PDA

View Full Version : Anybody make their own biodiesel?

TrojanMan
03-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Looks like diesel (gas won't be far behind) might hit $4 per gallon by the time spring/summer rolls around. I can't afford that and want to start making biodiesel. Anybody here make their own and reccomend any certain kit or process? I've been browsing around and there's a whole world of information out there.. too much to handle!

BigDaveZJ
03-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Can't help much with the actual process, but you still have to give Uncle Sam his taxes on any fuel that you use. Also, keep fuel filters on hand because you WILL need to change it again pretty quickly running Bio. And also keep a close eye on your fuel lines, as the Bio can chew through them if they're not in good shape.

I've run a lot of B20 through my truck, and a tank of B100 last summer (too damn hard to find). Truck ran smooth, no real difference in mpg or power.

silber
03-03-2008, 03:09 PM
I make my own biodiesel after a night of heavy drinking and Taco Bell...

OverkillZJ
03-03-2008, 03:19 PM
I make my own biodiesel after a night of heavy drinking and Taco Bell...

Nice!

Skyline
03-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Just saw $4.11 diesel around here.

Cue-Ball
03-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Talk with Marc (rollinballsdeep) he has a guy that makes it for him and he runs it in the tow rig all the time. Has been for a year or so if not more.

cashflowdub
03-03-2008, 09:25 PM
they prolly make special filters and fuel lines for bio diesel look into that

TrojanMan
08-15-2011, 02:36 AM
3.5 years later and I just finished my plans for my own biodiesel plant. With the design I have I should be able to meet all ASTM specs and the setup should cost around 1,000-1,250 bucks (haven't finished pricing things out, just a ballpark). Anybody have input this time around?

ZJ TINS
08-15-2011, 02:38 PM
What are you going to do with all the glycerol left over?

TrojanMan
08-16-2011, 10:41 PM
I might make soap if I have time. Otherwise I'll just dispose of it. Once I get my main process running properly I'll do glycerin demethylation (I already do it on the biodiesel) in order to save money on methanol.

ZJ TINS
08-17-2011, 01:31 PM
When I saw a demo on a 75 gal tank about 22 gallon was glycerol. I was readign where the market price has dropped to almost nothing due to the biodiesel movement. You might try to find coop where they take it and clean it enough to sell. Might make a few bucks that way for a 'waste' product. From an EPA perspective I am not sure how you can legally get rid of it cheaply. Thats the biggest drawback around here and many are just burning the cleaned oil (not as good a fuel but no significant waste to dump).

I also wondered if dynamite(nitro-glycerine) manufacturers could use the stuff.

churchill00
12-12-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm starting up my equipment with a reactor and one dry column, I'm wondering what kind of equipment are you using to do Biodiesel demethylation? For glycerin I'm using a still pipe on a 200lts drum. Are you doing something similar? Thanks