PDA

View Full Version : Lodging-GSW 08

Pitch
03-04-2008, 04:18 PM
As of today, the Redstone is completely booked for the 28th, 29th, and 31st of May.

Time to find alternate digs... or just wait a couple of more weeks like last year when more rooms opened up.

ArloGuthroJeep
03-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Freaking eh:( I knew I was slacking off. Did you ask and see whether they had a waiting list going on or should I just check back often?

BigDaveZJ
03-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Try the place across the street, can't remember the name, but I want to say the same people own that place that own the Redstone.

fpkites
03-04-2008, 05:33 PM
That would be the Big Horn Lodge. They were going to be my alternative last year, then Redstone had an opening.

Hey Ryan......told ya so :rofl:

Ted_Z
03-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Ah $#!+. I knew I shouldn't have procrastinated.

fpkites
03-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Keep calling every couple weeks - they may get cancellations like they did last year. Or call the Big Horn - they're owned by the same people as Redstone, but I don't think they participate in the group rate we get at RS.

Ted_Z
03-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Can anyone comment on the "Apache Motel" or the "Silver Sage Inn"? They are both about $70/night and have rooms available

Cody
03-04-2008, 08:05 PM
I've stayed at the apache and it's pretty ghetto--similarly so to the Big Horn. Not impressed with either of them. The bowen is in the same group as well.

For hotels, the Archway wasn't too bad, the Ramada isn't too bad either. Actually, the motel 6 is pretty new and not too bad either.

I'm not sure what the prices are though. There is also a Best Western or something like that accross the street from the Brewery (just due south of the Redstone) that is really nice, but I would expect it to be a little more expensive.

JohnBoulderCO
03-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Guess I'm looking too. :doh:

jsteves
03-05-2008, 11:53 AM
There is a Laquinta right across the street from Moab Brewery. We have stayed there before. It is nice but a bit more pricey. I wanna say like $95 a night.

ArloGuthroJeep
03-05-2008, 06:56 PM
I called the Red Stone Inn asked to be put on a waiting list. Said no one else had so I am #1 suckers:flipoff2:

Edit: And I called their sister hotel, the Big Horn and they're full that weekend as well.

Matt
03-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Looks like I'll be staying at the Coleman Inn again this year. :D

InIt4TheFun
03-08-2008, 12:22 AM
I waited too long to get into Cedar Breaks so got a reservation at Purple sage. Walking distance to party with guys at Cedar Breaks.;)

It has bunk beds if someone wants one for $35 a night. No hidden cost or tax. Just $35 and no more. I do have a dog that will be with me but there is a full kitchen.

Just figured I would offer the bunk beds if someone wants to lodge that way.

http://www.moabutahlodging.com/pages/purple.htm

froggo27
03-08-2008, 12:26 AM
hmm i might be interested. i need to find a place too.

Matt
03-08-2008, 03:56 AM
I'd be interested Will. Let me know.

nate
03-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Same here. Free vs $95 a night... hard choice there :D

Looks like I'll be staying at the Coleman Inn again this year. :D

Ted_Z
03-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Called again today, got in for the nights of the 29th and 30th, wait-listed on the 31st.

Anyone had any success for the 31st?

ArloGuthroJeep
03-10-2008, 02:37 PM
wtf...I was first on the wait list and now you took my room?:(

BigDaveZJ
03-10-2008, 02:38 PM

I'm guessing since they didn't have availability for your whole stay they didn't let you know? :confused:

Cody
03-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Same here. Free vs $95 a night... hard choice there :D
hmm, hanging out with friends in town, having a BBQ in my front yard, having a reasonably good place to work on things, sleeping with the AC on, making a nice breakfast, and having a nice shower for ~$40 per night vs. sleeping in 90* heat away from town, getting up earlier to commute, and bumming or paying for a shower at the campground.

true, that’s a tough choice. ;)

I do a lot of camping in Moab and S. Utah (probably 40 nights a year), and I’ve camped during GSW, but from my experience it’s just much more fun and convenient to be in town and with a comfortable place to crash. When you spend 13 hours in 100* heat stacking rocks and dragging 5500# rigs through Pritchett, it’s nice to have a shower and a clean bed to sleep in ;)

I doubt it'll be unbearably hot this year though. Just barely early enough to miss the scorching heat (most likely).

jsteves
03-10-2008, 03:58 PM

They are going to be booked no matter what. So, would it really be worth it for them to call you? Nope.

