PDA

View Full Version : 44a c-clip eliminators

IslandZJ
02-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Any companys out there offer a c-clip eliminator for the 44a. Or is there an eliminator from another application that could be made to work.
Thanks

adam99wj
02-29-2008, 12:24 AM
swap in a WJ 44 alum , they have non c clip axle shafts

piku303
02-29-2008, 02:58 AM
its not a simple bolt and go operation. wjs use a different rear suspension, so cutting and welding will be required to put your zj brackets on.

IslandZJ
02-29-2008, 03:01 AM
could i just weld a flange on the end of my zj axle tube with the correct bolt pattern for the retaining plate to mount to and just throw in wj shafts? or are the shafts different. different lengths? different bearing?

IndyZJ
02-29-2008, 03:02 AM
why exactly do you want to get rid of the c clips if the disks/ calipers will hold the shaft in if it breaks? just curious... is there some other reason you wish to eliminate the c clips?

edit: could you get the 44a with drums, or is it disks only?

IslandZJ
02-29-2008, 03:13 AM
I realise that the caliper will hold it in but i figured it wouldnt be to good for the caliper or disk to have that side pressure on it. If im out in the middle of nowhere and break a c clip i dont know how good it would be to wheel all the way out with the axle shafte pushing on the caliper.
Maybe its not a big deal tho? Why does everybody say that the c-clip is one of the maine dowfalls of the 44a then?

ArloGuthroJeep
02-29-2008, 10:47 AM
why exactly do you want to get rid of the c clips if the disks/ calipers will hold the shaft in if it breaks? just curious... is there some other reason you wish to eliminate the c clips?

edit: could you get the 44a with drums, or is it disks only?

Disk only.

I don't think I have ever seen someone list C-clips as the main downfall of the 44a. The downfall is the aluminum center section and limited aftermarket parts availability.

Ted_Z
02-29-2008, 12:38 PM
I realise that the caliper will hold it in but i figured it wouldnt be to good for the caliper or disk to have that side pressure on it. If im out in the middle of nowhere and break a c clip i dont know how good it would be to wheel all the way out with the axle shafte pushing on the caliper.
Maybe its not a big deal tho? Why does everybody say that the c-clip is one of the maine dowfalls of the 44a then?

I've never seen an actual c-clip break. Typically the axle shaft breaks at the splines, so the splined section and the c-clip stay in the carrier and the rest of the axle shaft falls out (for drum brakes). Obviously, for non-clip axles or ones with disk brakes that axle can't go anyware when you snap the axle shaft. That said, we're talking about semi float axles here so if you snap the axle shaft you're screwed and are going to trash the axle if you keep wheeling on it (destroy wheel bearing, grind bits of axle shaft into R/P, tweak housing etc.)

Maybe the best answer is to carry spare shafts? I've got a set of ZJ D44A shafts that I plan to bring to GSW '08. Cheap insurance.

Skyline
02-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Another thing you can do to reduce the odds of breakage is you can get alloy shafts for the 44hd. I have them in my 44, and I carry the stock shafts as spares. Not what I would call cheap insurance, but I got these second hand, and the were not that much.

piku303
02-29-2008, 03:33 PM
seriously how many times have you heard of people breaking an d44a axle shaft? i hear more about 35s(no suprise) and 60 shafts breaking than anything. granted people wheeling 60's are pushing huge tires but up to 35s id say your safe on that thing.

jsteves
02-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Either carry spares or be willing to leave your jeep and come back with a replacement shaft.

IslandZJ
02-29-2008, 05:07 PM
i'll be carrying spare shafts for sure. Maybe buy these from yukon and use the stockers for spares. http://cgi.ebay.ca/96-98-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-ZJ-LH-Rear-Axle-Dana-44HD_W0QQitemZ260119780467QQihZ016QQcategoryZ33728 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247Q QcmdZViewItem I was just under the inpression that the c clips broke also.
Ill also be making a truss and a skid for it. I'm gonna tie the truss into the valve cover bolts as well to help keep the pumpkin more solid to the tubes. Any other suggestions to beef it up.

ATL ZJ
02-29-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm gonna tie the truss into the valve cover bolts as well.

That'll be one huge truss to go from the rear axle all the way to the motor!

cooperzj
02-29-2008, 05:16 PM

LOL. Yeah, I think he means the Diff cover bolts. LOL

I'd like to see how your going to do that though.

IslandZJ
02-29-2008, 05:16 PM

Oh fuck. ya my bad. Diff cover bolts. what can i say. its been a rough day so far.

IslandZJ
02-29-2008, 05:18 PM
LOL. Yeah, I think he means the Diff cover bolts. LOL

I'd like to see how your going to do that though.

Just make the front of the truss come down in front of the diff cover. just use the top bolt. not all the way around.

Ted_Z
02-29-2008, 08:41 PM
My skid/truss:
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13700