PDA

View Full Version : bearing seperator worth it?

death-mobile
02-20-2008, 02:01 AM
http://completeoffroad.com/i-122835-carrier-pinion-bearing-puller.html

Is this tool worth the money? Or do you just burn them off and buy a set of set-up bearings?

nate
02-20-2008, 02:26 AM
That is make by Randy's R&P. Check with them, I remember it being a bit cheaper.

Very worth it if your doing alot of diff work.

death-mobile
02-20-2008, 02:46 AM
Cool. I was thinking about getting it. I know it's the same one as Randy's, I just came up with the question while I was on that site. I suppose after doing a few different diff's, you'd have yourself a pretty big collection of set-up bearings.

ArloGuthroJeep
02-20-2008, 10:44 AM
It makes setting up bearings on a diff SOOOO much easier.

OverkillZJ
02-20-2008, 11:35 AM
I've heard it's much easier than typical bearing seperater crap that I'm using... :cool:

MoonWorks
02-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Never used that one. I have a bearing puller set I got from HF for ~$30. Much easier and quicker than cutting them off that's for sure. I wouldn't spend that much for one though.

FWIW...i'm not a fan of completeoffroad either. I dont' understand a business that refuses to answer their only business line. You call, leave them a message and they say they'll call you back within 48 hrs. That's BS. It's a business and without customers, you have no business...answer the damn phone. Sorry, had a few warranties I've had to deal with with them on gears. Rant off :)

DJJordache
02-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Never used that one. I have a bearing puller set I got from HF for ~$30. giant turd! I bent the hell outta that one! I just got lucky since they have such a good return policy and even the sales guy that returned it was laughing how much I bent it up:D

MoonWorks
02-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Used mine quite a bit without problem. Not defending it much since it is a $30 tool from HF but still. How'd you bend it? Seems pretty rigid once it's int he "frame" you have to use.

death-mobile
02-20-2008, 03:29 PM
giant turd! I bent the hell outta that one! I just got lucky since they have such a good return policy and even the sales guy that returned it was laughing how much I bent it up:D

Giant Turd = 350 dollar tool or 30 dollar tool?

MoonWorks
02-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Giant Turd = 350 dollar tool or 30 dollar tool?

He's speaking about the HF $30 puller I was speaking of.

Sudz
02-20-2008, 06:54 PM
get some pricing from Yukon vendors on pirate - you'll get it a helluva lot cheaper than that

writeup (http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/tech/billavista/PR-ARB/articles/Randys_Carrier_Bearing_Puller_Review)

death-mobile
02-20-2008, 07:46 PM
yea i've read that thread before. thanks for the heads up though. I'll browse around pirate and see how cheap I can get the tooling. it's definitely worth my while to own the tool though.

JpRngr
02-21-2008, 01:40 AM
http://completeoffroad.com/i-122835-carrier-pinion-bearing-puller.html

Is this tool worth the money? Or do you just burn them off and buy a set of set-up bearings?

For me, it was definitely worth the money. I used to use set up bearings when I first did gears, but had too many that the patterns changed after installing the new bearings. With this tool you don't have to worry about it changing. And, it's actually pretty quick to R&R the bearings with it.

Corey

death-mobile
02-21-2008, 01:47 AM
So you actually go right from the start with new bearings and just pull them on and off to get the right readings?

nate
02-21-2008, 02:54 AM
If you are setting up the gears by taking measurements (like you are supposed to) and not just trial and error, you shouldn't have to pull the bearings off too many times.... really just to fine tube backlash would be all.

Randy's sells the kit to take the pinion depth measurement.

death-mobile
02-21-2008, 03:39 AM
Well with a dana 30 for instance, you can mic up the shim pack and start with that, but if you are changing the carrier, sometimes it doesn't get you too close. Measuring pinion depth only works on certain axles.

MoonWorks
02-21-2008, 09:38 AM
I used to use set up bearings when I first did gears, but had too many that the patterns changed after installing the new bearings. With this tool you don't have to worry about it changing. And, it's actually pretty quick to R&R the bearings with it.

Corey

That's why you want to use a setup bearing thats the same brand as the one during your final install. So for me...I have Timken setup bearings so I always get Timken bearings for my final install. Pulling bearings on and off (off mainly) will fuck the cage up. Heat and Vibration are the two main reasons for bearing failure. So go on and tweak that cage and see how long it will last you. So there's NO way I'd pull any carrier on and off numerous times.

I had a the inner pinion bearing fail (exploded/fell apart, what ever :) )on me last sept. Let just say it didn't do nice things to the ring, and carrier.

So you actually go right from the start with new bearings and just pull them on and off to get the right readings?

No, that's not the right way to do it!

If you are setting up the gears by taking measurements (like you are supposed to) and not just trial and error, you shouldn't have to pull the bearings off too many times.... really just to fine tube backlash would be all.

Randy's sells the kit to take the pinion depth measurement.

Sure there's a pinion depth tool. And it's a good thing to have to get your initial measurement but I disagree with the fact that you'll never have to adjust the pinion depth a little after the initial set. Either way it's a mute point for the most part with the pinion since you shim under the race to adjust the pinion depth.

I've gotten "lucky" on a few gear installs where i've gotten a good pattern within specs within just a couple mins. I've had others where it took me hours to get it where I wanted/needed.

death-mobile
02-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Yes, and that is why I like this tool. You can cleanly pull the old bearings off, grind the ID down a bit, and have a nice set of set-up bearings.

Skyline
02-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Is there a reason that this special tool will work better than something like this (in combination with a hydraulic press):
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/OBJECTS/21900/21896.JPG

nate
02-21-2008, 08:17 PM
That ends up ruining the bearings. The "fingers" are too thick and it pulls the bearing by the cage.

Preppi..

If you use the pinion depth measuring tool, you should be able to build your shim pack and it will be correct. Then you just shim your carrier for backlash.

If you haven't read the book "Differentials" take a look sometime. Lots of great info.

You can measure the pinion depth on just about all axles, it's just a matter of having the right tools though. Most of the Dana axles use the same setup.

MoonWorks
02-22-2008, 01:31 AM
If you haven't read the book "Differentials" take a look sometime. Lots of great info.

Wouldn't that take time from drinking beer in the garage though? I hate reading for the most part but I might have to check it out sometime.

IndyZJ
02-22-2008, 01:39 AM
Wouldn't that take time from drinking beer in the garage though? I hate reading for the most part but I might have to check it out sometime.

why not drink beer and read at the same time? got me through calc...:D if you're planning on setting up a lot of gears i'd get the puller. if not i'd just grind out some set up bearings.

MoonWorks
02-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Indy...if you talking to me about the puller...I already have one.

I guess I could read the book in the garage while drinking...but don't think it'd be the same. :)

death-mobile
02-22-2008, 04:06 PM
the tool seems too handy not to have, so I'm going to just buy the damn thing.

anyone know where to get a good deal on one?

ArloGuthroJeep
02-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Post #11 ...you even replied to it;)

death-mobile
02-22-2008, 04:52 PM
haha yea i know, i'm being lazy

but also...i cant login to pirate for some reason, ive tried for the last couple of days.