ArloGuthroJeep
03-10-2008, 04:04 PM
I'd like to believe that if they bothered putting me on a waiting list, they would at least honor it. I'll go with Dave's answer since it puts a bit of faith in humanity:flipoff2:

Ted_Z
03-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Sorry I took your room Ryan! Give them a call, maybe they still have a couple more for the 29/30th. They said something about a tour group coming through the night of the 31st so I might be camping that night!

ArloGuthroJeep
03-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Called and at least got a night for the 30th...I'll work on harassing them every couple days.:cool:

jsteves
03-11-2008, 12:32 PM
I'd like to believe that if they bothered putting me on a waiting list, they would at least honor it. I'll go with Dave's answer since it puts a bit of faith in humanity:flipoff2:

I have faith in humanity but not the people standing behind the counter at a motel. They get paid either way.

rrubio
03-11-2008, 01:22 PM
I have been booked at Redstone for about a month now.So today I call to double check my status and they said my dates are for Wed,Thursday and Friday.They screwed up on the dates that I told them.So now that there booked I have to wait till the manager calls Kim or me back..

fpkites
03-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Oh shit...I better double check mine then. Thanks for the heads-up Ramon.

ArloGuthroJeep
03-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Ramon I'll trade you my Friday night stay for your Thursday and Friday night stay:D

rrubio
03-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Ramon I'll trade you my Friday night stay for your Thursday and Friday night stay:D

Thats a deal I can't pass up Ryan...

rrubio
03-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Oh shit...I better double check mine then. Thanks for the heads-up Ramon.

I was not going to call them but Kim asked me to double check to make sure were set for rooms..

fpkites
03-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Whew...just got off the phone with them - my res is good. Arriving Thursday, and actually staying an additional day. Leaving Tuesday.

rrubio
03-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Whew...just got off the phone with them - my res is good. Arriving Thursday, and actually staying an additional day. Leaving Tuesday.

Ill be leaving sometime on Sunday as I usually do.

Ted_Z
03-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Ok, I"m giving up on the redstone. They have a big tour group that weekend so its unlikely that I'll get off the wait list.

I made a new reservation at the Silver Sage Inn for the 29th to the 1st. I figure its about equally ghetto as any of the other low priced hotels in Moab. Its about 1/3 mile up the road from the Red Stone. $65 thursday night, $70 for friday and saturday nights.

I went with Silver Sage for a few reasons, first I didn't want to have to swap hotels on the middle of a trip. Second all the rooms are on the ground floor and they have storage sheds available at no charge, perfect for spare parts and gear lugging. Trailer parking too. Wireless, refrigerators and microwaves. I'll have to crash the Big horn to use their pool however.

ArloGuthroJeep
03-15-2008, 08:51 PM
So Ted you had a room for the 29th as well? I think I'll call up and try and snag it. Silger Sage eh...perhaps I'll check that out as well.

fpkites
03-15-2008, 11:30 PM
The cool kids stay at the Redstone though :rofl:

Last year, I missed out at first, but I kept calling every couple weeks and finally got my reservation for the full stay. The bus tours frequently have cancellations. Just food for thought, guys.

Cody
03-17-2008, 12:49 PM
The cool kids stay at the Redstone though :rofl:

actually, the cool kids usually avoid the redstone ;) or at least I do :D

Cue-Ball
03-18-2008, 01:15 PM
If anyone needs a room at the Redstone PM me.

I have a reservation there for two rooms that I need to cancel, we decided to get a condo instead as there were more of us coming out than we thought originally.

Dirk

Pitch
03-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Well, I looked into some condos as well, but for only 2 or 3 people, a hotel is just the cheaper way to go.

So... we will be staying at the Silver Sage Inn.

rrubio
03-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Well they could not fix there screw up,there all booked up.So it looks like ill be finding some other hotel for Saturday night.

ArloGuthroJeep
03-19-2008, 05:12 PM
I booked up at the Silver Sage Inn as well this afternoon, ($78/night including tax) but am still going to hold out for the red stone...I'll make up my mind by early-Mid april so I am not hogging reservations at two places:(

PassRunnerZJ
03-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Super 8'ing it. A little more, but I get to collect points for free nights so it works out decent in the end. Decent pool, hot tub, and free breakfast.

