PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer In Rear Hatch?

PassRunnerZJ
03-31-2008, 01:33 AM
I need to pull the interior panel off of the rear hatch to install some foam along the perimeter to silence the vibrations in the rear and I figured while I was there that I would scope the feasability of putting a sub in there. I was in there a couple of years ago to work on the latch and it seemed like there was a far amount of room and I'm checking to see if anyone has done it or if it is worth spending the time on it.

96_zjlarado
03-31-2008, 03:27 AM
if you built a fiberglass enclosure and used a slim mount sub, like the pioneer unit, you could do it. you'd be using a prop rod or a set of vice grips on the hatch struts to keep the hatch open tho, due to the added weight.

DJJordache
03-31-2008, 09:05 AM
yeah the low profile pioneer ones are about your only hope for a sub in there...
the other options for a sub are the JL audio stealthbox for the passenger side and the MTX thunderform for the driver side both hold 10's

TrojanMan
03-31-2008, 10:25 AM
I'd also put some sort of a rubber gasket around the license plate to keep down vibes.

BigDaveZJ
03-31-2008, 10:38 AM
I would think you'd have to build an enclosure into the hatch. There's no way the sheet metal in the hatch is thick enough to sound good with a sub in there. I remember on my sister's old XJ we put some decent 5.25" speakers in the rear hatch and they sounded like butt cuz of the craptacular acoustic qualities of the hatch.

PassRunnerZJ
03-31-2008, 09:26 PM
Yea, I thought about the weight issue and the struts after posting, but figured that I would see what the feedback is. The license plate isn't an issue since I had to move it to the tire carrier on the bumper to be visible. I'll do some measurements and see, but I think that I would be better off mounting one on the driverside (need storage on the passenger side) unless I convert that space into an air tank, but I'll have to do a cost benifit analysis of the time to do that vs. good sounds. My bother gave me a good airpump for Christmas and if it does as good as it should I'll apply the space to audio bling or boom.

Thanks for that info though, more food for thought. Probably won't happen until after GSW though since I have other places to spend the efforts.

Puchase winch
Install winch
Install new Hella's I purchased
See if portable LED trouble light will work for a rock light and then purchase 3 more
Replace shocks
Build mounts for changing from factory front shock mounts to get longer droop shocks
Finish axles if the gods of weekends and trips to Denver line up (33's are on and tested so it isn't a really big deal for the trails I'm leading)
SYE on rebuilt 231 and replacement rear driveshaft

dirty
06-05-2008, 04:41 PM
This is how I managed my enclosure for my Grand. It's only a 10", but it works quite well.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16437

~dirt