PDA

View Full Version : Environmentally Friendly OHV Park?

SirFuego
03-13-2008, 01:52 PM
This was posted on the local club forum and thought I would pass it along and get everyone's thoughts. I know nothing about the owners or the park itself except what is on the website.

4wd Farm (http://www.4wdfarm.com/index.html) is a small off-road park opening in upstate NY catering towards light to moderate wheeling. 33s are the max tire size allowed, the trails aren't meant to be "hardcore", and prices look similar to Jeep Jamborees. But it's going to be a new, legal place to wheel, so that's awesome.

That stuff aside, the thing I found the most interesting is the Green Energy (http://www.4wdfarm.com/greenenergy.html) link on the website.

As the "Farm of the Future", we will demonstrate the many energy options for rural locations. We will develop, experiment as well as utilize the following green sources of energy: Wind, Hydropower, Solar, Geothermal, and Bio Diesel Fuels.
It is our intent to develop, manufacture, market and install affordable self sufficient methods of renewable energy production for small rural and recreation applications.
Fields of Dreams Family 4WD Farm will experiment in the world of growing bio mass for energy. We will investigate and document the return on developing marginal farm land into a renewable energy source. SUNY ESF is a world leader in bio mass energy. Their highly successful shrub willow program has created significant interest and development.I think this might be an interesting approach -- an offroad park that also researches and develops renewable and alternative energy sources.

Is this a "novel" idea or are there other places out there similar to this?

Thoughts?

canadian_driver
03-13-2008, 02:00 PM
thats sweet, might plan a trip there with my buddy who just bought a yota

BigDaveZJ
03-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Sounds cool, but the 33" tire limit is pretty lame IMO.

ATL ZJ
03-13-2008, 02:34 PM
For someone who really gets excited about the possibilities of renewable energy and alternative fuels, that place kind of irritates me. If I wanted rules, I'd retake driver's Ed. Tire size limitations? Who is more likely to have more trouble on a trail and displace soil, the guy with 35s and a lockright, or mister under-equipped with no lockers and 31s at the wear bars?

Cool, my Titan has 31s, but wait, I can't even take my tow rig there. Or a subjectively large SUV...

The best parks have the fewest rules and the lowest tolerance for stupidity.

SirFuego
03-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Well, I know the place doesn't seem perfect in terms of the rules. Perhaps after it's open for a while, things will change.

The point I intended to make about this was the idea of linking environmental research to an ohv park. I would think that if other parks were seeking grants and other funding for environmental research (perhaps filtered through local companies or universities), that places to wheel would be "safe" from being shut down since the research being conducted is of benefit to the environment.

Jeeperoni91
11-26-2008, 12:14 AM
"We have set limits of 35" high tires with a maximum lift of 6""

i'm all for new OHV trails, but that place bring the gay.

OverkillZJ
11-26-2008, 12:20 AM
Sounds like they're just marketing towards the ignorant / green happy that can't think for themselves...

ATL ZJ
11-26-2008, 12:40 AM
A second look at their website makes me laugh again.

Their rating system is hilarious... 3 to 6? What happened to one and two? From the descriptions (12" rocks), that would make your average grand slam moderate trail start around, what... 39? I accidentally pull my stock titan up onto 12"+ rocks trying to get into my driveway.

I was going to predict that they'd go out of business quickly, but with the daily prices they charge, they don't need many visitors. Not to mention their income from greenie grants.

OverkillZJ
11-26-2008, 12:45 AM
I doubt they'll go under, they found a niche market that can support it, but we all know it's bullshit, ugh.

Technohead
11-26-2008, 09:11 AM
I respect the owner's for stepping up to the plate and opening land for 4WD's. We need more of these off-road parks. Marketing the facility as a destination for families and promoting alternative energy makes for great strategy as we battle against extremists who try to portray us as a bunch of drunken hooligans tearing up the land.

I agree that the rules seem a bit silly. The one requiring all vehicles to be washed before leaving the facility made me choke on my coffee! But, for all we know these rules were instituted in order to overcome local opposition to the park. . .

With regards to the trail ratings, they are using the exact (word-for-word) system that my local Jeep club uses. The rating system goes from 1-10 so I assume they don't have any 1-2 and 7-10. I'm not 100% sure where this trail rating system comes from but I though it was from UFWDA.

Lastly, I want to laugh every time I hear the term "renewable" energy. I'm all in favor of alternative energy and conservation but there is no such thing as renewable energy. The laws of thermodynamics say so. Energy is constantly transformed from a state of higher availability to lower availability. At some point there will be nothing left. Period.

