PDA

View Full Version : 99-02 Powerstroke opinions

1tongrand
04-01-2008, 08:00 PM
How do you like these trucks? fuel mileage? how many major problems. I am looking at buying 99- 02 7.3 250 or 350 4x4 with auto. I need a tow rig! THANK YOU.

BigDaveZJ
04-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Got an 01 F250 myself, CC, 7.3, auto. Mileage is a consistent 15 on winter blend, can 16-17 out of it if I baby it during the summer. Plan on replacing the tranny around 150k. That's the big weak point, everything else is pretty minor.

1tongrand
04-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks for info also any rust on yours under the bed by wheel wells. I looked at 01 250 bottom of box and frame were all rusty pretty bad i think for 01 truck. In the wheel wells by pinch weid seem i could stick 4 fingers in rust holes. just curiuos if it was a problem on alot of these trucks from salt locations..

BigDaveZJ
04-01-2008, 08:55 PM
I live in Colorado. What's rust?

gtsom6
04-01-2008, 10:18 PM
With an intake,exhuast and chip, mileage not towing can be almost 20. Like big dave said trannies are the biggest issue. Cam sensors were also an issue but I think they settled down in 2000. Good trucks but next one will be a cummins.

DLoweinc
04-02-2008, 12:07 AM
I've got an 2002 excursion with the 7.3 powerstroke... drove 400 miles round trip on saturday and got 17mpg on the freeway (not towing). tire pressure increased it 3-4mpg...

i haven't yet chipped mine, nor have i done intake or exhaust, but supposedly the edge evolution not only gives you more horsepower/torque, but also increases your MPG by 1-3...

I love the truck but did have to replace the crankshaft position sensor (which they just sent out a recall for)..

link for one of the most popular chips for 7.3 powerstrokes...

http://www.edgeproducts.com/product.php?pk=54&pvk=223

DLoweinc
04-02-2008, 12:08 AM
With an intake,exhuast and chip, mileage not towing can be almost 20. Like big dave said trannies are the biggest issue. Cam sensors were also an issue but I think they settled down in 2000. Good trucks but next one will be a cummins.

forgot to mention that i think they changed the transmission in 2003 to a better one, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong...

gtsom6
04-02-2008, 09:07 PM
From what I understand a DPTuner or Tony wildman chip is better because they can fine tune it for what ever mods may be done to your truck. And the others make generic programs for trucks within a couple years of each other. What's nice about the evolution there, is the vitals on the display save you from having to buy gauges, which are a must after chipping.

BigDaveZJ
04-02-2008, 09:39 PM
From what I understand a DPTuner or Tony wildman chip is better because they can fine tune it for what ever mods may be done to your truck. And the others make generic programs for trucks within a couple years of each other. What's nice about the evolution there, is the vitals on the display save you from having to buy gauges, which are a must after chipping.

Yup.

I've got a DP Tuner on mine.

faststang1
04-03-2008, 12:01 AM
My buddy has 01 with the the evolution and programmer and that thing is fast......also a very good tow rig......I want to get one for me soon!!!

SCAMPER ZJ
04-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Got an 01 F250 myself, CC, 7.3, auto. Mileage is a consistent 15 on winter blend, can 16-17 out of it if I baby it during the summer. Plan on replacing the tranny around 150k. That's the big weak point, everything else is pretty minor.

I just started looking at these after my trip this last week - I'm getting WAY tired of feeling like I'm risking my life every time I beat up my junk on the trail and then proceed to drive it 350+ miles at highway speeds over mountain passes back home.

A friend of mine highly recommends spending the 3-4k on a BTS (Brians truck stop) transmission. He says no one in the Colorado Power Stroke club has been able to blow one up, and those guys running 10 & 11 second quarter miles pushing 5-600 HP and well over 1000 ft/lbs.

TrojanMan
04-03-2008, 12:47 AM
Go for 2002-2003 if you can, especially if you can locate a 6-speed.

I have a 2001 7.3 and I got ~16-17 city, 20 highway before the chip. Haven't really calculated after the chip because it's too much fun with the chip to drive normally:D

markr
04-03-2008, 08:56 AM
My brother had a '99 lots of city driving he had problems with a water pump which was $250 just for parts and the injector wire harness went bad, when he got rid of it it was pushing 200K with the chip he got a lil better milage but like said before it was too much fun to stay otu of the throttle.

I know 2 guys that had Excusions that had chips and both ( they did not know each other) claimed upper 20's in mileage on the highway!!!!!!
I would have to see that!!!!!

BigDaveZJ
04-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Go for 2002-2003 if you can, especially if you can locate a 6-speed.

If you plan on putting big power to it, get a 99.5 or 2000. In 01 they started using weaker rods in the motor.

BigDaveZJ
04-03-2008, 10:32 AM
I just started looking at these after my trip this last week - I'm getting WAY tired of feeling like I'm risking my life every time I beat up my junk on the trail and then proceed to drive it 350+ miles at highway speeds over mountain passes back home.

A friend of mine highly recommends spending the 3-4k on a BTS (Brians truck stop) transmission. He says no one in the Colorado Power Stroke club has been able to blow one up, and those guys running 10 & 11 second quarter miles pushing 5-600 HP and well over 1000 ft/lbs.

That's exactly who I plan on calling when mine goes caput. They're not much more than an OEM replacement, and I've yet to hear ANYTHING bad about a BTS tranny.

Keep an eye out at Berkenkotter Motors Stan, that's where I got mine. They deal with a LOT of these trucks. They've got a place up in Ft Lupton too.

BigDaveZJ
04-03-2008, 10:33 AM
I know 2 guys that had Excusions that had chips and both ( they did not know each other) claimed upper 20's in mileage on the highway!!!!!!
I would have to see that!!!!!

And they are completely full of shit.

SCAMPER ZJ
04-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Probably a month out on pulling the trigger on this, and I still have questions. I've pretty much settled on the Ford 7.3L 1999.5-2002. I know I want a crew cab. I'm also trying to limit it to around 100k miles or less (I know the diesel has higher quality metals, tighter tolerances, etc, but I feel more comfortable with this). I want an auto trans (in case I break my leg and my wife has to drive:D), and leather interior (durability).

So. . .would a dually be overkill? I might want to hook up a goose and tow two rigs sometime down the road. Not likely, but possible. I wasn't even thinking of a dually except I keep running across them online and they don't seem to be much different in price.

F250 vs F350? The only major difference I've picked up on is that the F350 has a stiffer suspension. Right now I'm leaning towards the F350.

Dealer asking prices are $20-25k for the ones I'm looking at (some with miles as low as $60k). I checked KBB - seems about right. Thoughts?

Keep an eye out at Berkenkotter Motors Stan, that's where I got mine. They deal with a LOT of these trucks. They've got a place up in Ft Lupton too.

I'll give the folks in Ft Lupton a call, maybe swing by the lot. I also am thinking of dropping by O'Meara and Formby, they're not too far from me.

BigDaveZJ
04-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Stan,
I bought mine with 95k miles on it in Sept 06 for $17k, so there's good deals out there. Mine doesn't have the fancy leather interior or anything like that though. And the bed was pretty rough. But the cab was in good shape.

Are you planning on keeping the Audi around as a DD? If you're going to DD the truck, I would heavily advise AGAINST a dually. My CC shortbed SRW is a big enough PITA to park, couldn't imagine having to do it with a longbed DRW. I've thought about eventually hauling two rigs with mine too, and while it is pushing the limtis of a SRW IMO, I still prefer the SRW for DD purposes.

As far as suspension goes, I've got the 250 and it's bagged in the back. I've never needed to inflate the bags at all towing my ZJ and wheeling gear.

TrojanMan
04-05-2008, 03:49 PM
I'd go 350 if you can find one.. trouble I ran into was all of the 350's around here were either 6.0's, way too high mileage, or didn't have a bed.

DLoweinc
04-05-2008, 05:55 PM
And they are completely full of shit.

I'll let you know when I get my chip (if I get it... wife's purse strings are TIGHT)

side note since this is a powerstroke thread (and only a partial hijack intended)

as this is my first diesel, what should I be looking to do for a "tune up" on it? so far just did fuel filter, oil/oil filter and air filter...

/endhijack

SCAMPER ZJ
04-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Stan,
I bought mine with 95k miles on it in Sept 06 for $17k, so there's good deals out there.

Are you planning on keeping the Audi around as a DD? If you're going to DD the truck, I would heavily advise AGAINST a dually. My CC shortbed SRW is a big enough PITA to park, couldn't imagine having to do it with a longbed DRW.

As far as suspension goes, I've got the 250 and it's bagged in the back. I've never needed to inflate the bags at all towing my ZJ and wheeling gear.

Thanks Dave - sounds like if I'm patient, I'll be able to find a good deal. My wife is in full agreement with you on the SRW vs DRW, and I keep going back and forth on it. Initially I was thinking of trading in the A4, but I'm probably going to keep it as my DD. . .so I'm seriously thinking dually right now. We'll see - I'm planning on checking one out later this week:

http://www.jeepsite.net/A4/2002F350Lariat.jpg

SCAMPER ZJ
04-06-2008, 10:42 PM
How do you like these trucks? fuel mileage? how many major problems. I am looking at buying 99- 02 7.3 250 or 350 4x4 with auto. I need a tow rig! THANK YOU.

Don't know if you still need this info, but here's what a friend of mine (whom I think really knows his stuff) had to say about this topic when I e-mailed him a while back:

As far as a tow rig, you know I bleed blue, so I tend to lean towards the blue oval. In that respect there are three major diesel engines that Ford has made in recent history. The superduty started in 1999.5 with the 7.3L powerstroke. There were some issues early on, but they were worked out for the most part in 2000. The 7.3L engine stayed in the SD until very early into 2003, but the new 6.0L started in 2003 and phased out the 7.3L. The 7.3L has a fixed vane turbo (think reliable). However, the automatic transmission in these trucks will not hold up to a lot of towing or power upgrades. If the truck was used moderately and the transmission is cared for properly, you'd be fine as well, BUT be prepared for that day when you have to fix it. The 2003 & 2004 models had a lot of engine issues and I would avoid them. Some guys have great luck with them, but I know many more that had nothing but trouble. By 2005 the bugs were worked out, but there is still a turbo issue with the 6.0L diesels. My father-in-law has an '05 and when we moved my sister-in-law to Alaska pulling a horse trailer, they lost the turbo in wyoming headed back. The 6.0L turbo is a variable vane turbo, which means it starts boost way earlier in the rpms then the fixed vane turbo because it can tighten the air path. The 6.0L came almost exclusively with 5spd torq-shift transmission, which was finally something that would stand up to the stock power of a powerstroke. The 6.0L stayed in the superduty's until 2008, when they switched to the 6.4L TWIN TURBO setup. This turbo setup has one variable vane turbo and one fixed vane, so you get the best of both worlds. however, in order to meet strict diesel emmisions standards, they are injecting diesel fuel into the catalytic converters to burn off the excess emmsions, thus making the fuel mileage on these trucks terrible. There are fixes for that, but you have to be careful with those if you have to pass a diesel emmisions test. Here is an article on history. Where it differs from what i just told you; I am probably wrong. Powerstroke Diesel History (http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfs_070025_power_stroke_diesel_history/index.html)

My truck is a 2002 F-350 7.3L 6spd manual transmission, supercab. I love this truck and it has only broke down on me once which happened to be a fluke. I have made upgrades to it and it pulls and drives great! I feel lucky that I got one of the last 7.3L diesels and the 6spd transmission means I have much less to worry about when pulling.

Ok, onto the Dodges. I love the cummins engine. It's much more simple than the PSD (powerstroke deisel) because it has far less moving parts and therefore less to go wrong. However, I don't like the dodge truck. Interiors are generally cheaply made and therefore are prone to problems. It was in the mid 80's when the cummins diesel hit the market and it was a big deal for my farming family. The first model was a 12 valve, which means two valves for each of the 6 cylinders (you probably know that). In 1998 they changed the heads and went to a 24v, which boosted performance. from there I have really lost track of the dodges because I got into broncos. FWIW, my dad owns a 1998 Dodge 2500 (3/4 ton) 24v cummins. It's been a great truck for him and you might remember he's a diesel mechanic. He also owns a powerstoke excusion. Dodge History (http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/history/segment12.html)

Finally, you have the chevy with the duramax isuzu diesel. Early on these truck rattled themselves to pieces. the engines couldn't handle the power they were putting out. But I know that the bugs got worked out for the most part, but in the end you still have a chevy :-P

