04-14-2008, 12:12 PM
I have that Dewalt and love it. I'd get one of those and a couple $10 harbor freight grinders to beat the crap out of. The chinese HF ones have been lasting me about a year of VERY hard, constant use. Under more reasonable conditions they'd probably last longer. It's nice to have a few grinders around when you have shop help or if you are going back and forth between a flap disc, wire wheel, and grinding wheel or cutoff disc. The Dewalt's motor is also noticeably quieter than the loud rattle of the cheap grinders.

fpkites
04-14-2008, 12:29 PM
My HF grinder has served me well - loud fawker though. I see JSteves' point on trigger vs switch though. That would be nice for more precision stuff.

ArloGuthroJeep
04-14-2008, 12:33 PM
I have that grinder - I love it:) Cuts like Butta!

CurtP
04-14-2008, 03:50 PM
How much are you really going to use it? After catching two Northern Tool $15 grinders on fire, I decided it was time to get something decent. I looked at the DeWalt, and I like DeWalt, but I thought the Milwaukee was nicer. I have either the 4.5" 12 amp one.

fpkites
04-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Curt, doesn't Northern have a warning against cutting open full gas tanks?

Z
04-14-2008, 04:03 PM
I must be hard on grinders, I had a DeWalt and Milwaukee, both lasted maybe 2 years - I suspect the metal fragments got into the contacts or switches and ruined them - when I depressed the switch the motor would run a couple seconds and switch off. I've been using a Rigid for 2-3 years now without a problem.

ajmorell
04-14-2008, 04:07 PM
How much are you really going to use it? After catching two Northern Tool $15 grinders on fire, I decided it was time to get something decent. I looked at the DeWalt, and I like DeWalt, but I thought the Milwaukee was nicer. I have either the 4.5" 12 amp one.

Realistically, probably once a month or less. I just don't want to spend the money on something that I'm going to have to replace or fix in a year. I looked at the Milwaukee as well but it was twice as much (for the high-amp model anyways). I'm not necessarily opposed to buying a lower-amperage model (say 7 or 8 Amps), but its annoying as hell when you gotta let off because its bogging the fucker down so bad.

Ken L
04-14-2008, 04:11 PM
I have a 4 1/2" Milwaukee that I've abused for 6 or 7 years and it's still going strong. Prior to this I was using up one Harbor Freight grinder with each project. Most times you get what you pay for.

midwestxj
04-14-2008, 05:12 PM
I have that dewalt grinder and it is actually the only dewalt power tool i like. Had the HF ones and they would burn out in about a month. Dewaqlt one is 3 years old and going strong.

OverkillZJ
04-14-2008, 05:16 PM
I have the same Dewalt grinder as well, and I find it to be the most bang for the buck by far. I've used a friends Matabo that is variable speed and AMAZING, but it's also 3x the price. I'd buy the Dewalt again, it's a good tool.

SirFuego
04-14-2008, 05:34 PM
I have a harbor freight one that is going strong. I probably don't use mine as much as others on here, but I've still put it through a bit of abuse and it's held up surprisingly well.
That said, the switch sorta scares me.

I just bought a Ryobi one with a trigger and swivel handle and for whatever reason I feel much safer with it. The swivel handle is nice because it allows for a more natural position which seems to give me much more control over the grinder.

Call me a pussy, but angle grinders scare the shit out of me -- especially when used with cutoff wheels.

OverkillZJ
04-14-2008, 06:33 PM
They can cut you up good, which is why I prefer the paddle trigger! Some of the cheap models work great, but I find they vibrate a lot more and make your hands numb / hard to hold the grinder, the Dewalt is the first "almost" quality one I've had, and it's been much easier to use.

CurtP
04-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Curt, doesn't Northern have a warning against cutting open full gas tanks?

LOL - an empty gas tank could be potentially more dangerous. Hmmm...

Both of them seemed to fail the same way - I use them so much that the gear drive would get really hot and coke the grease in the gearbox and then the plastic would catch fire. I was in the middle of a project (C5 brakes on a 4th gen F-body) and when it caught on fire, I'd turn it off, blow out the fire, then start using it again. After about an hour, it would no longer turn on (or turn) :D

Just check the country of origin on the DeWalt before you buy it. Some of their tools are now made in China and aren't made as well as the ones that were made in the US. Milwaukee has been doing the same thing (as has everyone else). Fuckers.

CurtP
04-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Call me a pussy, but angle grinders scare the shit out of me -- especially when used with cutoff wheels.

Pussy :D

...as I sit here looking at the scar on my finger where an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel took out chunk out of my index finger last month...

OverkillZJ
04-14-2008, 08:08 PM
I wish I had video of the "incident" during the phoenix cutup... I had a 5" wheel on a 4.5" grinder, no guard on, and was digging in way too deep. The wheel broke at the center next to the metal, and flew off, went 20 feet and hit the garage support about 2" from the top of my friend Steve's head, bounced off, and had enough energy left to head another 150 yards to the bottom of my property.

Moral of the story: do not screw around with something spinning 30,000 RPM's, it CAN kill you.