Cue-Ball
03-21-2008, 09:16 PM
If anyone needs a room at the Redstone PM me.

I have a reservation there for two rooms that I need to cancel, we decided to get a condo instead as there were more of us coming out than we thought originally.

Dirk

Reservations have been changed.

Glad I could help a couple of people out.

Dirk

Mtn WJ
03-31-2008, 05:16 PM
Well we made our reservations at the newer Motel 6 on the North end of town next to the river. It has a pool in which my kids like and is 74.99 per night. It seems they have more rooms available for that weekend if anyone else is still looking. See you all in Moab. Keith S

nate
04-02-2008, 05:00 PM
http://www.moab-utah.com/packcreekrv/

I'm probably going to stay here if I'm able to go.

Cody
04-02-2008, 05:17 PM
If you're looking for camping, why not just camp up in Sand flats for $10, be closer to town, and have more scenic camping? At least more scenic than the lot behind the pack creek trailer park lol.

nate
04-02-2008, 06:08 PM
Is there a shower/toilet at Sand Flats? I'm not exactly sure where that is. Not sure where Pack Creek is either, just it was scouted out last year for our Idaho Moab Mash trip this fall and I was told it looked like a nice place.

Cody
04-02-2008, 06:57 PM
pack creek is behind a trailer park about 5-8 miles south of town.

Sand flats is the area where the slickrock bike trail is, hells revenge, dump bump is right at the entrance. You can pull a trailer up there, have a fire, and the spots are more primitive than a cement pad with a piece of dirt next to it.

there are pit toilets, but no showers. If you want a shower go pay the car was $1 (don't pull the hi-pressure trigger though) or pay SRCG $2 to use theirs I think the hippy hostel sells showers for a buck or two too, and you know those soap dodging hair farmers don't shower so they are probably spotless.

But I thought you wanted to camp and didn't care about a shower? You were hardcore, don't care about the heat/dirt/showers etc. Now you want a shower? Maybe you need to find a campground that also has a bed, bathroom, A/C, a TV, kitchen, and is right in the middle of town. Thats still camping right? ;)

nate
04-02-2008, 10:25 PM
A place to shit and shower is nice. I don't need to be smelling like rotten ass and sweaty balls around public... even if that turns you on Cody.

Colorado 5.9
04-03-2008, 06:51 AM
Well we made our reservations at the newer Motel 6 on the North end of town next to the river. It has a pool in which my kids like and is 74.99 per night. It seems they have more rooms available for that weekend if anyone else is still looking. See you all in Moab. Keith S

I thought you made reservations at the Red Stone along time ago?

Slacker!!!!:flipoff2:

Cody
04-03-2008, 12:25 PM
A place to shit and shower is nice. I don't need to be smelling like rotten ass and sweaty balls around public... even if that turns you on Cody.

Hey, there is nothing better than sweaty balls in the morning.

Mtn WJ
04-04-2008, 05:22 PM
I thought you made reservations at the Red Stone along time ago?

Slacker!!!!:flipoff2:

Nope I didnt make them when I should have. So now its the Motel 6. I told them I would be checking in late on Thursday after the meet and greet. I asked them to keep the light on for me and they agreed.

Cody
04-04-2008, 06:30 PM
lol

BigDaveZJ
04-04-2008, 06:50 PM
I wonder how many on this board would even get that joke or know who Tom Bodette (sp??) is?

fpkites
04-04-2008, 07:00 PM
I'm Tom Bodette for Motel 6, and we'll leave the lube open for ya.

PassRunnerZJ
04-04-2008, 07:39 PM
...and a meth lab down the hall (around here some times). I remember the ads. It's funny when people get busted for cooking in a motel room, do they think that House Keeping isn't going to notice?

At least the 6'er in Moab is nice.

bburgi
04-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Alrighty, I just now got registered for GSW, so I'm a bit behind the curve here for lodging. Never been to Moab either, so I'm going on recommendations alone.

My main concern is money - I'm really going to be pushing it to afford the gas for the trip, so even an extra $250 for lodging is probably out of the question. Anyone have a link to that $10 campsite that Cody mentioned? I'd love to be in town with everyone else, but I figure the most important thing is being in Moab at all.