SirFuego
11-26-2008, 10:07 AM
I haven't heard anything more about this place. Supposedly one of the local Jeep clubs had a meeting with the owners and the topic of pricing was brought up ($125/day??!?). The owners would not budge at all because they are targeting the "rich 20-30 something crowd that would have no problem paying". The funny part is that all of NY except for NYC isn't exactly known for it's rich, young people -- and the park isn't near NYC.

Cam -- your trail rating comment made me laugh :)

Ken L
11-26-2008, 11:33 AM
One comment on the washing vehicles on site. Among the enviro nazi crowd, "invasive species" has become a new buzz word. The spread of these invasives has become a big issue here in Wisconsin, and I doubt that our Natural Resources department is progressive enough to be alone in that. Washing vehicles in the area where the seeds and stuff were potentially picked up is the way that's been identified to slow any potential spread of these plants. For example, here they want boaters to make sure that their bilges are emptied before driving away, and especially if they're going to a new body of water.

These freaks have carried it one step farther though. At a meeting on Invasive Species, they went so far as to say that horse shit could be a transferer of invasives. Studies have shown that horse shit dropped on horse trails didn't cause any seeds to root, and the spread of invasives was limited. But, seriously, someone had to study that to prove the enviros wrong. And here all along I thought horses were "green".

As far as I know, there are no studies that say that seeds transfered on muddy/dirty 4x4s or ATVs are similar to seeds in horse shit. I suppose someone needs to study that.....

Pearce
11-26-2008, 01:41 PM
One comment on the washing vehicles on site. Among the enviro nazi crowd, "invasive species" has become a new buzz word. The spread of these invasives has become a big issue here in Wisconsin, and I doubt that our Natural Resources department is progressive enough to be alone in that. Washing vehicles in the area where the seeds and stuff were potentially picked up is the way that's been identified to slow any potential spread of these plants. For example, here they want boaters to make sure that their bilges are emptied before driving away, and especially if they're going to a new body of water.

These freaks have carried it one step farther though. At a meeting on Invasive Species, they went so far as to say that horse shit could be a transferer of invasives. Studies have shown that horse shit dropped on horse trails didn't cause any seeds to root, and the spread of invasives was limited. But, seriously, someone had to study that to prove the enviros wrong. And here all along I thought horses were "green".

As far as I know, there are no studies that say that seeds transfered on muddy/dirty 4x4s or ATVs are similar to seeds in horse shit. I suppose someone needs to study that.....

Looks like they better stop birds from migrating across the country :smt017

nierace
11-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Sounds like a good place to wheel your Honda CRV. I bet you Car & Driver uses it for their "test" drives they do on the small SUV's.

Definitely isnt a spot catered to MC.

elmer_fud
11-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Sounds like a good place to wheel your Honda CRV. I bet you Car & Driver uses it for their "test" drives they do on the small SUV's.

Definitely isnt a spot catered to MC.

naah, its a good place to wheel a prius :D

Ken L
11-26-2008, 06:49 PM
Looks like they better stop birds from migrating across the country :smt017

I know it doesn't make sense but that's what we're forced to deal with.

piku303
11-28-2008, 12:50 AM
I know it doesn't make sense but that's what we're forced to deal with.

freshwater clams in the south are an "invasive species" that attach their sperm/sex sack to birds feet and the birds flew progressively further and brought the clams here. they originated in california.

Spr-T-23
11-28-2008, 04:20 AM
damn econuts

UTChavok
12-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Rating 6
Quite rocky or deep ruts. Rocks to 12" and frequent. Water crossings may exceed hub depth. Passable mud. Challenging mud. Mud may require additional crossing attempts at bogs and holes. Ditches, trenches, moats and ravines. Moderate grades to 20 degrees. Sidehills may approach 30 degrees. 4WD necessary and second attempts may be required with stock vehicles. As with all of our trails there are safety loops around our challenging obstacles.

Wow whod of thunk it that 4wd would be needed at an OHV park. I cant believe theyd expect anyone to wheel for $125 a day.

Goosed76
12-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Great to see a place opening, but this is just ridiculous. Your stock JK Warangler (not even a rubicon) would blow through these trails without much of an effort- and thats almost the limit of what you can bring, considering the tire height restriction, you can clear 35's with basically a leveling kit. This park deffinetly caters to the guy who has a shit ton of money, bought a jeep, and has a fear of being ridiculed by people who actually know how to wheel. Even if I lived in New York, I wouldn't plan a trip to this place, especially not for $125 a day.

Spr-T-23
12-21-2008, 02:45 PM
$16.25 for an orv sticker and 10 bucks for park access to the mounds here is alot more like it