ILikeMud
04-14-2008, 09:04 PM
I wish I had video of the "incident" during the phoenix cutup... I had a 5" wheel on a 4.5" grinder, no guard on, and was digging in way too deep. The wheel broke at the center next to the metal, and flew off, went 20 feet and hit the garage support about 2" from the top of my friend Steve's head, bounced off, and had enough energy left to head another 150 yards to the bottom of my property.

Moral of the story: do not screw around with something spinning 30,000 RPM's, it CAN kill you.

Yup.
My buddy almost lost the 'boys' once when another guy blew up a grinding disk.

Buy at least one good grinder, I hate my cheap ass Chinese grinder, it won't cut shit.

slim616
04-14-2008, 09:14 PM
go dewalt, I have many, many hours on mine. though it is a good point about the switch. this weekened i was grinding some stuff when a few sparks must of hit the bottom of my jeans and lit the torn ends on fire. Anyway i didn't notice my jeans were on fire till my leg got hot. in a moment of panic I threw the grinder down still on so I could put myself out and the damn grinder started jumping all around the driveway till the worn out switch vibrated off.

OverkillZJ
04-14-2008, 09:25 PM
^ that is the reason I bought a "momentary switch" grinder - they jump around like CRAZY!

Skyline
04-14-2008, 10:33 PM
I must be hard on grinders, I had a DeWalt and Milwaukee, both lasted maybe 2 years - I suspect the metal fragments got into the contacts or switches and ruined them - when I depressed the switch the motor would run a couple seconds and switch off. I've been using a Rigid for 2-3 years now without a problem.

When I was a kid, I worked at a cabinet maker's shop for a summer, and one of my jobs was to see what I could do with the large number of broken (hand) power tools they would accumulate. I found that it is remarkably easy to fix broken electric power tools. Assuming the chord is intact, nine out of ten times it is the brushes that need replacement, and the rest of the time it is a bad switch. Around here, we have a large hardware store than can get parts for all the top brands, you just need a little patience to order the stuff. For top brand stuff, it's definately worth the effort.

A friend who works for DOT once brought over 4 good quality broken grinders that they were discarding at work. Apparantly they have no kid apprentices to fix their stuff, or could care less as it's taxpayer money. I fixed 3 of the 4 right away, and will get around to putting a new chord on the last one when I can figure out a use for that 25lb monster.

violatedppl
04-16-2008, 12:33 AM
+1 for the Milwaukee, use it at school every day cutting up welds and prepping steel. IMHO I wouldnt get one without the paddle on and off.

Z
04-16-2008, 07:45 AM
When I was a kid, I worked at a cabinet maker's shop for a summer, and one of my jobs was to see what I could do with the large number of broken (hand) power tools they would accumulate. I found that it is remarkably easy to fix broken electric power tools. Assuming the chord is intact, nine out of ten times it is the brushes that need replacement, and the rest of the time it is a bad switch. Around here, we have a large hardware store than can get parts for all the top brands, you just need a little patience to order the stuff. For top brand stuff, it's definately worth the effort.

A friend who works for DOT once brought over 4 good quality broken grinders that they were discarding at work. Apparantly they have no kid apprentices to fix their stuff, or could care less as it's taxpayer money. I fixed 3 of the 4 right away, and will get around to putting a new chord on the last one when I can figure out a use for that 25lb monster.

Good to know. If my Rigid grinder fails - I'll buy a 2nd Rigid and fix the first one when I have time.

I have had a lot of problems with Dremel tools, too and have found that the brushes need frequent cleaning/lubing(?)/replacing. I now have 2 Dremels, a primary unit and a backup for when the primary requires maintenance.

ZJ TINS
04-16-2008, 01:15 PM
I have a HF grinder and I hate teh damn thing. It vibrates so bad it feels like it is going to explode. This is the last cheap tool I will ever buy,... this is the last cheap tool I will every buy,.... this is the last cheap tool I will ever buy,...this is the last cheap tool I will ever buy,...this is the last cheap tool I will ever buy,...this is the last cheap tool I will ever buy,...this is the last cheap tool I will ever buy,...this is the last cheap tool I will ever buy,...this is the last cheap tool I will ever buy,...this is the last cheap tool I will ever buy,...this is the last cheap tool I will ever buy,...this is the last cheap tool I will ever buy,...this is the last cheap tool I will ever buy,...this is the last cheap tool I will ever buy,...this is the last cheap tool I will ever buy,...this is the last cheap tool I will ever buy,...this is the last cheap tool I will ever buy,...this is the last cheap tool I will ever buy,... seriously this is the last cheap tool I will ever buy!:screwy:

fpkites
04-16-2008, 01:24 PM
You really need to quit holding back - tell us how you really feel!!! :rofl:

bshows73
04-16-2008, 01:25 PM
I have personally killed at least 4 dewalt grinders but that is super heavy shop use at least 6 hours a day 5 days a week. It would take about a month for it to go. But that is at a production level. Good grinder though!

ZJ TINS
04-16-2008, 02:02 PM
If you talking about KOR you guys should be looking at air grinders. I have not even seen a real industrial grinder (electrical) advertised for years. The old Porter-Cable, Rockwell, Dewalt, Milwaulkee lines, never sold at Home Depot or Lowes either.