PassRunnerZJ
04-18-2008, 10:00 PM
http://www.google.com/search?q=moab+campgrounds&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7DMUS

This lists a lot of them and some of the BLM campgrounds are inexpense. I'm not certain, but I think that there is free camping a little way off the road to Dubinky Wells road right after it it turns off of Hwy 313. I think this is very primitive and might even be so primitive that you have to take your own port-a-poty.

I've done a couple of the close to town campgrounds and having a shower at the end of the day is nice. Probably cost about $40 or so a night though.

fpkites
04-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Canyonlands RV is directly next door (south) of the Red Stone Inn. Prices:

http://www.canyonlandsrv.com/pricespolicies.html

Last year, I actually had a reservation with them thinking I was going to pull my popup out there, then kept calling Red Stone and got it. Pricing isn't too shabby, and it's close to many of the other attendees.

For those wanting to stay at the Red Stone, don't give up just yet. Call every week and see if they have anything open. Sometimes the bus tours have cancellations.

DansZJ
04-18-2008, 11:51 PM
Canyonlands RV is directly next door (south) of the Red Stone Inn. Prices:

http://www.canyonlandsrv.com/pricespolicies.html

Last year, I actually had a reservation with them thinking I was going to pull my popup out there, then kept calling Red Stone and got it. Pricing isn't too shabby, and it's close to many of the other attendees.

For those wanting to stay at the Red Stone, don't give up just yet. Call every week and see if they have anything open. Sometimes the bus tours have cancellations.
I stayed at Canyonlands during EJS 2007. Nice place, clean showers and bathrooms. I stayed in the back tent site for $20 or so per night and it included use of the showers. They also have free wi-fi. The tent site is on grass, and it's covered with a picnic table and fire pit.
I will be off of work from the 24th, so I may be going up earlier than Wednesday, if I do, I will stay here for the first couple nights.

And yes, a shower at the end of a hot summer day spent on a dusty trail feels great. That and a couple ice cold beers. :D

fpkites
04-18-2008, 11:54 PM
Only a couple? Lightweight :flipoff2: :rofl:

BigDaveZJ
04-19-2008, 12:00 AM
We stayed in one of the cabins at Canyonlands when we went out there in September. Definitely a viable alternative to the Redstone.

DansZJ
04-19-2008, 12:27 AM
Only a couple? Lightweight :flipoff2: :rofl:

:finga: Wudeva. Have you seen my avatar? There is a reason there's a beer in my hand! I'm leading trails so I gotta be good.

InIt4TheFun
04-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Alrighty, I just now got registered for GSW, so I'm a bit behind the curve here for lodging. Never been to Moab either, so I'm going on recommendations alone.

My main concern is money - I'm really going to be pushing it to afford the gas for the trip, so even an extra $250 for lodging is probably out of the question. Anyone have a link to that $10 campsite that Cody mentioned? I'd love to be in town with everyone else, but I figure the most important thing is being in Moab at all.

If you are driving up from TX and want to break up you trip, you can crash at my house in CO Springs. Would mean driving up Wed to springs, crash for night and then to moab on Thurs.

Your call but more than happy to put you up for the night and same thing on return.

bburgi
04-21-2008, 09:36 PM
If you are driving up from TX and want to break up you trip, you can crash at my house in CO Springs. Would mean driving up Wed to springs, crash for night and then to moab on Thurs.

Your call but more than happy to put you up for the night and same thing on return.

Yeah, I'll be driving all the way up from Austin, so it's a pretty long trip for me.

I really appreciate the offer to crash at your place - We're finalizing the plans right now for the drive up, so I will let you know asap if I need to take you up on it.

ArloGuthroJeep
04-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Sweeeet, I have my rooms at the Red Stone for all three nights now thanks to Dirk and CrisT...thanks:smt041

And to those still looking, I think there should be some on Friday and/or Saturday available now as well.

Cue-Ball
04-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Glad I could help, see you there!!!!!!

Dirk

bburgi
04-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the offer to stay at your place, but it looks like it's going to be next year before I'll make it out to GSW. I get closer every year, and come hell or high water I will be there next time... probably.