PDA

View Full Version : tonights school work, overhead mig

violatedppl
02-28-2008, 02:43 AM
finally finished my open root overhead mig and now I get to start practice for my 3G mig test. heres some pics

sevenslats
02-28-2008, 03:15 AM
not bad. looks a little hot. overhead's a bitch. My neck/shoulder hurts after a few minutes.
Is that 1/4" steel?

violatedppl
02-28-2008, 03:27 AM
one set is half inch the other is 3/8"s

OverkillZJ
02-28-2008, 11:38 AM
That's a hell of a lot better than I can do over-head... if it's not something flat in front of me where I'm comftorable, I can't weld for shit!

BigDaveZJ
02-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Hate overhead as well. A horizontal bead overhead isn't too bad, but a vertical bead overhead? Fawk, I might as well use duct tape.

AndyZJ
03-02-2008, 04:33 PM
How did you guys weld on your cross-members then? I think those beads look real good for overhead.

nate
03-02-2008, 04:53 PM
I don't mind upside down welding, just when I am lying down and all the sparks are shooting on me sucks. Last year I was welding on something and I went to stop the bead and a big piece of slag fell off the gun, across my arm, across my shirt and right into my belly bottom. Got infected pretty bad.

violatedppl
03-03-2008, 01:32 AM
um it wouldnt be so bad if you wear leathers, for most I just wear cap sleeves but for overhead and out of position work I wear a full jacket. Once you get used to it its not that bad.

5.9 ANDY
03-03-2008, 08:13 PM
wearing good leathers makes all the difference, when i am in all leathers, upsidedown is no issues for me.

nate
03-03-2008, 08:21 PM
I usually just wear a T shirt and jeans. I got a welding jacket for Christmas though.

AndyZJ
03-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Yea I take it if you're the type of guy who wears a tshirt when welding then you've done your fair share of stopping a shouting "hot hot hot" as some slag rolled down your back. I was doing some overhead welding on exhaust and due to slag finding that space between the mask and my head I now have a bald spot in my left eyebrow.

5.9 ANDY
03-03-2008, 10:29 PM
one time i was welding overhead with leathers and no gloves, and a piece of slag went down and under my jacket next to my back, and i was running around for a while yelling " HOT HOT HOT"

violatedppl
03-04-2008, 02:40 AM
only two real burns one on my collar bone from overhead and another on my forearm do to that little space where the botton at the end of the sleeve is that has an open space, molten slag dropped in their landed on my arm, still managed to stop the bead in a away it would make an easy restart. Ive just gotten used to getting burns and learn to deal with it.

rccolacc
03-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Yea I take it if you're the type of guy who wears a tshirt when welding then you've done your fair share of stopping a shouting "hot hot hot" as some slag rolled down your back. I was doing some overhead welding on exhaust and due to slag finding that space between the mask and my head I now have a bald spot in my left eyebrow.

Not long ago I was welding on a muffler with a MIG running flux-core. I was laying on the ground with my head tilted and I got some slag right down my ear. It sizzled and popped- like steak on a grill. It hurt pretty good for a few days. I don't really want to do that again...
-RC

LILL ZJ
03-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Welding on the bottom of quarters, and putting rocker patch panels on i get that a lot. The girlfreind is asways telling me to clean my ears out, but i dont think i want that shit falling down my ears without some wax in there to put it out.Usually only hurts for a minute.

AndyZJ
03-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Haha, hurray excuses to be dirty. Shit I can't imagine slag in the ear. Anyone have slag burn through their pants and hit their nuts yet?

nate
03-04-2008, 08:29 PM
I wear ear plugs when I'm welding for the most parts since I'm probably cutting and grinding steel as well.

I've never freaked out over a piece of hot metal on me. I finished my weld, got up and got it off of me. Yes it hurts a little, but no reason to freak out and jump around.

LILL ZJ
03-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Jeas do i feel stupid, i think i'll try the ear plug trick.Yeah i like when they fall in the shoes, and you cant get em off quick enough. I cant say that i've ever burned my nuts though....... thanx for the tip nate

violatedppl
03-06-2008, 02:38 AM
when welding and in general shop work, steel toe boots are your friend.

piku303
03-06-2008, 03:01 AM
when welding and in general shop work, steel toe boots are your friend.

i have a friend who was welded to the metal floor cause his boots where steel...his friend came up behind him and tacked his foot too it:D

96_zjlarado
03-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Haha, hurray excuses to be dirty. Shit I can't imagine slag in the ear. Anyone have slag burn through their pants and hit their nuts yet?

unfortunately yes, but thankfully it was just a little one. I was sitting "indian style" while doing an overhead weld when that lil bastard dropped from the gun and as soon as it let go, i knew where it was going. I kinda froze up when it landed right beside my zipper. but i snapped out of it pretty quick while watching it burn my jeans and drop right down on my sack. my girlfriend was VERY sympathetic and took really REALLY good care of my "burn". :D

Ohl, BTW violatedppl.... the welds look good man. keep up the hard work.