PDA

View Full Version : If it looks too good to be true...is it???

Skyline
04-10-2008, 08:27 PM
OK wish me luck guys. I bought a broken Miller Plasma Cutter today for $100. Spectrum 2050. The thing looks cosmetically perfect, but does not work. Previous owner claimed they took it to a welding shop and they couldn't figure out what was wrong and basically dicked them around for about a month, and they gave up on the thing. It's being picked up from my local welding shop by the regional Miller Service facility next Tuesday. Anything less than $1,000 repair and I figure I'm way ahead of the game....but I just don't think these things are that complicated. I'm keeping my fingers crossed....cause it's time to build bumpers. Worse case, if it's not fixable, it will go on eBay, and probably still make me some money.

If it works, this is a 55 amp machine than can clean cut 7/8"...although probably more like 1/2" on the dryer outlet I use for 220v. It can sever 1-1/4". Lists for $2,899. Kind of overkill for Jeep stuff....I had really been looking for a used Miller 625.

http://millerwelds.com/products/plasma/spectrum_2050/

sevenslats
04-10-2008, 08:47 PM
never been inside one.
Good luck, sounds like a good find. How'd you hear about it?

Skyline
04-10-2008, 09:38 PM
never been inside one.
Good luck, sounds like a good find. How'd you hear about it?
I've been searching Craig's list in a NY, NJ and CT for "Plasma Cutter" every day for 2 months. That's how I found the two Miller welders I bought last year (one resold on eBay in two days for a $600 profit because it took too much power). Sometimes much better prices than on eBay, but it's quite hit or miss. But when you find the right deal, you have to move quickly.

ArloGuthroJeep
05-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Any luck getting it running?

Skyline
05-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Any luck getting it running?
Unfortunately, Miller refused to fix it. They said it had a blown boost board and the capacitors. Would be about $1,500 for just that, and they were uncomfortable putting their normal short post-repair warrantee on the thing....as there could be other things wrong. It will go on eBay for parts.

Pretty sad considering its only 2 years off warrantee. According to the shop, a lot of these inverter based welders and plasma cutters are pretty much disposable if they break down off warrantee. Their circuit boards are VERY expensive.

I just bought a new ESAB plasma cutter.

Skyline
05-07-2008, 07:59 PM
New toy: