PDA

View Full Version : Ol Rusty project begins

Mtn WJ
03-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Well I am finally going to get started on Ol Rusty. Rusty is a family friend we have owned for over 10 years. Its a 1949 Ford F1 truck. It has a running Flat Head V8 that I was able to GPS clock at 90 MPH. However the engine is getting tired and I want something more of a Hot Rod. I am pulling the Flatty to replace it with a 302. I will keep the Flat Head to use in a long term future project of building an old T or A hot rod like the old old school models in the 40s.

I bought the 302 several months ago from a friend. It came from a 71 EB with only 63k miles on it. I am picking it up tomorrow. This is the last year of the higher compression 302s until the mid eighties and is stock apx 235 hp. (some conflicting numbers out there). I drove the EB and it runs strong. I am using the wire harness, and control knobs with my truck as they will look retro and basically the same wire scheme as a truck would be. The 302 will start out with a new mild cam, intake, 4bbl and headers. I am shooting for 275hp and eventually want over 300 with new heads. I am just doing a gasket port match on the stock head DIY for now.

I am undecided on the tranny. I was planning on using the EB 3 speed and changing the tail shaft to 2wd as it will locate the shifter in the right spot. However I do have a top loader 4 speed but it will not really put the shifter where it will be ok. Another option is a T5 from an S 10. I read a recent article and it will be a great fit. My fear is will it handle the hp of the 302 after I have finished building it. The article swapped a WC T5 with the S10 tail shaft and put it behind a Hemi. This is getting expensive.

For now I am building more of a rat rod look because I am sure my boys will get into a parking lot bump or two. Later on when they are on their own I will plan to do a full custom paint etc.

Keith

jsteves
03-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Sounds like a great project!

BigDaveZJ
03-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Finally one of your vehicles will have a real motor! :flipoff2:

Mtn WJ
03-21-2008, 02:37 PM
Ahaa real motor. I am afraid that it will not be enough in short order though. Well see. I have been looking at Heads and may do them now.

Its a matter of doing the Mustang II suspension now or later. Lets see more power or better steering.

Mtn WJ
03-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Well I got the 302 and other parts home and set up on the engine stand. The engine internals are pretty clean. I am searching the net for the best price on the Edelbrock stuff. I want a mild Cam, street dominator intake and 600 CFM carb. I found some retro looking finned valve covers and air cleaner. I ordered them. I also need to get an electronic distributor but not sure which one yet. One more thing I am looking for are late 80s factory Mustang headers. They are block huggers and stainless steel. All in time.

Still contemplating selling the Flatty as it will go a long ways towards my build budget if I do. Its a hard thing to part with.

BigDaveZJ
03-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Swap the flatty into the WJ!!

Mtn WJ
03-25-2008, 10:57 PM
SMART ASS!!!!