For your needs, you would only need a 3/4 ton truck (F-250, Dodge 2500 & chevy 2500), however I would not be afraid of a 1 ton either. I am glad I got the one-ton because it's unlikely I will outgrow it anytime soon and the ride isn't as bad as one might think. In fact, I think it's quite comfortable. You don't have to go with a diesel engine, but I think you'll be much happier if you do. Plus your budget will certainly allow it. the ford and dodge V-10's are OK, but the mileage isn't that great and a diesel will way outpull a gas engine. In fact, early this month, a friend of mine rode with me to a wheeling ranch and we took my bronco and truck on the first trip. There was one point my friend turned to me and said "I have never been up this hill this fast towing". So the next weekend, we loaded up his truck and wheeling rig and headed for the same place. His truck has the V-10 and it seemed like it was powerless. Granted, it wasn't a fair comparison. His trailer is more than double the weight mine is, his truck weighs a bit more, and I have power upgrades for my truck, but still the difference was night and day.

For gasoline engines, there isn't much out there that would allow you to tow your ZJ with with ease. People rave about the new toyota tundra, but I don't know that it would tow your ZJ that well. I think it's designed for lighter loads and it still is a 1/2 ton truck. If you had a sami, then you might be OK.

One other thing I'd like to add is that diesels take a little more maintenance. My truck requires 15qts of oil for each change. I also recommend you run a fuel treatment in every tank of fuel unless you buy a truck that was designed around the new ULSD (ultra-low sulfur diesel) diesel fuel. Fuel filters need flushed regularly (every 20k or so) and/or replaced. This is my experience on my truck and the other big three could be different, but I know maintenance costs are higher on any diesel compared to it's gasoline brother. But the difference in power and fuel mileage generally makes up that difference.

BigDaveZJ
04-07-2008, 10:37 AM
I didn't read through the Chebby and Dodge stuff cuz I know nothing about them, but everything about the Ford seems spot on.

Stan,
I think the biggest key is patience and being able to jump on the right truck when you find it. In the time it took me to do the paperwork on my truck, probably 5 more people came in wanting to drive it. If you're in a situation where you can be patient, which you are, and then able to pounce on the right deal when you do find it, you'll come away with a good truck. That DRW may have some work done to it too, the clearance lights are not stock. I personally prefer a stock vehicle, then I can choose what is done to it, I wouldn't buy anything highly modified. Even moreso if it's got a chip, and no gauges. Now once you get a truck, then we can start discussing what you can do to it! I've got the Diesel Manor ISSPRO gauges (tranny, boost, pyro), AFE Stage II intake, DP Tuner, and as soon as funds allow, 4" MBRP exhaust. Should be a nice setup for efficiency and power. I drove Pam's V8 ZJ last night and it felt like a weak 4.0 after spending so much time in my truck.

1tongrand
04-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Thank you for replys i will try to find the right one. I would rather a stocker because i can do what i would want to it. But for now it will stay stock because of greens$$. when it's paid for i will hack into it. Again thank alot i will post pics when i score one.;)

SCAMPER ZJ
04-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Again thank alot i will post pics when i score one.;)

Right on 1tongrand, we'll look forward to seeing them!

Dave, I signed up at the Colorado Power Stroke Club (http://www.coloradopowerstrokeclub.com/) forums last night. I saw you are a member already! I will heed your advice and wait. What you said about buying as close to stock as possible makes sense - the last thing I want is to buy a truck that someone has either abused or modded incorrectly.

BigDaveZJ
04-07-2008, 05:12 PM
CPSC is a great resource. You are also lucky in that you live on the north side of town, so you are much closer to Rocky at Rockin S Performance. http://www.rspdiesel.com/

Rocky is a great guy who really knows his way around a Powerstroke, and his rates are very reasonable too. I took my truck up to him last spring to fix an issue with the under valve cover harness that had me running on 4 cylinders for a while (that was fun towing back from OCG . . .)

dasVettemeister
04-07-2008, 06:23 PM
That DRW may have some work done to it too, the clearance lights are not stock.

Factory option.

BigDaveZJ
04-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Factory option.

Fully aware of that, but they appear to be the smoked lenses which are not a factory option like the orange lenses are. :fart:

SCAMPER ZJ
05-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Just bought one. . .:D:D:D

*EDIT* finally have some pics:

http://www.jeepsite.net/F250/P1010300small.jpg

http://www.jeepsite.net/F250/P1010297small.jpg

2002 F250 7.3L TD CC SRW Lariat - only has 64k miles - it's a buyer's market with the price of diesel ($110 to fill a not-completely-empty tank today)