5.9 ANDY
04-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Mr. Kevin Higgins, Corporate Manager, Marketing/SUV
Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
19001 South Western Ave.
Dept. WC11
Torrance, CA 90501

Dear Mr. Higgins:

I am writing regarding Toyota’s recent announcement about the five-year alliance with the Audubon Society called “TogetherGreen.”

Many people purchase Toyota four wheel drive vehicles to access beaches and the back country for various reasons. These may include fishing, hunting, rock hounding, shell collecting, bird watching, camping, gold prospecting, trail riding, or simply exploring remote areas. I assume this is the market targeted for the Toyota FJ.

Sadly, all too often the Audubon Society is in the forefront of efforts to eliminate all vehicular access to our public lands nationwide. A present case in point is Audubon’s efforts to eliminate traditional beach vehicle access at what may be the premier surf fishing location in the world, Cape Hatteras National Seashore, North Carolina. As a life long surf fisherman this is an area of major concern to me. Some forty years ago my conservation thoughts led me to become a member of Audubon. After several years I began to see them become more and more radical in their views causing me to withdraw my support.

I have enclosed a letter by North Carolina State Senator Marc Basnight addressed to the entire North Carolina Congressional Delegation outlining the critical problem at Cape Hatteras. With Toyota funding, Audubon is attempting to ban Toyota and other vehicles from the beaches many thousands enjoy. I suggest you revise “TogetherGreen” to “TogetherBan’em.”

Several years ago, Ford donated $5 million each to Audubon and Earth Watch. It was reported the later decline in Ford sales was due, in part, to Ford’s support of these environmental extremists. I suggest you check out some of the many surf fishing website chat rooms. You will soon learn Toyota is rapidly becoming a very bad word. Be certain a Toyota product will never again rest in my garage unless there is a significant change in Toyota.

Yours truly for public lands access with conservation,

JordanA
04-08-2008, 06:15 AM
being from NC, I completely agree. I wouldn't mind them outlawing driving on parts of the coast (parts of corolla for instance due to the wild horse population and endangered birds), but that area thrives on the 4x4 community and the business it brings in. It's a sad day.

Does anyone know of the results of the hearing on Friday? I know this issue went to court then.

jsteves
04-08-2008, 09:34 AM
It just goes to show these companies dont care about our target group any longer. They just want soccer moms to drive FJ's to the fields carrying large bags of balls.